Aren't you British Loki, or have i utterly misinterpreted things, yet again :D

Conquistador
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Scathach
Aren't you British Loki, or have i utterly misinterpreted things, yet again :D

He's South African (white), I believe.

Saoirse
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Most White South Africans are English/British descent.

Conquistador
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Irish Nationalist
Most White South Africans are English/British descent.

I thought they were mostly of Dutch descent.

Milesian
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Well the Boers are primarily of Dutch descent, I'm pretty sure of that. No doubt there is British descendents there too from the days of the Empire.

Loki
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Milesian
Well the Boers are primarily of Dutch descent, I'm pretty sure of that. No doubt there is British descendents there too from the days of the Empire.

To answer all of your questions, yes, I am a South African by birth, of Dutch, German and Danish roots.

Of the white South Africans, about 60% are so-called "Boers" (also called Afrikaners) as Milesian has put it - being descended from Dutch (40%), German (40%), French Huguenot (17%) and other (3%, including various Scandinavian, Swiss, Austrian, etc etc). I am of this type. We speak Afrikaans, the newest Germanic language, having evolved over the past 150 years from 17th century Dutch and Low Saxon.

About 35% are of British colonial extraction, mainly English, but with a significant Irish and Scottish contribution.

The rest are fairly recent German immigrants, and also Jewish, Greek and Portuguese minorities.

Tryggvi
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 07:09 PM
@Scathach: I fear the conversation is all too real. :sick

@Prospero: I agree, it's not funny, rather scary. :scared

@Irish Nationalist: Most white South Africans, about 60%, are Boers/Afrikaners, which are in turn 45% of German, 40% of Dutch and Flemish, 10% of French, and 5% of Scandinavian descent.

The other 40% are mostly English, with a strong German, and minor Greek, Portugese and, more recently, Eastern European minorities.

The majority of South Africans in the U.K. might be English, very possibly, although I wouldn't know. I know that there is a relatively strong Afrikaner community in London in the meantime. Loki will be able to tell you more about it.

I never liked the term "Boer", as it simply means "farmer"; and I despise the term "Afrikaans". My suggestion is to replace it with "Germaans".

Tryggvi
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Loki
Of the white South Africans, about 60% are so-called "Boers" (also called Afrikaners) as Milesian has put it - being descended from Dutch (40%), German (40%), French Huguenot (17%) and other (3%, including various Scandinavian, Swiss, Austrian, etc etc). You stole my German majority. :weep  ;P

Loki
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Tryggvi
You stole my German majority. :weep  ;PLOL.

Your percentages might just be more accurate. Different people state different breakdowns, but they largely agree.

The Dutch/German percentages are quite fluent, since most of the Germans arrived from far northwestern Germany, bordering the Netherlands. And in the seventeenth century, there was no clear division between Netherlands and Germany. These emigrants mainly came from the Hanseatic League cities, which included some cities in Netherlands, northern Germany (Hamburg, Bremen) and the Baltic (Tallinn, Riga).

The Dutch and northern Germans are close racial and linguistic kin - with the Dutch being part Saxon, and the Frisian areas of Netherlands and Germany overlapping.

Loki
Sunday, July 6th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Tryggvi

The majority of South Africans in the U.K. might be English, very possibly, although I wouldn't know. I know that there is a relatively strong Afrikaner community in London in the meantime. Loki will be able to tell you more about it. There is a sizeable South African minority now in London. They are mostly white (I have only a few times met black SA's in London) and are both Afrikaans and English. In my area of London, there are much more Afrikaners than English-speaking SA's. In other areas, more English-speaking. It is impossible to say which is more. All I know is that there are plenty of us here.

I never liked the term "Boer", as it simply means "farmer"; and I despise the term "Afrikaans". My suggestion is to replace it with "Germaans".

Me neither.... I despise both terms. Especially "Afrikaans". It actually means "African", lol. But Afrikaans is now an accepted Germanic language, and it wouldn't be easy to change its name.

Loki
Wednesday, July 30th, 2003, 08:43 PM

CHAPTER I
THE BOER NATIONS

Take a community of Dutchmen of the type of those who defended
themselves for fifty years against all the power of Spain at a time
when Spain was the greatest power in the world. Intermix with them a strain of those inflexible French Huguenots who gave up home and fortune and left their country for ever at the time of the revocation of the Edict of Nantes. The product must obviously be one of the most rugged, virile, unconquerable races ever seen upon earth. Take this formidable people and train them for seven generations in constant warfare against savage men and ferocious beasts, in circumstances under which no weakling could survive, place them so that they acquire exceptional skill with weapons and in horsemanship, give them a country which is eminently suited to the tactics of the huntsman, the marksman, and the rider. Then, finally, put a finer temper upon their military qualities by a dour fatalistic Old Testament religion and an
ardent and consuming patriotism. Combine all these qualities and all these impulses in one individual, and you have the modern Boer -- the most formidable antagonist who ever crossed the path of Imperial Britain. Our military history has largely consisted in our conflicts with France, but Napoleon and all his veterans have never treated us so roughly as these hard-bitten farmers with their ancient theology and their inconveniently modern rifles.

Look at the map of South Africa, and there, in the very centre of the British possessions, like the stone in a peach, lies the great stretch of the two republics, a mighty domain for so small a people. How came they there? Who are these Teutonic folk who have burrowed so deeply into Africa? It is a twice-told tale, and yet it must be told once again if this story is to have even the most superficial of introductions. No one can know or appreciate the Boer who does not know his past, for he is what his past has made him.

Wolfssangel
Sunday, October 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM
My eerste taal is Afrikaans, tweede Engels en bietjie Duits. Boere is nie baie Hollanders nie, maar Boere is 'n afkoms van Hollanders, Duitsers, Frans, Skotte, Iere en ander wit Europeërs.

Ek is 'n Boer-Afrikaner van half-Engels, half-Nederlander en half-Duits.

My first language is Afrkaans, second English and a little German. Boers is not all Dutch, but Boers are 'n desecent van Dutch, Germans, French, Scots, Irish and other white Europeans.

I am a Boer-Afrikaner of half-English, half-Dutch and half-German.:sviking

Horagalles
Saturday, October 8th, 2005, 03:12 PM

@Irish Nationalist: Most white South Africans, about 60%, are Boers/Afrikaners, which are in turn 45% of German, 40% of Dutch and Flemish, 10% of French, and 5% of Scandinavian descent.

The other 40% are mostly English, with a strong German, and minor Greek, Portugese and, more recently, Eastern European minorities.

The majority of South Africans in the U.K. might be English, very possibly, although I wouldn't know. I know that there is a relatively strong Afrikaner community in London in the meantime. Loki will be able to tell you more about it.

I never liked the term "Boer", as it simply means "farmer"; and I despise the term "Afrikaans". My suggestion is to replace it with "Germaans". It's basically like this. White South Africans are mainly Germanic, with some other influences (meditarenean, romanic). Afrikaans sounds close to Flemish. Northern German dialects are similar to dutch. Bismarck and Kruger could understand each other in a conversation. There are about 150.000 SA-born people in Britain. The terms "Boer" / "Afrikaner" are subject to some controversy here which includes hairsplitting over definitions. I do not have any problem with the term "Boer". In fact most ethnic names have a vocational meaning.

Afrikaners lost their freedom more then ten years ago, yet only recently a broader rethinking process took place. Before that it was "accept the situation you do not like".