PDA

View Full Version : "No such thing as safe time for sex"

Loki
Thursday, July 10th, 2003, 08:23 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/5683597?source=Evening%20Standard

'No such thing as safe time for sex'

By Mark Prigg, Evening Standard
10 July 2003

New research indicates there is no "safe" time to have sex for millions of women using natural birth control methods.

Extraordinary new findings appear to show that some women may ovulate up to three times a month - rather than just once as previously thought.

If true, the discovery will overturn more than 50 years of medical orthodoxy and could signal the end of natural birth control. It may also lead to more effective forms of contraceptive pills and radical changes in fertility treatments such as IVF.

The man leading the Canadian study said today he was "flabbergasted" by the results, adding: "It may be the case that for a large proportion of the female population, natural birth control is simply not an option."

However, the findings are likely to be greeted with heavy scepticism from the medical and scientific community, who will want to see more evidence. The vast majority of experts believe women only ovulate once a month.

The new research will be published this week in the journal Fertility and Sterility. Previously, it was believed around a dozen egg follicles grew during the menstrual cycle. From these, it was thought only one egg was released each month. This knowledge was based on blood samples and menstrual diaries taken from women.

However, the new study involved taking high resolution ultrasound scans of more than 60 women every day so that each follicle could be tracked.

It found that women experience two to three hormone surges each month, each with the potential to produce an egg. A total of 10 per cent of the women in the study were found to produce more than one egg in each cycle.

Dr Roger Pierson, the director of the Reproductive Biology Research Unit at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon who led the study, said: "It appears nobody actually carried out a detailed analysis before. We are literally going to have to re-write medical textbooks."

While he stressed that the research was still at an early stage, he believes it could have monumental effects for both contraception and fertility treatments.

He said: "We all know people trying to use natural family planning, and we have a word for those people. We call them parents." If true, the discovery could also have a big impact on the development of oral contraceptives, as scientists will now have a much better idea of exactly what happens throughout the menstrual cycle.

Dr Pierson claims the research should also lead to improvements in IVF treatment.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Thursday, July 10th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Loki

Extraordinary new findings appear to show that some women may ovulate up to three times a month - rather than just once as previously thought.

[/B]

:wtf

I really don't like the sound of this...

:doh :sprint

I hope that they will actually develop a decent contraceptive. What they do to a womans body is awful! I was looking forward to the day where I would be comfortable/secure enough to rely on just the natural method. Now there may not be one? :sick

Evolved
Friday, July 11th, 2003, 05:27 PM
It sounds like they want to make pills stronger, and perhaps render women infertile? It's mostly 1st world white women who use birth control pills. :worried

I personally don't want some jew doctor peeping into my privates and giving me pills that mess with my natural reproductive functions. I also don't like condoms because it just doesn't feel right. :emb.. :scratch so I guess the oldfashioned contraception is best, until we want to make babies. :baby :baby :baby

Stríbog
Friday, July 11th, 2003, 10:44 PM
When in doubt, pull out.

BTW I didn't know you spoke Korean, LG ;)

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Saturday, July 12th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Stríbog
When in doubt, pull out.

:smilies

I've heard that doesn't always work! Or maybe it is a conspiracy to try to get all the white women on birth control? :D

CelticLover
Saturday, July 12th, 2003, 02:09 AM
When in doubt, pull out.

By that time, sometimes it is too late...

Evolved
Saturday, July 12th, 2003, 03:57 AM
:D It works, just not when the guy is quick on the draw.. :draw

I think the Catholic church doesn't allow pulling out, contraception, abortion or masturbation! What the hell are people supposed to do, constantly procreate? People would go crazy and landfills would be full of diapers. :burst

What kind of person takes sexual advice from an old and decrepit 1/4 jew p-o-l-a-c-k virgin in a funny hat? :pope

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Saturday, July 12th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ladygoeth33
:D It works, just not when the guy is quick on the draw.. :draw

I think the Catholic church doesn't allow pulling out, contraception, abortion or masturbation! What the hell are people supposed to do, constantly procreate? People would go crazy and landfills would be full of diapers. :burst

What kind of person takes sexual advice from an old and decrepit 1/4 jew p-o-l-a-c-k virgin in a funny hat? :pope

Hey, lady, that's POLAK, and I happen to like the hat! :insulted

:D

I think when it comes to sex advice from Jew "Poles", better to go to the Pope than Roman Polanski :scared

Stríbog
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 03:07 AM
"People from Poland are Poles. They are not Polaks." :D

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 03:15 AM
"People from Poland are Poles. They are not Polaks." :D

Nice quote! You made my day! :worship

Evolved
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 06:33 AM
I love Poles, except when they burn my pierogies.. :burst

Stríbog
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 06:38 AM
I want some pierogies... it's been so long since I've had any....
:puppyeyes

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 10:08 PM
I told you I would make you some Stribog! :D

ooooh and today I am making some borscht! yum!!

Scáthach
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 11:04 PM
the catholic church DO expect constant procreation. i used to live beside a family who had 9 children and the mother saw the virgin mary.........i wish i was joking.

Milesian
Sunday, July 13th, 2003, 11:38 PM
I don't think the Catholic Church expects constant pro-creation.
It isn't even opposed to contraception on the whole, just artificial contraception, that is by using pills, jellies, condoms, foams, IUD's etc.

I heard they have updated their natural method based around the woman's mentrual cycle. They claim it is a far more superior method to the old "Rythmn Method" which was notoriously unreliable, with the new one having a success rate of about 96%.
Don't know how true that is, though.
Ultimately no contraception is 100% guaranteed (apart from abstinence. Shock Horror! lol!)

Ultimately the Church doesn't force people to keep having children. What they do say is that self-control should be the solution. Actually I think they place to much faith in human nature. Supposedly men and women are supposed to be superior to animals and not slaves to their drives and impulses, but from experience I think they grossly over-estimate us! ;)

As for that Jew sitting on the Apostolic Throne, contraception, abortion and women's ordination are about the only points of faith that he hasn't turned on it's head. Maybe he'll leave that honour to the next Jew/Mason/Homosexual that they appoint as Pope.

Fenris
Thursday, July 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM
When in doubt, pull out.

Wild horses couldn't pull me out when it comes to that moment. LOL

_Vé_
Thursday, August 28th, 2003, 04:02 PM
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/5683597?source=Evening%20Standard

'No such thing as safe time for sex'

By Mark Prigg, Evening Standard
10 July 2003

New research indicates there is no "safe" time to have sex for millions of women using natural birth control methods.

This is just a ploy to get us to buy more pills!

I don't believe a word of it.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Sunday, August 31st, 2003, 05:40 AM
This is just a ploy to get us to buy more pills!

I don't believe a word of it.

You could be right. Also, I think the government wants to regulate the amount of children born...but in exchange they bring in third world immigrants :shrug