PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Genealogy?

Bismark
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
What's Your Genealogy? Go back as far as you can, or as far as you want. If possible list your ancestor’s birth city, meta-ethnicity, nationality, and first language. Sir names (last names) are clearly optional, that might be revealing too much information about yourself.

Bismark
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Bismark's Genealogy:

Father- Place of Birth: New York City (United States) Meta-Ethnicity: Norwegian Nationality: American First Language: English

Paternal Grandfather- Place of Birth: Lillehammer (Although at the time it was called Fåberg) (Norway) Meta-Ethnicity: Norwegian Nationality: Norwegian- American First Language: Norwegian

Paternal Grandmother- Place of Birth: Hamar (Norway) Meta-Ethnicity: Norwegian Nationality: Norwegian- American First Language: Norwegian

Mother- Place of Birth: Lansing, MI (United States) Meta-Ethnicity: 50% Swedish, 25% German, 25% Germanisized Scot Nationality: American First Language: English

Maternal Grandfather- Place of Birth: Antigo, WI (United States) Meta-Ethnicity: Swedish Nationality: American First Language: English

Father of Maternal Grandfather (Great Grandfather)- Place of Birth: Motala (Sweden) Meta-Ethnicity: Swedish Nationality: Swedish-American First Language: Swedish

Mother of Maternal Grandfather (Great Grandmother)- Place of Birth: Motala (Sweden) Meta-Ethnicity: Swedish Nationality: Swedish-American First Language: Swedish

Maternal Grandmother- Place of Birth: Lansing, MI (United States) Meta-Ethnicity: 50% German, 50% Germanisized Scot Nationality: American First Language: English

Father of Maternal Grandmother (Great Grandfather)- Place of Birth: New York City (United States) Meta-Ethnicity: German Nationality: American First Language: English

Father of Father of Maternal Grandmother (Great, Great Grandfather)- Place of Birth: Kiel (Germany) Meta-Ethnicity: German Nationality: German-American First Language: German

Mother of Father of Maternal Grandmother (Great, Great Grandmother)- Place of Birth: Düsseldorf (Germany) Meta-Ethnicity: German Nationality: German- American First Language: German

Mother of Maternal Grandmother (Great Grandmother) -Place of Birth: Somewhere near Fraserburgh (Scotland) Meta-Ethnicity: Germanisized Scot Nationality: Scotch First Language: English

Bismark- Place of Birth: Won't tell (United States) Meta-Ethnicity: 50% (1/2) Norwegian, 25%(1/4) Swedish , 12.5%(1/8) German, 12.5%(1/8) Germanisized Scotch Nationality: American First Language: English

Zyklop
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 05:40 PM
German and Black-Sea-German for the last centuries.

Allenson
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Old Stock, colonial American--mostly New Netherlands Dutch and New English Yankee but a smattering of Scot, Irish, & German who settled in New England and upstate New York amongst the aforementioned English and Dutch folk.

Other than a couple later Irish ancestors (by way of Canada), my heritage here in the New World is all pre-American Revolution.

Marius
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Trasylvanian Hungarian and Romanian from both my grandmothers' sides. From the same sides there are also a Czech, some Germans and an Italian. From my grandfathers' sides, purely Wallachian Romanians.

Huzar
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM
North-western italian; from paternal and maternal lineage. Since 1650. Before, i don't know.

Awar
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Montenegrin, back to 1600's family, and 1400's clan.

Huzar
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Montenegrin, back to 1600's family, and 1400's clan.

Even the clan ?!? gosh !!! :-O

is there someone hre on
skadi with an older known origin ?

Fraxinus Excelsior
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Even the clan ?!? gosh !!! :-O

is there someone hre on
skadi with an older known origin ?Yes. My Norman ancestors, and their ancestors traceable to before 950AD, in Scandinavia.

Huzar
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Yes. My Norman ancestors, and their ancestors traceable to before 950AD, in Scandinavia.
Well, then you're assured descendant of british isles destroyers ;)

Fraxinus Excelsior
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Well, then you're assured descendant of british isles destroyers ;)Water under the bridge, I suppose. :D

Fraxinus Excelsior
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM
What's Your Genealogy? Go back as far as you can, or as far as you want. If possible list your ancestor’s birth city, meta-ethnicity, nationality, and first language. Sir names (last names) are clearly optional, that might be revealing too much information about yourself.My Great-Great-Grandparents (in random order): their general locations and their meta-ethnicities (alphabetically, not by predominance):

USA: English, Pennsylvania-Dutch

USA: Pennsylvania-Dutch

USA: English, Irish, Pennsylvania-Dutch

USA: English

Austro-Hungary: Ruthenian

USA: English, Scottish

British North America: Scottish

USA: English, German, Scottish

USA: Dutch, English, Irish, Scottish

Zrinski
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Croatian back to 1470s when my paternal ancestor came from Bosnia fleeing crumbling Catholic 'Kingdom of Bosnia' invaded by Turks. This line is 100% Croatian.

My maternal side is very mixed: 1/4 Czech/Moravian, Italian(North Italian-Padova), German(Austrian) and Hungarian(South Hungary-Banat).

Edwin
Friday, February 25th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Old American (before 1651) Highland Scots: Claflin - also some Canadian Oliphant (Highland Scots as well) - some more Highland Scots: Petrie - and mid-19th century English: Bennett.

Also some Southwest Irish on my fathers side: O'Donovan.

Why don't the rest of you put up your surnames, as they're basically required for a real answer?

Cosmotheist
Saturday, February 26th, 2005, 01:21 AM
To the best of my knowledge:

Paternal Grandfather - Scottish
Paternal Grandmother - German

Maternal Grandfather - Danish
Maternal Grandmother - Scottish

Awar
Saturday, February 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I suppose that I could trace it further back than the 15th century, but, only through some noble ancestry.

On the other hand, anyone can go to www.dnaheritage.com like I did, and
test their Y-chromosome markers.

After I got my results, and learned about what I got, I realized
my male lineage goes back some 8000-12.000 years in this same area.
I'm not kidding.

Prussian
Saturday, February 26th, 2005, 01:27 PM
More Recently it is as follows:

Paternal Grandfather - German
Paternal Grandmother - German

Maternal Grandfather - German
Maternal Grandmother - Englisch

Further back it is again German for the Germans listed. As for my Englisch grandmother she has some German background as well though she identifies with being predominately Englisch.

Stew
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Good thread, its great to see so many people who can trace proudly back many generations!

Paternal side:

Grandpa: Proudly a lowland Scot with direct liniage back to 1675. Our people lived and died on the banks of the Nith in Dumfriesshire. There were Reivers, there were Covenanters, and there were simple farmers.

Nana: Highland Scot, from Argyle. Once having Kin and Clan The family were cleanaced off thier lands like so many others and ended up in Glasgow where she was born.

Maternal Side:

Opa: Half Bavarian from Munich, Half Prussian from Breig (now Brzeg in Poland). Born in Berlin.

Oma: Half Prussian from Schleswig-Holstein and half Scot from Crail in Fife.

Mac Seafraidh
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Paternal Grandfather: Italian/Sicilian
Paternal Grandmother: Irish,German,Belgian

Maternal Grandfather: Irish
Maternal Grandmother: Irish

Hagalaz
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Paternal Grandmother - Polish, Russian
Paternal Grandfather - Polish

Maternal Grandmother - Irish
Maternal Grandfather - Scottish, Italian

Appalachian
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Some surnames of my direct ancestors on my mother's side (in no particular order, and not including her own surname):

Haldane
McMurde
Duncan
Trammell
Russell
Roberts
Robertson/Robinson/Robeson
Raleigh/Rawley
Pugh
Greene
Cooper
Lee
Watkins
Coker
Scrymshire
Dorton
Carter
Porter
Allen
Norris
Williamson
Dale
Presley
Harrison
Middlesworth
Hutchinson*
Howerton
McGhee
Forester
Gilly/Gilley
Huff
Barger
Collier
Berry
Hall
Ironmonger
Culliford
Eyers
Deaton
Gibson
Jones
Davis
Jesse
Scudder
Meynie/Manje/Magnee
Willis
Cook
Minton
King
Stewart
Darnold
Fulkerson/Volkertson/Volkertszen De Noorman
Janse
Vigne**
Cuvelier/Kuyper**
Hayes
Jordan
Alburtis/Alberti***
Corington
Truhitt/Truett
Phillips
Stoever
Summers
Hodges
Dunevant
Reinschmidt
Tooke
Eberwein
Riese
Ervin/Irvine
Yeats/Yates
Blair
Kelly
Buchanan
Sutherland
Armistead

*Andrew Jackson's maternal line
**This couple were, according to the journal of the Labadist missionaries Danker and Sluyter, the parents of the first White child born in New Netherlands (now known as New York), and are also direct ancestors of both Theodore Roosevelt and Thomas Edison.
***The first Italian-American, arrived in New Amstderdam from his native Venice on June 2, 1635. Killed by Indians. The only known Italian in my pedigree was the first one here. :)

Many were veterans of the French and Indian War, Lord Dunsmore's War, the American Revolution, the war of 1812, the Civil War. There are other notable factoids, but anyway...

Dad's side is less well researched, since they came more recently from Europe, but names of direct ancestors (in no particular order, and not including my own surname) include:

Decker
Demick
Kraljic
Obester/Oberster
Lube/Luba
Graftema
Ehrlich
Boone

As you can see, this whole genealogy business is vastly complicated. The blood of all of those families (and certainly many, many more) flows in my veins.

Draco
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 01:02 AM
In alphabetical order:

DeMarco

Evelyn

Gordon

Shales (possibly Schales)

Van Buren

Theudanaz
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Haven't got very far back on every branch yet,
but made some good headway on the paternal side,
that brings us back to the original settlers of the states:
I've omitted my family name.
My mother is half danish, nearly half swedish, some scots english.
my father is more mixed, with old american-english lines as well
as norwegian, irish, and various german areas. there was a rumor
at one point of a red indian in the line farther back, but at my father's
generation it would have been (if true and barring reemergence) reduced to 1/64 or so. the below table might seem skewed in terms of ethnic origins because certain lines have been traced back farther than others and accumulated more names/origins.

17th cent. Rev. carter, (english)
18th cent. cochran (english?)
17th cent. parkhurst (english)
19th cent. heath (english)
18th cent. allen (english)
17th cent. kvalen møllerup (norwegian - hordaland)
19th cent. nordbye (norwegian, danish by adoption)
17th cent. gietzman (teutono-norwegian)
16th cent. nilsson, salomonsson: haukanes (norwegian)
19th cent. halverson (norwegian)
17th cent. milde (norwegian - hordaland)
19th cent. christensen, pedersen: bunch (danish - jylland)
19th cent. christensen, larsen: langer (danish - jylland)
19th cent. seitz (bavarian)
19th cent. güngerich (swabian)
19th cent. dunn (irish)
18th cent. hyatt (english)
19th cent. johnston (english - scots-english?)
19th cent. jönsson: lindberg, höglund (swedish - småland)

Allenson
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Allen, Stewart

We share two names. Pretty common ones, no doubt... ;)

De Ogle
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Paternal Grandfather: Welsh
Paternal Grandmother: Northern English

Paternal Grandfather: Irish
Paternal Grandmother: Irish

I've traced my grandmother's maiden name back to before the Norman invasion of England, the surname was brought with the Vikings, and the family had an illustrous Border Reiver history. Currently working on a surname page dedicated to this family.

Appalachian
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
We share two names. Pretty common ones, no doubt... ;)

:thumbup

My gg-grandmother was a Stewart, descended from Dr. John Stewart*, who was born in Scotland and immigrated to New Netherlands sometime in the late 17th century. He married Elizabeth Alberti, a grandaughter of that first Italian to settle in America (and whose descendents, like the Fulkersons, Duncans, and others, reenter my family tree at different points), and had many children. Some of them, like his son Samuel, through whom I am descended, moved south, first stopping in Delaware, then continuing down the Valley of Virginia in the great migration of the Scotch-Irish.

Some of the other children were said to have gone north, and it is is sometimes claimed that Elizabeth Alberti Stewart herself died in Londonderry, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. That's fairly close to your neck of the woods, right? Who knows, we could be kin!

:prost

~~~~~~~
*One interesting mention of ol' Johnny here was in Volume II of Charles Hanna's Scotch-Irish: The Scot in North Britain, North Ireland and North America. In the chapter entitled "Notes on the Genealogies of the Presidents," he writes:

Theodore Roosevelt was born in New York City , October 27, 1858 , the son of Theodore (1831-78 ) and Martha Bulloch Roosevelt . Martha Bulloch Roosevelt was the daughter of Major James-Stephens and Martha-Stewart Bulloch (the latter a daughter of General Daniel and Susan Oswald Stewart , and granddaughter of John Stewart , who was the son of John Stewart of Scotland); granddaughter of James (1765-1806 ) and Ann-Irvine Bulloch (the latter a daughter of John and Ann-Elizabeth-Baillie Irvine [the latter a daughter of Kenneth Baillie ] and granddaughter of Charles Irvine of Cults and Euphemia Douglass Irvine [the latter a daughter of John Douglass , Laird of Tilquhillie and Inchmarlo , and Agnes Horn Douglass , daughter of James and Isabel Leslie Horn of West Hall]); great-granddaughter of Governor Archibald and Mary De Veaux Bulloch of Georgia (the latter a daughter of Judge James and Anne Fairchild De Veaux [the latter a daughter of Richard and Anne Bellinger Fairchild , and granddaughter of Edmund Bellinger ]); and great-great-granddaughter of James (1701-1780 ) and Jean Stobo Bulloch , the former born in Scotland (the latter a daughter of the Rev. Archibald and Elizabeth Stobo , who removed from Scotland to the Isthmus of Darien in 1698 and thence to Charleston, South Carolina , in 1700 ). Theodore Roosevelt , Sr. (1831-1878 ), was the son of Cornelius-Van-Schaik (1794-1871 ) and Margaret Barnhill (d. 1861 ) Roosevelt (the latter a daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Potts Barnhill of Philadelphia ); grandson of James-I . (1759-1840 ) and Mary-Van-Schaik (1773-1845 ) Roosevelt ; great-grandson of Jacobus (b. 1724 ) and Annetje Bogaert Roosevelt ; great-great-grandson of Johannes (b. 1689 ) and Hilotje Syverts Van Roosevelt ; and great-great-great-grandson of Nicholas (b. 1658 ) and Hyllotje Jans Van Roosevelt . Nicholas Van Roosevelt was the son of Claes [Nicholas]-Martensen and Jannetje Samuels-Thomas Van Roosevelt of New Amsterdam , who came from Holland in 1649 ; and grandson of Martin Van Roosevelt of Holland . The Bulloch or Balloch clan was a sept of the McDonalds.

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I typed Paternal twice, but obviously the bottom is Maternal. Sorry about that.

Prussian
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I typed Paternal twice, but obviously the bottom is Maternal. Sorry about that.Nothing be sorry about my good man. Just go check your post now.;)

Allenson
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Some of the other children were said to have gone north, and it is is sometimes claimed that Elizabeth Alberti Stewart herself died in Londonderry, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. That's fairly close to your neck of the woods, right? Who knows, we could be kin!

Yes, indeed--Rockingham County is in SE New Hampshire and around 2.5 hours drive southeast of where I am.

I don't know much about my own Stewart line other than a woman by the name of Jenet (or sometimes found as Janet) married David Allen in Scotland and then they came to America just before the Revolution with David's brother, William Allen. They settled in a town called New Scotland (go figure! ;) ) which is in central Albany County, NY. From our research, the Allen brothers (and likely Jenet as well) came from Fowlis Wester in Scotland which is a bit inland from Perth on Scotland's eastern coast.

Jacobyn
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I have no idea what my genealogy is exactly. My fathers family is dutch for as far as they can look it up.
My mother and her parents were born dutch, but my mothers grandmother/father (my great grandmother/father) came from the Czech republic (I have no idea what it was called back then) and Austria.

So I might be 1/8 part Slavic. But I actually have no idea, I never really searched for it.

Fraxinus Excelsior
Tuesday, March 1st, 2005, 06:42 AM
but my mothers grandmother/father (my great grandmother/father) came from the Czech republic (I have no idea what it was called back then) and Austria.Austro-Hungary

Southern Jarl
Saturday, March 12th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Yes. My Norman ancestors, and their ancestors traceable to before 950AD, in Scandinavia.My forefathers can also be traced to 10th century Normandy. Perhaps we are kin!:)

Northern Paladin
Saturday, March 12th, 2005, 08:57 AM
My forefathers can also be traced to 10th century Normandy. Perhaps we are kin!:)

Very likely. If you go back far enough we are all related. More so for us Germanic Northern Europeans. Now my family can trace back our ancestory to as far as when William the Conqeuror set foot in England.

Basically I'm a real Northern Euro Mutt. English,German,Swedish,Danish,Frankish,N orwegian, It's all in me. I wouldn't exactly call myself racially mixed. :D

Fraxinus Excelsior
Saturday, March 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
My forefathers can also be traced to 10th century Normandy. Perhaps we are kin!:)It is very possible. :thumbsup

Edwin
Sunday, March 13th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Come on guys. Everyone's forefathers can be traced back to the Early Middle Ages. What did yours get up to? Hell, I descend from that same Donovan family responsible for the killing of Brian Boru's brother Mahon. The event allowed the man to take his first great hold, and from there to assume the High Kingship. Truly, the blunder helped to cause the eventual downfall of the Pro-Viking faction in Ireland, and that would lead to not only the eventual ruin of Ireland itself, but also of Norway as a power in the Atlantic! :D

Huzar
Sunday, March 13th, 2005, 08:33 AM
well, my last researches have traced back my "family line", until the mid of 16th century (1550 about). It's very difficult going back to a previous age, cause my family line is the "product" of an immigration(my paternal line) in actual area where i live, from another geographic area (southern Germany, to be exact) external to my nation(less or more 5 centuries ago) . Effectively, my surname is an "italianization" of a german surname.

Northern Paladin
Monday, March 14th, 2005, 03:27 AM
If you go back far enough the chances of not finding a shared ancestor or relative is very low.

Amber88Dawn
Monday, March 14th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Here is an extremely simplified version...

Mother-Surname-Crews
Maternal Grandmother-Smith
Maternal Grandfather-Crews
Maternal GreatGrandmother-Schaefer
Maternal GreatGrandfather-Smith

Father-Bingham
Paternal Grandmother-Horton
Paternal Grandfather-Bingham
Paternal GreatGrandmother-Wessel
Paternal GreatGrandfather-Bingham

My mothers side is mainly Welsh/English
My fathers side is English from what I know, although I haven't really begun to delve into that side as of yet.
On both sides there are a few people that are of German descent. :)

keltic_stijn
Monday, March 14th, 2005, 10:44 AM
never researched it...
But I had to do some research about my surname and I discovered that it is one of the rarest surnames in Belgium with only 31 people who have the name. Most in West-Flanders ( area Menen-Langemark). In france there are some , France-Flanders that is. Some in Holland, some in England and some in Germany. Time to make some babies !! ;)

Drakkar
Tuesday, March 29th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Maternal Grandmother - Foote ~ French Canadian (Quebec)
Maternal Grandfather - Hallberg (changed to Peterson after US immigration because it sounded "too jewish") ~ Swedish (Goteborg)

Paternal Grandfather - Mattern ~ German (in process of locating ancestry)
Paternal Grandmother - Angell ~ English/Scottish (descedant of Francis Cooke of Mayflower)

anaktas
Tuesday, March 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Maternal Grandfather: His ancestors were, in the island of Amorgos, the people with the largest properties, traced from the middle Byzantine era ( 1000 AD ) . During WWII all were taken/burned/sacked by the nazis and my grandfather was forced to move to Athens.
Maternal Grandmother:Her family was living in Ionia (today a Turkish area) probably since the ancient times. Her father, a well known war hero, killer of many Turks, was executed before her eyes. Living since 1930 in Athens.
Paternal Grandfather:His ancestors moved from Karpathos (an island in the eastern mediterranean) to Krete, in 1204 (after the crusaders captured Constantinople). Pure Greek, no less.
Paternal Grandmother:Undoubted descentant of the Latin dukes of the islands. She bears their name, and if you look her profile, she is exactly like Caesar's wife. That's why I have Sulla's nose, I guess. :D

Theobald
Tuesday, March 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Maternal Grandmother : Picardian (since at least 1700), from a village near to Amiens

Maternal Grandfather : Normandian, from Caen (so with possibly some Scandinavian blood)

Paternal Grandmother : 1/2 Burgondian (from Côte-d'Or) and 1/2 from Jura (Franche-Comté)

Paternal Grandfather : Alsatian, from Sundgau, with some German blood (I know that my surname is very common in Northern Germany, especially Hamburg's area)

So almost totally from Northern France. ;)

Hagalaz
Sunday, June 19th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Paternal Grandmother - Polish, Russian
Paternal Grandfather - Polish

Maternal Grandmother - Irish
Maternal Grandfather - Scottish, Italian Recently I've done some more research and I've discovered some new information about my lineage. It seems my Polish side may in fact be more German afterall.

Paternal Grandmother - Family came from near Austrian boarder. I was told by my great uncle our family was Austrian one day, Polish the next, due to changes in the boarders, however our last name never changed.

Paternal Grandfather - My Great Aunt informed me he is most likely Austrian as well.The only traces I found of this surname were a few immigrants that came from Germany to America in the late 1800's.

Maternal Grandmother - Half Irish, Half Northern English.

Maternal Grandfather - Scottish (Isle of Skye - Hotspot for Viking invasions.) and Italian

All of my new findings point towards Germanic heritage. But I'm still uncertain if I should claim Germanic blood...

Polaris
Monday, June 20th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Maternal Grandfather - English, French, Dutch, Scandinavian, German, and Irish
Maternal Grandmother - Scandinavian, Irish, Belgian, Dutch, French, English, German

Paternal Grandmother - French, English, German, Belgian, Argentine, and German
Paternal Grandfather - French, English, and Scandinavian

I couldn't get as far as the 1600s

Nordraserei
Monday, June 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Looks like the same mixes on both sides. Are your parents related?

Maternal Grandfather - English, French, Dutch, Scandinavian, German, and Irish
Maternal Grandmother - Scandinavian, Irish, Belgian, Dutch, French, English, German

Paternal Grandfather - French, English, and Scandinavian

I couldn't get as far as the 1600s

Polaris
Monday, June 20th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Not to my knowledge.

Nordraserei
Monday, June 20th, 2005, 11:52 PM
So no more Polish or Serbian?

Polaris
Tuesday, June 21st, 2005, 01:40 AM
My results of my search were flawed. I had a Pole in my family named Stanley Kowweljeski who passed a way a few years ago. I remember when I used to visit him in the nursing home he would talk in broken English. :~(

Northern Paladin
Tuesday, June 21st, 2005, 01:55 AM
Maternal side Scandinavian-Swedish and Danish
Grandfather-Swedish
Grandmother-Danish

Paternal side English/German/Scottish
Grandfather 1/2 English 1/4 Scottish 1/4 German
Grandmother 1/2 English/ 2/8 Scottish 1/8 German 1/8 Dutch

If you go back far enough I'm practically a bit of almost every Western European ethnicity. :D

Nordraserei
Tuesday, June 21st, 2005, 02:18 AM
http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=272984&postcount=34

Maternal side Scandinavian-Swedish and Danish
Grandfather-Swedish
Grandmother-Danish

Paternal side English/German/Scottish
Grandfather 1/2 English 1/4 Scottish 1/4 German
Grandmother 1/2 English/ 2/8 Scottish 1/8 German 1/8 Dutch

If you go back far enough I'm practically a bit of almost every Western European ethnicity. :D

Drakkar
Friday, June 24th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Here are the surnames of my paternal grandmother's line:
Francis Cooke of the Mayflower
Mitchell
Washburn
Packard
Summer (Sumner)
Keith
Perkins
Thomas
Blood
Angell~her surname
Platts

Southern Jarl
Sunday, June 26th, 2005, 01:58 AM

What do you mean by Argentine? Most white folks around here are mainly of Spanish/Italian origin...is that your case?

Requiem
Wednesday, July 6th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Father's side has been in New Zealand for over 100 years, came from Norway and Britain. Mother's side in New Zealand for 30 years, from Britain.

Thusnelda
Wednesday, July 6th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Well...I dont know so far, I only know that our family tree:

Maternal Grandfather - German, German, German, German
Maternal Grandmother - German, German, German, German, Swedish, German

Paternal Grandmother - German, German, German, Austrian, German
Paternal Grandfather - German, German, German, German

Huzar
Wednesday, July 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Well...I dont know so far, I only know that our family tree:

Maternal Grandfather - German, German, German, German
Maternal Grandmother - German, German, German, German, Swedish, German

Paternal Grandmother - German, German, German, Austrian, German
Paternal Grandfather - German, German, German, German

Never seen a more homogeneous background on this site......:D

Josep Conrad
Thursday, July 7th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Paternal Side: Traceable till the thirteenth century, côte d´arms certified and registred, services to Aragon and Catalan Kings, mainly skirmishing, bushwacking, storming, assaulting Kings´foes like muslims, Castilians, French and others, in the sixteenth century a part of the clan moved to Italy to fight the French and the Pope and the other part of the clan moved to Valencia to corsar in Mediterranean. Eighteenth century, the clan takes part in the war against the Borbons and for Austria. Ninenteeth century, the clan remakes the fortune with negro trade in Cuba and Puerto Rico, in the tweentieth, only two survivors, wrong decision in the Civil War.

Maternal Side: They suffer from what it is called by Valencia University "The Celt Gen", too much flat in blood, blue eyes and red or blond hair, mountain people from the interior, close clans remained intact from centuries, due to the wedding politics of my family, it could be arranged a wedding between my father and my mother. We never marry to "strange people". In this case there was an exception.

Theobald
Sunday, July 10th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Paternal Grandmother : 1/2 Burgondian (from Côte-d'Or) and 1/2 from Jura (Franche-Comté)
I recently found out that both my paternal grandmother's father (born in Burgondy) and my paternal grandmother's mother (born in Franche-Comté) were actually from Alsatian families (expeled in 1872-73 when Alsace became German again, because they were pro-French, and then re-installed in France proper) and that they came back to Alsace after 1918 (when Alsace became French again) and met there. Which would make me 50% Alsatian. It didn't really surprise me because my paternal grandmother was very "Alsatian-looking".

ChrisDownUnder
Tuesday, August 16th, 2005, 04:58 PM
7/8 English, and 1/8 Lowland Scottish. If I trace my family tree back further, I have some Norman ancestors (which is expressed in part of my surname). Also there is some lineage to Scottish King Robert the Bruce.

I am a direct descendant of Patrick Miller, first person to sail a steamboat in Britain, on the loch at his Dalwinston estate, near Dumfries, in 1788. Most of the men on my father’s side (himself included) were in the military, including a Lt. General who was in the British Army in India (1860’s).

I am attempting to put my family tree on a database, so some more details are coming to light as I research further. :)

ChrisDownUnder
Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM
Something a little humorous – my maternal Grandfather’s name is White, and his wife’s (my maternal Grandmother) maiden name is Power.

It would have been kind of funny if they had combined their names upon marriage, as is somewhat common these days. Mr. White-Power has a nice ring to it.

SiegUmJedenPreis
Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM
Maternal Grandmother - Sicilian/Southern Italian. She fled Sicily after WW2 to South Africa and then went up north and settled in Windhoek the capital city.

Maternal Grandfather - Northern German, he was living in German SouthWest Africa at the start of WW2..I heard from my mother he still supported the Kaiser until his death.

Paternal Grandfather - Austrian...not really too sure..he died when my father was just a boy.

Paternal Grandfather - Irish, she moved to South Africa in the 1950's.

SouthernBoy
Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM
Other than a couple later Irish ancestors (by way of Canada), my heritage here in the New World is all pre-American Revolution.
I've traced all of my ancestry to before the Revolution. ;)

I'm English; mostly Anglo-Saxon, although there are several Norman lineages. :D

I was under the impression I was part Celtic a few years ago, but they turned out to be English surnames.

simplex
Sunday, August 21st, 2005, 11:37 PM
Paternal Grandfather: German whose grandfather immigrated to hawaii from the schlewig holstein area of North Germany.
Paternal Grandmother: Anglo-Saxon type whose grandparents had come to US from England.
Maternal Grandmother: Still researching but her phenotype seems predominately nordic.
Maternal grandfather: German and predominately nordic.

Somewhere along the lines I think my paternal grandfather received some dinarid influence because my father and grandfather do not appear completely nordic despite their long family history and I also do not look completely nordic. But I can trace up my paternal line to early 1600's north germany where my ancestor lived as a Danish farmer. Also had a coat of arms which I may put up if I can find it.

Two people I can trace to are: Roger Sherman, one of the few to sign declaration of independence among other important colonial american documents. Maybe, though it gets a little fuzzy after all these years, I am also related to one of the King Henrys of England. To verify which one I would need to pull out my maternal grandmothers geneology folders. If I am related to one fo the kings,then my geneology would go very far back because all the kings are recorded by the church.

shockgrrrl
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 12:54 AM
*Father- born in Mass.
His Irish/English Mom,born in Mass., whose parents came over from Ireland and England-Mom's name,Dunovan(sp?) was from County Cork Ireland. Dad's last name was Carpenter. I've been told there may have been some Scandinavian blood mixed with the English.

His Ukrainian Dad was born in New Hampshire, USA
Whose mom was from Ukraine, emigrated through Austria, parents met in NYC, Dad was either Russian, Ukrainian or Polish... we think Ukrainian.

*Mother- born in N.J.
She was adopted so I don't know the names...
all I do know...
Mother German with some Scottish(Scottish grandma?)- may have been born in Ohio.
Dad was from Sweden.

Imperator X
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Paternal Grandmother = Franco - Irish, Irish.

Paternal Grandfather = Milesian Irish, German, Welsh.

Maternal Grandfather = AS English, Norman, Cornish, Anglicized Welsh.

Maternal Grandmother = Anglo-Saxon English, Highland Scot, French and Dutch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Names including but not limited to:

Paternal: Hughes, Dunn, Collier, Meyer (echt-Deutsch), Klein.

Maternal: Turner, Meekins, Romaine/Romijn (French and later Dutch), Western (Norman), Bostock/Bostwick (Original Anglo-Saxon), Brundage/Brundish (Anglicized Welsh), Munro, Muir (Highland Scot), Stevens (Anglo(?) - Cornish).

Esther_Helena
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I have quite a bit of info on my family tree. I'm still waiting for my aunt on my father's side to send me the info she has. She's taking her time, that's for certain.....

Paternal:
Father: born in Florida. I don't know what race exactly.
Grandfather: born in Indiana. He was adopted. I know his birthname.
Grandmother: born in Georgia.
GreatGrandfather: born in Indiana. I know his name
GreatGrandmother: born in Missouri. I know her first name.
Grandmother's parents: Need procrastingating aunt to get off her butt...

Maternal:
I have to use names, (surnames mostly), otherwise I'll confuse myself.
Mom (Supercommon surname): born in NC. Claimed Irish, English, Italian, German, Dutch, Swedish, American Indian, and Scottish ancestry.
Grandpa (Supercommon surname): born in NC.
Grandma Beam: I think she was born in NC.
Greatgrandpa (Supercommon surname): born in Georgia. I have the same birthday as he does.
Greatgrandma Dove: had english and german ancestry. Born in Georgia.
Greatgrandpa Beam: born in NC? Irish, Dutch, Scottish.
Greatgrandma Julian: born in NC? Dutch, Swedish, Irish
Greatgreatgreandpa (Supercommon surname): born in Georgia? I know squat about this guy, I know his name was Ace, of all things. I don't know who he married. I know he had at least 3 kids.
Greatgreatgrandpa Dove: born in Georgia
Greatgreatgrandma Lipp: born in Georgia. Half German
Greatgreatgrandpa Beam: born in Georgia.
Greatgreatgrandma Fortner: ?
Greatgreatgrandpa Julian: born in NC?
Greatgreatgrandma McIntyre: born in NC. Had 3 middle names.
GGGgrandpa Dove:born in South Carolina
GGGgrandma Gordon: born in Georgia
GGGgrandpa Lipp: born in Baden, Germany
GGGgrandma Johnson: born in SC
GGGgrandpa Beam: NC
GGGgrandma Wilkins: NC
GGGgrandpa Fortner: ?
GGGgrandma Dowell: ?
GGGgrandpa Julian: ?
GGGgrandma Virginia ? : ?
GGGgrandpa McIntyre:?
GGGgrandma Freeman: ?

My ancestors have been here in the states quite a while.
I'll have to make a list of my immigrant ancestors. I'm getting tired of typing all that.

æþeling
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Mostly English. One of my great grand mother's was Irish, another Irish and Scot (Highland). Another was possibly Welsh, although unsure. My surname is Scottish and can be traced to Argyllshire and Perthshire.

I count myself as a quarter Gael, possible trace of Briton, and the rest English.

æþeling
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
is there someone here on
skadi with an older known origin ?

I normally only count 5 generations for immediate identity. But if you want further then my claim to fame is that Guy De Dampiere Duke of Flanders 1252-1305 is an ancestor of mine on my mothers side. I intend to reclaim my throne when it is conveniant.:D

Hygd
Saturday, August 27th, 2005, 03:15 AM
My Grandmother had a book written about our family's geneology. We can be traced back to The Battle of Hastings and were Saxons. My Dad's side is all British as well and they were Presbyterian ministers...go figure...I'm Heathen! ;)

Southern Jarl
Sunday, August 28th, 2005, 03:51 AM
We can be traced back to The Battle of Hastings and were Saxons. ;)

On my dad's side, the line gets to Hastings too, though my ancestors were Normans. That is, from what my uncle (who is almost devoted to that stuff) found out. According to another source, I'm a descendant from William the Conqueror himself. Yet I strongly doubt this, and stick to my uncle's work.

Zrinski
Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Well William did have a lot of bastard children... :D :P

All people who have at least some noble blood can trace their lineage to some king and ultimately to almost all European nobility. ;)

CountBloodSpawn
Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Paternal grandfather-Irish

paternal grandmother-Dutch

maternal grandfather-British

maternal grandmother-Austrian/German

I'm having lots of fun discussing this...I see why geneology is popular here

Southern Jarl
Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Well William did have a lot of bastard children... :D :P

;)

Ouch :) !
Actually, I take from a documentary I've seen that William "the Bastard" (well, he WAS a bastard!:D ) or "the Conqueror" (I'd rather choose that name...) had a rare quality within the nobility, he was "extremely" faithful to his wife! It seems he learned from his own experience -I bet it's not nice to be a bastard.

Red Beard
Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 10:45 AM
MOM-75% irish/12.5% english/12.5%french DAD-50% luxembourgish/25% german/25%english SURNAMES-connolly-holden-o'hynes-lyons-brennan-mcmahon-stokes-english-sheldon-tribble-smith-brewster-hall-couch-gibbons-bisom-line-lutz-peters-dewolf-feirerisens-feltes-clemenceau

Zrinski
Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Ouch :) !
Actually, I take from a documentary I've seen that William "the Bastard" (well, he WAS a bastard!:D ) or "the Conqueror" (I'd rather choose that name...) had a rare quality within the nobility, he was "extremely" faithful to his wife! It seems he learned from his own experience -I bet it's not nice to be a bastard.

I know he was a bastard as well.

btw. we are talking about medieval era....I don't think anyone except priests was "faithful"....if priest as well...there were Popes with bunch of children...:D

Weg
Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 02:28 AM
I can't figure out how some peoples can trace their genealogy back to the XI century. I hardly go back to the last XIX century concerning mine...

æþeling
Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 03:00 PM
I can't figure out how some peoples can trace their genealogy back to the XI century. I hardly go back to the last XIX century concerning mine...

Depends if you are a peasant or noble.:D

One of my Flemish ancestors was Guy De Dampierre so it wasn't to difficult to trace the lineage from there. The rest are not so noble. For example I can trace some of my Irish kin to Cork c.1870's. Others I can only trace to Dublin, Galway, or Cork. My great grandmother I can trace back to Wales, but no further. Most of the rest of my family have lived in Derbyshire and Yorkshire. I can trace them back to around c.1500.

Weg
Wednesday, August 31st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Depends if you are a peasant or noble.:D

Yep, from what I know mostly peasants -fortunately- like a majority of us here. But hey, chances are for me to be a descendant of some royal bastards as well. :P

One of my Flemish ancestors was Guy De Dampierre so it wasn't to difficult to trace the lineage from there. The rest are not so noble. For example I can trace some of my Irish kin to Cork c.1870's. Others I can only trace to Dublin, Galway, or Cork. My great grandmother I can trace back to Wales, but no further. Most of the rest of my family have lived in Derbyshire and Yorkshire. I can trace them back to around c.1500.

I could easily trace mine back to the XVII century -maximum limit. Then it must be mission impossible. But on the continent we've had many wars and many archieves were distroyed. British islands have been preserved, it helps for genealogy. As for Nobles, they have their own personal genealogical documents, it helps too.

Theobald
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM
But on the continent we've had many wars and many archieves were distroyed.

We've even had a worse thing in France : the Revolution. Luckily enough it seems that my ancestrors did not live in areas and towns that were destroyed by revolutionaries' fury.

Waarnemer
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
Paternal grandfather - Flemish. As far as I know 100%.

Paternal grandmother - Flemish and English. And a Spanish general in the 16th century. (can trace this line back to Charles the Great)

Maternal grandfather - Dutch and German.

Maternal grandmother - Dutch.

Huzar
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 06:56 PM
We've even had a worse thing in France : the Revolution. Luckily enough it seems that my ancestrors did not live in areas and towns that were destroyed by revolutionaries' fury.

Good. Perhaps you're a descendant of who defended the Ancien Regìme ;) .........Vive le Roi !! http://tinypic.com/bi1gew.jpg:P

Weg
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 07:17 PM

For my case I don't know since I didn't make any research. Yeah they destroyed a lot of precious documents.

Huzar
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM
In my case too, is impossible go back before the mid of 1600. And my area was relatively peaceful.

Weg
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 07:26 PM
I beat you. I just go back to 1890... :D

Siegfried
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 07:34 PM
I beat you. I just go back to 1890... :D

I was able to go back to 1890 just by talking with my two grandmothers :D

Weg
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM
I was able to go back to 1890 just by talking with my two grandmothers :D

I had to make some research for that. :P And before, the birthplaces of my ancestors are unknown. :(

Theobald
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah they destroyed a lot of precious documents.

At the same time they created a strong administrative organisation though, which makes post-1789 researches easier and faster (no need to search in churches and all). But they destroyed priceless and valuable pre-1789 documents.

And my area was relatively peaceful.

Hey, we still do not know where you are from in Northern Italy. ;) :P

Good. Perhaps you're a descendant of who defended the Ancien Regìme ;)

I don't think so. Anti-Revolution revolts mostly happened in Western France (Brittany and Poitou; Chouans, Vendéens and Federalists - patriots and royalists) as well as in Languedoc (traitors who welcomed the Spaniards) and partly in Bordeaux and Provence (Federalists as well).
Anti-revolutionaries' Alsatians fled to Germany and stayed there, but the other Alsatians were then among the best soldiers - and generals - of France against foreign invasion (Kleber, Kellermann, Rapp, Schramm ...). Alsatians were over-represented in Revolutionary and Napoleonic armies (partly because they spoke German and then because Napoleon was a real myth in the conservative Alsace).
I know of at least one of my Picardian ancestrors and two of my Alsatian ancestrors who were conscripts or volunteers in French army at the time. ;)

Huzar
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 08:00 PM
Hey, we still do not know where you are from in Northern Italy. ;) :P

;)

Do you want the exact location ?!? :P (well, afterall in your profile you cite the exact city.......Strasbourg). Anyway, it's not a secret. I could tell the city if you want;)

Theobald
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Do you want the exact location ?!? :P (well, afterall in your profile you cite the exact city.......Strasbourg). Anyway, it's not a secret. I could tell the city if you want;)

I am hesitating between Lombardia and Veneto... Perhaps Piemonte (or even Trentino). Not sure. :P

Huzar
Thursday, September 1st, 2005, 09:29 PM
I am hesitating between Lombardia and Veneto... Perhaps Piemonte (or even Trentino). Not sure. :P

You've cited pratically ALL northern regions :D . However, the thing it's interesting ; what elements make you think i'm from Lombardia (or Veneto) ?

The Captain
Thursday, June 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Norwegian on both sides, back as far as I can go.

Barreldriver
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM
What's Your Genealogy? Go back as far as you can, or as far as you want. If possible list your ancestor’s birth city, meta-ethnicity, nationality, and first language. Sir names (last names) are clearly optional, that might be revealing too much information about yourself.

Ultimately I descend from the people of what has historically been called Yr Hen Ogledd. Yr Hen Ogled encompasses most of Northern England and Southern Scotland. A great portion of my ancestry hails from the regions that were within the Old North/Yr Hen Ogledd, specifically from around historical Elmet (primarily the West Riding of Yorkshire within my pedigree, and is the source of my main paternal lineage. This is proven by both paper documents and DNA testing), Ystrad Clud (Strathclyde), Bernicia (East Lothian within my pedigree), Gododdin, and Rheged. A great deal of my Scots-Irish ancestry as well has roots in Yr Hen Ogledd due to the Scots-Irish of Ulster having ancestral connections with Southern Scotland.

Blood from Yr Hen Ogledd overwhelms the statistics in my paternal family; however in my maternal family it is not as prevalent and is overshadowed by more “Germanic blood” via Germanic England, Scandinavia, Germany and the likes.

My maternal families main line is Penn. Dutch, I was not encultured by this part of the family due to my grandfather ditching out, though how Penn. Dutch my maternal grandfather was in culture I do not know since he was a halfling, half Penn. Dutch, 1/4 English (of Norse origin), and 1/4 Gaelic. My maternal grandmother is a Heinze 57 of European ethnic groups, a mix of S.W. German by her main line, Welsh, Scots-Irish (a lot of this having the same Yr Hen Ogledd roots that most of my paternal line has), English, Danish, and Swedish.

YDNA is R1b1b2; Brythonic matches.

mtDNA is H; Danish matches from North Jutland.

Nordlander
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Recently traced my familys name back to the 9th century in Prussia although my name is supposedly derived from Sweden(Norsk) who had as the Vikings settled there at the time (Jomsberg).One of the actuall original settlements bears my families name .Both sides come from Prussia except my Grandmother on my Fathers side moved from Her native Norway to East Prussia when She was little and then to the USA when She was 13

Hersir
Sunday, October 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
All my ancestors are norwegian as far as I know, but there might have been a scott relative 400 years back

Jarlsson
Wednesday, October 7th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Norwegian Norwegian Norwegian as far as I can trace;)

NormanRollo
Friday, November 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
My mother is American and accounts for most of my certain Germanic blood. She is 100% Germanic, mostly Norwegian, but also part German, danish and English.

My father is French : Norman, Walloon (which I consider French) and Breton.

My brother has been working on our genealogy for some time.
On our french side its all peasants. So he got blocked to the 1700s since finding marriage or baptism records from churches (often burnt at the revolution) becomes a little difficult before that.

On our American side, he went back to one of the first colonists, a reverend of noble blood. Thanks to his noble blood, we got to go waaaay back in genealogy, and have a huge list of some well known names.
The oldest famous person of our bloodline is Charles Martel, who appears at least 5 times (nobles married each other.. sometimes they were distant cousins, hence why he is at least 5 times my ancestor ^^).
Other famous names include Pepin the Short, Charlemagne, Rollo, William the Conqueror, John of England, Henry the 1st of France, Saint Louis IX (France), Edouard Longshanks... I didn't name some other monarchs or nobles who are less famous.
The funny thing is that these famous people of French history (Charles Martel, Charlemagne, William the conqueror..) aren't my ancestors from my French side, but from my American side!

Anyway, I like having both noble and peasant bloodlines. Makes me a descendant of the true people and of the rulers. Pretty cool :thumbup

Barreldriver
Saturday, November 28th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Ultimately I descend from the people of what has historically been called Yr Hen Ogledd. Yr Hen Ogled encompasses most of Northern England and Southern Scotland. A great portion of my ancestry hails from the regions that were within the Old North/Yr Hen Ogledd, specifically from around historical Elmet (primarily the West Riding of Yorkshire within my pedigree, and is the source of my main paternal lineage. This is proven by both paper documents and DNA testing), Ystrad Clud (Strathclyde), Bernicia (East Lothian within my pedigree), Gododdin, and Rheged. A great deal of my Scots-Irish ancestry as well has roots in Yr Hen Ogledd due to the Scots-Irish of Ulster having ancestral connections with Southern Scotland.

Blood from Yr Hen Ogledd overwhelms the statistics in my paternal family; however in my maternal family it is not as prevalent and is overshadowed by more “Germanic blood” via Germanic England, Scandinavia, Germany and the likes.

My maternal families main line is Penn. Dutch, I was not encultured by this part of the family due to my grandfather ditching out, though how Penn. Dutch my maternal grandfather was in culture I do not know since he was a halfling, half Penn. Dutch, 1/4 English (of Norse origin), and 1/4 Gaelic. My maternal grandmother is a Heinze 57 of European ethnic groups, a mix of S.W. German by her main line, Welsh, Scots-Irish (a lot of this having the same Yr Hen Ogledd roots that most of my paternal line has), English, Danish, and Swedish.

YDNA is R1b1b2; Brythonic matches.

mtDNA is H; Danish matches from North Jutland.

I've got some updates on my genealogy, as it stands my proportions are 7/8ths British Isle's derived and 1/8th Continental European (This Continental blood being largely Germanophone and Swedish).

My Y-DNA of R1b1b2 is yielding more matches of English origin with subclade R1b1b2a1a, I am saving up for a deep clade test to confirm.

My mtDNA of H came to me via Sweden, a Swedish woman who married a German Mennonite.

Daniel Tiemeyer
Saturday, November 28th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Frisian on both sides. Fathers ancestry from Ostfriesland and Mothers family Ostfriesland and Niederland 'Fryslan'. Even both grandmothers maiden names are frisian and oral tradition tell me of solid frisian stock.

I get the impression that they are somewhat sensitive to cultural purity.

Barreldriver
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I found that almost all of my Germanophone ancestors were Mennonites. :P Interesting, seems that part of my family became generic protestants somewhere in the early 1900's.

Angus
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
My grandpa and i have been able to trace our roots to the Vikings who inter-married with the Picts and our Surname / Clan is of Norman roots.

rainman
Sunday, January 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Let's see: primarily British (English, Irish, Scotch), then secondly: Dutch, German, and French. Small amount of Jew and Native American. Most of the ancestry seems to trace back to Vikings at its root. A lot of the English lines all seem to go back to Norman roots for some reason, which itself traces to Norwegian Vikings ultimately. I can't say I know much about the exact regions and such of my German ancestry and such.

OneWolf
Sunday, January 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Okay the Baker's are supposedly Amish.There is a place in Missouri in Wright County called Baker Creek Amish Store.That land was my Great Great Grandpa's.
He had a store and it burnt down and killed three of his kids and the Amish sent him a mute young wife from Pennsylvania named Katie Hoffman Rhodes.That was my Great Grandpa's mom.When I trace my name back I come to a dead end.My father told me my last name was changed from Becker to Baker.If I had a pic of my dad you would see he looks so German.He is Faelid with a square head,blondish-red hair.My dads mom maiden name was Deatherage.She was of Norwegian descent.My moms last name is Horton.They are English.She is from the Issac Horton line. He was a Revolutionary War vet.He came from London,England with a friend.They snuck aboard a ship headed to America because his parents did not want him to go because he was set to inherit a manor and title.My mom's mom surname is Blankenship.It was Blankensoff but it was changed.I have read that it is Norman and comes from Northumbria and there is a castle their called Blankensoff Castle.:thumbup

Godfrey
Friday, February 12th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Paternal grandfather - Irish
Paternal grandmother - English, Scottish

Maternal grandfather - English, Irish
Maternal grandmother - English, with some Norman heritage (Norman surname)

I have the most common ethnic heritage in my country..... for now

Aasta
Friday, February 12th, 2010, 02:30 AM
100% Norwegian

Family "hails" from Hedmark, Oslo and Stavanger . . .

Barreldriver
Saturday, March 13th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I'll simplify mine.

Paternally - Cohee

Maternally - Deitsch + Yankee

Kinship + Descent = I've been trying to take a more etic perspective when observing my family and the concept of kinship and descent seems to be more alike to the clan ways rather than a true patriarchy. It's quite odd, the patriarchy survives in the surname trend and with the emphasis on paternal respect however when observing the kingroup as a whole we are more like a clan, and I found old diaries and writings from back in the day describing such things back during the Reconstruction period.

Loyalist
Thursday, April 15th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Paternal grandfather: Predominantly Scottish through his father's side, with more distant French and German roots. His mother's father was of New Netherlands Dutch, German, French Huguenot, and Norwegian descent, while her mother was an Irish Potato Famine refugee.

Paternal grandmother: Fully English, having been born in a small town in Shropshire. Both parents originally have roots in Yorkshire, however.

Maternal grandfather: Fully Ulster-Scottish, his grandparents having emigrated to Canada from County Monaghan. All surnames in the family are of Lowland Scottish and English origin.

Maternal grandmother: A true Colonial of Welsh, English, Scottish, and German descent. Her first ancestors in North America arrived in the Colonies from England and Wales in the 17th century, while her last immigrant forbears were Germans and Scots who settled in Pennsylvania and North Carolina, respectively, in the 18th century.

To sum it up, I am of predominantly British Isles descent, with the rest being a mixture of continental Germanic. In turn, my lineage is about equally split between those of Colonial (17th/18th century) stock, and more recent European (19th/20th century) arrivals.

Barreldriver
Thursday, April 15th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I'll simplify mine.

Paternally - Cohee

Maternally - Deitsch + Yankee

Kinship + Descent = I've been trying to take a more etic perspective when observing my family and the concept of kinship and descent seems to be more alike to the clan ways rather than a true patriarchy. It's quite odd, the patriarchy survives in the surname trend and with the emphasis on paternal respect however when observing the kingroup as a whole we are more like a clan, and I found old diaries and writings from back in the day describing such things back during the Reconstruction period.

Forgot to mention my English-Canadian ancestry in my paternal ancestry, 19th century immigrants from Southern England to Ontario then to the U.S.

Lothar
Thursday, April 15th, 2010, 05:32 PM
From right to left I present my fathers side of the family great Grandfather Karl and Great Grandmother Mother Maria my Grandfather Edward& my father Lothar, and Grandmother Maria.
My mother June and her father Rolf ,and her mother Doris and my great Grandfather Leaf.
A picture of my aunt, brother and me at 4, plus a school picture of me at 12
A brief genealogy of my German/Norwegian heritage.

Schlosser
Friday, April 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Paternal Grandfather: Purely Swiss (from the canton Graubunden)

Paternal Grandmother: German (Pennsylvania Dutch), and English

Maternal Grandfather: Norwegian (from Trondelag/Trondhiem area) and English

Maternal Grandmother: Swedish, Finnish, Sami (From Finland)

BaloghGábor
Thursday, June 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hungarian, with German origin

Erich S
Friday, June 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM
My family names:
Heidenreich
Schaefer
Becker
Fischer
Kimmich
Fitzgerald
Heburn

VikingManx
Saturday, June 12th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Paternal line comes from the Isle of Man, apparently we are of Norse descent (not surprisingly) due to our YDNA (I1).

Rest of dad's side mostly northern/midlands English and Lowland/Ulster Scot descent.

Mom's people are wholly English on her father's side and Irish/Welsh/English/Scottish/Norse on her mother's side.

One single strand of French on that side too, come to find out.

Family surnames:

Looney
Hale
Taylor
McKinney
Pace
Roberson
Badgett
Graham

etc etc with 90 percent of the rest being English in origin.

All (far as we can tell) trails of my family tree lead to the late 1600's and early to mid 1700s Virginia.

Founding. Stock. :)

grover
Saturday, June 12th, 2010, 04:11 AM
yDNA is I1, probably Anglo Saxon. Closest yDNA matches are Southern Germany, Northern Switzerland. Paternal grandmother is 100% German. Maternal grandfather is 100% German. I am mostly Anglo Saxon with some Celtic.

Family names
Hoffman
Fleck
Bausch
Kutzer
Miller
Kientz
Firman
Richmond
Pierce
Lewis

Bodo
Sunday, June 13th, 2010, 12:08 AM
My paternal line is traced to 1701 in Upper Austria.
Maternal goes to 1510 in Wittgensteinerland region of the Rhineland, Germany.
Some readers have questioned how this type of information is known. The internet makes it all possible. There are sites one can go to and, with luck, find that an unknown relative has done all your work for you. Family trees were once researched by old-maids in dusty church and library records, but now this information is going on the internet.
In my mother's family, they lived in a remote area where the church records were intact. A Google search revealed a website where someone had collected it all. ( It helps to have a rare surname.)
My wife has royal ties because she had an ancestor in early New England, where good records were kept...1 g-g-grandparent, out of 16, connects her to nearly every royal in Europe prior to Edward III of England. ( Who has million of descendants).
Various sites state that probably 100 million Americans are descended from 5000-8000 immigrants to New England from 1630-50. Her earliest American ancestor came here as an indentured servant, but there was royal blood there.
Of course, it is estimated that perhaps 75% of Britain descends from William the Conqueror.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but it is a fascinating subject to me, and perhaps it will answer some questions and spur some research from some who read it.

Jkloster
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
On both sides I am Norwegian. Though there is a slight possibility of having either Irish or Scottish thrown in there somewhere from one of my 26th great grandparents.

Here is a small list of some of my families surnames.

ANDRISDATTER
ASBJØRNSDATTER
ASLESDATTER
ASLESON
AUDUNSDATTER
AUDUNSON
AUSTREIM
BELSHEIM

CHRISTOFFERSDATTER
CHRISTOFFERSEN
DAL
DUGALSDATTER
ERAACKER
ERAKER
ERI
ERIKSON
FINNE
FOLDERUP
GARSTAD
GRIHAMAR
GRØV
GUTTORMSON
HÅKONSDATTER
HAMSINGHAUGEN
HATLEBERG
HEGG
HELLE
HEMSING
HEMSINGHAUGEN
HERMUNDSTAD
HØVE
HUSUM
JEVNE
JOGRIMSDATTER
JOHNSEN
KATTEVOLD
KJERSTEIN
KJØS
KNUTSDATTER
KNUTSEN
KOLBJØRNSON
KVÅLE
KVAM
KVIEN
KYRAUGA
LEINE
LEIROL
LIEN
LOKREIM
LOSNA
LUNDE
MIDTLO
MURE
MYRE
NEFSTAD
NORDLAND
OLAVSEN
OLDRE
OSLAND
PÅ SÆBU
PÅ TOM
PÅVALEN
REMME
REMMISBREKKUN
ROERSEN
SÆBU
SCHYTTE
SEMELENG
SEMELENGE
SIGURDSDATTER
SKIDOR
SKJØRE
SMID
STEINDE
STELE
STRAND,
TORSDATTER
TVEIT
ULFHEDINSØN
ULFREKSON
URDAHL
UVDAL
VEE
VOLL
WILLUMSEN

Barreldriver
Sunday, June 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I made an additional discovery, I've further traced my paternal lineage to Patrington in the East Riding of Yorkshire, c.1573. Seems the kin moved from Patrington to Hatfield then Stainforth back to Hatfield then to Whitgift then to the Colonies.

MotivationMan
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'm afraid I am one of those who truthfully doesn't know their ancestry. I have an idea but I don't know for sure.

The surnames of my four grandparents are Kephart, Moore, Styles, and Pace. I can pretty much place every one except Kephart.

Pictus
Wednesday, July 7th, 2010, 08:39 PM
My haplogroup is R1b1b2, and according to Family Tree DNA and Y-Search, nearly all of my matches are from the British Isles, more precisely from Celtic countries, with some English throw to the mix.

My mother side is non-Germanic, of Greek descent.

Fyrgenholt
Saturday, August 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately I don't know my ancestry aside from a maternal 7 generations which I don't currently have to hand and isn't all that interesting anyway, not moving at all away from the north-west of England. That being said I can give some indication:

Paternal Grandfather: North English
Paternal Grandmother: North English (with some known Irish ancestry)

Maternal Grandfather: Welsh born English (with some known Scottish ancestry)
Maternal Grandmother: North English (with rumoured, very distant, and largely insignificant, Saxon ancestry)

Not going to post my surname ;) but the surnames in my family tree that I can remember from the top of my head include Watson, Coulthard, Pritchard, Mar. I rememer these particular names due to their being relatively unusual (Watson excluded). Interestingly, they're all considered borderland English/Scottish names, linguistically Germanic, indicating my primarily northern English ancestry.

theTasmanian
Sunday, August 8th, 2010, 04:40 AM
A work still in progress

Paternal

Grand father-Prussian/Old Prussian
he is a very hard man to trace the polish(and German so far) government/military and catholic church have no records of him....we only have a "so called" POW disk yet to trace

Grand mother-German-schleswig holstein-1765 for the paper work i have but the Brackers had been there a Very long time
her Mothers side Dammann's date back to Danish royalty "DanneBrogmann" comes up my brother is most interested it this side and updates me when he finds things

Father & uncle born in Hademarschen Germany

Maternal-Oh yippy dont you just love family "arguments" :D

Mother -Scottish/English

Hutcheson Part(sept) of Clan McDonald - Inverness Scotland area
apparently there is Danish very early on(nothing on paper) and they married into the English side and are some how related to the Queen mother

Simcox(sp?) Grand mother

Both side came out to Australia in the late 1940's with my Aunty being the first of the Paternal born in Australia

Angus
Sunday, August 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Family names:

Lyon /Lyons. (actually appears acouple of times on both sides of the family)
Schöpfer
Redpath
Gibson
Farquharson
Hays
Miller
Powers (cousins)
Cox

Schubert
Monday, August 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
My mother's side has been traced to pre-1000. Of course not every direct relative, but most. She's mostly French-Swiss and Celtic (this side did a lot of migrating, originating in Scandinavia, and eventually settling in Ireland. I just consider it Celtic because the family had interbred with Celts for hundreds of years.)

I'll leave out my particular surname (though it is a common English surname).

Flournoy (Frankish)
Hunt (English)
Burke (Irish)
Volpe (Italian)
Montandon (Swiss)

I know, not wholly Germanic. But if I were to calculate percentages, I would be more Germanic than other.

Northern Paladin
Saturday, August 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
mostly German on my mother's side, but also a little Lithuanian from my maternal grandmother.

on my father's side Scottish

Barreldriver
Thursday, August 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
This is a list of surnames going back 5 generations. Beside the surnames I listed the place of origin, the place of origin being where I have farthest traced the lineage back to, some of the lines have not been traced outside of the U.S. but are listed as "White" on the U.S. Census. The numbers of such instances has increased as some of the relations I thought I had were mistakes in my research. The bold faced is my patrilinear lineage.

Brigham Blacktoft, Yorkshire, England
Burgess Wake County, North Carolina
Cleveland Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Clough Walsham le willows, Suffolk, England (19th Century immigrant lineage)
Cook Indiana, United States
Dial Overton County, Tennessee, United States
Downey Pennsylvania, United States
Ferrill Overton County, Tennessee, United States
Headlee/Headley Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
Kuehn/Keen Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Lickman Hurstbourne Priors, Hampshire, England (19th Century immigrant lineage)
Liddle County Tyrone, Ulster (immigrated during the second Potato Famine)
Lindsay Andover, Hampshire, England (19th Century immigrant lineage)
Lott Isle of Wight County, Virginia
Malson Pennsylvania, United States
Mattox Rocky Mount, Virginia
McCormick Scrabby Hill, County Cavan, Ireland
Mueller/Miller Zollikofen, Switzerland
Neal Ballynacree, County Antrim, Ulster
Nelson Scotland
Pass Pennsylvania, United States
Payette Walsham le willows, Suffolk, England (19th Century immigrant lineage, name variants Pyett, Piett, Piatt, Piott)
Pierce Carter County, Tennessee, United States
Reeder/Reader Whitgift, Yorkshire, England
Rex Germany
Rupert Kraichgau, Germany
Smith Richmond, Virginia
Tresler Massenbach, Germany
Viehdorfer Germany (19th Century immigrant lineage)
White Loudon, Virginia
Willis Amelia County, Virginia

Loyalist
Thursday, August 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Following Cadwallon's lead, these are my family's surnames going back four generations. I have included ethnic origin and place of origin, if known.

* denotes Colonial (17th and 18th century immigrant) line. The rest arrived in Canada in the 19th or 20th centuries.

Clark - Scottish
Cooper - Scottish
*Davis - Welsh
Duffield - English (Helmsley, Yorkshire, England)
Duncan - Scottish (Perth, Scotland)
Edwards - English (Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England)
Finnegan - Irish
*Griffin - Welsh (Walton, Pembrokeshire, Wales)
Newsome - English (Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England)
Pue - Ulster-Scottish (Monaghan, Ulster, Ireland)
Reynolds - Ulster-Scottish (Cavan, Ulster, Ireland)
*Schneider - German
Somerville - Ulster-Scottish (Monaghan, Ulster, Ireland)
*St. John - English (Bishopsgate, London, England)
*Vollick (simplified from "van Valkenburg") - Dutch (Valkenburg aan de Geul, Limburg, the Netherlands)
Wright - Ulster-Scottish (Cavan, Ulster, Ireland)

David
Friday, August 20th, 2010, 01:48 AM
My Dad has worked off and on since the 1960s on our geneology.

Father's side - German from Palatinate, Germany
*Getz, Lotz, Graul, Yearick, Kline to name a few

My Lotz line connects to Krzze which had chartered a professional to document that line. In that line, I am related to two 12th Century German-Austrian knights.

Mother's side - Irish from Galway, Ireland who apparently originated in France
*Burk

Hamar Fox
Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
These are all the surnames in my ancestry that I know of (I've put the ethnic/regional origin of the surname next to each one):

Allen -- English
Ankers -- English, Cheshire
Barber -- English
Bates -- English
Boothroide -- English, Yorkshire
Borrett -- English, Norfolk
Bramah -- English, Yorkshire
Brooke -- English, Yorkshire
Brotherton -- English, in my case probably Yorkshire
Bucktrout -- English, Yorkshire
Butler -- English
Clayton -- English, Yorkshire
Davis -- English
Day -- English, Northern
Denton -- English, in my case probably Yorkshire
Dibb -- English, Yorkshire
Fox -- English
Ganly -- Irish Midlands
Gledhill -- English, Yorkshire
Grave -- English, Cumbria
Griffiths -- Welsh
Hall -- English
Handley -- English
Hardy -- English
Hart -- English
Holmes -- English, mainly Yorkshire
Hopwood -- English, Lancashire
Illingsworth -- English, Yorkshire
Keighley -- English, Yorkshire
Lancaster -- English, Lancashire
Langster -- Rare name. Probably English
Leach -- English
Long -- English
Lyon -- English
Marsden -- English, Yorkshire
Peace -- English, Yorkshire
Potter -- English
Prince -- English, mainly Yorkshire
Pryer -- English, mainly Southern
Sutton -- English
Ray -- English
Renor -- English, Yorkshire (probably old variant of Reynor)
Reynolds -- English, mainly Southern (from Norfolk ancestor)
Robinson -- English, Northern
Sanderson -- English, Northern
Saville -- English, Yorkshire (ultimately Norman)
Simpson -- English, Northern
Scott -- Northern English/Scottish
Shooter -- English, Yorkshire
Smith -- English
Spivey -- English, Yorkshire
Spurling -- English, Norfolk
Stephenson -- English, Northern
Stoddart -- English, Northumbria
Stones -- English, mainly Yorkshire
Terry -- English
Tiernan -- Irish midlands
Tingle -- English, Yorkshire
Trever -- Not sure, maybe Welsh
Turner (x2) -- English (found in two unrelated lineages, one North Yorkshire, one Norfolkian)
Wild -- English, Northern
Willis -- English

My paternal grandfather: Northern English surname. Least researched grandparent. Middlesbrough born. Mainly Durham/North Yorkshire border ancestry. Some Cheshire on his mother's side.

Paternal grandmother: Generic English surname. Middlesbrough born. Half English, half Irish. Durham/North Yorkshire border ancestry on father's side, Irish midlands (County Westmeath) on mother's side.

Maternal grandfather: Lancashire surname. Bradford born. Ancestry is rooted in Bradford, but is 1/4 Norfolkian on his mother's side, and has some deep rooted Cumbrian (Keswick) on his paternal gradmother's side.

Maternal grandmother: Very Yorkshire surname. Barnsley born. Very Yorkshire ancestry. All four ridings in her blood. Some lineages can be traced back to 1515 Dewsbury. Has negligible ancestry in Lincolnshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire.

Thorwolf
Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Greetings all,
My name is Michael Lingo,and I am a direct decendant of the royal lines of most northern European countrys!

My family lines have been traced to 995 c.e. by an uncle, and I have traced them back much further than most would beleive.

I am a decendant of Harold "fair hair" Halfdansson, First King of all Norway, and every norse king to Harold "Hardrada" Sigurdsson.

I am a direct decendant of the Norman Kings of England[many times decended from William "the conquerer"] every Norman/English King to Edward III.

I am a direct decendant of the Saxon Kings of England[Wessex, Kent,East Anglia,Mercia]

I am a direct decendant of the Kings of Leinster, Ireland all the way to Dermot Mc Murrough.[131 High kings of Ireland, including Brian Boru]

I am A direct decendant of the Norse Earls of Orkney[many times decended from Rongvald "the wise" Eyesteinsson]

as I mentioned earlier I am a direct decendant of the Norman Nobility[at least two times from Hrolf " the walker" Rongvaldsson]

In more recent times My family is about 7/8 Norman , with English and Irish on my moms side. On my fathers side We are Norman, Anglo/Saxon, Irish/Scotish

P.S. I can prove all of this!

Barreldriver
Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 06:55 PM
One thing I found interesting in my genealogy are my Mullins ancestors. The claim was that they were Huguenot French who settled in Virginia with the British and were considered free subjects of the British Crown in that respect and listed as such on tax lists etc... but when the Y-DNA of a few of my cousins of this lineage was done they came back as R-M222 an Irish haplogroup found among the lineage of Nial of the Nine Hostages.

I am wondering if anyone here knows of any medieval Irish movements into France that could explain how a Huguenot family with a French name came to have Irish Y-DNA.

nordfrisk
Sunday, August 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I am mostly from the regions of frisia and scandinavia. my ancestors lived all around the north coast of the netherlands, germany, denmark, and the south of norway. I have scando-friso ancestors, however mostly frisian. list of my surnames:

-Gunnarsen
-Knutzen
-Woldsen
-Nilssen
-Klaussen

Roemertreu
Monday, August 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I've not quite been so successful in tracing back my family lines, but I think I have a few that might be interesting.

Dad's side:

Klokenbrink
Werries
Reichley
Hanson

Both the Reichleys and Werries seem to have been knights of some sort. I've seen the coat of arms for both. Reichleys have a raven on a shield, and Werries have a beaver on a red/yellow checked shield. I don't know what that means exactly. Just sorta interesting.

Mom's side:
Radloff -- I can't find much on him, he was adopted by the Woods family, and later took their name.
Brady -- From County Cavan Ireland. I did a search on the family name, and it seems that there were many priests in this line.
Hughes -- According to the family story as told by Cathrine Hughes, he's Irish. But he's from Edinburgh. And from talking to people more knowledgeable than me, it seems that the family name "Hughs" may actually be Welsh.
Swark -- not much known other than he's a German. Appaerently caused a hubbub because he wasn't Polish and Great Grandma was supposed to marry a Polish boy.
Barenek -- they come from a part of Europe that changed from Germany to Poland and back several times. They spoke polish and considered themselves Polish, but it's hard to say. They could be anything at thins point.

Barreldriver
Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Updated/amended list. The bold faced is my patrilinear lineage, I am missing one surname, t's the maiden name of the spouse of my Viehdorfer lineage, the Veihdorfer's were 19th Century German immigrants who settled in the same area as my Deitsch ancestors and they just mingled:

Burgess - Wake County, North Carolina
Cleveland -Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Clough - Walsham le willows, Suffolk, England (19th Century immigrant lineage)
Cook - Indiana, United States
Dial - Overton County, Tennessee, United States
Downey - Pennsylvania, United States
Ferrill - Overton County, Tennessee, United States
Headlee/Headley - Fairfield, Connecticut, United States, Origins in Northumberland, England are not fully understood/researched.
Keen – Belfast, Maine
Kuehn/Keen - Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Lickman - Hurstbourne Priors, Hampshire, England (19th Century immigrant lineage)
Liddle - County Tyrone, Ulster (immigrated during the second Potato Famine)
Lindsay -Andover, Hampshire, England (19th Century immigrant lineage)
Lott - Isle of Wight County, Virginia
Malson - Pennsylvania, United States
Mattox - Rocky Mount, Virginia
McCormick -Scrabby Hill, County Cavan, Ireland
Mueller/Miller - Zollikofen, Switzerland
Neal - Ballynacree, County Antrim, Ulster
Nelson - Scotland
Pass - Pennsylvania, United States
Payette - Walsham le willows, Suffolk, England (19th Century immigrant lineage, name variants Pyett, Piett, Piatt, Piott)
Pierce - Carter County, Tennessee, United States
Reeder - Whitgift, Yorkshire, England
Rex - Germany
Rupert - Kraichgau, Germany
Smith - Richmond, Virginia
Tresler - Massenbach, Germany
Viehdorfer - Germany (19th Century immigrant lineage)
White - Loudon, Virginia
Willis - Amelia County, Virginia

Jarlsson
Sunday, September 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Norse pretty much. Mostly form Western Norway - but also possibly some East Norwegian aswell.

Wolfia
Thursday, November 18th, 2010, 06:38 PM
My father is into the family history (so we have a very long family tree to the 17th century) and discovered that we have aristocratic ancestors. Some "von Fürstenmühls" and even our family crest.

Guntwachar
Thursday, November 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I have mainly Dutch, Frisian, German, & English blood with Scottish, Swedish, Danish & Norman blood further back.

I also have some aristocratic ancestors, most of them from Germany & the Netherlands.
Here are some names:

Von Atteln
Heyndriksen
Sonnenburg
von Behr
Von Zuhmen
Kriekaard
Geensen

Zimobog
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I found out today about a few of my ancestors: Johann Ludwig Schuhmann married to a Kristina Pfaff, the maternal grandparents of my great grandfather on my mother's father's side. They were from Reichenbach, Hessen. That side of the family also contained the family name of Maria Barbra Ruhl, daughter of Ludwig and Margret Ruhl of Hessen.

My family tree is looking to have branches from all over Germany: Bavaria, Hessen, and Silesia.

As I learn more, I will post it!:)

Sybren
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM
See for yourself ;)

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1714/ancestorchart.jpg

Currently our family tree has 1572 persons in it, showing all of them would make a very messy and large image, so i chose to keep it simple by showing 6 generations.

By far, most of my ancestry is Frisian, and a smaller part is Saxon, coming from Dutch provinces as Groningen, Drenthe, Overijssel and area's in northwestern Germany. I also have some very small Frankish ancestry. My paternal familyname comes from Germany, but is Dutch-i-fied. I have blurred some persons names out who are alive today, except for mine.

The person in my avatar depicts Magnus Forteman, one of my oldest known ancestors, namely my 35th generation grandfather. Although of course he is probably the ancestor of hundreds of thousands of Frisians. I just happen to have "proof" for it ;)

Collie Dog
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
For those with British sounding surnames in their lineage this Database may be of some help. My maternal grandmother's family name (Breckon) for instance shows a concentrated node in the Yorkshire area - the name is thought to be of Danish viking origin.

http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

Zimobog
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 04:25 PM
^ Yes, Jorvik was the Danish name for York. It was an extremely important city in those times.

Granraude
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Norse name thank you very much.

Jorvik had several Norwegian rulers as well.

Plantagenet
Monday, March 7th, 2011, 06:23 PM
My family is pretty big into the whole genealogy thing, so my tree has grown to be fairly large (upwards of 3000 discovered, albeit not without some inaccuracies that need cleaning up.) The main surnames in my family are--

Carr (my surname, a surname of English Border Reiver origin)
Frey
Lucas
Hughes
Miller
Green
Hazen
Greib
Durcholz
Leek
Hopkins
Degnan
Cobb
Cooke
Geist
Ihls
Buckalew
Ralph
Shinn

The vast majority of these are trace back to England. Frey, Greib, and Durcholz all go back to Germany, with the first two being from Northern Germany (Prussia) and the last from Rechtenbach in Lower Franconia.The only non-English or German surnames I've found in my tree are Degnan, from Northern Ireland, and in the not too distant past (early 18th and 17th century) many Dutch surnames as well as two Huguenots.

I am related to some famous individuals and some not so famous individuals who are still pretty interesting. Among them are--

-Francis Cooke of the Mayflower

-Stephen Hopkins of the Mayflower (who Shakespeare modeled Stephano of the Tempest after)

-Damarius Hopkins of the Mayflower

-Edward Winslow of the Mayflower and governor of Plymouth Colony

-Josiah Winslow governor of Plymouth Colony

-John 'the Great' Mathis, the most significant figure in the history of Bass River Township, NJ and the first white settler of the area, financier of the revolution, and richest man in the area for over 50 years.

-Daniel Leeds, an influential man in the early history of NJ, astrologist, geomancer, Neo-platonist, creator of the first almanac ever published in NJ/PA, and a signer of the forerunner of our Bill of Rights-The Concessions and Agreements of the Proprietors, Freeholders and Inhabitants of West Jersey in 1676

-Edmund Beaupre, owner of Beaupre Hall, through whom my ancestry traces to Norman times

-the Neville family of England, through whom my ancestry includes John of Gaunt, Edward III, and a large amount of medieval European royalty/nobility tracing back to William the Conqueror, various Vikings, and Charlemagne.

My ancestry also includes various Civil War, War of 1812, Revolutionary War, and early Indian wars veterans. Most of this has been confirmed by the Mayflower Society and the Sons/Daughters of the American Revolution.

Rocky v
Tuesday, March 8th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Mom-born in Klenak, Serbia.

Dad - born in Wuestenhausen, Germany

Maternal Grandmother-born in Irig, Austria-Hungary. Her ancestors lived in Vojvodina for about 200 years. Before that they came from Hesse.

Maternal Grandfather-born in Putinci, Austria-Hungary. His ancestors also lived in Vojvodina for about 200 years. Previously they came from the Black Forest region.

Paternal grandmother- born in Untergruppenbach, Germany. My father says they were there a long time because for generations they owned a tavern. They probably came to Untergruppenbach in the 1500s from Straussbourg.

Paternal Grandfather-born in Wuestenhausen, Germany.

Paternal great Grandfather-orphan-found near Kaisersbach, Germany. Believe previous attempts to trace lines have been unsuccessful.

I am a beginner at genealogy and think this site is fascinating and look forward to researching more.

Zimobog
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I am learning today of my Dutch ancestory. My 10th great-grandfather was Lubbert Lubbertsz Westervelt from Stappechut, Overijssel, Netherlands. Born in 1649, he emmigrated to New Jersey in America and died in 1695.

Unkown to me before now, I have many Netherlanders in my pedigree who came to America and settled in New York in what today is Harlem before going to Kentucky many years later.

beowulf wodenson
Thursday, March 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
My ancestors have lived in this region of Kentucky since the early 1800's, the pioneer settlement, etc.
Probably about 95 + percent of my recorded genealogy originates in England.
As no doubt posted before, my direct paternal line has been traced back to an Englishman named William living in London in the late 1500's. One of his sons was an early settler of Virginia, arriving in Jamestown colony in 1622, and this son was my 10th great-grandfather.
Much of my traced ancestry seems to have been derived from the Midlands and east of England, all the way from Northhamptonshire, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, down into Essex.
A few lines seem to have come from the southwest of Germany: the Rhineland Palitinate, Wurrtemburg.
On my mom's side a good bit of Gaelic Irish Catholic families, i.e. Nalleys, O'Learys, McBrides, etc.
My oldest traced ancestor is one Murdach of Lennox born about 1050 C.E. around Loch Lomond, a Gaelic Scots landowner whose grandson married the daughter of an Anglo-Dane named Arkil and produced the line of my paternal 3rd great-grandmother.

MountainGuardian
Monday, March 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
My family goes back to one William LeLongue, a noble Preux Normandy who accompanied William the conquerer to England.. Longue Sur Mer is the name of a town on the coast of Normandy where the ships would depart for against England, Ireland and Scotland. It is presume that my forefather was from Longue and took that as his surname.... Longue in Viking simply means Long.

My family took the name of Long and my direct line goes back to the Longs of Wiltshire who were given lands and titles. The Long family has produced more than 70 members of parliament in England in their 1,000 yr history there. At one time there were 13 members of the Long family in parliament at one time.

My grandfather Roy Orville Long and his brothers were the last direct descendants to the Wiltshire estates in the late 40s and inherited it, apparently none of them were willing to give up there farms here and move to England and refused the estate. My aunt Donna still has the pictures they were sent regarding the estate. I have to admit I would never give up our ranch to move to England either so I guess they were not much different than I in that respect. Here in the US I have been able to trace back to great great grandfather William Long born 1832, his youngest son was my great grandfather named William Sherman Long born 1872. My grandfather died when I was young so I have no way of finding the direct link from our family here back to England, which he apparently knew because he wrote and talked to our family in England on a regular basis. No one else my family seemed to feel it was important to know any of this... too bad... you should know who and where you are from and pass it down... if nothing else it is quite fascinating....

Steinbrugge
Monday, March 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
My direct Family line can be traced back to the west country of England as far as the 1200`s, prior to that, the family name was present in one form or another in England as far back as the 7th century and before that it was known in its germanic form and was present in what is now Belgium where it had migrated from Saxony..
Sure helps to find this stuff out when your name is slightly unusual;) genealogy must be a nightmare for people with more usual names:(

Sybren
Thursday, March 24th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I've found a link today between my ancestors and the actual kings of Friesland. I added them in the familytree, here you can see the lineage from an old Frisian king to myself:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4619/98280832.jpg

The king on top is born in januari of 359 AD. Sadly, there are some persons whose existence could be either real or myth. Generally it is understood some of the kings have lived and are really the ancestors of the people in this picture, but sometimes the order and exact connections are unclear.
The list goes on even a lot longer until the supposed forefather and king of all Frisians: King Adel I Friso, hence the name 'Frisians' (and whose brother 'Saxo' by the way would be the forefather of the Saxons). But there were so much uncertainties and gaps in there, that i don't think it should be considered as actual truth.

Still, very interesting of course! Things like these really make me feel how important it is to preserve ones heritage :) If people just knew how interesting our past is and therefore didn't became idiotic cultureless selfhating anti-Germanicists :(

Melisande
Thursday, March 24th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Really cool genealogy, Sybren. Frisians are part of the early distribution of the alleles for blue eyes, which is interesting (by 300 A.D., blue eyes would have been well established or, most likely, completely universal in Frisia).

Melisande
Thursday, March 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I have my genealogy (reliably) back to 600 A.D. or so, and on multiple lines. There are bunch of genealogists in my family (and have been, for a few generations). One notable (more recent) ancestor was the Rev. Dr. Rowland Taylor - who is a common ancestor to both myself and Elizabeth Taylor (as well as to Brad Pitt and Pretty Boy Floyd, and a couple of U.S. presidents).

He was burnt at the stake (sort of) by Queen Mary; just as they were about to light the fire, one of the guards took pity on him and cleaved his head open, so that he really didn't have to burn to death.

Sybren
Friday, March 25th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Really cool genealogy, Sybren. Frisians are part of the early distribution of the alleles for blue eyes, which is interesting (by 300 A.D., blue eyes would have been well established or, most likely, completely universal in Frisia).
Well, i myself have mixed brown/green eyes ;)

But most have blue in the family.

I thought blue eyes (and blonde hair) came from Baltid types originally?

Melisande
Friday, March 25th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I don't think any anthropologist would use the term "Baltid" type - and it's geneticists who have located the alleles and studied their variations. All that is known is that the dead epicenter of blue-eyedness is Pskov, from when the mutations spread first around the coastline (both directions) and then inland (though not particularly far until around 1000-1500 BCE).

As more and more bodies from the past are studied (for whatever reason they come to be studied - often because cemeteries are moved), we'll know more.

The various genome projects need more saliva samples, too.

Sybren
Sunday, April 17th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Just found out i am a direct descendant of the parents of Frisian folk hero Grutte Pier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia) :D

Via Grutte Pier's sister Tiedt:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2258/gerlofpiersdonia.jpg

The person on top is the father of Grutte Pier. Grutte Pier's real name was Pier Gerlofs Donia. Depiction of Grutte Pier:

http://www.nederob.nl/wp-content/2009/11/grutte_pier_0567.jpg

Zimobog
Sunday, April 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
That's really cool! :)
I also like how you are named after your grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great grandfather!

Sybren
Sunday, April 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
That's really cool! :)
I also like how you are named after your grandfather, great-grandfather, and great-great grandfather!
It goes on further at least 2 more times with my forename :) And every single time there's a generation in between :P

By the way, are there any Germans here who live in the area of Schüttorf? My paternal lineage (Steen) comes from around there. The name is Dutch-i-fied i guess when they came to Friesland in the early 1800's, but i don't know how the name was spelled in Germany. I also cannot find a thing on the internet about people named like that around Schüttorf nowadays and in the past, but i know they come from around there somewhere. Some more German names from my ancestry from that side: Welingh, Stelwagen, Fischer.

Meadhbh
Monday, April 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Cornwall, England, Ireland, Mann, Scotland, and Wales with the odd person thrown in from further afield for good measure. So its a mix of celtic, norman, pictish, roman and saxon people. Thus far, I've not finished it so I may have to come back and add or take away from the list.

kiragun
Sunday, May 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
The earliest i've traced to are the first kings of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Kvenland (Finland), Kievan Rus, Spain, Portugal, Merovingian Franks, Lombard Italians and Polish, etc...

Everyone in my mum's family has strong blue eyes, except me, mine are more grey blue. My maternal grandpa has the most royal/noble ancestry and he is most recently Scottish, Basque and Welsh ancestry.

My maternal grandma is Orcadian Scottish, Cornish and Latvian. Her and my grandpa have common Scandinavian/Slavic royal ancestry about 650 years ago o_O

My paternal side is from Faroe Islands, Iceland and Belgium (adopted, not really counted). My dad had medium brown hair and a red beard and light blue eyes, but he was not tall lol...

Both of my parents had Rhesus Negative blood. Is that enough info...? :D

Wuotans Krieger
Saturday, November 24th, 2018, 03:59 PM

The earliest I can trace my ancestry is via a line of Gothic kings back to Gapt/Gautr/Odin. All via minor Gentry in Lancashire. I am also descended from Corbett Gentry in Shropshire but I need to develop this line further, The rest of my English ancestry is mainly from the Yeomanry class which rank just below the Gentry. My German ancestry is at the moment a closed book and I cannot go further back than my maternal grandparents. My daughter via her mother is descended from Odin/Woden via the Volsungas and the House of Wessex.