PDA

View Full Version : The Trollkyrka

Ryan
Monday, June 13th, 2005, 12:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollkyrka

Stumbled on this article, it's rather interesting. Anyone heard of this before or know of any legitimacy to it? Also, the dates listed for the practice make me think it's much more likely to have been some nationalist romanticist reconstruction then a legitimate left over of pagan times.

Oskorei
Monday, June 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I have never heard about it. Tiveden is rather isolated though, so it might have some truth in it. The latest remnants of paganism I've heard about was worship of Thorburnr in Lapland, in the remote north, in the 18th century.

It is probably just folklore and myth.

Ryan
Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Update:
Some associates of mine in Sweden assure me that this is in fact legitimate. The practices no longer occur, but they did at one point and they were legitimate left overs. Apperently this was not uncommon in the isolated areas of Sweden and Norway up until as recently as the early 20th century.

morfrain_encilgar
Wednesday, June 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Update:
Some associates of mine in Sweden assure me that this is in fact legitimate. The practices no longer occur, but they did at one point and they were legitimate left overs. Apperently this was not uncommon in the isolated areas of Sweden and Norway up until as recently as the early 20th century.

What evidence did they tell you?

Ryan
Wednesday, June 15th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I am not all certain about the authenticity of the poem itself, but there has certainly been a long continuity of cultic practice in Tiveden around Trollkyrkan, and in particular around Stenkälla - that's certain. Småland as whole has always been a "heathen nest", so to say. In the first Swedish ethnological work "Wärend och Wirdarne" there are loads and loads of references to heathen cult and living pre-christian practices (some of the written material is preserved from the 1600's), and a lot of specific places are mentioned, among them Stenkälla if I am not wrong. Another place in Tiveden is "Junker Jägares Sten", which has a legend obviously connected to Odin cult and even berserker/männerbunde cult.
Nothing definite, but I personally would prefer to believe.