PDA

View Full Version : Dinarid and Balkanian Pigmentation

Huzar
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Mamy people perceive balkan area, and more in general populations of yugoslavia and other southern SLAV nations to be much more dark than they really are. I've matured this opinion reading a combination of DATA and DESCRIPTIONS by Biasutti texts. Biasutti, report the results of his personal studies, integrated with the work of other researchers, like LEBZELTER, DENIKER and Skerlj. The typical classic dinarid type has medium brown hair usually with a minority of "real" black hair. The eyes are usually more depigmented than the hair (this is the rule for the major part of central european populations) with a range near the mixed light shade (green, green-brown, gray), while the skin, appear to be in intermediate ; not dark like "classic" mediterranean populations, rather similar to the Alpine range (J. DENIKER description, of dinarid pigmentation, 1910). Although, he says, we can note darker pigmentations in the most meridional areas of balkans (Albania, south Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria and west Turkey), but here, the dinarid type is very mixed with the East-med subtype. Besides the stature, becomes short, from the high "pure" dinarid standard, clear sign of Mediterranean influence. In conclusion, we can speak, in previously cited geographic areas, NOT of a Dinarid type, rather of "dinaricized" mediterranean, distinctly southern european; often, it seems to me, Dinarid and dinaricized mediterranean, are a bit confused, in terms of pigmentation and traits, by many peoples, who tend to reduce the Dinarid type to a mediterranean sub-group.Anthropologically speaking, it's wrong : In Biasutti-Deniker-Lebzelter opinion, the pure Dinarid type is more assimilable to the area of Central Europe, while dinaricized Mediterraneans are more assimilable to the area of southern Europe. However, here are the labels of pigmentation study on several countries of the area :

ROMANIA = light/mixed light eyes = 57-62% ; light hair 18-20%(red 1,5%)

SERBIA = light/mixed light eyes = 40-45% ; light hair 15 %

CROATIA = light/mixed light eyes = 65-70% ; light hair 15-20%

BOSNIA = light/mixed light eyes = 48-52% ; light hair 10-15%

SLOVENIA = light/mixed light eyes = 58-65% ; light hair 30-35 %

With "light hair", the author means blond. This doesn't mean the rest of population being black/dark brown haired : the most common colour is a series of various medium-brown shades. These percentages, seem to me more central-european than southern european. (especially the eye colour).

executiona9
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I would like to know at what age the haircolor data was collected, as haircolor darkens with age.

in Central-Europe most young children have blond hair, but most adults in Central-Europe have brown hair

Huzar
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I would like to know at what age the haircolor data was collected, as haircolor darkens with age.

in Central-Europe most young children have blond hair, but most adults have brown hair

The studies were conducted on adult males or soldiers. In children, the percentages of blondism are higher. (in Bulgaria, for example a 40 % of children show this trait)

executiona9
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
The studies were conducted on adult males or soldiers. In children, the percentages of blondism are higher. (in Bulgaria, for example a 40 % of children show this trait)ok, I see. Thanks

by the way, another point is that there is a difference between men and women

Women tend to be lighterhaired than men on average. This cannot be only explained by the fact that women dye their hair blond more often than men.

Women are also naturally lighterhaired than men on average

For example : I believe that the statement that 15 % of Serbian and 20 % of Croatian men are naturally blond is accurate. However when it comes to Serbian and Croatian women, I think the `naturally blond rate` is more in the range 25-30 %

Huzar
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM
ok, I see. Thanks
by the way, another point is that there is a difference between men and women
Women tend to be lighterhaired than men on average. This cannot be only explained by the fact that women dye their hair blond more often than men.
Women are also naturally lighterhaired than men on average
For example : I believe that the statement that 15 % of Serbian and 20 % of Croatian men are naturally blond is accurate. However when it comes to Serbian and Croatian women, I think the `naturally blond rate` is more in the range 25-30 %

Yeah, you're right. The study was on entire population and not on a single sexual category. Although this, almost all authors, note a major proportion of blondism in women. In all human group, the female element is a bit less pigmented than male element. I've no idea of a precise percentage, but in north yugoslavia, i'd say 25% of light haired woman to be reasonable.

Curiousity : the blondism proportion in your country ? ( only your personal observation. I understand you're not an anthropologist;) .)

executiona9
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM
edit : its kind of offtopic. Lets talk about this in PM

cruhmann
Sunday, March 20th, 2005, 11:08 PM
It is erroneous to characterize central Europe as either prevailingly blond or brunette. It varies from place to place, with pockets of either dark, intermediate or blond, or various mixtures of the 3 predominating, or about even. By the way, intermediate and mixed pigmentation do not always mean the same thing. Intermediate coloration can be medium brown to dark brown hair and greenish-brown or green eyes, typical of many Alpines and certain types of Dinarics. An example of mixed pigmentation would be dark brown or black hair with blue or light grey eyes, or blond hair and brown eyes.

Huzar
Monday, March 21st, 2005, 12:02 AM
It is erroneous to characterize central Europe as either prevailingly blond or brunette. It varies from place to place, with pockets of either dark, intermediate or blond, or various mixtures of the 3 predominating, or about even. By the way, intermediate and mixed pigmentation do not always mean the same thing. Intermediate coloration can be medium brown to dark brown hair and greenish-brown or green eyes, typical of many Alpines and certain types of Dinarics. An example of mixed pigmentation would be dark brown or black hair with blue or light grey eyes, or blond hair and brown eyes.
Yeah, it's true. To be sincere, i think we can speak about two kinds of dinarids : Dinarids from south balkans, and dinarids from northern balkans or central europe
The first group, is heavly mixed with mediterranean race (for example, the albanians) so are rather dark with a brownish pigmentation. Instead, the second group from north-balkans/central europe, are not different, in pigmentation from the other types of the same area. (light eyes are predominant and blondism proportion is high). Imo, the dinarid type hasn't an own typical pigmentation, rather is influenced HEAVLY by the nearest group.
The major part of dinarid is in southern balkan, very near to mediterranean domain, so this makes inevitably darker the complexion. Although, dinarids from southern Germany, are notable lighter. They have the same complexion of alpinids less or more (without citing direct different levels of nordid admixtures who go under the name of noric or other)