PDA

View Full Version : Early Americans from Lagoa Santa

morfrain_encilgar
Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Here is an analysis of nine early South American crania from Cerca Grande that represent one population. The crania show long, narrow faces, prognathism, and noses and orbits that are wide and narrow.

The crania have most affinities with Old World populations of a tropical origin in a principle components analysis, and the shortest Mahalanobis distance from Cerca Grande are with Easter Island and Melanesia. In an analysis using multidimensional scaling, Cerca Grande is within the variation of Australoid populations along one axis, but not in another dimension where they wewe closer to other populations., and the results of this analysis are interpreted as not being as clear as other results.

Agrippa
Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 09:38 PM
These Australo-Melanesids were later almost fully extinct by new arrivers from Eurasia, mostly Mongoloids and some Europoids of a Cromagnoid type too.
Mainly Fuegids show some affinities I'd say.

morfrain_encilgar
Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
These Australo-Melanesids were later almost fully extinct by new arrivers from Eurasia, mostly Mongoloids and some Europoids of a Cromagnoid type too.
Mainly Fuegids show some affinities I'd say.

The early Eurasians with admixture from beachcombers migrating north and the Lagoa Santa "Australoids" were present before the Neomongoloid admixture and though there was probably intergrading between them they represent populations in different areas. The Fuegids show craniometric differences from the type associated with Lapa Vermelha, or the historical Pericu, so they may represent a seperate immigration. In my opinion there were at least four migrations into the Americas before the Neomongoloids because of the heterogeneity of early American crania.