PDA

View Full Version : Typical Negro Names in the U.S.

Nordgau
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2003, 02:49 PM
Okay, it's indeed masochistic, but the posts in the other thread were deleted, so now again:

What are "typical Negro names", first names and last names? :giggle

Vojvoda
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2003, 03:57 PM
Okay, it's indeed masochistic, but the posts in the other thread were deleted, so now again:

What are "typical Negro names", first names and last names? :giggle

Leroy Jones :pimp

Stríbog
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2003, 05:13 PM
Last names:
Jones
Robinson
Smith
Williams
Jackson
Johnson
Brown
White

First names: they make so many up it's hard to say, but:
LeRoy
Jamal
various misspellings of Antoine
Curtis
various misspellings of Dante
imaginary names ending in -ious
names ending in -tel like Dontel, Shontel, Montel

Female names often involve -eesha/isha e.g. Shonqeesha
Usually any name combining Sh-, q, and n is an acceptable female name

hardcorps
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2003, 06:09 PM
First names: they make so many up it's hard to say, but:
LeRoy
Jamal
various misspellings of Antoine
Curtis
various misspellings of Dante
imaginary names ending in -ious
names ending in -tel like Dontel, Shontel, Montel

Female names often involve -eesha/isha e.g. Shonqeesha
Usually any name combining Sh-, q, and n is an acceptable female name

I've wondered if this notable Afro-American preference for French-sounding (though largely contrived) firstnames relates to that whole Cajun/Creole Louisiana thing. The French settlers here perhaps showed a greater acceptance of negros than British/Irish settlers elsewhere in the US? I think intermarriage was more common there than elsewhere:shrug

Götterschicksal
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2003, 06:32 PM
Kobe Rapist

Nordgau
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2003, 03:46 PM
Perhaps I'm wrong, but is it possible that abnormal many Negroes in the U. S. have the name "Washington"? - as first and as last name. LOL, compare "Nelson" Mandela and "Martin Luther" King. I think in Afrika many Negroes are named "Napoleon", too. And what's with the many Negroes with the name "Cesar" or - "César"! :rofl I don't know what's going on in Negro parents in the slums and ghettos when they give their children the names of great white men.

LOL, I hope they won't "discover" one day Bismarck or the names of Germanic gods. :stop

Stríbog
Thursday, July 24th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Perhaps I'm wrong, but is it possible that abnormal many Negroes in the U. S. have the name "Washington"? - as first and as last name. LOL, compare "Nelson" Mandela and "Martin Luther" King. I think in Afrika many Negroes are named "Napoleon", too. And what's with the many Negroes with the name "Cesar" or - "César"! :rofl I don't know what's going on in Negro parents in the slums and ghettos when they give their children the names of great white men.

LOL, I hope they won't "discover" one day Bismarck or the names of Germanic gods. :stop

Actually a lot of Negroes in the US are named Napoleon. They have an affinity for French or pseudo-French names, as has been mentioned.

Fenris
Thursday, July 24th, 2003, 08:20 PM
your guideline for female names is absolutely spot on, anything with a -queesha suffix seems fair game, regardless of whether or not it's a real, extant name.