PDA

View Full Version : Kolossal...............

Huzar
Thursday, March 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I've admired in my youth (i'm still young;) ) several Historical Kolossal movies : my favourite are : SPARTACUS (Stanley Kubrick, 1960). QUO VADIS (1951 version) and BEN HUR (1959). I appreciate Charlton Heston Kolossal : KARTHOUM (1966) , 55 days to Beijing (1965), EL CID (1961). Unusual for a guy of my generation. However, to be more "modern" i must cite BRAVEHEART, THE GLADIATOR, and THE LAST EMPEROR (Bertolucci, 1987).

Siegmund
Thursday, March 17th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I've admired in my youth (i'm still young;) ) several Historical Kolossal movies : my favourite are : SPARTACUS (Stanley Kubrick, 1960). QUO VADIS (1951 version) and BEN HUR (1959). I appreciate Charlton Heston Kolossal : KARTHOUM (1966) , 55 days to Beijing (1965), EL CID (1961). Unusual for a guy of my generation. However, to be more "modern" i must cite BRAVEHEART, THE GLADIATOR, and THE LAST EMPEROR (Bertolucci, 1987).
Don't forget Hero... a personal favorite of mine, with a propagandistic subtext Dr. Goebbels himself would have been envied and, of course, imitated. :)

Huzar
Thursday, March 17th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Don't forget Hero... a personal favorite of mine, with a propagandistic subtext Dr. Goebbels himself would have been envied and, of course, imitated. :)

HERO.........of course. ;)

Awar
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Must-see:

Barry Lyndon

By Stanley Kubrick

Dr. Solar Wolff
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 06:19 AM
You forgot "Get Shorty". I am absolutely sure Awar would like this if he hasn't seen it. It says more about American culture than anything I know and Awar will appreciate this before he begins teaching English and American Culture in California.

Huzar
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Must-see:

Barry Lyndon

By Stanley Kubrick

Yes, i've already seen that movie. In my opinion is one of best kubrick works,(like shining and full metal jaket) , though i don't consider it, exactly like a kolossal ; i mean, it's a beautifull biographic fresco of 18th century, but without the typical epic sense, carachteristic of the real kolossal. If we observe very well all Kubrik movies, probably we find many great operas, but almost nobody real kolossal. His style is the "dehumanization" of people and of the reality. This is a sort of critic to the world around him However, be sure, i'll put "Berry Lyndon" title in another thread.......

Siegmund
Friday, March 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Yes, i've already seen that movie. In my opinion is one of best kubrick works,(like shining and full metal jaket) , though i don't consider it, exactly like a kolossal ; i mean, it's a beautifull biographic fresco of 18th century, but without the typical epic sense, carachteristic of the real kolossal. If we observe very well all Kubrik movies, probably we find many great operas, but almost nobody real kolossal. His style is the "dehumanization" of people and of the reality. This is a sort of critic to the world around him However, be sure, i'll put "Berry Lyndon" title in another thread.......
I usually think of Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey as an epic, though the theme of dehumanization is certainly apparent.