PDA

View Full Version : Mid sagittal cranial profiles in neanderthals and moderns

morfrain_encilgar
Sunday, March 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Here the affinities of archaic and modern populations, including modern Europeans and Australians, are investigated by a geometric morphometric analysis of eighteen landmarks of the profile of the skull.

In a relative warps analysis, neanderthaloids are seperated from moderns along one axis representing changes in the cranial shape, though Shanidar is intermediate between them. Kabwe and ER-3733 are associated with neanderthaloids on this axis, because moderns have a derived cranial profile, though Kabwe is an outlier on the second axis. Atapuerca Sima de los Huesos anteneanderthals are between Shanidar and Tabun on the axis that seperates moderns from archaics, and Jebel Irhoud is slightly closer to moderns than any neanderthaloid. The study therefore finds Jebel Irhoud, Atapuerca and Shanidar to be intermediate between moderns and archaics.

Frans_Jozef
Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 02:28 AM
The Shanidar specimens aren't interchangable, though all lack occipital chignons. The older group like Shanidar 2 have forward portruding faces, while the younger Shanidar 1 and 5 show the commonly mid-facial prognathism as seen in West European Neanderthals. I doubt they worked with the original material in Iraq that may or may not have survived the allied aggression.

Whereas this study wants to insist in cladistic permeability to secure the OoA hypothesis, I see only a gradual but continious anagenesis from anteneantherthalids into particular modern forms, perhaps in a slower and less linear move, which might tally with the general intermediary status of modern Europids.
Besides, archaic characteristics don't necessaryly vanish even if their significance in a new niche is obsolete, unless there's a selective agent working upon them due to precarious circumstances, so modernity should be investigated and evaluated in key with regional conditions.

I dealt two weeks ago with the possibility of in situ modernity without hybridisation in following threads:

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=30800

http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=31975

morfrain_encilgar
Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
The Shanidar specimens aren't interchangable, though all lack occipital chignons. The older group like Shanidar 2 have forward portruding faces, while the younger Shanidar 1 and 5 show the commonly mid-facial prognathism as seen in West European Neanderthals.

In this study Shanidar is represented by Shanidar 1.

According to Bruner et al, Shanidar 1 does tend towards neanderthals more than towards early moderns in midfacial, occipital and bregma profile, however they find that for these characters Chancelade 1 from the late Upper Paleolithic is closest to Shanidar 1 in their sample.

Frans_Jozef
Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 03:13 PM
According to Bruner et al, Shanidar 1 does tend towards neanderthals more than towards early moderns in midfacial, occipital and bregma profile, however they find that for these characters Chancelade 1 from the late Upper Paleolithic is closest to Shanidar 1 in their sample.
Both have steep, retracting occiputs as if they foreshadow the later brachycephals.

morfrain_encilgar
Saturday, March 19th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Both have steep, retracting occiputs as if they foreshadow the later brachycephals.

They find that Chancelade and Fonterossi are closer to neanderthals than early Upper Paleolithic and Middle Paleolithic moderns are.

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, March 20th, 2005, 11:47 PM
They find that Chancelade and Fonterossi are closer to neanderthals than early Upper Paleolithic and Middle Paleolithic moderns are.
I fail to see what brings Chancelade closer to Neanderthal, while I am convinced the Iberian mesolithics inspire a much greater cranial match with the former.

Oberkassel, however, is another story; pronounced browridges, considerable lambdoid flattening creating incidently a chignon, forcing the cranial structure to assume a loaf-like shape reminscent of Neanderthals, despire a higher and curved vault. He lacks also canine fossae and post-cranially there's a combination of Hn and Hs features.

morfrain_encilgar
Monday, March 21st, 2005, 12:01 AM
I fail to see what brings Chancelade closer to Neanderthal, while I am convinced the Iberian mesolithics inspire a much greater cranial match with the former.

Oberkassel, however, is another story; pronounced browridges, considerable lambdoid flattening creating incidently a chignon, forcing the cranial structure to assume a loaf-like shape reminscent of Neanderthals, despire a higher and curved vault. He lacks also canine fossae and post-cranially there's a combination of Hn and Hs features.

Chancelade 1 is closer to neanderthaloids, especially Shanidar 1, but also to the other neanderthaloids, along an axis that "mainly accounts for presence/absence of upper and midfacial protusion, bregma elevation and occipital projection" and which seperates the neanderthaloids from early moderns, according to Bruner et al. La Chapelle aux Saints 1, La Ferrassie 1, Tabun 1, Amud 1, Guattari 1 and Saccopastore 1 are increasingly distant from Chancelade along it.