PDA

View Full Version : 'Rambo IV': The Return of Rambo?

Braunhemd
Tuesday, May 31st, 2005, 07:36 PM
The Return of Rambo
Source: Nu Image/Millennium Films May 29, 2005

US-based film production company Nu Image/Millennium Films have acquired the film rights to the "Rambo" film franchise from Miramax/Dimension Films, with principal shooting for Rambo IV to begin in Sofia, Bulgaria in January 2006, with filming locations in India and the USA.

Sylvester Stallone, the Italian-American film actor who played the titular role in the "Rambo" film trilogy, signed with Nu Image/Millennium Films to begin Rambo IV in May 2005, stating that the production company had optioned a book for the new "Rambo," for which he has adapted a complete script, likening it to vengeance films like Deliverance and Straw Dogs. According to Stallone, the new plotline sees the character of Rambo as having "assimilated into the tapestry of America," living with his family in relative peace for the past fifteen years but still working for the military, when work pressures force him to move his family to the American outback. The Navajo-Indian former Green Beret and his family are then subject to an attack by white-supremacists, and Rambo has to risk life-and-limb in rescuing his 10-year old daughter from being held hostage.

Commentators have noted that the premise of the film is similar to one touted by Stallone in 1997, following the Oklahoma bombings, and comparisons have been drawn with the US federal government's attack at Ruby Ridge in 1991, including the role played by former Green Beret Colonel James "Bo" Gritz.

Nu Image Films, the owners of the film rights for "Rambo," was established in 1992 by Avi Lerner, a veteran film producer from Israel, and has annually produced 15 to 18 low-budget and foreign-sale films. In 1996, Nu Image formed Millennium Films to address the market's growing need for quality art films and higher budget action features. Since 1999, Nu Image has filmed 40 films at their studios in Sofia, Bulgaria, and Millennium Films now has titles on its slate with budgets of up to $68 million. These include Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia, starring Scarlett Johansson, Josh Hartnett and Hilary Swank, Edison, a film starring Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey and Justin Timberlake, 16 Blocks starring Bruce Willis and the remake of the 1973 thriller The Wicker Man, starring Nicolas Cage.

Nu Image/Millennium Films had a co-production deal with Miramax/Dimension Films, which had been in place till the Weinstein Brothers left both companies. Nu Image/Millennium Films acquired the rights to the "Rambo" film franchise, with their chairman, Lerner, stating that Stallone is "one of the smartest guys I know."

Having persuaded Stallone to co-star with a younger actor in Rambo IV, Lerner is confident about the film's future success. "It's a franchise," he says. "If No. 4 works, then you have a No. 5." Nu Image recently announced plans to produce Poe, a film about the life and works of gothic author, Edgar Allen Poe, to the screen with Stallone helming the director's chair for the first time since 1985's smash-hit, Rocky IV, and scheduled to begin production prior to Rambo IV.

The international scale of Alpha1Media's "Holy War" treatment has been envisaged as a plausible future instalment for the franchise, with several elements being utilised for Rambo IV, including the return to Rambo's Navajo roots and domestication for the super-soldier with wife and family. Miramax Films received the first draft of "Rambo IV: Holy War" in October 2003, during which the Rambo film saga was still in development hell. In October 2004, Alpha1Media released an early draft of the film treatment on the internet, drawing global fervour and controversy, and reviving interest in the film franchise for producers and audiences alike.

Many of the films released in April and May 2005 have themes and references which featured in the "Holy War" treatment from October 2003. Sydney Pollack's The Interpreter was set and filmed at the United Nations Building in New York, the scene for much of the action in early drafts of "Holy War". Lee Tamahori's XXX: State of the Union, about a radical splinter group of American military dissenters attempting to overthrow the United States government shared many thematic concerns as the controversial treatment. Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven is a sweeping epic set during the Crusades, concerned with a medieval 'Clash of Civilisations' in contrast to "Holy War"'s contemporary reading. Alpha1Media have been in discussions with Nu Image for a new and revised script treatment for the "Rambo" film franchise since March 2005.

Acclaimed Indian film actor, Amitabh Bachchan, who had the role of UN Secretary-General Amit Talian in "Holy War" written specially for him, was appointed UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in New York in April 2005. "I feel greatly honoured that UNICEF has chosen me to be a Goodwill Ambassador, and to be able to propagate the issues that UNICEF is associated with, in India and elsewhere," said Mr. Bachchan. Nu Image is also scouting for film locations for Rambo IV in Mumbai and Nagpur, further enhancing speculation that Indian film actor, Hrithik Roshan, will assume the role of Rambo's Afghani-American step-son, Hamid, as intended in the "Holy War" treatment.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9819 (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9819)

Death and the Sun
Wednesday, June 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM
:O

This time it's WE who are the bad guys.

According to Stallone, the new plotline sees the character of Rambo as having "assimilated into the tapestry of America", living with his family - including daughter - in relative peace for the past fifteen years but still working for the military, when work pressures force him to move his family to the American outback. The Navajo-Indian former Green Beret and his family are then subject to an attack by white-supremacists, and Rambo has to risk life-and-limb in rescuing his 10-year old daughter from being held hostage.

Well, what can you expect from a former ally of the Taliban.

:coffee:

More: http://www.moviehole.net/news/5695.html

Arcturus
Wednesday, June 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM
"Colonel, if you came here to try and save that race-traitor, you're out of luck."
"I didn't come here to save John Rambo from the white race, I came to save the white race from John Rambo."

:rolleyes:

Death and the Sun
Wednesday, June 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM
Well, at least Sly has got something right:

Today's idea of an action hero is Orlando Bloom. Orlando Bloom? Give me a break! I'm still in my prime and I look forward to showing fans the real action hero again."

Zyklop
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Stallone to make new Rambo movie

http://newsfeed.tcm.ie/images/people/sylvesterstallone2.jpg

31/10/2005 - 15:44:57

Movie hardman Sylvester Stallone is making a fourth Rambo movie, seventeen years after the last film was made.

The news comes shortly after Stallone announced plans for a sixth Rocky film in 2006.

Rambo IV will see former Vietnam veteran John J Rambo retired into a quiet life until he gets involved in the case of a missing child.

The movie will be shot between Mexico and the United States.

Filming is scheduled to start in the spring.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=160991298&p=y6x99zxx4

Arcturus
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 05:06 PM
"The case of a missing child"... My god they're going all out on plot-originality with this one...:rolleyes:

Arc sez: Don't kick a dead horse, you'll just end up looking like an ass.

Zyklop
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 05:12 PM
Rambo II and III were crap, but I really like the first Rambo movie. The forest scenery and the soundtrack are quite captivating.

Arcturus
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Agreed. I also like the book First Blood which the first movie is based on, there are some differences from the movie which I feel work better..:book2:

http://www.ffbooks.co.uk/images/n0/n986.jpg
First sentence of the book:
His name was Rambo, and he was just some nothing kid for all anybody knew, standing by the pump of a gas station at the outskirts of Madison, Kentucky

Arcturus
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 05:35 PM
Found this old quote from Stallone on Wikipedia: "It won't be what you think - not the same Rambo with the headband. In keeping with some sort of believability, he would be passing the torch to a younger generation of high-tech combatants. We're working on an interesting premise where Rambo is brought back from living on a ranch somewhere, and because of his skills in jungle warfare and survival, he's asked to lead a young group in a search-and-rescue mission. They can't believe this decrepit guy is a war hero, but when their technology fails, they see where Rambo excels."

Quite standard stuff, but I like this more than the typical "saving the daughter from the bad men" scenario... Too bad they chose to go that way instead.

Constantinus
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 07:56 PM
I just love the 80s action genre where rough tough white one-man-armies rid the world of communists, drugdealers and liberals by shooting first and then totally forgetting to ask questions, but that genre died when Rambo allied himself with bin laden's thugs. :(

Arcturus
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 08:02 PM
The lone male hero has died too; nowadays its almost only women playing the invincible warriors, especially on TV(Charmed, Xena, Buffy, Birds of Prey, etc etc etc).

Constantinus
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 08:07 PM
Pfft, no match for Ahnuld, Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson and, above all, the incredible Clint Eastwood. If you can stomach watching an entire Xena episode, you can see how few bad guys die. Compare that to what good ole' dirty Harry would do. Such a losss.

Zyklop
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Btw, since Im just watching the DVD, did you know that the only person who gets killed in First Blood is the guy falling from the helicopter? All others just get wounded, including the sheriff at the end.

Constantinus
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 08:42 PM
I never noticed that to be honest.

RoyBatty
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 10:30 PM
:O
This time it's WE who are the bad guys.

Well, what can you expect from a former ally of the Taliban.

:coffee:

More: http://www.moviehole.net/news/5695.html

The only Rambo film I thought was reasonably OK was the first one. The 2 sequels (now 3) are trash becoming progressively worse. Funny thing about Rambo is that he's always involved in the wrong war with the wrong people at the wrong time.

It's pathetic how Hollywood portrays White people. In the "Butterfly Effect" a couple of "Aryan Nation brothers" first discuss whether Ashton's blood is "pure" before allowing him to perform an act of prison submission. WW2 movies usually have Nazi types straight from a Castle Wolfenstein environment and Middle Eastern themed films always show Arab fanatics and righteous heroic Israelis....... yawwwwwn.

DreamWalker
Monday, October 31st, 2005, 10:39 PM
Compare that to what good ole' dirty Harry would do. Such a losss.
Yes, in one movie he wacked 4-5 'groids before he even got to work, just stopping for coffee and a newspaper on the way in:D

Constantinus
Tuesday, November 1st, 2005, 08:40 AM
Yes, in one movie he wacked 4-5 'groids before he even got to work, just stopping for coffee and a newspaper on the way in:D

Oh God yes, we need cops like that in real life.

Erzherzog_Bernd
Monday, November 7th, 2005, 12:29 AM
The lone male hero has died too; nowadays its almost only women playing the invincible warriors, especially on TV(Charmed, Xena, Buffy, Birds of Prey, etc etc etc).

Very true Arc!!! I don't know if you watched "Underworld" but it's the same there. The Female version of a Blade, only she is a Vampire killing of Werewolfes.

In the movie itself I did like the "Viktor" Character as he could be seen as a "Nationalist" since He even killed his own daughter for the preservation of His kind. She was a mixer, pregnant with a Lycan mix, in the end however the idiotic Female-Blade thing killed him off(She is a mixer as well, falling for a half-lycan half-vampire mix).

Sorry if you didn't watch the movie and I spoiled it :confused:

Back to the point though, I've seen this in numerous films, Terminator 1 had a bad-ass female kicking robot butt. Terminator 3 had a female "Stronger and faster then her male counterpart"(Though not a lone hero) there is numerous of these "Flower power" films out there.

Thobjorn
Monday, November 7th, 2005, 01:07 AM
kind of off topic, but this made me think: we are wanting(for some of us, fighting) to save them, and yet so much of the rabble would rather see us die, than help us off the ground, because of propoganda like this...atleast if they knew what we thought, the crime going on in our head's. i think sam clemens hit the nail on the head when he said "In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." :speechles