PDA

View Full Version : Aleister Crowley: Bi-Sexual, Drug-Abuser and Free-Mason

Azdaja
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Bisexual drug-abusing NON-satanist, Aleister Crowley:

Scáthach
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 01:12 AM
i loved ''diary of a drug fiend'' ive tried reading the book of lies,the book of the law and another one but its difficult to get far and still know what the hell hes on about.
his magickal diaries are very good,entertaining reading however.sorry this is off topic...

Azdaja
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 01:18 AM
I did not know you were into Thelema, Scathach!
Yes some of his books are difficult to understand, unless you know how to 'interpret' them.
If you have any questions on what you've read, PM me. I might be able to help you out.

Scáthach
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 01:27 AM
i dont know how into it i am,,he was certainly interesting and ive enjoyed what ive read (i really loved those diaries! and his small essay on giving up heroin!) but when it comes to the book of the law im rather confused...what the hell was the man on about ?
i like his idea of the true will and find in essence that it really is quite true but when it comes to ''nuit'' and all his ideas throughout that albeit small book...well :dot explains it more adequately!
have you read a lot of his stuff yourself?

Azdaja
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 01:29 AM
I've read nearly everything he's ever written, and own almost all his books.

Scáthach
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 01:31 AM
oh i see, i didnt think you sounded like a likely ''fan'' of his ;) but you have to read people to make objective decisions of course.i'd be interested in talking to you about him sometime if you ever wanted to? but for now im going to sleep! :)

Azdaja
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 01:33 AM
I'm not a fan of his lifestyle, and I feel that in many ways he was a disgusting individual.

That said, I've learned alot from him.

We can talk about him whenever you like.

Scáthach
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 02:08 PM
i actually got into a crowley sort of mood after talking about him yesterday so i went and read the book of the law , now admittedly it made far more sense this time (the last time i read it was over 2 years ago) but im still a little unsure as to what EXACTLY is the point. i understand it was supposedly dictated by Aiwass (im not sure where i stand on that) and that its really just dealing with the law of thelema and our true will and also it seems a lot about worshipping him, well not crowley but Horus - the child? perhaps also about expanding our mind and knowledge through drugs (''i am the snake that giveth...'') for him/our gain?
i agree that we are stars,and composed of our experiences and also that we all have a true will, more difficult is the carrying out of whatever ones' will is.
there are some little things that i dont quite understand either - the Khabs is in the Khu, not the Khu in the Khabs (what?!) ''Who worshipped Heru-pa-kraath have worshipped me ; for I am the worshipper......... etc.just some random things really.
of course i'm least impressed with this : ''The fool readeth this Book of the Law , and its comment; and he understandeth it not ''
;) :D

Azdaja
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Prospero
I have looked briefly at his work; he strikes me as a fat, oaf

Oh really? He was an avid mountain climber and big game hunter, and able to hold asana ('perfect posture') for hours without moving.
He was also a very educated man, with a good grasp on chemistry and higher mathematics.

You strike me as a person who does not know what the hell he is talking about, and simply wants to badmouth Crowley because I've told the truth about your jew-gypsy hero Howard Levey.

whom basically complicates his writings to cover the basic stupidity of it all!

If I were to look at some complex mathematical equation it would look like 'complicated' gibberish to me, because I do not have the ability/training to understand it.
Same thing here. Just because your brain is not capable of understanding the man's writings, does not mean the writings are 'stupid'.

Milesian
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Obviously this is a subject that is close to your heart, judging by the responses you have posted. I undertsand that I have been close-minded by judging this man based merely on what few quotes of his I have heard and what I have read about him, but in saying that I probably have a fairly accurate picture of the him as well.
I have my own beliefs and his philosphy, beliefs and practises are all offensive to me.

If you want to immerse yourself in them then I'm sure your big enough to make your own decisions and far be it from me to get all judgemental. I merely stated I had no time for him and at least through his connection with Freemasonry (if not the occult itself - what difference?!) then there is a connection with Jewish mysticism (Kabbala) from which Masonry derives much of it's content.

However, at no time did I attack you on a personal level or resort to petty name calling. I feel your response was unwarranted.
In future I will keep my opinions to myself.

Azdaja
Sunday, June 29th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Scathach
i actually got into a crowley sort of mood after talking about him yesterday so i went and read the book of the law , now admittedly it made far more sense this time (the last time i read it was over 2 years ago) but im still a little unsure as to what EXACTLY is the point. i understand it was supposedly dictated by Aiwass (im not sure where i stand on that)

"Aiwass" is Crowley's own "Higher Self". Super Ego, more or less.

and that its really just dealing with the law of thelema and our true will and also it seems a lot about worshipping him, well not crowley but Horus - the child?

Crowley divides the history of mankind into 3 "Aeons": Isis, Osiris, Horus. Isis was the first Aeon, and it was an Aeon of matriarchy and earth worship. Osiris was the second Aeon, and it was patriarchal/sun worship. Christianity is an "Osirian" religion. The third Aeon - which we are either in or about to enter, is that of Horus, the child of Isis and Osiris.
Isis = Earth/Id
Osiris = Sun or Sky/"Spiritual" body. "Spiritual" in this sense refers more to the Ego, which is a reflection of the Super Ego.
Note that the Qabalistic word for Ego is "Ruach", and this word also means "air". That is, the Ego is identified with air and the Id is identified with earth.
Earth and Air are opposites. When opposites unite they may produce a 3rd thing...a 'child'. In this case, Horus. The Aeon of Horus is that Aeon in which "Isis" and "Osiris" will unite in each of us and yeild forth Horus.
Super Ego incarnated in Ego. Or as Crowley would say, "The Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel".

So really the Book of the Law is not about worshipping some external Diety. It is about finding and worshiping your OWN God. Your Higher Self, which is 'worshipped' via the execution of True Will (ie: The 'orbit' to which your 'star' - Higher Self - should adhere).

Sorry for the brevity, but I don't want to write a whole big essay, lol

perhaps also about expanding our mind and knowledge through drugs

Yes, it does mention using 'strange' drugs. Just remember that a drug is no longer strange after you've tried it.

i agree that we are stars,and composed of our experiences and also that we all have a true will, more difficult is the carrying out of whatever ones' will is.

You've got a very good grasp of the system.

there are some little things that i dont quite understand either - the Khabs is in the Khu, not the Khu in the Khabs (what?!) ''Who worshipped Heru-pa-kraath have worshipped me ; for I am the worshipper......... etc.just some random things really.

Lol. Most of it is only confusing because of the terminology. "Khabs" and "Khu" are parts of the body of man as classified by the ancient Egyptians.
It basically means that "God" is within you. "God in man", as Crowley would often say.

of course i'm least impressed with this : ''The fool readeth this Book of the Law , and its comment; and he understandeth it not ''
;) :D

This is play on words. Kind of a riddle.

1) "The Fool" is the first Tarot Card. It's number is Zero.
2) Zero corresponds to the Qabalistic "first veil of the negative existance", Ain, which is Hebrew for "Not" (ie: Zero is 'no-thing').

Stríbog
Monday, June 30th, 2003, 12:18 AM
kind of reminds me of the Mad Arab's testimony in the Necronomicon....

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange æons even Death may die

Azdaja
Monday, June 30th, 2003, 12:35 AM
this is what it says :

''...The study of this book is forbidden. It is wise to destroy this copy after the first reading.
Whosoever disregards this does so at his own risk and peril. These are most dire.
Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence....''

kind of reminds me of the Mad Arab's testimony in the Necronomicon....:eek:
but dont shun meeeeeee :[]!! (i just wanted to use this thingy lol)

Yes, but remember that the actual "Necronomicon was only a plot device created by H.P. Lovecraft. It is not a real book.
The little black paperback book which claims to be the Necronomicon is a fake, and is just a mish mash of Sumerian mythology.

Scáthach
Monday, June 30th, 2003, 09:41 PM
i was joking about the necronomicon - although that mad arabs testimony is one of my favourite things for pure entertainment reasons!
thanks for your help Asdaja, it is a lot clearer now, however the idea of Aiwass is still a little confusing.....do you mean that Crowley saw him as actually part of himself and that he wasn't an actual otherworldly being, if you will?:confused:
i understand what he means about the 3 aeons and it makes some sense to me though you do wonder what will happen after Horus' 2000 years..
the idea of self worship through executing your own true will seems understandable i suppose.
and yes, it is the terminology that gets confusing! but god in man and not man in god makes far more sense!! :)
thanks again for your help, its obviously something you know a lot about! :)

cosmocreator
Monday, June 30th, 2003, 09:57 PM
immediatly i'd say to find out about crowley, dont read people's opinions of him - read HIM. nearly all of his works are widely available and you can be assured of getting your own pure opinion of him and how you feel about him rather than having ideas overshadowed by someone who disliked him, whether their reasons be warranted or not.

That is true of anyone. I often tell people that if they want to find out about Hitler or NS, read Mein Kampf or Rosenberg. You can't trust your enemy to tell the truth about you. It's like asking the Jews what Hitler was like.

Grimr
Monday, June 30th, 2003, 10:26 PM
I think I already have but I didn't realise it was his work, I have read the testimony of the mad Arab and I think after looking at the Temple of set I came in contact with some Thelemic Organizations which are quite interesting. Is it true that H.P Lovecraft was involved with Crowley?

Scáthach
Monday, June 30th, 2003, 10:29 PM
to the best of my knowledge the mad arab was nothing to do with crowley - sorry if i inadvertently put forth the idea he was in the lounge thread!

Stríbog
Monday, June 30th, 2003, 11:34 PM
H. P. Lovecraft's wife, Sonia Greene, a New York Jewess, was reputed to have been Crowley's lover at one point. Believers in the Necronomicon claim that Crowley introduced her to Abdul Al Hazred's book, which she in turn introduced to Lovecraft. However, it is fairly well known that the book was concocted by Lovecraft to make his stories seem more realistic. Abdul Al Hazred is not even grammatically correct in Arabic. Both published versions are admitted hoaxes. Whether or not Greene was in fact Crowley's lover, I do not know.

Azdaja
Tuesday, July 1st, 2003, 12:01 AM
the idea of Aiwass is still a little confusing.....do you mean that Crowley saw him as actually part of himself and that he wasn't an actual otherworldly being, if you will?:confused:

Yes. In fact Crowley identifies Aiwass as his (Crowley's) Holy Guardian Angel.

i understand what he means about the 3 aeons and it makes some sense to me though you do wonder what will happen after Horus' 2000 years..

Aeon of Ma'at (double-wanded one).

thanks again for your help, its obviously something you know a lot about! :)

It's obviously something you know a lot about as well. You are getting tripped up on some of the terminology, but are still able to understand the basic meaning of what Crowley was saying.
Your mind seems naturally attuned to Crowley's sometimes difficult-to-follow writing style.
I don't know if you see that as a good thing or a bad thing, lol. But take it as a compliment.

Azdaja
Tuesday, July 1st, 2003, 04:11 AM
@Thorburn & Prospero:

Here is an essay I wrote about a year ago that sets forth some of what I get out of Crowley's writings.

(Note: The following essay is a very brief explanation of a very complicated subject. I base everything said herein on personal study and experience.)

Thelema can be defined as a religo-magical system of initiation which differs from other such systems in it's acceptance of 'Liber Al vel Legis' and all that this entails.

Now then comes the task of defining the definition. Let us begin with "initiation". When most people think of initiation they think of elaborate ceremonies conducted to allow candidates into secret societies, or asinine hazing rites designed to test the manhood of a college fraternity pledge.
But in this essay, initiation has quiet a different meaning. It can be defined as a gradual, life-long process of self-awakening interspersed with sudden, often traumatic psychological and spiritual upheaval.
By "self-awakening" I mean awareness. Awareness of who of you are: mind, body, and soul. The more aware the initiate becomes, the easier it is for him or her to perceive falsehood....both falsehood in him/herself and falsehood in the outside world. As falsehood falls away and truth shines through, the initiate shall come to see past his "personality" - that loose aggregate of reactionary traits - and sense somewhere inside him/herself, a Light. This Light - which we may as well call 'God', or better yet, the God within man - shall, once recognized, shine upon the initiate. This interaction between God and Man causes a strong sense of Love to develop in the initiate. And it is this Love which propels the initiate onward, causing him to move upon the earth like a star, fixed upon it's orbit, moves through the sky.

Now that we've got a basic idea of what is meant by initiation, we can go on and define "religio-magical". There are two words being stressed here: religion and magical. Looking at the first word first, "religion" can be defined as The formulation of the secrets of initiation into a practical system utilizing symbolism and dogma. Basically, religion gives us various practices and rituals which can be used to "gradually open the senses", and gives symbols to seemingly abstract subjects (the 'secrets of initiation'), thus making these subjects easier to understand. These various practices and rituals are often referred to as "magical" in nature.
And so it is to the word "magick" that we can now turn our attention to. The most famous definition of "magick" comes from Aleister Crowley, first prophet of the New Aeon (see below). Crowley wrote that magick is: "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will."
Let us first realize that there are two types of "will". Firstly is the so-called "free will". Our ability to chose "a" over "non-a". Secondly - and more importantly so far as this essay is concerned - is the "True Will".
My own definition of True Will is: "The way in which a person should live their life in order to get the most out of life." The True Will is the "orbit" of the initiate which I spoke about earlier. To put it another way, we can say that the True Will is the way in which the initiate expresses the Love he feels as a result of his interaction with the Light.
According to Crowleys definition of magick, any willed act (whether free will, True Will, or both) which causes the change thus willed is a magical act. And the more aware a person is of his/her actions, the more likely it is that the willed act will cause the necessary change.
All the magical rituals, ceremonies, practices, and so on exist in order to make the practitioner more aware. And is this not also the goal of initiation?
The answer is "yes". Religio-magical systems offer the student various methods by which he may obtain the Knowledge necessary to seek and find initiation.

Thelema, as said much earlier, is one such system. And generally speaking, it's a true enough statement. However, although Thelema can stand on it's own as a system of initiation, it also gives us a way to modernize older systems of attainment.
Why would we want to do this?
In earlier times it was held by many that the sun revolved around the earth. Eventually this "fact" was proven to be a falsehood. Similarly, it was "common knowledge" that the earth was flat. Today, this is no longer the case.
The above two examples show ways in which humanities understanding of the physical earth has changed over time. So too has our understanding of ourselves.
The symbolism, dogma, and to an extent even the magical practices of mankind's religio-magical systems have always been influenced by its understanding of the world and itself. During the Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, and Chalcolithic ages of Old Europe, and even into early recorded history, people believed that woman - without help from man - was responsible for life. Amongst these early people the concepts of birth, life, fertility, regeneration, and the very principal of creativity itself were worshipped as a "Great Goddess". Only the chief priests and other initiates of these ages knew the "secret" of generation (ie: that man impregnates woman).
Of course as time passed it eventually became common knowledge that man also had something to do with the generative process. And with this increase in understanding it became necessary to alter the old religio-magical systems to conform with the new shift in consciousness. Man now became the focal point of worship. Just as woman was identified with the earth (which she was from relatively early times, in some areas of the world as early as 4000 BC), so was man identified with the sun. To observers the sun seemed to be "born" each morning, move across the sky over the course of the day, and "die" each evening....only to be "resurrected" the morning following.
The great majority of religio-magical systems were built on this precept. A precept we now know to be false. And so it becomes necessary once again to alter the older systems to conform to the newer shift in consciousness. Such shifts in consciousness, which seem to occur at intervals of 2,000 - 4,000 years (though it may take much longer for them to be truly apprehended on all levels of being by all people), are referred to as "Aeons".
Thelemites believe that humanity entered the newest Aeon in 1904 when Aleister Crowley, an English magician and mystic, received the divinely channeled document entitled "Liber Al vel Legis" or "The Book of the Law". Liber Al speaks, often in very symbolic language, about the New Aeon (called "The Aeon of Horus") and the sorts of changes which must be implemented in order for the initiatic process to run smoothly.
So what is this "Law" of Thelema? It is in fact summed up perfectly by two phrases well-known to all Thelemites.
The first phrase is: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." When we realize that "wilt" refers to "True Will" we find that this phrase is fairly self-explanatory.
The second phrase is: "Love is the law, love under will." Love, of the sort we have discussed earlier, is the inspiration of our Will. It is what causes us to do our Will. To me "love under will." means to go forth and live, expressing with every fiber of your being the Love you feel for the divine.
The reader should note that although Liber Al was not received until 1904, Thelemic practices are much, much older than this date would suggest. Much of Crowleys instructional texts (many of which can be found at any major bookstore) deal with the ancient science of yoga. Others deal with more action oriented practices such as ceremonial magick, whose modern roots date no earlier than the mid-1800s, and whose distant roots stretch back into prehistory. Study and application of the tarot, astrology, Qabalah and various other spiritual and psycho-spiritual disciplines are highly encouraged as well.
And finally, it must be said that whenever a pearl is cast upon the ground there will swine waiting to trample upon it. There are individuals who, without the slightest degree of Initiation, have set themselves up as "authorities" on Thelema and related systems of practice. If one looks hard enough one will find them, proclaiming themselves as "Magi" and advertising their "Temples" and "Orders". All a person needs to do in order to avoid peril is remember that ultimately spirituality is a matter between oneself and ones God.
As it should be.

~Kalos
(X Azdaja X@aol.com)

Azdaja
Tuesday, July 1st, 2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Milesian
Who would you consider Crowley's enemies to be?
Were they enemies for personal reasons or was their some political, religious,moral reasons behind their emnimity?

Well of course he had "personal" enemies, like most people. But in a more abstract sense it could be said that he was an 'enemy' of institutions which he perceived to be a hinderance to the growth of humanity.

Crowley also had some interesting allies. Among them was a man named J.F.C. Fuller, a retired Major General of the British Army, and friend of Adolf Hitler. Fuller was the only non-German guest at Hitler's 50th birthday party.

Interestingly enough, in his book "Magick Without Tears" Crowley quotes a passage from Mein Kampf, refering to the passage as "words of astonishing insight and wisdom, not alien to the Law of Thelema..."

Azdaja
Tuesday, July 1st, 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Anarch
Thanks for that Azdaja, I'm going to try find a copy of The Book of the Law - it sounds quite interesting and it looks as though there's a lot I could learn from it.

And thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that my essay sparked an interest in someone of your mental caliber.
Don't be discouraged if you cannot understand the Book of the Law. It's written in a highly symbolic language. Because of this some people just write it off as the result of a drug-induced stupor. If you learn the symbolic "language", though, it will make more sense.
A really great book to start off with is "Magick Without Tears". It is written in a clear, lucid style devoid of obscure symbolism. Crowley wrote this book (actually a collection of letters to one of his pupils) in his old age, roughly between 1945 and 1947 (my guess). His well-trained and highly intelligent mind are plain to see in "Magick Without Tears", and just reading it helps to dispel the myth that Crowley died a drug-addled mental case.

hardcorps
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Azdaja
But in this essay, initiation has quiet a different meaning. It can be defined as a gradual, life-long process of self-awakening interspersed with sudden, often traumatic psychological and spiritual upheaval. By "self-awakening" I mean awareness. Awareness of who of you are: mind, body, and soul. The more aware the initiate becomes, the easier it is for him or her to perceive falsehood....both falsehood in him/herself and falsehood in the outside world. As falsehood falls away and truth shines through, the initiate shall come to see past his "personality" - that loose aggregate of reactionary traits - and sense somewhere inside him/herself, a Light. This Light - which we may as well call 'God', or better yet, the God within man - shall, once recognized, shine upon the initiate. This interaction between God and Man causes a strong sense of Love to develop in the initiate. And it is this Love which propels the initiate onward, causing him to move upon the earth like a star, fixed upon it's orbit, moves through the sky.

I like this passage, it reminds me of Karma Yoga - the path of yoking oneself with ultimate reality through 'works.' I suppose if one experiences this 'process of self-awakening interspersed with sudden, often traumatic psychological and spiritual upheaval' at one sitting that might be akin to enlightenment in Buddhism. Is this what the Buddha experienced as he sat 'neath the bodhi tree?

Perhaps now there is just too much to know, too much profane (largely scientific) information to make jibe with fundamental truth for a higher soul to experience complete awakening in a single sitting?? Perhaps the only way is the slow process of painful interaction with this complex, opinion-abundant world??? I think your expressing the kernel of what you get out of his philosophy here may have saved me the need to wade through Crowley's writing! Maybe I will, at some point, become interested in getting involved in the ritual attendant to a particular tradition. In any case, I think you've well dispelled some uninformed prejudice!

Jack
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Azdaja
And thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that my essay sparked an interest in someone of your mental caliber.
Don't be discouraged if you cannot understand the Book of the Law. It's written in a highly symbolic language. Because of this some people just write it off as the result of a drug-induced stupor. If you learn the symbolic "language", though, it will make more sense.
A really great book to start off with is "Magick Without Tears". It is written in a clear, lucid style devoid of obscure symbolism. Crowley wrote this book (actually a collection of letters to one of his pupils) in his old age, roughly between 1945 and 1947 (my guess). His well-trained and highly intelligent mind are plain to see in "Magick Without Tears", and just reading it helps to dispel the myth that Crowley died a drug-addled mental case.

I'd heard he used drugs, though I usually don't let that effect my perceptions of people's work - unless it's actually obvious through the work :) But thanks, I'll try "Magick without Tears", then I want to get straight onto "Book of the Law". I've also got to find a copy of Ernst Jünger's Eumeswil, which looks pretty hard to get :goodmorni

Azdaja
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2003, 09:20 PM
thank you, i'll check it out :)
now, about the symbolic language, recently i was asked by a friend who saw the book of the law lying around what his main point was , now i said that it was to do with one's true will and she simply said why not just write that then, instead of all the madness ?

Well remember that Crowley was only writing down what "Aiwass" was saying.
"Aiwass" was Crowley's Higher Self or "Genius". This "Genius" sometimes can communicate with the ordinary man during meditation, or dream, or even drug use. When it does so the 'language' it uses tends to be of a highly symbolic nature, almost poetic.
Understand that your Higher Self is like a Prince. This "Prince" wants to unite Himself to you - the "Princess". He is in Love. And just like any good man in Love, He tries to entice and charm His object of affection in the most beautiful way He can.
Apply this concept to the language used in the Book of the Law.
There are other reasons as well, but I think the above is the main one.

my point is i will be persevere with the language, i know mainly what he's getting at so that will help! :)

Very good : )
I recommend "A Garden of Pomegranates" by Israel Regardie to get you started on familiarizing yourself with the 'language' often used in Crowley's writings.

Scáthach
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2003, 09:28 PM
thank you AGAIN Asdaja, lol i'm nearly indebted to you at this stage!
''The study of these passages neccessarily demands supreme human scholarship to interpret- it needs years of intense application'' - thats something to remember i suppose, something you have succeeded at already it seems :)

have you heard much about or read anything of Amado Crowley btw?

Azdaja
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by hardcorps
I like this passage, it reminds me of Karma Yoga - the path of yoking oneself with ultimate reality through 'works.'

Yes, that is a very good point.
Do you know that the first letter of the Hebrew Alphabet, Aleph, means an Ox? And that the 12th letter, Lamed, means an Ox Goad (YOKE)?
When you connect the Ox to the Goad (ie: A + L or L + A) you get the words "AL" = GOD, and "LA" = NOT.
As you know, Yoga is the act of uniting subject and object (x + -x). When these 2 are united, the result is "Samadhi"..annhiliation.
Aleph = subject
Lamed = object
The result is GOD (AL) and NOT (LA)...the annhiliation of the Self in the "ultimate reality".

Note that the 'official' title of "The Book of the Law" is "Liber AL vel Legis".

I suppose if one experiences this 'process of self-awakening interspersed with sudden, often traumatic psychological and spiritual upheaval' at one sitting that might be akin to enlightenment in Buddhism. Is this what the Buddha experienced as he sat 'neath the bodhi tree?

You seem to know more than I do about Buddhism. I know very little.
I do understand the concept behind the first 2 precepts:
1) All life is sorrow.
2) The cause of sorrow is desire.
I agree, though Crowley did not really seem to. It was his belief that Buddhism was of the so-called "black path", which is also where he placed Christianity. Black in this sense has nothing to do with 'black magick'. Rather, it means that those who adhere to these paths view existance as suffering.
Crowley, to the contrary, taught that "all existance is pure joy". His system was meant to help others realize this.

Perhaps now there is just too much to know, too much profane (largely scientific) information to make jibe with fundamental truth for a higher soul to experience complete awakening in a single sitting??

I think if one has been properly trained, this might be possible. But that "single sitting" would be the result of decades of hard work.

Perhaps the only way is the slow process of painful interaction with this complex, opinion-abundant world??? I think your expressing the kernel of what you get out of his philosophy here may have saved me the need to wade through Crowley's writing! Maybe I will, at some point, become interested in getting involved in the ritual attendant to a particular tradition. In any case, I think you've well dispelled some uninformed prejudice!

I very much hope so! Thanks : )

Azdaja
Wednesday, July 2nd, 2003, 09:43 PM
Well there is still much that puzzles me
have you heard much about or read anything of Amado Crowley btw?

That's Crowley's son, right?
If so, I've read a little about him.
He was given a 'place of honour' in the degenerate and cult-like 'caliphate' OTO. This is the group that falsely claims to be the true OTO and has a little business agreement with Samuel Weisser Publishing, the result being that the COTO is advertised in every Crowley book Weiser publishes.
Amado was/is apparently a big loser. He was hooked on all kinds of drugs, and got arrested for stealing a car or something, lol.
I don't know what happened to him. I think he died from a drug overdose, but I could be wrong.

Utgard-Loki
Thursday, July 3rd, 2003, 03:24 PM
Mussolini trowed Crowley out of Italy because of
his Rituals involving Homosexuality , Analsex,
the consuming of Excrements and heavy drug use.
Consulting the Psycho analysis by Freud ( J** )
had had perhaps a backslash to the Analphasis,
a hard youth with strong punising for playing
with excrements might be the Reason.

alltough he was an intelligent and fascinating
( like a Shocker-Rocker of the early 20th century)
man his * magick * is based upon Golden Dawn
and OTO Systems and those Systems are either
of Christian ( Satanism ) Jewish ( Quaballa ... )
or Arab ( Hermetic ) Background .

Crowley is perhaps a perfect example of how
Man with pride shouldn´t act . He called his
own daughter a Bitch, had several Sexual
relations with all kind of human and other
Beings and was a Drug-junkie .

Yeah i know he had Asthma and Heroine was
the Drug to *cure * this disease , but his later
Drug Uses were his own " Will " .

Drugs turn Desire for Life, into the Desire to get
the Drug. The people you love, the gifts you poses,
the Live you could live, not one of these Things is
important anymore .The Junkie will sacrivice every
relationship or all the Honor he had to get the Drug.
The Drug rules his Live . It has the might of a dark
God . It gives him absolute Passion and is rewarded
by abolute devot behavior.

Text by John O`Donohue

There is no " My will shall be done ! " instead there
is a " I do what ever it takes to please my Passion. "

Even some Sethians don´t like him, he´s certainly
a great Thinker, and you can achieve Results with
his magick . But you can also,as it was pointed
out by VS in the old " La vie Flambeut " Site,
use Lovecraft and his writtings for good Results
and they are complete Fantasy :).

Hail ! your Utgard-Loki

------------------------------------

Gesell dich einem besseren zu
lass mit ihm deine Kräfte ringen.
Den wer nicht besser ist als du,
der kann dich auch nicht weiter
bringen.

Goethe

Azdaja
Thursday, July 3rd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Utgard-Loki
Mussolini trowed Crowley out of Italy because of
his Rituals involving Homosexuality , Analsex,
the consuming of Excrements and heavy drug use.

Why is it that people are unable to attack Crowley's system, and must instead constantly revert to character assassination? Could it be that these people know nothing about Thelemic doctrines and derive their opinions of it based on twisted accounts of Crowley the man?
Crowley was not expelled from Italy for "consuming excrements". lol. If he were alive today you'd be sued for slander. He was asked to leave Italy because of the negative publicity his 'Abbey of Thelema' had received. He was never charged with any crimes.
The impression that Fascism left on Crowley was a favourable one. He writes:
"Rome was wild with enthusiasm. The Fascisti swarmed all over the city. I thought their behavior admirable. They policed the towns and suppressed any attempted breach of the peach with the utmost efficiency."
His opinion of Mussolini became somewhat more negative after the expulsion. But most people would react in a similar way under the circumstances.

alltough he was an intelligent and fascinating
( like a Shocker-Rocker of the early 20th century)
man his * magick * is based upon Golden Dawn
and OTO Systems and those Systems are either
of Christian ( Satanism ) Jewish ( Quaballa ... )
or Arab ( Hermetic ) Background .

First: where are you getting the 'satanism' from? The O.T.O.? Despite the use of "Baphomet" the O.T.O. is rooted in near eastern mysticism and has nothing to do with 'satanism'. Are the chakras "satanic"?
Second: what is your problem with the Qabalah and the system of the G.D.? Do you have ideological issues, or is your aversion rooted soley in that fact that the Qabalah is ::gasp:: 'jewish'?

Crowley is perhaps a perfect example of how
Man with pride shouldn´t act . He called his
own daughter a Bitch, had several Sexual
relations with all kind of human and other
Beings

He had several sexual relations?! Good God no! lol

and was a Drug-junkie .

Yeah i know he had Asthma and Heroine was
the Drug to *cure * this disease , but his later
Drug Uses were his own " Will " .

I went over this in the PM already. At least this time around you admit the cause of his Heroine addiction.
Yes, he did other drugs. So have many other artistic/brilliant people. Who cares? Why is this issue continually brought up, and issues concerning the man's writings NEVER brought up?
I think it's because 90% of Crowley's detractors have never read more than a handful of pages of his writings. And, frustrated that they were not able to comprehend the meaning of the writings, decided that the whole of Crowley's literature was nothing but the work of a 'burn out junkie'.
Sour grapes.

Drugs turn Desire for Life, into the Desire to get
the Drug. The people you love, the gifts you poses,
the Live you could live, not one of these Things is
important anymore .The Junkie will sacrivice every
relationship or all the Honor he had to get the Drug.
The Drug rules his Live . It has the might of a dark
God . It gives him absolute Passion and is rewarded
by abolute devot behavior.

Well apparently Crowley was an exception to this, as his amazing life and huge corpus of mystical/magical literature show.
What books by Crowley have you read?

Even some Sethians don´t like him,

Who cares what "sethians" think? Their whole 'order' is run by a guy working in military intelligence. You'd have to be a total idiot to join a group like that, and I don't care for the opinions of idiots.
"Sethians" and other satanists can hate Thelema all they like. I'd rather they do that than constantly try to make it seem as if Crowley was 'one of them'.

he´s certainly
a great Thinker, and you can achieve Results with
his magick . But you can also,as it was pointed
out by VS in the old " La vie Flambeut " Site,
use Lovecraft and his writtings for good Results
and they are complete Fantasy :).

Ok, so then I guess everything that achieves results is 'fantasy'? Or is this guy just a hypocrite?

Grimr
Thursday, July 3rd, 2003, 09:26 PM
Azdaja why do you stand up for a man that is both dead and clearly has many, many flaws? He wasn't a white nationalist, ok he is better than my little Jewish buddy Levy but he is really just a Satanist in another format!

If you really think that Crowley is worth defending then I will read more into him and back you up but it seems like a big waste of your time.

Azdaja
Thursday, July 3rd, 2003, 09:38 PM
Azdaja why do you stand up for a man that is both dead and clearly has many, many flaws?

Because he also had many, many merits.

He wasn't a white nationalist,

Well that's one point in his favour. It's nice to see that you are able to compliment Crowley every so often.

ok he is better than my little Jewish buddy Levy but he is really just a Satanist in another format!?

I really hope you have some kind of information to back up this assertion of yours.

If you really think that Crowley is worth defending then I will read more into him and back you up but it seems like a big waste of your time.

I agree with you. This is becoming a huge waste of my time.
I've been posting here since December, and have never brought up my spiritual views because:
1) I see spirituality as a private matter.
2) I don't really enjoy defending my beliefs.
3) Thelema has nothing to do with the 'theme' of this board, at least not directly.
Honestly, curiosity just got the better of me and I was interested in what people here would classify Crowley's subrace as.
I should have ignored the "knee jerk" (to use one of your favorite terms) anti-Crowley reaction my post inspired. Stupidly, I did not.
I have not talked about my views on this subject with any but very close friends in over 1 year, and this was hardly the place to break my 'silence'.

This is the last post from me on this subject. If anyone has comments/questions/arguments for me, please PM me with them.

Scáthach
Thursday, July 3rd, 2003, 09:39 PM
prospero, perhaps it was just my perception but you certainly seemed to be defending the actions of Nico Claux (forgive me and correct me if im wrong) and i should also add unless some people have overlooked this, Asdaja quite bluntly said he found Crowley to be quite a disgusting character - i dont recall seeing him defend Crowley the man at all, rather he has espoused the value in Crowley's work. big difference.

Utgard-Loki
Thursday, July 3rd, 2003, 11:09 PM
While i was writing an answer to Azdaja , the Site
or the Browsers crashed , so here´s my Reply a little
late but here it is :
----------------------
Why is it that people are unable to attack Crowley's system, and must instead constantly revert to character assassination? Could it be that these people know nothing about Thelemic doctrines and derive their opinions of it based on twisted accounts of Crowley the man?

That´s because atacking his religios\magical System is
not very usefull here. You can like it or not , as with every
Religion it´s a rather personal descision . You cannot prove
a religious System to be wrong, you can only prove that its
Nonsense or bad for your Health or Mind. I know not much
about Thelema but what i know is enough, i don´t say its
wrong but i say for myself i dislike it because it does not fit
in my Picture of White Pride .
As Oscar Wilde ( another Pervert ) said :
" Govermets and Systems don´t
mather only the Person they represent do ."
--------------------------------

Crowley was not expelled from Italy for "consuming excrements". lol. If he were alive today you'd be sued for slander.

Re : Iv´e read that once his Commune of Drug Users run out of
Money , they served Goath S*** instead of delicious Food at
their Blackpartys . Anyway might it be true or not , i like the
Imagination of him doing it ( maybe i`am pervert , too:) ).
---------------------------------
First: where are you getting the 'satanism' from? The O.T.O.? Despite the use of "Baphomet" the O.T.O. is rooted in near eastern mysticism and has nothing to do with 'satanism'. Are the chakras "satanic"?

Re : Baphomet symbolized the " if there´s a good God , then
he must have a bad Brother " Idea , although the Idea of
a Satan is from old Persia the in modern Days its a Chistian
Thing , Satanic Chakras lol .If the O.T.O is not Left Path ,
who then ???And yeep, there are jewish and arab
Elements in the O.T.O Ideology .
----------------------
Second: what is your problem with the Qabalah and the system of the G.D.? Do you have ideological issues, or is your aversion rooted soley in that fact that the Qabalah is ::gasp:: 'jewish'?

Oy veh ! You got me !:D
---------------------

He had several sexual relations?! Good God no! lol

But it´s true , God can´t help you with this. He did it , AGAIN AND
AGAIN in EVERY POSITION and EVERY WAY you might think off .
HE did it with HOMOS , with ELEPants , in Pyramids , with
Falcons and also with his beloved Pony ELSA !!!!!!!!
Yes that´s true i can prove it ...

----------------------

Yes, he did other drugs. So have many other artistic/brilliant people. Who cares? Why is this issue continually brought up, and issues concerning the man's writings NEVER brought up?
I think it's because 90% of Crowley's detractors have never read more than a handful of pages of his writings. And, frustrated that they were not able to comprehend the meaning of the writings, decided that the whole of Crowley's literature was nothing but the work of a 'burn out junkie'.
Sour grapes.

I must admit i have never read one of his Books,
nor do i see why i should do so ?
( Well well , for Heavenshake i will try ... )
-------------------------------------

Ok, so then I guess everything that achieves results is 'fantasy'? Or is this guy just a hypocrite?

You´re wrong in the End the Results are all made by you ,
and you should be real . A stone you throw at someone
will also do some results . That´s magick the art to make
changes take place , right ?

Hail ! your ( not so serious )Utgard-Loki

------------------------------------------------

bringen.

Goethe

Utgard-Loki
Tuesday, July 8th, 2003, 01:50 PM
@ Anarch

At least he was a creative and charismatic Man, there are
certainly many Things one can learn from him.
And his Ideas of the Magician as a grey, not withe or black
but just human and selfcontrolled Person, as well as some other
Things that he wrote are intelligent and word to read
( alltough i don´t think they are all new, look at Hermes
Trismegistos and the Tabula Smaragdina ) .

So do as you like ... .

best regards, your Utgard-Loki

-------------------------------------------------------------

bringen.

Goethe

Moody
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Crowley was apparently convinced that his Book of the Law could serve as a religious underpinning of a political out-look.

He wrote;

"The Law of Thelema is an altogether new instrument of Government, infinitely elastic, in the proper hands, from the very fact of its scientific rigidity".
[Crowley, 'Propositions for consideration of HM Government', 1936 O.T.O. Archives]

He wrote to a contact who was on his way to visit Hitler's government;

"One of my colleagues informed me a couple of months ago that the Fuehrer was looking for a philosophical basis for Nazi principles ...
Some of my adherents in Germany are apparently trying to approach the Fuehrer with a view to putting the 'Book of the Law' in its proper position of the Bible of the New Aeon ...
Hitler himself says in 'Mein Kampf' that the world needs a new religion, that he himself is not a religious teacher, but that when the proper man appears he will be welcome ..."
[Crowley, letter to Viereck July 31, 1936 O.T.O. Archives]

www.sacred-texts.com/oto/engccxx.htm - 22 Mar 2004 -

Grimr
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Wouldn't it be cool to have Aleister Crowley as your grand farther? :)

http://www.phespirit.info/pictures/heroes/images/p012.jpg
http://www.controverscial.com/Crowley_1.jpg
http://www.sci.fi/~phinnweb/neuro/crowley/pic/crowley.jpg
http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/religion/aleister-crowley/fat-crowley.jpg

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Wouldn't it be cool to have Aleister Crowley as your grand farther? :)Well I would admit having Aleister Crowley aka "the beast" as a grandfather would be an interesting yet unusual experience, one would hope that you would not inherit the same extremely large opium addiction as he did.

Johannes de León
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Mr. Crowley, what went on in your head
Mr. Crowley, did you talk with the dead
Your lifestyle to me seemed so tragic
With the thrill of it all
You fooled all the people with magik
You waited on Satan's call

(Black Sabbath - Mr. Crowley)

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Mr. Crowley, what went on in your head
Mr. Crowley, did you talk with the dead
Your lifestyle to me seemed so tragic
With the thrill of it all
You fooled all the people with magik
You waited on Satan's call

(Black Sabbath - Mr. Crowley)Ah yes i know the song:D

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Another interesting thought would be to also have Dion Fortune as your grandmother too, the offspring of the golden dawn.:D

Grimr
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Well I would admit having Aleister Crowley aka "the beast" as a grandfather would be an interesting yet unusual experience.

You would get to see all the private golden dawn ceremonies at a very young age and you probably wouldn't have any discipline because of the commandment "Do what thou will shall be the whole law".

, one would hop that you would not inherit the same extremely large opium addiction as he did.

You can't get pure opium any more unless you went to Afghanistan.

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM
You would get to see all the private golden dawn ceremonies at a very young age and you probably wouldn't have any discipline because of the commandment "Do what thou will shall be the whole law".Yes one may bear witness to such things.

You can't get pure opium any more unless you went to Afghanistan.I am not concerned with the quality of opium itself but more in my remark it was about developing an addiction of Crowley's extent which in the end became harmful for him.

Grimr
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Yes one may bear witness to such things.

Watching all that pseudo-Egyptian nonsense and the sex magik would be good for a young child, better than rap music...

I am not concerned with the quality of opium itself

If you were smoking it you would be.

but more in my remark it was about developing an addiction of Crowley's extent which in the end became harmful for him.

Its good that Crowley died at the age he did, if he became really old he would loose the whole Beast personality he developed.

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Watching all that pseudo-Egyptian nonsense and the sex magik would be good for a young child, better than rap music...Well yes in terms of gaining an adept understanding of the kabbalistic system you would be indeed at the right place.

If you were smoking you would be.Yes true.

Its good that Crowley died at the age he did, if he became really old he would loose the whole Beast personality he developed.Yes in some ways it does the man's legacy some justice to a certain extent.

Grimr
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Well yes in terms of gaining an adept understanding of the kabbalistic system you would be indeed at the right place.

I don't think any body really understands that, when Crowley first joined the Golden Dawn he apparently had to reinvent his whole character and follow "Left hand paths" to supposedly the gain the knowledge.

Prussian
Thursday, August 19th, 2004, 05:51 PM
I don't think any body really understands that, when Crowley first joined the Golden Dawn he apparently had to reinvent his whole character and follow "Left hand paths" to supposedly the gain the knowledge.The Kabbala is the system associated with the Golden Dawn, this is the terminology used to describe the system based on traditional hebrew majick.

Yes he had to make adaptions with his time within the Golden Dawn but he never really never fit in with the Golden Dawn crowd at all, Crowley by nature I believe was more of an individualist.

Stríbog
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Azdaja misses out on all the cool threads that would interest him. He would have a field day with this one.

Taras Bulba
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 06:13 AM

No I dont think it would be cool.

Grimr
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM
No I dont think it would be cool.

You would rather have a priest? :D

Taras Bulba
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 05:14 PM
You would rather have a priest? :D
Actually I would.

Übersoldat
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Briefly no. Schizophrenia and ugliness are inheritable, much like the bad reputation.
I would rather be a bastard son of the wickedest Borgia! :D ;)

This picture needs no photoshoping. :psycho
http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/religion/aleister-crowley/fat-crowley.jpg :giggle

Prussian
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Actually I would.Yes I would go with Pushkin on this, Crowley would be not the grandfather I would aspire to have though no doubt it would be interesting & unusual yet informative in the area of his expertise being esoteric knowledge applied in the occult arts. But it would definitely not be "cool" though definitely different.

Prince Eugen
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 07:19 PM
No ,no way!

Vestmannr
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Actually I would.

I'm guessing he meant 'Roman Catholic priest', I'm guessing Grimr doesn't know that Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Catholic, and Anglo-Catholic priests do marry and have children (often, many children.) Having a priest for a father pretty much makes one a member of the gentry or ascendancy.

Taras Bulba
Friday, August 20th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I'm guessing he meant 'Roman Catholic priest', I'm guessing Grimr doesn't know that Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Catholic, and Anglo-Catholic priests do marry and have children (often, many children.) Having a priest for a father pretty much makes one a member of the gentry or ascendancy.

Byzantine Catholic priests are allowed to marry. Only Bishops or highers are required to remain celibate, just like in the Orthodox churches.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 02:48 AM
You would get to see all the private golden dawn ceremonies at a very young age and you probably wouldn't have any discipline because of the commandment "Do what thou will shall be the whole law".

Not true. "Do what thou wilt" only applies once you find your will. It does not mean "do whatever the hell you want". And you are forgetting the other part: "Love is the law, love under will".

Grimr
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Not true. "Do what thou wilt" only applies once you find your will. It does not mean "do whatever the hell you want". And you are forgetting the other part: "Love is the law, love under will".

What ever you love doing you can do it...

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM
What ever you love doing you can do it...

You sure can. But do you find your will through love, or do you love according to your will? ;)

Imperator X
Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 07:10 AM
I admire Aleister Crowley very much. I do not believe his use of drugs should be held against him because drugs when used in moderation, can make one aware of mind expansion and perception beyond the conscious mind. As for the different Aeons, I have a bit to say about them, it doesn't sum it all up entirely though. In Jungian influenced psychology, it is thought that at first, in "Isian" aeons, man's mind was primitive, ruled by the unconscious or the domain of the Mother. In these societies it was common that men competed with one another more than they bonded.

When more "Osirian" societies came about, men started to have men's mysteries with fire rituals and things exclusive to manhood. Men united to transcend the seductive power of the Mother and unite with their higher "Solar" self. This theme can be seen when Christ transcends "Hell" (The womb) and unites with his heavenly father. Also note the burning of the cross in the Klan, or Hitler's fire ritual processions. (associations with fire.)

Also in Jungian influenced psychology there are the concepts of "Slaying of the mother" and "Slaying of the father". The idea of "Slaying of the mother" is that a man, in order to be free must break the bonds of the mother's influence. Think of the witch in the ginger bread house who uses the candy to lure the unsuspecting boy, or who uses the candy to have him live in a state of abundance, but still dependence. The feminine is symbolized by the dragon and dragon slaying myths reenact the tale of the Man overcoming "The Dragon".

The "Slaying of the Father" concept is this, a man utilizes the influence of elder men in his life to help defeat the mother's influence, and instill in the man a sense of risk taking and autonomy. The catch is this, in this process of becoming independent, a man must also become free of his father's rules, regulations and all things the father has set up in order to hinder the son's freedom. One could argue that when a former way of life is overthrown this is "Slaying of the Father" in grand scale. The younger generation rises to overthrow the oppressive regime instated years ago by the Elder generations.

So when Crowley mentions "The crowned and conquering Child" and the Aeon of Horus, I cannot help but see it as a declaration of the child's independence in the "Slaying" of the two older Aeons.

In Egyptian myth, while Horus was fighting Set (representing the male "knight" that enforces the ways of the "Mother") there is a part where Isis turns into a scorpion and bites Horus' leg. Isis later assists Horus in defeating Set, and Horus in anger at his mother's help, he smites her.

Just my thoughts on Crowley and the Aeons.

- Imperator X.

Frans_Jozef
Saturday, June 25th, 2005, 02:52 PM
http://www.poeforward.com/poetrycorner/crowley/poems.htm

http://www.poemhunter.com/aleister-crowley/poet-6907/

http://members.aol.com/SunnyShah/esoterica/crowley.htm

Frans_Jozef
Saturday, June 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Hymn to Lucifer

Ware, nor of good nor ill, what aim hath act?
Without its climax, death, what savour hath
Life? an impeccable machine, exact
He paces an inane and pointless path
To glut brute appetites, his sole content
How tedious were he fit to comprehend
Himself! More, this our noble element
Of fire in nature, love in spirit, unkenned
Life hath no spring, no axle, and no end.

His body a bloody-ruby radiant
With noble passion, sun-souled Lucifer
Swept through the dawn colossal, swift aslant
On Eden's imbecile perimeter.
He blessed nonentity with every curse
And spiced with sorrow the dull soul of sense,
Breathed life into the sterile universe,
With Love and Knowledge drove out innocence
The Key of Joy is disobedience.