PDA

View Full Version : What is the value of evolution?

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2005, 03:17 AM
I have lately come to question the value of evolution. Will there be any eventual benefit from racial specialization or should unspecialized types be allowed to breed because there are more versatile in respects to combating outside threats?

This seems to contradict the entire history of humanity. We have adapted to our local environments, and have evolved in different directions. Do modern conditions require we retrogress to a more underspecialized state? Will there be any positive end results of local specialization and adaptative changes? I would like to here peoples' opinions on this topic.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2005, 07:20 AM
There are specific adaptations and then there are general adaptations. A specific adaptation would be the sickel cell thing among blacks, for instance, or the depigmentation of northern Europeans. A general adaptation would be the production of lactase as an adult in Europeans because a herding lifestyle opened up new regions for settlement and a whole new food source. Another one is intelligence and it is always a generalized adaptation.

Overspecialization leads to a specialized and so usually small environment. Overspecialization can lead to extinction.

Agrippa
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2005, 01:15 PM
There are specific adaptations and then there are general adaptations. A specific adaptation would be the sickel cell thing among blacks, for instance, or the depigmentation of northern Europeans. A general adaptation would be the production of lactase as an adult in Europeans because a herding lifestyle opened up new regions for settlement and a whole new food source. Another one is intelligence and it is always a generalized adaptation.

Overspecialization leads to a specialized and so usually small environment. Overspecialization can lead to extinction.

I can just agree with Wolff, short answer but everything important inside.

Prussian
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
It is not so much about the questioning of it's value but more so to acknowledge it's existence & the various factors pointed out above that impact upon it.

Though I am not particularly adept in these matters what Dr. Solar Wolff points out makes a lot of sense. I am in agreement with this just as Agrippa pointed out the importance within the statement itself.