PDA

View Full Version : Do You Accept the Germanic Minority in Southern Europe as Your Kin?

Conquistador
Friday, May 30th, 2003, 06:45 AM
...do you all accept the pure Germanic and Germanic-like (Nordics and "Exotic Nordics") minority in Southern Europe as your kin, or do you reject them? I have always thought about this particular paradox since I became interested in European Anthropology and Culture. An honest answer will suffice.

Loki
Friday, May 30th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Conquistador
...do you all accept the pure Germanic and Germanic-like (Nordics and "Exotic Nordics") minority in Southern Europe as your kin, or do you reject them? I have always thought about this particular paradox since I became interested in European Anthropology and Culture. An honest answer will suffice.

I am aware that historically there have been considerable Germanic genetic input in Southern Europe, even though it was mostly a ruling elite. What I am referring to is of course the expansion of the Ostrogoths (Italy), Visigoths (Spain), Vandals (Spain, North Africa, Corsica & Sardinia), Lombards (Northern Italy), Normans (Sicily) and other. If there are modern descendants in those parts who still resemble, to this day, their Germanic ancestors phenotypically, I wouldn't know, since I have never been to any country in Southern Europe myself. I guess that is a question that you would be better qualified to answer.

To me, location is not of essence. What is important, is ancestral links and genetic resemblance/purity. After all, who am I to judge - my Germanic ancestors have been in South Africa for over three centuries.

Regards

Loki

Conquistador
Friday, May 30th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Thank you for answering. Actually, there are people of pure Germanic/Celtic/Nordic descent in Southern Europe, but they are few in number; 400,000 to 1 million such persons in Spain, to say the least. The rest of the people are for the most part either of mixed Mediterranean and Nordic ancestry (Intermediate), depending if they themselves are predominately Nordic or Mediterranean or having another sub-racial type included eg., Alpine or Dinaric or all four sub-racial types in one individual. Not to mention that there are a number of individuals of the original Mediterranean type remaining in Southern Europe.

Disclaimer: To others who are wondering and reading this thread, I'm not trying to give the "I-am-a-med-who-wishes-I-were-Nordic" persona. :rolleyes: I am neither pure Mediterranean nor pure Nordic in the strictest sense. I'm just trying to obtain an objective view on how people of Northern European descent view Southern European Nordics in general. Nothing subjective, nothing biased.

Allenson
Wednesday, June 4th, 2003, 03:35 PM
In the broader sense of everything, I consider all Europids, irregardless of their country of origin or racial sub-type to be my kith and kin. However, I am also aware that those in the north of Euorope are closer kin than others.

So yes, Nordics and their allied types living in the south of Europe are surely my racial brethren.

best

+Suomut+
Saturday, September 13th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I have a story along these lines. In my younger days I used to attend a boarding military school here in the U.S. which was about 60% American and about 40% 'Latin'-American-national by student population. One day while in my journeys I came across a young cadet whom I thought was a 'gringo,' i.e. a 'White' American, since he had golden hair with blue eyes and light skin. Well, I spoke to him in English, naturally, expecting a reply but he only gave me a 'blank' look on his face--that's when I realized he was a 'spic,' as we Germanic Americans here in the U.S. say (no offense intended, this is not much of an ethnic slur, IMO). Well, I was floored and I learned a lesson: not EVERYONE in the 'Latin' world (whether it be in Europe or the Americas) fits the mold of what many think of as 'Mediterranean' by appearance. The fact is that there exist a certain % of those of 'Mediterranean' heritage who LOOK more akin to those of Northern European heritage than to those of Southern European heritage. As I recall, this cadet I spoke to was from Honduras. I've always rationalized that as meaning he was from the 'upper-classes' of his country (for he was) and somewhere along the line in his genealogy he had Northern European heritage, but this was just my assumption...no guarantees for sure of this. Needless, to say, things are NOT always what one assumes them to be--everyone should be aware of this.

Ediruc
Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I have no problem with accepting these people. In fact, I have a number of friends who are Germanic-looking, yet claim ancestry to these regions. We just have to remember that no matter the distance or region, racially, there really is no difference between myself and a German or English person. In the southern regions of Europe, I'm sure, in like Sicily there are purely blooded Nordics and in some parts of Northern Spain, even in former Spanish colonies from the Colonial era, there exists some people whose Nordic heredity was predetermined to surface and so they look like they have strong Germanic influences, such as from the Visigoths.

BurgMeister
Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, because they are on the front lines against Latin poison.