PDA

View Full Version : Finno-Ugric Genes and Alcohol?

shockgrrrl
Friday, February 18th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I read somewhere that Finno-Ugric genes have been linked to suicide and alcohol. I was wondering, since, my Ukrainian/ Russian side of the family are very crazy, suicidal and alcoholic.... are Finno-Ugric genes heavily present in Ukraine, Russia, or?

Tommy Vercetti
Saturday, February 19th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I read somewhere that Finno-Ugric genes have been linked to suicide and alcohol. I was wondering, since, my Ukrainian/ Russian side of the family are very crazy, suicidal and alcoholic.... are Finno-Ugric genes heavily present in Ukraine, Russia, or?

I'd guess that alcohol and suicide is linked. Is Finno-Ugric genes and alcohol linked? Based on my observations during years, I'd say that to some extent,yes

Lena_rus
Saturday, February 19th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Finno-Ugric genes are presented in Ural region and Western Siberia, Karelia region and rest border with finland:D
And ofcourse that Russians, who have finnish or estonian heritage.
But if your family belongs to pure Slavic Russians and Ukrainians... they`re just crazy and alcoholic Russians/Ukrainians)
The alcohol is a part of our culture, just not all are able to use this culture only in a right way:(

shockgrrrl
Sunday, February 20th, 2005, 03:53 AM
:thumbup Thanks for the info.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, February 20th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Wouldn't those long, cold dark winters have more to do with depression?

Triglav
Sunday, February 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Wouldn't those long, cold dark winters have more to do with depression? My thoughts exactly. Here's the study nonetheless:

The Finno-Ugrian suicide hypothesis: variation in European suicide rates by latitude and longitude.

Voracek M, Fisher ML, Marusic A.

Department of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria. martin.voracek@akh-wien.ac.at

The marked variation regarding the suicide rate in 34 European countries is well described by regressing the national suicide rate on the capital cities' latitudes and on an interaction term of squared latitude multiplied with longitude. The interaction term explains 40.8% and 29.1% of men's and women's suicide rate, respectively, and latitude explains a further significant increment of 10.9% and 10.6% variance of men's and women's suicide rate, respectively. This regression model quantifies the Finno-Ugrian suicide hypothesis of Kondrichin and of Marusic and Farmer. The European countries highest in suicide rate constitute a contiguous, J-shaped belt, spanning from Finland to Austria. This area maps onto the second principal component identified for European gene distribution, representing ancestral adaptation to cold climates and the Uralic language dispersion. Thus, population differences in genetic risk factors may account for the spatial pattern in European suicide rates.

PMID: 14620226 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14620226&dopt=Abstract

shockgrrrl
Sunday, February 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Th location study in relationship to suicide does make sense. I see it here in America. Since I used to live in the warm south and am now in the north, it is more apparent. There's a very high depression, alcoholism and suicide rate here, due to it being cold and overcast.