PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Mothers Produce Fat Children?

Mistress Klaus
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
According to recent studies...children from overweight mothers are more likely to be of a obese state by the age of 6. Starting from the age of 3 with the excessive weight gain.

From the studies of 70 children ....only 1 child was found to be overweight from 37 'lean' mothers. Also families of lower/poverty incomes were more likely to have obese children.

Genes or just bad parenting? (continous take-out/junk food)...The lazy way out of ordering a pizza or burgers & sitting the kids in front of a video/computer screen?..A sign of the modern times perhaps?...

Midtown Bootboy
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Believe me it is just the fact of bad parenting :). Overweight parents introduced their children to the awful diet they go by everyday, then eventually the children will pick up on it. :D And anyway, I doubt overweight parents would promote any kind of physical outdoor activity so it is quite understandable.

WarMaiden
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 03:53 AM
I've done childcare for many years and in many different countries, the only overweight folk so far have been here in the USA, the Mother of the children i cared for was at least 300lbs and her mother who also lived in the same home had never been upstairs in their new house, they have lived there a few years now , why couldn't she go upstairs? because her knees couldn't make it up the stairs, their kitchen cupboards where full of donuts - twinkies and the like, her kids weren't FAT but chubby so they are also heading in that path of "fatness"..

It's really sad to see these parents basically turn their kids into pigs, who in 50 years will also be unable to walk up their stairs, one would think that was reason enough to keep them healthy!!

Vicky

Ewergrin
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 06:24 AM
the only overweight folk so far have been here in the USA
Every fat person in the history of modern man was born and raised here in the United States. It's a fact. Don't anyone dare refute it!

Midtown Bootboy
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 04:06 PM
:jeer That's the damn truth, mate. The resturant industry here in America is astounding. I have never seen so many fast food resturants in my life.

Allenson
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
LOL... ;)

Midtown Bootboy
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 05:47 PM
It's the truth, mate. :) I cannot even watch the TV without some advertisment for McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Church's, etc. etc. It's just sad how there is very little promotion for more healthier alternatives.

Allenson
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 05:56 PM
According to recent studies...children from overweight mothers are more likely to be of a obese state by the age of 6. Starting from the age of 3 with the excessive weight gain.

From the studies of 70 children ....only 1 child was found to be overweight from 37 'lean' mothers. Also families of lower/poverty incomes were more likely to have obese children.

Genes or just bad parenting? (continous take-out/junk food)...The lazy way out of ordering a pizza or burgers & sitting the kids in front of a video/computer screen?..A sign of the modern times perhaps?...

It's a good question, Skadi and I'm sure the answer is more complex than some might initially assume. Surely there are both genetic and cultural factors that can lead to obesity. Some have it in their genetic framework to be able to retain fat--leftovers from days when meals were far less guaranteed than they are today and a person could possibly go quite sometime without some mammoth steaks or the like (;)). On the flip-side though, a "culture" has surely arisen in recent decades where fatty foods are the dominant staple that mom supplies and these foods are served in vast quantities. And guess where the kids learn their eating habits from?

Midtown Bootboy
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Well I do indeed think genetics is out of the question, I really do not understand how they could play a more dominant role in the weight of children.

WarMaiden
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005, 06:33 PM
Every fat person in the history of modern man was born and raised here in the United States. It's a fact. Don't anyone dare refute it!

Its horrifying, i hate when i see a fat person eating in McDonalds or Burger King etc. i think i would be ashamed if it was me...

Blah to Porkies ~

Mistress Klaus
Friday, February 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM
It's a good question, Skadi and I'm sure the answer is more complex than some might initially assume. Surely there are both genetic and cultural factors that can lead to obesity. Some have it in their genetic framework to be able to retain fat--leftovers from days when meals were far less guaranteed than they are today and a person could possibly go quite sometime without some mammoth steaks or the like (;)). On the flip-side though, a "culture" has surely arisen in recent decades where fatty foods are the dominant staple that mom supplies and these foods are served in vast quantities. And guess where the kids learn their eating habits from?Remember the 'old days'...our own growing childhood & the older days.....There was usually ONE FAT kid in the classroom...2 at the most...(and laughed at...considered the outcast or just merely accepted as a 'fatty')....sounds cruel, but that is the way it was)....

These days...being fat is the majority.
The children of today, being of normal/trim/healthy weight is the oddity now.:rolleyes: The emphasis on activity and sports to promote weight loss and a healthy weight stability these days is embarassingly prevalent.. It was never an issue 60 years ago. Kids (and most adults) were of acceptable weight and size.
After school... Children of the olde day got out & played with friends & came in for the nightly dinner (cooked by the mother). ...I sound old fashioned...but that is the way it should be.:-D

Ewergrin
Friday, February 4th, 2005, 02:10 PM
The children of today, being of normal/trim/healthy weight is the oddity now.:rolleyes:

Prove that.

Allenson
Friday, February 4th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Remember the 'old days'...our own growing childhood & the older days.....There was usually ONE FAT kid in the classroom...2 at the most...(and laughed at...considered the outcast or just merely accepted as a 'fatty')....sounds cruel, but that is the way it was)....

The children of today, being of normal/trim/healthy weight is the oddity now.:rolleyes: The emphasis on activity and sports to promote weight loss and a healthy weight stability these days is embarassingly prevalent.. It was never an issue 60 years ago. Kids (and most adults) were of acceptable weight and size.
After school... Children of the olde day got out & played with friends & came in for the nightly dinner (cooked by the mother). ...I sound old fashioned...but that is the way it should be.:-D

Ha! How right you are. I grew up in a very small town and went to school with the same 20 or so kids for eight years (before high school--which was a regional, multi-town thing) and there was indeed only one 'fat kid'. I look back and I realize that he'd be considered probably more in the middle-range now.... And yes, he did get picked on quite a lot. So bad, that one time I felt terribly sorry for him that I told several of my good friends to basically shut the f*ck up and leave him alone. They looked at me as if I had three heads or someting.... LOL.

Midtown Bootboy
Friday, February 4th, 2005, 05:29 PM
The school districts in Texas are "over the brim" with overweight children.

Vanir
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 12:42 PM
diet in early childhood also plays a role in obesity.
the human body has an amazing ability to adapt, and if subjected to grossly excess kilojoule intakes whilst young, the body adapts by simply creating more adipocytes, or fat cells, so that individuals potential to store energy just went up an order of magnitude, though that's just one element. Genetic predisposition, whether hormonal or metabolic or otherwise, seems to be the main culprit.

introducing obese individuals to a work-out regime that doesn't lead them to burn-out in short order is also difficult. In my limited experience in trying to help "fat" mates get into shape, their bodies are resistant to anything lipolytic, their body chemistry is comfortable with, and highly efficient at, converting sugars to fats, and that's what their machinery wants to keep doing. Maybe just gradual prolonged exposure to anabolic states induced by free-weight workouts mild enough not to run them down into a crash. Once you can get them to gain some lean muscle, you're beginning a self-regulating process of fat consumption, as that muscle eats stored fat even when at rest (muscle's metabolically active)

(shrugs) or there's always liposuction....

Blutwölfin
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 12:54 PM
well, it's not just about parenting. if you're overweight or not is also influenced by your genes.

as you already said: amerrica is the land of the fat. almost one thrid of all americans is overweight.

personally i feel that all overweight human beings are sort of degenerated and a handicap for a healthy community. fat people do not symbolize a strong and powerful race. instead they stand for carelessness for their own body and culture. fat white people drag the powerful race in the mud.

i really abominate fat people. they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce if their illness of being fat and their attitude towards life is hereditarily.

Blutwölfin
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I really dont't know if it has been discussed already,
but I found a really interesting theme in an other forum.
So maybe we can talk about it here, too.

"According to recent studies...children from overweight
mothers are more likely to be of a obese state by the
age of 6. Starting from the age of 3 with the excessive
weight gain.

From the studies of 70 children ....only 1 child was found
to be overweight from 37 'lean' mothers. Also families of
lower/poverty incomes were more likely to have obese
children.

Genes or just bad parenting? (continous take-out/junk food)...
The lazy way out of ordering a pizza or burgers & sitting the
kids in front of a video/computer screen?..A sign of the
modern times perhaps?..."

My point of view:

It's not just about parenting, but it plays an important role.
If parents don't look after healthy food and don't care
about having a healthy body, the children adapt their
behaviour, because children are learning from their parents.
And what you learn as a child is hard to get rid off later
as a grown-up.

But: If you're overweight or not is also influenced by your
genes. Then it's really hard to stay or become thin and
healthy. But it works if you try hard.

Personally I feel that all overweight human beings are sort
of degenerated and a handicap for a healthy community.
Fat people do not symbolize a strong and powerful race.
Instead they stand for carelessness for their own body and
culture. Fat white people drag the powerful race in the mud.

I really abominate fat people. They shouldn't be allowed to
reproduce if their illness of being fat and their attitude
towards life is hereditarily.

Midtown Bootboy
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Yes, overweight people symbolize that a race is weak, lazy, greedy and gluttonous.

Agrippa
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM
First we must distinguish people by age as well if we speaking about overweight. Next, we must draw a line when the overweight is pathological.

And finally we will hopefull find the responsible genes soon and can solve this problem praenatal without harming adipoes people themselves.

But for many I would suggest special programs and help to get their problem under control.

nicholas
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I think its bad parenting. I know from personal experience, the cupboards were always filled with sugar and fat in its various forms. Want an apple or a salad and you'd be out of luck.

Another part of it is the psychology of the poor. They fear lack of food and stuff themselves when food is around. While the behavior of gorging was a survival mechanism on the days of hunting and gathering it is problematic. One only has to see the negative side of it by going into a wal-mart and seeing obese women with carts filled with soda, chips, cookies, etc. They often teach their children the mentality that food is scarce. They have a look of fear in their eyes and their obese children lumber behind them often demanding yet another package of cookies or whining to go eat at mcdonalds.

I long at times for the days when humans had real predators like lions, and bears. Most people wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the fact that we have no predators. When I see a gigantically obese person I at times picture them attempting to escape a large predatory animal like a lion or perhaps a pack of wolves.

PsycholgclMishap
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Yes, overweight people symbolize that a race is weak, lazy, greedy and gluttonous.

That is preposterous! Overweight people symbolize lack of will power in themselves, and/or poorly monitored health and parenting (among other things), NOT that a particular RACE "is weak, lazy, greedy and gluttonous". It ultimately comes down to the individual in the end. It must be taken into account there are people with conditions and/or diseases like hyperactive thyroid, etc.

NO ONE is perfect whether you choose to believe so or not. If you have a few extra pounds (10-20) that does not mean you are weak, lazy, gluttonous, etc. I know plenty of healthy individuals who run or cycle everyday, maintain healthy lifestyles, etc., but still have a few extra pounds and/or even more than a few extra pounds.

I walk between 5 and 10 miles every week, in addition to cycling 5 miles or so per day, and I still have extra baggage but I am healthy! My test results are clear and/or at healthy levels. I have 20/20 vision, my heart rate is a healthy average of 122/80, I have normal blood pressure, etc.

Here is a fairly recent picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/PsycholgclMishap/Shows/CatDecapGutrot100404.jpg
October 2004

I am by no means skinny or thin.

PsycholgclMishap
Monday, February 7th, 2005, 07:29 PM
P.S. My would definitely agree to a certain extent that certain "fat mothers create fat children". My mom gained a lot of weight during/after her second pregnancy (my younger brother), at least 80 lbs. She also had post-partem disorder which was said to be a cause of her overeating. She often fed us cheap food which is usually the most fatty and has the highest counts of carbohydrates, i.e.: hamburger, pasta, rice, bread, cheese, peanut butter, etc. As children both my brother and I were fed heartily, and there was definitely rapid weight gain for both my brother and I but we were also very active kids. We'd run and swim all day long between March and November.

My dad was used to large meals as a child growing up in the 40s and 50s. It was not uncommon for families of that era to cook and serve large meals. However, during that era children were receiving better educations and were entirely more physically active than children in this day and age.

This based on observation, books, and studies in the U.S.

Blutwölfin
Tuesday, February 8th, 2005, 06:15 AM
I am by no means skinny or thin.

Yes, that's right, you're not.

And: No one is perfect, I agree. E.g., my mother tongue isn't English, so my writings aren't faultless. But everyone should try to reach his personal best, his limit, TRY to be perfect.

You can't do that much to enhance your iq, but you can learn to increase your knowledge. You can't do that much to be pretty, but you can care about yourself. AND: you can do a lot not to be overweight (except if you're fat because of illness). No one needs to be fat and ugly and a shame for the human race.

By the way: To have one or two extra pounds - that's not so bad. But to be fat, that is.

PsycholgclMishap
Tuesday, February 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Yes, that's right, you're not.

And: No one is perfect, I agree. E.g., my mother tongue isn't English, so my writings aren't faultless. But everyone should try to reach his personal best, his limit, TRY to be perfect.

You can't do that much to enhance your iq, but you can learn to increase your knowledge. You can't do that much to be pretty, but you can care about yourself. AND: you can do a lot not to be overweight (except if you're fat because of illness). No one needs to be fat and ugly and a shame for the human race.

By the way: To have one or two extra pounds - that's not so bad. But to be fat, that is.

Who defines what is or is not fat in your book? In my experience, someone generally JUDGES someone based on physical appearance alone before ever knowing anything about that person. "Ugliness" is defined by OPINION 99.9% of the time, NOT expertise. A person can take care of himself/herself very well and someone else can still consider him/her ugly and/or fat.

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, February 8th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Ha! How right you are. I grew up in a very small town and went to school with the same 20 or so kids for eight years (before high school--which was a regional, multi-town thing) and there was indeed only one 'fat kid'. I look back and I realize that he'd be considered probably more in the middle-range now.... And yes, he did get picked on quite a lot. So bad, that one time I felt terribly sorry for him that I told several of my good friends to basically shut the f*ck up and leave him alone. They looked at me as if I had three heads or someting.... LOL.
;) I was never one to pick on the fat (plump) kid either...or any other freak kid for that matter either. Odin forbid...when I did tell several of my mates to leave a certain boy/girl alone I got accused of liking him/her...:haha School was a funny time. If it was a 'him' ('is that your new boyfriend')...'she' ('why are you talking to her?)....:rrofl

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, February 8th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Prove that.
The clothing sizes have been enlarged. My '10' (Australian size) is now a 14.

The food has changed.....I can barely buy a normal yogurt (for example)...everything displays '99% fat free).

The obvious visual display of people in public. :(

It has shown through studies that the ladies of 1955 averaged a size 10 to 12 compared with today's standard of 14-16. (Australian sizes)

The obsession with exercise equipment, diets and embarrassing 'reality' make- over & weight loss programs/shows.

Alot of people of today are generally less active & quite frankly lazy & complacent.

The lack of actually cooking a 'real' meal is common these days. Feeding children meat pies, microwave instant food and take away seems to be normal practise.

I'll post some links if you want..:) Folks are fatter! and that is a fact!

PsycholgclMishap
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Alot of people of today are generally less active & quite frankly lazy & complacent.

The lack of actually cooking a 'real' meal is common these days. Feeding children meat pies, microwave instant food and take away seems to be normal practise.

...Folks are fatter! and that is a fact!

Very true! Unfortunately, sometimes (for some people) work does not allow time for the necessary things in life like exercise, quality time, cooking, etc.