PDA

View Full Version : Russian Latin script transcription

Aistulf
Thursday, March 24th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Since there exists no official Russian Latin script transcription, nor a non-Germanic lingual/linguistics forum, I decided to show you what I made up; some of my Russian pals seem to even actually like it! :)

Russian in Latin script

а = a
б = b
в = v/w
г = g
д = d
е = e [e/ye]
ё = [yo]
ж = ź [zh]
з = z
и = i
й = j
к = k
л = l
м = m
н = n
о = o
п = p
р = r
с = s
т = t
у = u
ф = f
х = x [Olde English "kh"]
ц = c [ts]
ч = ć [tsh]
ш = ś [sh]
щ = [shch]
ъ = q [`]
ы = y
ь = h [']
э = [eh ('short' "e")]
ю = [yu ("yoo")]
я = [ya]

A few examples:

За ваше здоровье.

Old style (Russian-English Latin) transliteration:
Za vashe zdorov'ye.

My new style of transliteration:
Za vaśe zdorovhe.

Я-голландец.

Ya-gollandets.

-gollandec.

Ещё

Yeshchyo

E

Россия

Rossiya

Rossi

английски

Angliyski

Anglijski

Человек

Chelovyek

Ćelovek

Аэропорт

Aeroport

Aroport

Appalachian
Thursday, March 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Since there exists no official Russian Latin script transcription, nor a non-Germanic lingual/linguistics forum, I decided to show you what I made up; some of my Russian pals seem to even actually like it! :) Interesting, and a nice effort, but I see some potential for confusion here. Some things to consider:

ж = ź [zh]
ц = c [ts]
ч = ć [tsh]
ш = ś [sh]
щ = [shch]
Many of the South Slavic and West Slavic languages already use some of these characters, but in a different way from what you have suggested here. In these languages, / / represents the same phoneme as / ш /, / č / same as / ч /, / / the same as / ж /, etc. Perhaps bringing your transliteration system more into line with these already existing standards for Slavic languages could help avoid some confusion.

Za vashe zdorov'ye.

Za vaśe zdorovhe.
The use of the / h / to represent the Russian myagki znak seems a bit strange to me. When I see the / h /, it makes me think of aspiration rather than the softening that the myagki znak represents. Also, with the already existing transliteration schemes in the back of my mind, seeing / vh / makes me think of something like Polish / wrz / . What is your objection to the use of the / ' / to represent the soft sign?

Additionally, the use of / q / (which almost always, to the best of my knowledge, represents a consonant) to signify the tvyordi znak seems very unusual. What is your thinking here?

Ya-gollandets.

-gollandec.
/ / is interesting, in that it almost looks like the archaic character used to represent the same phoneme in written Old Church Slavonic. :)

Yeshchyo

E Here, again, there is the potential for confusion, since in the extant South Slavic and West Slavic languages, / / represents the / ш / phoneme. On the other hand, / щ / is usually represented, as in the Slovene, by two characters: / č / .

Angliyski

Anglijski
Both of these forms are already widely in use. The first is in keeping with the Library of Congress transliteration scheme, and represents a transliteration that seems clear to Anglo-Americans, whereas the second is widely used by Continental Europeans.

Chelovyek

Ćelovek
See above regarding / č / = / ч / .

Another issue I see here is that for English speakers (and speakers of many other Western languages) who are not wholely facile with the Russian language, / e / alone may not bring across the true sound of the Russian / e / , hence this word's transliteration as / chelovyek / according the LoC system. Perhaps the addition of a diacritic to the character in your transliteration scheme would resolve this issue. Of course, one must be careful here, since the actual phoneme represented by the Russian / e / can change from [ y3 ] to [ i ] or even other variants, depending on word and syllable stress or according to dialectal variations.

Anyway, those are just a few things to think about. Overall, though, this is an interesting experiment. Nice effort!