PDA

View Full Version : Make Money With Google Adsense

Ahnenerbe
Thursday, March 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Any person who owns or is thinking about creating a website would be crazy to ignore this.

Earning money with your site, no matter the topic, has become easier than it's ever been before.

People are ecstatic over the earning potential for this free program created by one of the most popular and respected search engines on the Internet.

First of all, Google.com earns most of its money by allowing other website owners to advertise on their search result pages.

Now you can earn a share of the revenue that Google earns by placing these same text ads on your site. The program is called Adsense.

I don't usually like to use the term "easy money" because there really is no such thing. You still have to create your own website and learn how to bring in traffic in order to make good money with this program. I don't want to make it sound like you get something for doing absolutely nothing.

However, I've got to say that Adsense is the closest I've ever come to "fast cash" on the Internet. And what's even better...the program is completely free.

I have been receiving monthly checks from Google since July of 2003. Not to mention, a colleague of mine earned $2,000 during his first month. There are no catches, minimal earnings or tricks to success here. All you need is a website that gets some traffic.

Now, $2,000 in a single month is probably not the norm for most participants. My monthly checks usually range between $500 and $600, but it shows you what is possible if you learn how to capitalize on this opportunity.

Every website owner should be involved in this. It's just too good of an opportunity to pass up. Even if your site is just for fun, you can still participate and make decent money with Adsense -- or at least enough to fund your website.

So if you are one of those people that don't like the idea of paying for a site, this is an excellent way to earn your money back and then some.

Even if you earned as little as $10 in a month, it would more than likely cover some or all of the costs for your web site.

Or, if you are simply looking for ways to add additional revenue to your website, then it's perfect for that situation too.

This program is getting so popular, people are creating websites just to display the ads and profit from Google's Adsense alone.

How Adsense Works

If you go to Google.com (http://www.google.com/) and do a search for almost any keyword phrase, you'll notice some "Sponsored Links" that appear on the right side of the screen that are relevant to the keywords you just searched for.

Website owners pay Google a predetermined amount every time their ad gets clicked by a web surfer.

With the Adsense program, you will display these same text ads on your site just like Google and get paid for it. All you do is copy and paste some provided HTML code into your pages and Voila!

Every time an ad is clicked on your site, you will receive a certain percentage of what Google receives from the advertiser.

Once your account reaches $100, you'll receive a check in the mail.

"Is Google Crazy?"

I know what you're probably thinking...

"What's the catch here? Why would Google just give away money advertisers are paying them?"

The answer...

Because Google is very smart.

Now that I understand how Adsense works, I can see that it's a win-win situation for everyone involved, and the bottom line benefits Google.

Let me explain...

Since the advertiser's ads are now being displayed on more web sites all over the internet (instead of just Google's site), they are getting much more exposure. More exposure means more clicks and even more traffic for their site over a shorter period of time.

This is also good news for Google because the more traffic the advertisers receive, the faster their funds are used up. Remember, they get charged every time their site gets a visit. And of course, it is Google's hope that they'll continue to keep funneling more money into their account for more ad exposure.

What an ingenious way for Google to increase the amount of money they earn from advertisers while building loyalty with website owners (like us) who are now getting paid to help them advertise.

Of course, I'd expect nothing less from the #1 search engine on the web. :)

"How Much Can I Earn With Adsense?"

Google does not disclose exactly how much you'll earn per ad that is clicked.

The commission you receive per click depends on how much advertisers are paying Google for the particular ad. You will earn a share of that amount. I've heard of earnings anywhere from 2 cents to $15 per click.

So it is logical to believe that keyword phrases like debt free, employment, make money, mp3, sex, etc. will earn you more per click since these are highly competitive keywords that are searched for quite a bit on the web.

Advertisers generally pay more for competitive terms for obvious reasons.

Even though Google will not reveal how much you are earning for each ad that is clicked from your site, you can still login to your account at any time and see the total amount of revenue you've generated that day, week, month, year, etc.

For example, if you see that you've made $12.60 today from 9 clicks then you can calculate that your average click-thru commission was $1.40 per click. That's as detailed as their stats will get. And remember, that's only an average. You'll still never know how much each specific ad brought in.

The amount you'll earn also depends largely on the amount of targeted traffic you receive to your own site, how well the ads match your audience's interests and of course, the amount you receive per ad click.

Ideally, you should create a site on a topic you know a lot about. That way you'll have a much easier time creating a generous amount of content on that subject.

How Google Matches the Ads to Your Site's Content

One of the main reasons this program is so successful is because the ads that are displayed closely match the content of your website. This increases the chances that someone will click on the ads.

Here's how Google accomplishes the content match (in their own words)...

"...We go beyond simple keyword matching to understand the context and content of web pages. Based on an algorithm that includes such factors as keyword analysis, word frequency, font size, and the overall link structure of the web, we know what a page is about, and can precisely match Google ads to each page."

So let's say you have an information website about yoga. Once you join Adsense and paste their ad code into your site, Google's technology will determine the topic of the pages by scanning for keyword repeats, page title, etc.

If successful, you will see ads that relate to yoga displayed on your web pages. Of course, the more related the ads are to your site's content, the better the click-thru.

Keep in mind, the ads may not be an exact match because it depends on the ads inside Google's database. So instead of seeing yoga ads, you may see more generic ads like exercise, healthy eating, etc.

However, this is not a bad thing because these are topics your visitors will likely be interested in as well.

Google will give you tips on creating your pages (composing titles, body, keywords, etc.) so the ads displayed are as relevant as they can be.

Why I Believe Adsense Works So Well

For years, website owners have tried to make money from their sites by putting up banner ads in hopes of visitors clicking them.

The problem with banner ads is that the Internet audience is so immune to them, people do not click on them anymore.

When's the last time you clicked a banner ad?

Exactly.

Second, in order for the web site owner to earn money from that banner ad, usually the web surfer that clicks has to purchase something. With Adsense, your visitors just have to click the ads. They don't have to purchase anything.

Third, most people that use banner ads do not do a good job of matching the ads to the website's content so the click thru percentages are dismal.

With Google's Adsense, not only are you displaying text ads, (which tend to receive a much higher click-thru rate than banner ads), but you are displaying contextual ads that match your web site's content....thanks to Google's advanced technology.

Tips on Succeeding With Adsense

Here are some tips for achieving success with Adsense.

1. Create a website with your own domain name (http://www.2createawebsite.com/prebuild/register_domain.html). Don't try to use a free web host because your site will likely have banners and pop-ups and get rejected because it looks unprofessional.

Not to mention, a free web host will get you a web site address like this:

http://thefreewebhost.com/yoursite/member1234/home.html

instead of...

http://www.yoursite.com

See how much more clean and concise that last link is?

If paying for a website causes you to frown, remember the money you earn from Adsense could more than pay for the web hosting fees you'll incur.

Look at it as an investment instead of a cost. I never dreamed I'd be earning up to $600 in a month in such a short time. My Adsense earnings clearly outweigh the few dollars I pay every month to maintain my sites.

2. If the main goal of your site is to make money with Adsense, be sure to choose a topic that you know a lot about so you can write lots of content.

Don't like to write? No problem! There are sites like www.articlecity.com (http://www.articlecity.com/) that provide content for free. Just search their database and find articles that match the theme of your site.

3. Speaking of traffic, once your site is up and running you'll need to learn how to get your site listed in the major search engines.

Getting into Google is completely free right now and can bring in hundreds or even thousands of visitors per day. All you have to do is submit your site to The Open Directory (http://www.dmoz.org/) (free) and within 6-8 weeks your site will begin showing up in Google.

It can take a while to get into the Open Directory, plus they don't accept every site. So make sure your website is in tip-top shape and has a clear focus with solid, unique content.

Once you have at least 15 to 20 pages, visit their site, find your site's category and suggest it to one of the editors using their suggestion form. It can take a while before someone reviews it, but it's worth it because a listing here is almost a guaranteed spot in Google's engine.

You can also try to get into Google by submitting your site at www.google.com/addurl.html (http://www.google.com/addurl.html), however many have found this is not always guaranteed. It certainly can't hurt to try, though.

You'll also find that once you start appearing in one or two search engines, others will start adding your site as well. There is lots of free traffic out there and most of it comes from the good ole search engines.

4. Also, partner up with other related sites and participate in link swaps. This means that you place a link to another person's site on your own site and they do the same for you in return. This is a great way to get even more free traffic.

5. Don't be a copycat! I read an article about a lazy person that copied someone else's content word for word and pasted on their own site. They tried to join Adsense and they were rejected for unauthentic content. I don't know how Google found out their site was a duplicate of someone else's but they did.

It's not worth the risk. With sites like www.articlecity.com (http://www.articlecity.com/) that provide free content for you to use, there's no reason to copy off someone else's site. Be original. Laziness always comes to bite you in the long-run.

How to Join Adsense

After you have created your website and you're starting to get some traffic, go to https://www.google.com/adsense to apply.

Most sites are either accepted or rejected within 24 to 48 hours, so you shouldn't have to wait too long to find out if your application has been approved.

Once you've been accepted, simply copy and paste the provided HTML code into any page that you'd like to show the ads. If you've done a good job of defining the content on your web pages, the ads that show should be relevant to the content of your page...increasing the chances of click-thrus by your visitors.

You can either display the ads vertically along side the page like Google does or in a banner-like formation horizontally across your pages. The placement is up to you. You can even customize the colors to match your site's theme.

If Your Site Is Rejected...

If you receive that email from Google stating that your site has not been accepted, the first thing you should remember is that as an Adsense member, you are a partner and are representing Google.

They have to make sure the websites that display these ads are up to par or they could run the risk of losing advertisers. Imagine if you were paying Google to display your ad and you found it showing up on a poorly developed, junky website.

Of course, if your site is rejected, it doesn't mean it is poorly developed. There may be other reasons:

1) Is your site an "About Me" page? Google does not usually accept these kinds of personal sites because most of them do not have a specific topic or theme. They are usually just random facts about the website owner. It would be difficult for Google's technology to display targeted ads on these kinds of pages.

They are looking for "theme" sites that contain a generous amount of information on a specific topic. It could be anything from sewing tips to sports. Just make sure there is an obvious theme with enough information.

2) Is your site organized? Be sure your site has a neat and clean navigation that's easy to follow. Also ensure all the links work and that there are no typos. Keep the colors to a minimum and make sure each page has a consistent layout.

3) How many pages are on your site? Even though Google doesn't specify a page number requirement, many believe they are looking for web sites with a certain amount of content. Again, it's not likely a two-page site will get accepted. Try to strive for at least 15 pages.

4) Is your content solid? Don't just submit a website with a bunch of links to other sites. Be sure you have enough original content of your own to make your site unique.

5) Is your site an exact carbon copy of someone else's? Some believe Google can find out if your site is original or not. Don't risk it and steal from someone else. It will come back to haunt you.

If you're stuck, write a few articles of your own and then go to sites like www.articlecity.com (http://www.articlecity.com/) and sprinkle a few of their articles around your site to beef it up.

6) Be sure to read their program policy and procedures carefully and make sure your site hasn't violated any of the terms.

---

Google's AdSense a bonanza for some Web sites

Fri Mar 11, 6:28 AM ET
By Jefferson Graham, USA TODAY

Canadian software developer and part-time humorist Eric Gigučre made fun of the avalanche of Internet arthritis drug offers on his Web site last year. For his efforts, he received a $350 check from Internet search giant Google.

Gigučre has one of those ubiquitous "Ads by Google" links on his site, offering ads the search giant considers of interest to readers. You might think that people rarely click on them, but they do - and often.

"For my own, personal humor writing, I got paid," Gigučre says. "It certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities that were out there."

Google has a simple proposition for anyone who owns a Web site: Let it put up links to its ads, and Google's AdSense program will give you a piece of the action when someone clicks on them.

It's found money for many bloggers, small e-tailers and huge businesses - from small personal sites such as Gigučre's, to those of big-time corporations such as Amazon.com, the New York Times and About.com.

Gigučre was so inspired, he wrote a book, Make Easy Money with Google, coming in May from Peachpit Press. Hundreds of online forums and Web sites are devoted to AdSense tips and tricks. The downside of the AdSense economy, critics charge, is that the avalanche of ads has created a new form of spam and is destroying the integrity of sites.

"This is a program that rewards people not for creating the best content, but for how to create sites to attract more advertising," says Danny Sullivan, editor of Search Engine Watch online newsletter. "AdSense has nothing to do with search. It effectively turns the Internet into a billboard for Google's ads."

Google, whose executives often say their mission is to organize the world's information, naturally begs to differ. "If I do a search for the New York Times and see an ad offering a subscription discount, that's useful to me," says Susan Wojcicki, Google's director of product management.

Web site publishers don't disagree.

"Say I write an article about a Braun shaver," says Chris Pirillo, who runs the Lockergnome.com gadget Web site. "I publish it, and within minutes, I have targeted ads about shavers on my site. Someone who reads the content may feel compelled to pick one up. That helps me and the reader."

Tales of AdSense riches range from a few hundred dollars a month to $50,000 or more a year, though high-dollar paydays are rare. They require a Web site with tons of traffic and the ability to put in 18-hour days working the system.

Pirillo, who has a following from his former role as a host on the now-defunct TechTV cable channel, says he's clearing more than $10,000 a month.

Before AdSense, which began in March 2003, bloggers and other small Web publishers had fewer options to make money. They could put banner ads on their sites for a host of non-related products, or commission programs from Amazon and eBay. "It was a lot more work, and you didn't get much of a return," Pirillo says.

With AdSense, "You write content, publish it, and the money starts to pour in," he says.

When he published the now-defunct Silicon Alley Reporter magazine, Jason Calacanis says, he used to suffer from insomnia, worrying about his monthly $200,000 to $400,000 printing bill.

He now runs a company called Weblogs, which publishes 75 Web sites on such topics as cars, gadgets, digital music and video games. He sleeps much better, he says, because "with AdSense, you know you're always making money. Your life gets a lot easier."

In his first four months of Web publishing, AdSense brought in $45,000. Some of his blogs produce $3,000 a month. His best do "four figures," Calacanis says, though he's reluctant to fill in the exact numbers. "And that's with zero marketing," he says.

How it works

Google and Yahoo dominate the booming online search advertising business, which is expected to grow to $5.6 billion in 2008, from $2.7 billion in 2004. Profit from search advertising enabled Google to more than double its revenue in 2004, to $3.1 billion.

The concept - text ads that appear next to search results - works on a "pay-per-click" model. Advertisers pay only if someone clicks on an ad. To use the programs, advertisers buy "keywords" for anywhere from 5 cents to $100 a word. Those are the terms people type into query boxes when they're searching, such as "Atlanta wedding photographer" or "Omaha Italian restaurants."

AdSense works as a part of that keyword model; it's an offshoot of what Google calls its AdWords program, which competes against Yahoo's Overture unit.

AdSense is a bonus program for advertisers who use Google AdWords. Through AdSense, Google clients get to tout their wares beyond Google's home page - potentially reaching more than 200,000 participating Web sites.

Small Web site operators have flocked to AdSense as a way to attract advertising. To participate, they sign up at Google, which reviews the site. Once a small piece of computer code language is implanted on an accepted site, Google does the rest - matching ad links from its warehouse of clients to appropriate sites.

There's an art to optimizing a site to attract more links - and generate more revenue.

Gay Gilmore, who runs Seattle-based recipezaar.com, says the trick is to attract ads next to recipes beyond the main page. "The ads need to be targeted," she says, "so that when someone is reading about chicken soup, an ad for one of the ingredients is of keen interest."

Web site publishers need to be creative, says Dave Lavinsky of TopPayingKeywords.com, an AdSense advice site. A house painter advertising his services on a homemade site is leaving money on the table if he mentions only house painting, he says. "'Housepainting' is a 20-cent word. 'Home improvement' is worth $2, so you should create content for that."

But Sullivan says keyword tricks hurt the editorial integrity of sites. Another problem, he says, is the proliferation of computer-generated directories with links to hotels, restaurants and entertainment and no real editorial content, fueled by the availability of "Ads by Google" checks.

Wojcicki says Google tries to review all sites in its program, and removes offenders such as the directory sites. Critics say the site reviews can sometimes result in an FCC (news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/manual/usatoday/tc_usatoday/googlesadsenseabonanzaforsomewebsites/14544627/*http:/news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?fr=news-storylinks&p=%22FCC%22&c=&n=20&yn=c&c=news&cs=nw) - web sites (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/manual/usatoday/tc_usatoday/googlesadsenseabonanzaforsomewebsites/14544627/*http:/search.yahoo.com/search?fr=web-storylinks&p=FCC))-like "family friendly" filter. Bloggers complain about being rejected for discussions of sexuality and use of four-letter words.

"I begged, argued and appealed to reason for months," says author Susie Bright, whose site discusses sexuality issues. "I pointed out that all my postings were things you could easily read in ... any number of mainstream magazines that cover sex and politics from a fairly sophisticated point of view. And I pointed out that my readers like to buy trousers, go on vacations, purchase ink and basically buy all the same things that everyone else does."

Wojcicki wouldn't address the specifics of Bright's concerns, but says AdSense isn't for everyone. "We're very careful about who we let into our network. We reject sites with content some people may feel uncomfortable about."

With pay-per-click ads, Google and Yahoo are locked in a bitter battle for advertiser dollars. But Yahoo doesn't compete with AdSense for small publishers - yet. Yahoo says it will introduce an offering later this year.

For now, Google's most notable AdSense competitor is privately held Kanoodle, which accepted Bright's site. It works with small publishers and big ones (including USATODAY.com and MSNBC) and differs from AdSense in that advertisers can choose topic areas of the sites where they want their ads to appear.

"The search advertising market is red hot right now, and publishers and advertisers want more," says Kanoodle CEO Lance Podell. "We offer them more places to show their ads, and they love that."

How long will search sizzle?

Google's initial public stock offering last summer was a Wall Street sensation. The stock opened at $85 a share and now sells for around $180, down from its 52-week high of $216. Some analysts fret that the red-hot paid search market could start to cool down.

Forrester Research, revising downward earlier projections, expects 30% growth in search advertising revenue this year, after a 45% jump in 2004.

"Click fraud" is another nettlesome issue for Google and Yahoo.

Advertisers pay for ads only when they're clicked, but it doesn't always work that way.

Some competitors click ads just to run up the other guy's bills. Web publishers with AdSense get their friends to click ads so they can get more money. Some savvy webmasters have set up automated clicking models called "Hitbots" or "Clickbots," which click away all day, and cost the advertiser.

Such efforts "threaten our business model," Google CFO George Reyes said at a recent industry conference. "Something has to be done about this, really, really quickly."

University of California professor John Battelle, who is writing a book on search, says the success of AdSense has built a "growing, extremely sophisticated offshore industry."

"There are more of these sites than you can imagine," he says. "The robots click on the ads and then none of the clicks turn into leads for the advertisers. That's not how it's supposed to work."

Google and Yahoo say they are working on the problem, but Battelle doesn't think that's enough.

Yahoo, Microsoft and America Online have banded together on several occasions to fight e-mail spam, and Battelle says Google and Yahoo should show the same kind of joint leadership. "Because if they don't, it will end up biting them in the butt."

---

How to boost your AdSense revenue

Some webmasters are designing brand new sites specifically for serving AdSense text ads. Here's the background info:

Sense allows you to serve text-based Google AdWords on your web site and receive a share of the pay-per-click payment. AdSense ads are similar to the AdWords ads you see on the right-hand side at Google when you do a search there.

AdSense is having a huge impact on the affiliate marketing industry. Weak affiliate merchants will die faster than ever and big ad networks are going to lose customers fast.

AdSense's advantages

AdSense is simple to join.
It's easy to paste a bit of code into your pages.
It's free to join.
You don't have to spend time finding advertisers.
Google provides well written, highly relevant ads – chosen to closely match the content on your pages.
You don't have to waste time choosing different ads for different pages.
You don't have to mess around with different code for various affiliate programs.
You're free to concentrate on providing good content and Google does the work of finding the best ads for your pages from 100,000 AdWords advertisers.
It's suitable for beginners or marketing veterans.
How much can you earn?

Let's say you have a goal of earning $100,000 a year from AdSense. Is that possible?

Let's see ... $100,000 divided by 365 = $274 a day. So your goal is to produce either:

274 pages which earn $1 a day
or

548 pages which earn 50 cents a day
or
1096 pages which earn 25 cents a day
The following are hypothetical cases. To earn $1 a day per page, you need, per page...

400 visitors, 5% click-through rate (CTR) and average 5c payout.
Or 200 visitors, 10% CTR and an average 5c payout.
Or 100 visitors, 10% CTR, and an average 10c payout.
Or 100 visitors, 5% CTR, and an average 20c payout.
Or 50 visitors, 10% CTR and 20c average payout.
Or 25 visitors, 20% CTR and 20c average payout.
Or 20 visitors, 10% CTR and 50c average payout.
Or 10 visitors, 20% CTR and 50c average payout.
Or 5 visitors, 20% CTR and $1 average payout.

Let's assume you choose a goal somewhere around the middle, say aiming for 50 visitors per page and want 274 pages earning $1 a day. You'd need 274 x 50 = 13,700 pageviews a day.

Does that sound too tough? If so, you'd better look for more profitable keywords and ways to improve your click-through rates.

Let's try a different scenario. You choose more profitable keywords and make your $1 on average per page from, say, 10 visitors. 274 x 10 = 2740 pageviews a day.

That's looking easier to achieve. If your average visitor sees 3 pages, you now need 913 unique visitors a day.

Is that too tough to achieve in your niche? If so, create two sites, each attracting half that number, 456 unique visitors, a day.

Can't achieve those click-through rates and payouts? Then you'll either need more pages on your sites on more niche sites.

Some affiliates have a goal of writing one article a day and building one site a month.

Need a little more help reaching that $100,000 goal? Add affiliate commissions into the equation. Add a newsletter for repeat sales.

Choose the goal which best matches your site or sites.

Then start building keyword-rich pages containing well researched, profitable keywords, and get lots of high quality links to your site.

Please note, because of the AdSense rules, these are all hypothetical cases. I'm not allowed to give real cases. Real CTR rates and payouts vary hugely.

It's fast

Google usually approves web sites in less than a day.

After your site is approved, within a few hours a special Google spider will spider your site. Then it's time to paste the code into your site and the text ads will appear.

You can choose between either horizontal or skyscraper AdSense ads.

How AdSense matches ads to web pages

Google is doing a good job of finding ads that are highly relevant to the web pages.

Google says:

"We go beyond simple keyword matching to understand the context and content of web pages. Based on an algorithm that includes such factors as keyword analysis, word frequency, font size, and the overall link structure of the web, we know what a page is about, and can precisely match Google ads to each page."

Occasionally Google gets it wrong. It places great importance on the file name. So be sure to use important keywords in the file name of each page, such as "contextual-advertising.html" for an article on contextual advertising.

Also, watch out for your anchor text – the words in the links on your page. We've found that sometimes if irrelevant ads are being served, you can fix the problem by rewriting anchor text.

You can check the relevance of the ads by looking at the text ads near the top-right of this page.

Sites using AdSense

Sites using AdSense include large information sites, affiliate-driven sites, forums and blogs.

"Chat" sites are considered not suitable. Some blogs are being rejected, but information-rich blogs are being accepted.

GoogleGuy explains AdSense

GoogleGuy, an anonymous Google employee who contributes to discussions on the WebMasterWorld.com forums, explains how AdSense will help information sites:

"...sites that provide solid content, especially niche sites that don't want to hunt down their own advertisers, should really benefit ... there's a whole universe of people who ... mostly produce informational sites, and the chance to recoup their costs without much effort is nice. I hope AdSense does encourage more diversity and voices on the web, because now smaller sites can work on what they're interested in – the content of their sites – without worrying very much about the costs of self-publishing information."

How to choose sites to block

You'll probably want to block some of the AdSense ads from appearing on your site. As well as blocking rubbishy sites, you may want to block tough competitors.

The ability to block sites is especially important for sites that are not purely affiliate-income driven. For example, if you're selling a service or a product you won't want competitors' ads on your site.

You can find such competitors by doing some searches on Google for key phrases that are important on your site and looking at the AdWords ads that appear.

Affiliate programs versus AdSense earnings

Affiliate programs are often compared by looking at the EPC – earnings per click.

However, if you want to compare affiliate programs commissions with AdSense earnings, a more precise way is to calculate the payout you receive per 1,000 page views (CPM).

Here's how to calculate your CPM:

Let's say you earn $180 in affiliate commissions from 30 thousand (30,000) page views. $180 divided by 30 = $6. You have a CPM of $6. Not very inspiring, but not uncommon.

The AdSense stats display the effective CPM you earn.

Remember, AdSense doesn't have to replace your affiliate commissions. You can earn affiliate commissions AND AdSense commissions from the same page.

If you have a very efficient site with a high conversion rate, AdSense may not be right for you – or perhaps it would be suitable for SOME pages, but not others. Remember, the more choices you give people, the more likely you are to confuse them.

However, if you're creating a large information site, or if you have a site that does not have a brilliant conversion rate, AdSense could prove to be a very profitable addition to your site.

(Strictly speaking, CPM means COST per 1,000 impressions, but the calculation works OK whether you're spending money or earning it.)

How to boost your AdSense revenue

If you hear about people achieving high payments per click with AdSense, remember that's only part of the story. for high total earnings, you also need lots of page views and a high click-through rate.

Here are some ideas on how to achieve those three things:

If you're starting afresh designing a site specifically for AdSense revenue, you'll want a simple design that makes it easy to paste Google's code into a horizontal or vertical space on the site. For experienced webmasters, that's easy.

To increase your click-throughs, design a simple, uncluttered page with the AdSense ads displayed prominently.

Use white space, so that the AdSense panel catches the eye.

Where possible, use ads high on the page. They catch visitors' attention.

Experiment with borderless ads high on the page. (You can create borderless ads by setting the border color to the same as the background color. Look in your AdSense control panel under "Ad settings".)

Try placing AdSense high in the left-hand column. That works well for super affiliate James Martell.

On very simple, one-column pages, making your article wrap around AdSense ads near the top-right of the page works remarkably well for me on a non-Internet marketing site.

Stick to only one topic per page – that makes it easier for Google to serve up highly relevant ads on your pages.

Plain, bland pages with few competing hyperlinks result in higher click-through rates on the AdSense ads.

If you want to target certain high-priced keywords, use them in the file name, in the heading on the page, and in the first paragraph – in other words, use search engine optimization techniques.

If you change those keywords, Google will change the ads that appear on your page.

If you have trouble getting AdSense to serve relevant pages, check your anchor text – the words used in links on your page. Try changing some of those words.

Watch out for cases where Google has guessed wrong, and is displaying ads that won't interest your visitors. Figure out which words are involved, and rewrite those words. Help Google by sticking closely to the topic.

Don't worry about losing traffic via those clicks. If you can earn maybe 30 or 50 cents or more per click, you WANT to lose visitors!

You'll also want keyword-rich pages, optimized to rank highly in search engines, so you can serve lots of pages.

Try using ads at the top of the page and again at the bottom. At first, this wasn't allowed but AdSense changed the rules and it's now OK.

One of the beautiful things about AdSense is that you can now generate revenue from informational sites even if there are no obvious related affiliate programs. With more than 100,000 advertisers, there's a good chance that Google will find ads that match your pages, better than the big ad networks can.

Don't be tempted into trying to create thousands of spammy computer-generated articles. Human beings review sites for AdSense. Build useful, interesting sites. Google likes them.

One way to create articles quickly is use Gary Antosh's approach. He pays people to write articles for him - by the truckload. So far he has bought hundreds of them and paid only $5 per article. See How to buy articles for $5 - the details (http://www.associateprograms.com/search/newsletter234.shtml)

Another way is to use works that are copyright-free. Here's a book that describes how to find such articles: The Public Domain: How to Find and Use Copyright-Free Writings, Music, Art & More (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0873374339/associateprogram)

However, that technique isn't likely to be useful for long. At the very least, it would be wise to add your own introduction and conclusions to make your pages different from everyone else's.

For long-term success, write your own original articles on a topic you're passionate about. That way, you're writing for humans AND search engines.

Serious tracking to maximize profits

How do you find out which AdSense ads get the highest number of click-throughs? How do you find out which ads are best at generating clicks that pay?

AdSense provides what it calls "channels", and you can experiment to find out which pages on your site are generating the most revenue, which colors work best, what ad placement works best, whether you should use borderless ads, etc.

However, if you have a large site, you'll find AdSense tracking via channels is seriously lacking.

AdSense Tracker (http://www.associateprograms.com/adstracker) is a powerful php script that keeps detailed logs of all impressions and clicks on AdSense ads on all your websites without altering the ad code itself. The data can then be used to analyze the effectiveness of your sites, track different ad sizes and styles, or even individual pages.

You can track every click-through so you'll know what your visitors are looking for. This makes it easy for you to build more perfectly targeted, profitable pages.

It can track unlimited domains and pages. It's resource intensive and should be hosted separately.

If you just have a small site you probably don't need it. AdSense Tracker (http://www.associateprograms.com/adstracker) is a tool for professionals.

You want profitable keywords: high demand, low supply

Keep in mind that some topics attract much higher payouts per click than others.

For example, if your site is about topics such as debt consolidation, web hosting or asbestos-related cancer, you'll earn much more per click than if it's about free things.

On the other hand, if you concentrate only on top-paying keywords, you'll face an awful lot of tough competition.

What you want are keywords that are high in demand and low in supply.

So do some careful keyword research before you build your pages.

Why are the wrong ads being displayed?

Sometimes, Google seems to get it wrong. You create a page and ads you've seen elsewhere and were expecting to see on your page just don't turn up. Instead, you see vaguely relevant or totally irrelevant ads.

Here are four possibilities:

1. Your page isn't perfectly optimized for the keywords. It's very important to get the key phrase in the file name, for example "product-xyz.html", in the title, in the heading, in the first paragraph, in the body, at the end, and put it in the meta tag description, too.

2. Advertisers can choose to advertise just on Google's search engine. They can opt out of advertising on the AdSense content network. Perhaps the advertisers you're interested in have opted out. To check, type a few phrases into Google and try to find some sites that are displaying Google ads and see which ads appear.

3. Advertisers can choose which countries will see their ads. If you're in Canada, for example, you may not see an ad that people in the U.S. will see. To find out where ads are being displayed, download the free Adsense Preview Tool (https://www.google.com/support/adsense/bin/topic.py?topic=160).

4. This is very rare, but weird stuff can happen for no apparent reason. If all else fails, contact AdSense support. I've always found them prompt and helpful.

9 ways to do keyword research for AdSense pages

1. If you have a Google AdWords account, pretend you are planning to advertise using different keywords, and see how much you'd have to pay. That will give you a good indication of the popularity of the keywords.

Here's how. Follow these steps (https://adwords.google.com/select/steps.html). In step 2, "Create Ad Group", click on "Calculate Estimates" and "Recalculate Estimates". These show you the maximum you would have to pay per click to advertise for particular keywords or key phrases.

For finding new key phrases, you can also use the AdWords Keywords Tool (https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordSandbox). It may be useful. Sometimes it's not.

2. Keywords Analyzer (http://www.associateprograms.com/keywords-special) is a superb new tool which can generate thousands of key phrases that people are typing into search engines. If you have a Wordtracker account, you can also import data from Wordtracker and analyze it. It shows you, for example, how many advertisers have ad campaigns at AdWords for each phrase. If you're using AdSense, the more advertisers the better!

3. Have a look at the top 100 keywords on 7search. (http://7search.com/scripts/searchterms/top_paying.asp?n=100) This will give you a quick idea of keywords that people are willing to pay big money for. You can also type phrases into the 7Search Keyword Suggestion Tool. (http://conversion.7search.com/scripts/advertisertools/keywordsuggestion.aspx) This is just step one of your keyword research. You'll want to dig deeper.

4. At FindWhat (http://www.findwhat.com/) pay-per-click search engine you can do a search for any phrase and quickly see how much advertisers are paying per click.

5. You can also experiment typing words into Overture's View Bids Tool. (http://www.content.overture.com/d/USm/adcenter/tools/index.jhtml) Let's say you type in "asbestos cancer". The top three advertisers often pay about $12 per click. So that would be an good choice for a topic – provided you're a specialist on mesothelioma.

For "debt consolidation", the top two advertisers often pay more than $9 per click.

6. The free Web Marketing Keyword Bid Research Tool (http://www.musthavemarketing.com/overture/) speeds up your research at Overture. Type in a keyword and learn how much advertisers are paying per click at Overture and also find out how many searches were done on that keyword last month.

For "debt consolidation", the top two advertisers often pay more than $9 per click.

7. KeywordSleuth (http://www.associateprograms.com/search/keywords-demo.shtml) is a wonderful tool for very fast keyword research. You can find hundreds or even thousands of keywords – or key phrases – with just one click. It's fabulous to use if all you want is to find an enormous number of related key phrases with one click – much better than messing around with Overture. It has a free trial.

8. You can use Wordtracker (http://www.associateprograms.com/wordtracker) to look for the 1,000 most popular keywords. You can also use it to compile a useful list of keywords relating to one topic. If you buy it for a day or a week, you can do a lot of research in that time. It's the tool the professionals use.

Wordtracker has a free trial, but it's fairly limited. You can subscribe for as little as one day and do an awful lot of keyword research in that time.

9. The brainstorming and research tools in Site Build It! (http://www.associateprograms.com/buildit) are my favorite way to do brainstorming for keywords that are in high demand and low supply.. SBI is a superb tool – actually, a suite of tools. It's an all-in-one web hosting, site-building and web marketing tool. Type in a keyword and SBI Manager will present you with dozens of profitable keywords – ones with high demand and low supply. It can present them in order of profitability. Drill down, and you'll get dozens more profitable keywords.

---

Sources:

http://www.2createawebsite.com (http://www.2createawebsite.com/)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20050311/tc_usatoday/googlesadsenseabonanzaforsomewebsites

http://www.associateprograms.com (http://www.associateprograms.com/)

Conclusion

Google's Adsense Program may change the Internet. With the website hosting and domain names covered, more people would be happy to build websites and play with it. Personal publishing will boom. Google's program is unique from other advertisement network since its Ads are generally relative to the content.

Google AdSense (https://www.google.com/adsense/?sourceid=ASO&subid=US-HA-Jan0605)

> Indeed I think it will quickly play a role of "website darwinism" by increasing the number of those with high-value content and make the others fall into obscurity.

This could be easily implemented on Skadi. Between the " Top Thread of the Day" part and the "Forum" there is room for at least 6 AdSenses. It wouldn't make the forum look too ugly as it's possible to customize the colors.

The traffic is already here so it could auto-finance the cost of increasing frequentation of the site. More users = more costs, compensated by a few dozens clicks-a-day.

Horagalles
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Excellent post:) ,

If you want to target certain high-priced keywords, use them in the file name, in the heading on the page, and in the first paragraph – in other words, use search engine optimization techniques.This is where we need to start. Optimizing our web sites with relevant traffic for their keywords.

I collected some links that are helpful for optimizing web sites and building backlinks:
http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ad-network
http://info.vilesilencer.com/main.php?rock=seo-friendly.php
http://www.sitesubmit.ca/index.php

So I think we should start a thread on search engine optimization with all the tips and tricks to be used:thumbup. I got a vast number of more sources to be used.

Ahnenerbe
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 03:09 PM
We came up with a better business model in the meantime... ;) Skadi now provides a large panel of benefits for its Funding members (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=28234).

Horagalles
Monday, August 28th, 2006, 04:44 PM
We came up with a better business model in the meantime... ;) Skadi now provides a large panel of benefits for its Funding members (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=28234).My advice was not limited to generating funds for skadi, which is certainly necessary. What I dealt with was getting a higher ranking on search engines with relevant traffic, hence getting more traffic to the forum as well. Of course the info I provided was also intended to assist Skadi members having their own web site(s).