PDA

View Full Version : Faust-Has It Ever Been Performed?

Draco
Monday, February 14th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Has there ever been a live performance of Faust? Every director I've ever asked has told me, "No way, too special effects intensive. Too expensive." Is that really the case?

I am aware of the existence of two DVD's, Faust, filmed in 1995 uses puppets and claymation and was actually quite good, and the other film, which was extremely terrible; Faust: Love of the Damned.

There'd be a market for this play, it has a time tested plot; afterall, its character has slipped into vocabulary (A faustian bargain, meaning a deal which is great at the beginning and rapidly turns into a huge costly mistake is a real term). The special effects would offset their initial investment cost by actually being able to compete with movies in that regard and draw a younger crowd, as well as the ever popular violence.

Or, is it best read as a book and acted out with the infinitely more capable human imagination?

Fraxinus Excelsior
Monday, February 14th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Has there ever been a live performance of Faust? Every director I've ever asked has told me, "No way, too special effects intensive. Too expensive." Is that really the case?

I am aware of the existence of two DVD's, Faust, filmed in 1995 uses puppets and claymation and was actually quite good, and the other film, which was extremely terrible; Faust: Love of the Damned.

There'd be a market for this play, it has a time tested plot; afterall, its character has slipped into vocabulary (A faustian bargain, meaning a deal which is great at the beginning and rapidly turns into a huge costly mistake is a real term). The special effects would offset their initial investment cost by actually being able to compete with movies in that regard and draw a younger crowd, as well as the ever popular violence.

Or, is it best read as a book and acted out with the infinitely more capable human imagination?If you like opera, there's Arrigo Boito's Mefistofele (http://www.grandi-tenori.com/features/om/om.2003.12.php), which is based on Faust.

I'm not sure, but I believe Faust has been performed ouside of opera and puppet shows.

Ryan
Tuesday, June 7th, 2005, 02:33 AM
I would like to read Faust one of these days once I get through my massive stack of novels to be read. I've heard nothing but good things, and actually first saw it mentioned in an allusion in Steppenwolf which is a great book.

"A faustian bargain, meaning a deal which is great at the beginning and rapidly turns into a huge costly mistake is a real term."

I found this kind of funny in relation to the comments that those directors gave you. I can envision some mockumentary like Spinal Tap, or Best in Show, which features a theatre production of Faust which quickly turns into a Faustian bargain. :D