PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding Has Many Benefits!

Sigrun Christianson
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 02:16 AM
I moved these posts in here from the Marriage/Children thread in the Relations forum.

kriegsmaschine wrote: >>Breast-fed beyond four months. Not sure how this is really a factor.

Well then, let me educate you... ;)

Breastfeeding at least four months has four important benefits over formula/bottle-feeding:
Breast milk contains immune-boosting nutrients that a child cannot get from cow's milk or formula. Studies show that breastfed children have fewer allergies and childhood diseases.
The IQ of breastfed children is shown to be, on average, 5 IQ points higher than their non-breastfed peers. They have fewer learning disabilities and behavioral problems as well.
A recent study conducted in the UK showed that breastfed children, on average, lived five years longer than their non-breastfed peers.
Breastfeeding increases the emotional and psychological bond between the mother & child. A child must attach to and trust his mother or he'll have difficulty finding and maintaining 'normal' adult relationships.

An important point to remember is that these benefits mentioned above are noticed only in children who were breastfed for at least four months.

A few other things I want to point out:
Formula is expensive. It's not unusual to spend $80-100/month on formula. Breastmilk is free.
A breastfed newborn wants to eat every two to four hours. The baby's digestive system can easily breakdown and digest breastmilk because it was made just for him and his needs. Formula is made for every baby and therefore, for no baby. Formula is harder for the baby to digest and hence formula-fed babies tend to get hungry less often - every four to six hours - and have more bowel irregularities. While this is great for Mom who doesn't really want to stop what she's doing every 2 hours to feed the brat, it is better for the brat, I mean sweet child, to eat smaller meals every couple of hours that are easy for him to digest.
Women who breastfeed report losing their 'baby fat' sooner. Studies also show that the uterus of a breastfeeding Mom shinks back to its normal, pre-pregnancy size faster than non-breastfeeding Moms.
A breastfeeding woman is half as likey to get pregnant as a non-breastfeeding one. Doctors think is the body's way of regulating itself and giving both the mother and child enough of a recuperative rest between births.
No bottles & rubber nipples to purchase, replace, wash & sterilize. No running out of formula. No need to carry a bottle around with you.
This point is for the men: You have a really good excuse for not getting up three times in the middle of the night to feed the screaming child.

I hope this clarified for you. :)

Yours,
Sigrun Christianson, aka the Breastfeeding Nazi and Domestic Goddess Extrordinaire

Ewergrin
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Sigrun
Well then, let me educate you... ;)

Breastfeeding at least four months has four important benefits over formula/bottle-feeding:
Breast milk contains immune-boosting nutrients that a child cannot get from cow's milk or formula. Studies show that breastfed children have fewer allergies and childhood diseases.
The IQ of breastfed children is shown to be, on average, 5 IQ points higher than their non-breastfed peers. They have fewer learning disabilities and behavioral problems as well.
A recent study conducted in the UK showed that breastfed children, on average, lived five years longer than their non-breastfed peers.
Breastfeeding increases the emotional and psychological bond between the mother & child. A child must attach to and trust his mother or he'll have difficulty finding and maintaining 'normal' adult relationships.

An important point to remember is that these benefits mentioned above are noticed only in children who were breastfed for at least four months.

A few other things I want to point out:
Formula is expensive. It's not unusual to spend $80-100/month on formula. Breastmilk is free.
A breastfed newborn wants to eat every two to four hours. The baby's digestive system can easily breakdown and digest breastmilk because it was made just for him and his needs. Formula is made for every baby and therefore, for no baby. Formula is harder for the baby to digest and hence formula-fed babies tend to get hungry less often - every four to six hours - and have more bowel irregularities. While this is great for Mom who doesn't really want to stop what she's doing every 2 hours to feed the brat, it is better for the brat, I mean sweet child, to eat smaller meals every couple of hours that are easy for him to digest.
Women who breastfeed report losing their 'baby fat' sooner. Studies also show that the uterus of a breastfeeding Mom shinks back to its normal, pre-pregnancy size faster than non-breastfeeding Moms.
A breastfeeding woman is half as likey to get pregnant as a non-breastfeeding one. Doctors think is the body's way of regulating itself and giving both the mother and child enough of a recuperative rest between births.
No bottles & rubber nipples to purchase, replace, wash & sterilize. No running out of formula. No need to carry a bottle around with you.
This point is for the men: You have a really good excuse for not getting up three times in the middle of the night to feed the screaming child.

I hope this clarified for you. :)

Yours,
Sigrun Christianson, aka the Breastfeeding Nazi and Domestic Goddess Extrordinaire

I understand your points, however it just seems to me like a trivial factor and all the breat milk in the world cannot make up for lack of good parenting. I have 2 sons, both of which I feel are very smart (I know... EVERY parent feels that their child is smart.) Our using formula was not an option because of my wifes breast reduction surgery(it was mandatory due to her small frame - very serious lower back problems because her breasts were abnormally large) made her unable to breast feed. I understand that this is not much of a problem now, but the surgery was done in 1996. I dont feel that they have suffered whatsoever because of using formula. I know that breast-milk is better, but I feel the alternative is fine as well. I know there are some mothers who will never let their children stop suckling the teet.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 02:43 AM
This point is for the men: You have a really good excuse for not getting up three times in the middle of the night to feed the screaming child.[/list]

I cannot vouch for other men, but I for one loved getting up to feed my sons. I felt it was outstanding bonding time between us and I feel closer to them because of it. Looking at them as they stare at you. The bond one feels can be breathtaking.

cosmocreator
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by kriegsmaschine
I know there are some mothers who will never let their children stop suckling the teet.

I had a girlfriend who breastfed one of her kids until he was 3 y.o. Gotta wonder if it was for her own enjoyment.

cosmocreator
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 02:49 AM
A child must attach to and trust his mother or he'll have difficulty finding and maintaining 'normal' adult relationships

I was never breast-fed.:crying

EDIT:

I also read that children who were NOT breast-fed grow up to be more independent. I have always been very independent. It actually bothers me when people do things for me that I could do myself. I stopped wearing diapers by age 1. I know that's young. I was reading and doing simple math before I entered elementary school at age 5. I taught myself to play guitar and piano. I taught myself grade 13 subjects so I could go to university including calculus and physics -- which I was told wasn't possibly.

I have trouble developing relationships. I really do. But I'm also proud of my independence.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by cosmocreator
I had a girlfriend who breastfeed one of her kids until he was 3 y.o. Gotta wonder if it was for her own enjoyment.

I know a girl who was breastfed until 10 years old.
She is very literally the most insane and psychotic, manic depressive/bi-polar "woman" I have ever met. Both her and her sister were treated this way.
There has to be a line drawn when it comes to breast-feeding.
To me, 1 year sounds like plenty.
Breast milk is a tool of survival for infants. As soon as they are old enough to eat soft mashed foods, it is no longer required and at that point cannot be done with the childs best interest at heart.

cosmocreator
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by kriegsmaschine
I know a girl who was breastfed until 10 years old.
She is very literally the most insane and psychotic, manic depressive/bi-polar "woman" I have ever met. Both her and her sister were treated this way.

I only knew the boy when he was 8. He was big for his age but was the biggest sissy. He'd cry over everything. It was because of him that we broke up.

Sigrun Christianson
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 04:22 AM
cosmo and kreigsmaschine,

Have you ever breastfed a baby? Do you think that we "get off' on it? Actually, it hurts - sometimes a lot. The breasts swell, stretch & ache and sometimes just even touching them lightly hurts like Hell. I will never understand how men (and even sometimes women, which is even more shocking) equate breastfeeding with erotic pleasure. It can be pleasureable, sure, but not in an erotic/sexual way. I wonder about you people, really...

The evidence in favor of breastfeeding is established and overwhelming, and your experiences with a few nutcases doesn't change that. I've known women to breastfeed until 18 months to two years and there isn't a thing wrong with it. Kids usually don't just stop all at once, they need time to transition from the breast (or bottle) to solid foods. I've noticed, as have others, that children in the midst of that transitional stage will take two steps forward one back - the step back usually occurs during a stressful time for the child, like when he is ill or there is a major change taking place in the household. Going back to the breast is a comfort for him.

The women I've talked to and heard from on this issue always come up with some reason why they couldn't breastfeed, but I suspect (and some have admitted) that they just "didn't feel like it" or they "thought it was gross" or it was "inconvenient" because she have to be with the child nearly all the time. Oh Gawd forbid some woman should have to take care of her own child - and breastfeed! That is just asking too much, huh? I have zero respect for those women.

Neither of you will ever know if breastfeeding would have made a difference in your lives or the lives of your children because it's too late now. You have no basis for comparison.

I really believe that only about 10% of the population should reproduce. The rest should get 'fixed' ASAP. The ironic part is that lowest and least educated classes in society out breed the smartest, healthiest, sanest and most financially sound. The people who are best equipped to have kids, are not. A cruel joke.

Ya know, public welfare benefits pay for sterilization, how sad that so few use it.

-Sig

Ewergrin
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 11:45 AM
cosmo and kreigsmaschine,

Have you ever breastfed a baby? Do you think that we "get off' on it? Actually, it hurts - sometimes a lot. The breasts swell, stretch & ache and sometimes just even touching them lightly hurts like Hell. I will never understand how men (and even sometimes women, which is even more shocking) equate breastfeeding with erotic pleasure. It can be pleasureable, sure, but not in an erotic/sexual way. I wonder about you people, really...

The evidence in favor of breastfeeding is established and overwhelming, and your experiences with a few nutcases doesn't change that. I've known women to breastfeed until 18 months to two years and there isn't a thing wrong with it. Kids usually don't just stop all at once, they need time to transition from the breast (or bottle) to solid foods. I've noticed, as have others, that children in the midst of that transitional stage will take two steps forward one back - the step back usually occurs during a stressful time for the child, like when he is ill or there is a major change taking place in the household. Going back to the breast is a comfort for him.

The women I've talked to and heard from on this issue always come up with some reason why they couldn't breastfeed, but I suspect (and some have admitted) that they just "didn't feel like it" or they "thought it was gross" or it was "inconvenient" because she have to be with the child nearly all the time. Oh Gawd forbid some woman should have to take care of her own child - and breastfeed! That is just asking too much, huh? I have zero respect for those women.

Neither of you will ever know if breastfeeding would have made a difference in your lives or the lives of your children because it's too late now. You have no basis for comparison.

I really believe that only about 10% of the population should reproduce. The rest should get 'fixed' ASAP. The ironic part is that lowest and least educated classes in society out breed the smartest, healthiest, sanest and most financially sound. The people who are best equipped to have kids, are not. A cruel joke.

Ya know, public welfare benefits pay for sterilization, how sad that so few use it.

-Sig

1. No one said the the average breastfeedig woman "gets off" on it. We were speculating about the extreme cases.

2. My wife tried very desperately to breastfeed and is something that she still regrets not being able to do to this day. Sure there are lazy people out there, but as you staed previously, breastfeeding certainly is a lot more convienant.

3. I suppose you have done both bottle and breast feeding, then?

Ederico
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Wow, breastfeeding till 10 years? Doesn't the milk stop being produced?

I am kind of in a hurry, all I say is that I am with Sigrun on this one, at least for now, but that won't probably change.

Sigrun Christianson
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Edric, the milk keeps being produced as long as needed.

kriegsmaschine, I don't dicsuss my personal life. cosmo stated that he knew a woman who breastfed until the child was three years old and he wondered if she got off on it... three years is not extreme.

Have any of you read The Grapes of Wrath? The ending was beautiful.

-Sig

Vlad
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Many women can't breast feed because they are too old or they have flat or inverted nipples or something. My mother was in her 40's when she had me and I was not breastfed. What should women like that do?

Sigrun Christianson
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Many women in their 40s choose to breastfeed. My grandmother had her first child at age 29 and had her seventh (and last) child at age 42. She breastfed all of them.

In the case that there is a medical reason a woman cannot breastfeed, she can attempt retrieve her milk using a pump and feed the baby using a bottle. In the case that she cannot produce milk, she has no choice but to formula-feed.

The fact is, breastfeeding is most beneficial for the mother and child. In the cases of women who cannot (as opposed to will not) breastfeed, that really sucks and I'm sorry for them and their child.

-Sig

cosmocreator
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 07:54 PM

You have children or child, I have none. Would that put me higher on the echelon of quality? Just curious.

Vlad
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 08:16 PM
This is only a guess, but if a woman cannot breast feed, would it be possible for her to obtain breast milk for her baby from another woman? Or would that not be good due to the fact that each woman's breast milk is unique and genetically best only for her own kids?

(I know this is going off topic from the original topic of this thread but I'm just curious).

Sigrun Christianson
Wednesday, May 28th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Good point, Vlad.

Historically, there were women who would keep their breast milk up and use it to feed the children they looked after. They were referred to as Wet Nurses. Usually, upper class women who were unable (or often just too lazy) to breastfeed their own children would employ lactating women of lesser means to do the breastfeeding.

Also, I just read this recently, Germany has started a program where lactating women can sell their extra milk to others who cannot breastfeed for some reason. Some women cannot produce enough milk to satisfy the child and some others produce more than their baby needs. This had been done in the past, but hasn't been around for decades. It's starting up again.

Also, as the child transitions from breastfeeding to solid foods, the mother usually has milk left over and that can be quite painful. Lactating breasts that are not expressed at regular intervals become very sore and tender. Pumping the extra milk out for another baby to have is a way to relieve that pain (and in Germany, make a few extra Euros).

I'm glad you brought that up. Breast milk from any healthy, disease and infection free white woman would be preferable to formula and cow's or goat's milk, imo. Woman who choose to breastfeed their children and others should not consume any alcohol, illicit drugs, and some prescription drugs, amongst other diet restrictions. From the very moment of conception and continuing until the child is no longer breastfeeding, whatever the mom consumes, the baby consumes. That's not always true, as there are some substances that do not appear to penetrate the placenta and milk ducts, but one is better safe than sorry.

A small pertcentage of children are allergic to both breast milk and cow's milk. In that case, a combination of formula and goat's milk might work.

-Sig

P.S. to cosmo: I was not referring to you. ;)

Scáthach
Thursday, May 29th, 2003, 04:44 PM

[/B]

excellent post Sigrun!
i would hope to breastfeed when i eventually have children,i absolutely believe it increases the bond between a mother and child :)

as for breatsfeeding actual children as opposed to babies,,thats really very disturbed.... :eek:

question-what is the medical reason/s why some women cant do it? as opposed to them just not wanting to i mean.

Ewergrin
Friday, May 30th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Scathach
excellent post Sigrun!
i would hope to breastfeed when i eventually have children,i absolutely believe it increases the bond between a mother and child :)

as for breatsfeeding actual children as opposed to babies,,thats really very disturbed.... :eek:

question-what is the medical reason/s why some women cant do it? as opposed to them just not wanting to i mean.

During breast reduction surgery, the nipples and aeriola (sp?)are actually cut completely off and then reattached later. Obviously, they arent able to reattach them exactly the way they were before. Its kind of hit and miss: some women have luck with breastfeeding afterwards, some are completely unable to draw milk.

Also, I want to clarify something. I am not opposed to breastfeeding at all. Of course, I dont have the option to be opposed to it since I am male and wont ever do it, but I completely support the women who choose to do it. I agree that its an unbreakable bond between mother and child. White women....you are wonderful.

I wish there was a weapons forum here. I already belong to all of the others ha.

Nordhammer
Tuesday, June 10th, 2003, 11:40 AM
[BSigrun Christianson, aka the Breastfeeding Nazi and Domestic Goddess Extraordinaire [/B]

Yet another thing to add to my list of "Why I adore Sigrun". :)

Sigrun Christianson
Wednesday, June 11th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Be careful, Nordhammer, or we'll have to rename this the Sigrun Christianson board. Not that I would mind, but I think it would be a turn off to some of the other members. ;)

-Sig

Sigrun Christianson
Monday, July 21st, 2003, 02:30 PM
Thursday July 17, 2003, 05:25:10 PM

Breast-feeding is one of the most important contributors to infant health. It provides a range of benefits for growth, immunity and development. It is so essential to promoting babies' well-being that the American Academy of Pediatrics urges all mothers to breastfeed for the baby's first year of life except when the mother is advised by her physician not to.

Aug. 1 to 7 is World Breast-feeding Week, during which attention focuses on the importance of breastfeeding. This year's theme -- "Breast-feeding in the globalize world for peace and justice" -- focuses on the fact that breastfeeding is about peace and justice. It is a natural, universal and peaceful way of nurturing children.

Breast-feeding is recognized as the optimal way to feed infants. Mother's milk contains a unique balance of nutrients that more closely matches human infant requirements for growth and development than milk of other species.

It fosters optimal growth and development of a baby's brain, immune system and general physiology and is a vital factor in preventing illnesses, especially diarrhea and infections of the respiratory tract, ear and urinary tract.

Breast milk contains important fatty acids that appear to enhance visual, cognitive and motor development of infants. These fatty acids have been added to U.S. infant formulas. However, the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition has said that there is not enough evidence to recommend formulas containing these fatty acids. Despite the addition of these fatty acids, breast milk still contains more than 200 ingredients that formula will never contain. Breast milk still remains the feeding of choice.

Breast-feeding also provides benefits for mothers. Breast-feeding helps women lose weight gained during pregnancy, improves postpartum bone remineralization and reduces the risk of ovarian and breast cancer. Breastfeeding can also boost a mother's immune system, help delay a new pregnancy and reduce insulin needs of diabetic mothers.

Psychologists believe a nursing baby enjoys security from the warmth and presence of the mother, especially when there is skin to skin contact during feeding. Nursing becomes a source of warmth and comfort that may not be available to a bottle-fed baby.

http://www.bakersfield.com/opinion/story/3474966p-3506192c.html

Ewergrin
Friday, July 25th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Thursday July 17, 2003, 05:25:10 PM

Breast-feeding is one of the most important contributors to infant health. It provides a range of benefits for growth, immunity and development. It is so essential to promoting babies' well-being that the American Academy of Pediatrics urges all mothers to breastfeed for the baby's first year of life except when the mother is advised by her physician not to.

Aug. 1 to 7 is World Breast-feeding Week, during which attention focuses on the importance of breastfeeding. This year's theme -- "Breast-feeding in the globalize world for peace and justice" -- focuses on the fact that breastfeeding is about peace and justice. It is a natural, universal and peaceful way of nurturing children.

Breast-feeding is recognized as the optimal way to feed infants. Mother's milk contains a unique balance of nutrients that more closely matches human infant requirements for growth and development than milk of other species.

It fosters optimal growth and development of a baby's brain, immune system and general physiology and is a vital factor in preventing illnesses, especially diarrhea and infections of the respiratory tract, ear and urinary tract.

Breast milk contains important fatty acids that appear to enhance visual, cognitive and motor development of infants. These fatty acids have been added to U.S. infant formulas. However, the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition has said that there is not enough evidence to recommend formulas containing these fatty acids. Despite the addition of these fatty acids, breast milk still contains more than 200 ingredients that formula will never contain. Breast milk still remains the feeding of choice.

Breast-feeding also provides benefits for mothers. Breast-feeding helps women lose weight gained during pregnancy, improves postpartum bone remineralization and reduces the risk of ovarian and breast cancer. Breastfeeding can also boost a mother's immune system, help delay a new pregnancy and reduce insulin needs of diabetic mothers.

Psychologists believe a nursing baby enjoys security from the warmth and presence of the mother, especially when there is skin to skin contact during feeding. Nursing becomes a source of warmth and comfort that may not be available to a bottle-fed baby.

http://www.bakersfield.com/opinion/story/3474966p-3506192c.html

We know the benefits of breastfeeding. I wonder though, about the appropriate time and place to do it. What do you think, Sigrun?

cosmocreator
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 12:28 AM
We know the benefits of breastfeeding. I wonder though, about the appropriate time and place to do it. What do you think, Sigrun?

You should know that better than I since you have kids and I don't.

When: when the baby's hungry.
Where: babies don't care. When they're hungry they want to be fed or else.

Ewergrin
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 01:56 AM
You should know that better than I since you have kids and I don't.

When: when the baby's hungry.
Where: babies don't care. When they're hungry they want to be fed or else.

1. I never breastfed. It is impossible for me to do so since I dont have the necessary glands to do it.
2. My wife bottlefed.
3. My question was more along the lines of what public places are acceptable for doing this and which ones are not.
Obviously the time do it it is whenever the baby is hungry. However, when I am at a resturant or other public place, I do not want to see some woman pop out a breast and feed her child while she is sitting at her table. In my opinion, it should be a private affair.
Thoughts?

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 03:18 AM
I think it can be done in any public place as long as it is done discreetly. At the restaurant where I work a woman was breastfeeding her baby at the table and you couldnt see anything, you could barely tell she was breastfeeding. It didn't disturb me or bother me at all.

Phlegethon
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 10:42 AM
I think it can be done in any public place as long as it is done discreetly. At the restaurant where I work a woman was breastfeeding her baby at the table and you couldnt see anything, you could barely tell she was breastfeeding. It didn't disturb me or bother me at all.

Even if not done discreetly it would not bother me. But then I am not a goddamn Puritan yankee. ;)

cosmocreator
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 06:34 PM
You really have to wonder why it's more socially acceptable to see a baby being fed a jar of baby food -- half of which is on his face and clothing -- than to see him suckling his mother. Oh no, we might see a woman's breast. And womens' breast are sinful things. Plus all those mudslim Arabs might go crazy because they don't get to see womens' breast.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 07:26 PM
yeah, one of them might go nuts and scream "FOR ALLAH" right before he suicide-bombs the place to make sure the unholiness does not spread...

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Even if not done discreetly it would not bother me. But then I am not a goddamn Puritan yankee. ;)

you really hate those yankees dont you? :lol

Scáthach
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 09:35 PM
hmm a lot of mothers dont want to do it so publicly anyway, im quite sure when the time comes i would prefer to do it discreetly. anyway, today i was soooo sweet and charming that i let a black woman breastfeed her baby in the fitting rooms of the clothes shop i work in, she asked....

Fenris
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 09:39 PM
yeah, one of them might go nuts and scream "FOR ALLAH" right before he suicide-bombs the place to make sure the unholiness does not spread...
hahaha!

Personally I don't care if a woman pops a breast out and starts feeding her child, the child needs to feed, and there's no need to get prudish about it, it's a woman taking care of her child.

The only time I find it...odd... is when a woman is breast feeding a five year old child while sat on a train solely to shut him up (a friend of mine witnessed this)

Phlegethon
Saturday, July 26th, 2003, 10:22 PM
you really hate those yankees dont you? :lol

Guilty as charged. ;)

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, July 17th, 2005, 10:27 AM
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding
According to the AAP, "Human milk is species-specific, and all substitute feeding preparations differ markedly from it, making human milk uniquely superior for infant feeding. Exclusive breastfeeding is the reference or normative model against which all alternative feeding methods must be measured with regard to growth, health, development, and all other short- and long-term outcomes. In addition, human milk-fed premature infants receive significant benefits with respect to host protection and improved developmental outcomes compared with formula-fed premature infants… Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child."

A.A.P. Breastfeeding Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk Pediatrics Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005

(http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;115/2/496)

The American Dietetic Association promotes breastfeeding
The ADA also believes that "the bonding that occurs during breastfeeding makes it a special choice." The ADA actively promotes breastfeeding, stating that "It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that broad-based efforts are needed to break the barriers to breastfeeding initiation and duration. Exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months and breastfeeding with complementary foods for at least 12 months is the ideal feeding pattern for infants. Increases in initiation and duration are needed to realize the health, nutritional, immunological, psychological, economical, and environmental benefits of breastfeeding."

ADA Website: ADA Website: http://www.eatright.org/Public/NutritionInformation/92_8236.cfm (http://www.promom.org/101/ADA%20Website:%20http://www.eatright.org/Public/NutritionInformation/92_8236.cfm)

Breast milk is more digestible than formula
"In recent years nutritionists have voiced concern about overly high levels of protein in the American diet. Since cow's milk contains about twice as much protein as human milk, formula-fed babies usually receive more protein than they need (much of it in the form of the less digestible casein). The stools of formula-fed babies are so bulky because the babies cannot absorb so much protein, and excrete the excess in their stool, whereas breast-fed babies absorb virtually 100% of the protein in human milk."

The Complete Book Of Breastfeeding M.S. Eiger. MD, S. Wendkos Olds, Copyright 1999, Workman Publishing Co., Inc., 708 Broadway, New York, NY 10003

Not breastfeeding increases mother's risk of breast cancer
Many studies have shown that women who breastfeed have lower risks of developing breast cancer. Recently, data from 47 studies in 30 countries was re-examined. The study group concluded that the incidence of breast cancer in developed countries could be reduced by more than half if women had the number of births and lifetime duration of breastfeeding that have been common in developing countries until recently. According to the analysis, breastfeeding could account for almost two-thirds of this estimated reduction in breast cancer incidence.

Jernstorm, H et al "Breast-feeding and the risk of breast cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers." J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004;96:1094-1098

Lee, SY et al "Effect of lifetime lactation on breast cancer risk: a Korean women's cohort study." Int J Cancer. 2003;105:390-393

Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer (2002). "Breast cancer and breastfeeding: collaborative reanalysis of individual data from 47 epidemiological studies in 30 countries, including 50,302 women with breast cancer and 96,973 women without the disease." Lancet 360: 187-95

Zheng et al, "Lactation Reduces Breast Cancer Risk in Shandong Province, China" Am. J. Epidemiol. Dec. 2000, 152 (12): 1129

Newcomb PA, Storer BE, Longnecker MP, et al. "Lactation and a reduced risk of premenopausal breast cancer." N Engl J Med. 1994;330:81-87

Baby's suckling helps shrink mother's uterus after childbirth
The uterus of the non-breastfeeding mother will never shrink back to its pre-pregnant size. It will always remain slightly enlarged.

"Nursing will help you to regain your figure more quickly, since the process of lactation causes the uterus (which has increased during pregnancy to about 20 times its normal size) to shrink more quickly to its pre-pregnancy size. "

The Complete Book Of Breastfeeding M.S. Eiger. MD, S. Wendkos Olds, Copyright 1999, Workman Publishing Co., Inc., 708 Broadway, New York, NY 10003

Formula feeding increases baby girls' risk of developing breast cancer in later life
Women who were formula-fed as infants have higher rates of breast cancer as adults. For both premenopausal and postmenopausal breast cancer, women who were breastfed as children, even if only for a short time, had a 25% lower risk of developing breast cancer than women who were bottle-fed as infants.

Freudenheim, J. et al. 1994 "Exposure to breast milk in infancy and the risk of breast cancer". Epidemiology 5:324-331

Formula Feeding is associated with lower I.Q.
Human breast milk enhances brain development and improves cognitive development in ways that formula cannot. One study has found that the average I.Q. of 7 and 8 year old children who had been breastfed as babies was 10 points higher than their bottle fed peers. All of the children involved had been born prematurely and tube fed the human milk, indicating that the milk itself, not the act of breastfeeding, caused this difference in I.Q. level. Another study to support this statement was done in New Zealand. Here an 18 year longitudinal study of over 1,000 children found that those who were breastfed as infants had both higher intelligence and greater academic achievement than children who were infant-formula fed.

HMortensen EL et al (2002). "The association between duration of breastfeeding and adult intelligence" JAMA 287: 2365-71

Anderson JW et al (1999) "Breastfeeding and cognitive development: a meta-analysis" Am J Clin Nutr 70: 525-35

Horwood and Fergusson, "Breastfeeding and Later Cognitive and Academic Outcomes" Jan 1998 Pediatrics Vol. 101, No. 1

Lucas A., "Breast Milk and Subsequent Intelligence Quotient in Children Born Preterm". Lancet 1992;339:261-62

Wang YS, Wu SY. "The effect of exclusive breastfeeding on development and incidence of infection in infants." J Hum Lactation. 1996; 12:27-30

Breast milk is always ready and comes in a nicer package than formula does
Need we say more?

Breast milk helps pass meconium
Babies are born with a sticky tar-like substance called meconium in their intestines. Colostrum, or early milk, is uniquely designed to help move this substance through the infant's body.

Breast milk contains immunities to diseases and aids in the development of baby's immune system.
Formula provides neither of these benefits. "Breastfed babies have fewer illnesses because human milk transfers to the infant a mother's antibodies to disease. About 80% of the cells in breast milk are macrophages, cells that kill bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Breastfed babies are protected in varying degrees from a number of illnesses including, pneumonia, botulism, bronchitis, staphylococcal infections, influenza, ear infections, and German measles. Furthermore, mothers produce antibodies to what ever disease is present in their environment, making their milk custom-designed to fight diseases their babies are exposed to as well."

Williams RD, "Breast-Feeding Best Bet for Babies",

U.S. Food and Drug Administration Statement: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_brstfeed.html

Koutras, A.K., "Fecal Secretory Immunoglobulin A in Breast Milk vs. Formula Feeding in Early Infancy". J. Ped Gastro Nutr 1989.

Breastfeeding satisfies baby's emotional needs and increases bonding between mother and baby
All babies need to be held. There is no more comforting feeling for an infant of any age than being held close and cuddled while breastfeeding. In fact, studies have shown that premature babies are more likely to die if they are not held or stroked. Breastfeeding stimulates the release of the hormone oxytocin in the mother's body. "It is now well established that oxytocin, as well as stimulating uterine contractions and milk ejection, promotes the development of maternal behavior and also bonding between mother and offspring."

Uvnas-Moberg, Eriksson: "Breastfeeding: physiological, endocrine and behavioral adaptations caused by oxytocin and local neurogenic activity in the nipple and mammary gland." Acta Paediatrica, 1996 May, 85(5):525-30

Breast milk provides perfect infant nutrition
"Human milk is uniquely superior for infant feeding and is species-specific; all substitute feeding options differ markedly from it. The breastfed infant is the reference or normative model against which all alternative feeding methods must be measured with regard to growth, health, development, and all other short and long-term benefits."

A.A.P. Breastfeeding Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk (RE2729)

Not breastfeeding increases mother's risk of developing ovarian cancer
Based on the research, breastfeeding for a total of 12 to 24 months can reduce your risk of ovarian cancer by about one-third.

Hartage et al, "Rates and risks of ovarian cancer in subgroups of white women in the United States." Obstet Gynecol 1994 Nov; 84(5): 760-764

Rosenblatt KA, Thomas DB, "Lactation and the risk of Epithelial ovarian cancer". Int J Epidemiol. 1993;22:192-197

Gwinn ML, "Pregnancy, breastfeeding and oral contraceptives and the risk of Epithelial ovarian cancer." J. Clin. Epidemiol. 1990; 43:559-568

Nursing helps mom lose weight after baby is born
Breastfeeding requires an average of 500 extra calories per day and breastfeeding mothers who eat a normal diet lose the extra weight they gained during pregnancy faster than moms who choose to bottle feed. In one study, mothers who breastfed exclusively or partially had significantly larger reductions in hip circumference and were less above their pre-pregnancy weights at 1 month postpartum than mothers who fed formula exclusively.

Other studies have also shown that women who were overweight when they began their pregnancies can safely get closer to their ideal weight by breastfeeding in conjunction with a moderate exercise program.

DC.A. Lovelady et al "The effect of weight loss in overweight lactating women on the growth of their infants." New Eng Journal of Med, 2000; 342: 449-453

Kramer, F., "Breastfeeding reduces maternal lower body fat." J. Am Diet Assoc 1993; 93(4):429-33

Dewey KG, Heinig MJ, Nommwen LA. "Maternal weight-loss patterns during prolonged lactation. "Am J Clin Nutr 1993;58:162-166

Pre-term milk is specially designed for premature infants
"Milk produced by women who deliver prematurely differs from that produced after a full-term pregnancy. Specifically, during the first month after parturition, pre-term milk maintains a composition similar to that of colostrum.."

Hamosh, Margit, PhD, Georgetown University Medical Center "Breast-feeding: Unraveling the Mysteries of Mother's Milk".

The World Health Organization and UNICEF recommend it
"Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. As a global public health recommendation, infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health. There after, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond. Exclusive breastfeeding from birth is possible except for a few medical conditions, and unrestricted exclusive breastfeeding results in ample milk production".

"Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding", World Health Organization in collaboration with UNICEF

Breastfeeding protects against Crohn's disease (intestinal disorder)
Crohn's Disease is a chronic intestinal disorder. It is a form of inflammatory bowel disease that causes inflammation extending into the deeper layers of the intestinal wall. It is difficult to treat, but several studies have shown that breastfeeding may help babies avoid developing the disease in later life.

Rigas A, Rigas B, Blassman M, et al. "Breast-feeding and maternal smoking in the etiology of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in childhood." Ann Epidemiol. 1993;3387-392

Koletzko S, Sherman P, Corey M, et al. "Role of infant feeding practices in development of Crohn's disease in childhood." Br Med J. 1989;298:1617-1618

Formula feeding increases risk of children developing diabetes
There are many studies linking development of insulin dependant Type I diabetes (formerly referred to as "juvenile diabetes") to lack of breastfeeding. The results of a study from Finland suggest that the introduction of dairy products at an early age, and high milk consumption during childhood increase the level of cow's milk antibodies in the children's systems. This factor is associated with an increased risk of insulin dependent diabetes. Now a new study has indicated that breastfeeding in infancy may help reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes. This sort of diabetes was formerly referred to as "adult onset" diabetes, but has been mysteriously occurring in more and more youngsters.

Young, T.K. et al. Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2002; 156(7): 651-55

Gerstein HC. "Cow's milk exposure and type 1 diabetes mellitus". Diabetes Care. 1994;17:13-19

Virtanen et al: "Diet, Cow's milk protein antibodies and the risk of IDDM in Finnish children." Childhood Diabetes in Finland Study Group. Diabetologia, Apr 1994, 37(4):381-7

Virtanen SM, Rasanen L, Aro A, et al. "Infant feeding in Finnish children <7 yr of age with newly diagnosed IDDM" Diabetes Care, 1991;14:415-417

Breastfeeding baby helps decrease insulin requirements in diabetic mothers
Reduction in insulin dose postpartum was significantly greater in those who were breastfeeding than those who were bottle feeding

Davies, H.A., "Insulin Requirements of Diabetic Women who Breast Feed." British Medical Journal, 1989

Breastfeeding may help stabilize progress of maternal endometriosis
Endometriosis is a disease in which the endometrial tissue in a woman's body begins to form in places other than her uterus, such as on her ovaries, fallopian tubes, and the outer surface of the uterus. This tissue continues to function like uterine tissue would in the uterus, and sheds once a month during the woman's menstrual cycle. Since there is no vaginal outlet for this blood and tissue, painful complications, including sterility, may result. There is much clinical research showing that pregnancy temporarily stops the progress of this disease. Many women say that the disease also seems to be alleviated by breastfeeding. It certainly makes sense that the delay in the return of a woman's menstrual cycle would be desirable in preventing the endometriosis from starting up again. Some women even claim a permanent cure.

Annie Havard, "Breastfeeding - a cure for endometriosis", Allaiter ajourd'hui, Quarterly Bulletin of LLL France, No. 25, Oct. - Dec. 1995

Baby's suckling helps prevent post-partum hemorrhage in mother
Nursing her baby causes the mother's body to release oxytocin, which stimulates contractions which help shrink the uterus back to pre-pregnancy size while expelling the placenta. These contractions also shut off the maternal blood vessels that formerly fed the baby and discourage excessive bleeding. Women who choose not to breastfeed must be given synthetic oxytocin to insure against hemorrhaging.

Chua S, et al. "Influence of breastfeeding and nipple stimulation on postpartum uterine activity." Br J Obstet Gynaecol 1994; 101:804-805

Not breastfeeding increases mother's risk of developing endometrial cancer
A World Health Organization study has shown that the longer a woman breastfeeds, the less likely she is to get endometrial cancer.

Rosenblatt, KA et al "Prolonged lactation and endometrial cancer" Int. J. Epidemiol. 1995; 24:499-503

Formula feeding increases chances of baby developing allergies
"Breastfed babies have fewer allergies than artificially fed babies. This is especially important if your family has a history of allergies. Many babies are allergic to cow's milk formulas. Some babies are even allergic to soy formulas. Breastfeeding protects against other allergies, such as atopic eczema, food allergies, and respiratory allergies."

Wiggins, PK , Dettwyler, KA" Breastfeeding: A Mother's Gift", July 1, 1998 ed., Chapter 1, L.A. Publishing Co.

Saarinen UM, Kajossari M. "Breastfeeding as prophylaxis against atopic disease: prospective follow-up study until 17 years old." Lancet. 1995;346:1065-1069

Breast milk lowers risk of baby developing asthma
A number of studies have linked lack of breastfeeding to asthma. According to one study, six year old children were more likely to have asthma if they had not been exclusively breastfed for at least 4 months.

Oddy W.H., et al BMJ 1999;319:815-819 ( 25 September )

Formula feeding increases baby's risk of otitis media (ear infections)
Research has shown that ear infections are up to 3-4 times more prevalent in formula-fed infants.

Aniansson G, Alm B, Andersson B, et al. "A prospective cohort study on breast-feeding and otitis media in Swedish infants". Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1994; 13:183-188

Duncan, B et al "Exclusive breastfeeding for at least four months protects against Otitis Media", Pediatrics 91(1993): 897-872

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, July 17th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Formula feeding may increase risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
Sadly, as of now, researchers have not yet discovered any one factor to account for SIDS. However, there are a number of studies showing a possible link between lack of breastfeeding and SIDS. A Swedish study has found that babies who were breastfed exclusively for less than 8 weeks had a 3 - 5 times greater risk of dying from SIDS than babies who were breastfed exclusively for four months

Horn, RS et al "Comparison of evoked arousability in breast and formula fed infants." 2004 Arch Dis Child.; 89(1):22-25

Alm et al, "Breastfeeding and the Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in Scandanavia." June 2002 Arch of Dis in Child. 86: 400-402.

McVea, KL et al "The role of breastfeeding in sudden infant death syndrome." J Hum Lact. 2000;16:13-20

Fredrickson, DD et al., "Relationship between Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Breastfeeding Intensity and Duration." Am. Journal of Diseases in Children, 1993: 147:460

Ford RPK, et al ."Breastfeeding and the Risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome." International Journal of Diseases in Children, 1993, 22(5):885-890

Taylor BJ, Mitchell EA, et al. "Breastfeeding and the risk of sudden infant death syndrome. Int J. Epidemiol. 1993;22:885-890

Scragg LK, Mitchell EA, Tonkin SL, et al. "Evaluation of the cot death prevention programme in South Auckland." NZ Med J. 1993;106:8-10

Breastfeeding protects baby against diarrheal infections
Numerous studies have shown that diarrheal infections are much more common in formula-fed babies. This is true throughout the world, despite a common misconception that only people living in areas with contaminated water need be concerned with this issue. Such infections are more likely to be fatal in developing nations, but all formula-fed infants are at greater risk than their breastfed peers.

Betran et al; "Ecological Study of effect of breastfeeding on infant mortality in Latin America." Br Med J 2001; 323:1-5

Dewey KG, Heinig MJ, Nommsen-Rivers LA. "Differences in morbidity between breast-fed and formula-fed infants." Pediatr. 1995;126:696-702

Beaudry M, Dufour R, Marcoux S. "Relation Between infant feeding and infections during the first six months of life." J Pediatr. 1995; 126:191-197

Howie PW, Forsyth JS, Ogston SA, et al. "Protective effect of breast feeding against infection." Br Med J. 1990;300:11-16

Breastfeeding protects baby against bacterial meningitis
Meningitis is an infection which causes the inflammation of the membrane covering the brain and spinal cord. It can be caused by a type of bacteria called Hemophilus influenzae type b (HiB). Breastfeeding is protective against infections caused by this bacteria, and the meningitis which may result.

Cochi SL, Fleming DW, Hightower AW, et al. "Primary invasive Haemophilus influenzae type b disease: a population-based assessment of risk factors." J Pediatr. 1986;108:997-896

Istre GR, Conner JS, Broome CV, et al. "Risk factors for primary invasive Haemophilus influenzae disease: increased risk from day care attendance and school-aged household members." J Pediatr. 1985;106:190-198

Breastfeeding protects baby against respiratory infections
Breastfeeding effectively protects nurslings from many life-threatening respiratory infection including those caused by rotaviruses. Studies have shown breastfed babies are less than half as likely to be hospitalized with pneumonia or bronchiolitis, and have one-fifth the number of lower respiratory tract infections compared to formula-fed infants. According to a recent meta-analysis of studies from developed countries, the risk of severe respiratory tract illness resulting in hospitalization is more than tripled among infants who are not breastfed, compared with those who are exclusively breastfed for four months.

Oddy, WH et al "Breast feeding and respiratory morbidity in infancy: a birth cohort study" Archives of Disease in Childhood 2003;88:224-228

Galton Bachrach et al (2003) Breastfeeding and the Risk of Hospitalization for Respiratory Disease in Infancy" Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:237-243

Grover M et al "Effect of human milk prostaglandins and lactoferrin on respiratory syncytial virus and rotavirus" Acta Paediatr. 1997; 86: 315-316

Cunningham, Allan S. MD "Breastfeeding, Bottle-feeding and Illness - An Annotated Bibliography", 1996.

Wright AL, Holberg CH, Taussig LM, et al. "Relationship of infant feeding to recurrent wheezing at age 6 years." Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1995;149:758-763

Piscane A, et al "Breastfeeding and acute lower respiratory infections" Acta Paediatr. 1994; 83: 714-718

Formula fed babies have a higher risk of developing certain childhood cancers
In a study done by researchers at the University of Minnesota it was found that babies who were breast fed for at least one month had a 21% less chance of getting leukemia than formula fed babies. The risk was 30% for children breast fed for 6 months.

Shu X-O, et al. "Breastfeeding and the risk of childhood acute leukemia". J Natl Cancer Inst 1999; 91: 1765-72

Breastfeeding decreases chances of developing rheumatoid arthritis
Recent results from a Swedish study indicate that breastfed babies were less likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis as adults. An earlier University of North Carolina/Duke University study had indicated breastfed children were only 40% as likely to develop juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

Jacobsson LTH et al "Perinatal Characteristics and risk of rheumatoid arthritis" BMJ 2003; 326: 1068-1069

"Mother's Milk: An Ounce of Prevention?" Arthritis Today May-June 1994

Breastfeeding decreases child's chances of contracting Hodgkins disease
Hodgkins disease is a type of lymphoma, or cancer of the lymph system. It can develop in children, although it is less likely to do so in children who were breastfed as infants.

"An Exploratory Study of Environmental and Medical Factors Potentially Related to Childhood Cancer." Medical & Pediatric Oncology, 1991; 19(2):115-21

Breastfeeding protects baby against some vision defects
In a study in Bangladesh, breastfeeding was a protective factor for night blindness among preschool-aged children in both rural and urban areas. Breast milk is generally the main, if not the only source, of vitamin A during a child's first 24 months of life (or for the duration of breastfeeding).

Bloem, M. et al. "The role of universal distribution of vitamin A capsules in combating vitamin A deficiency in Bangladesh.: Am J Epidemiol 1995; 142(8): 843-55

Birch E, et al. "Breastfeeding and optimal visual development." J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 1993;30:33-8

Breastfeeding decreases chances of osteoporosis
According to many studies, both breastfeeding mothers and their children will be less at risk for development of this disease. One study found that the odds that a woman with osteoporosis did not breastfeed her baby was 4 times higher than for a control woman. In another study, Dr. Alan Lucas, MRC Childhood Nutrition Research Center of London, found that 8-year-olds who were fed formula rather than breast fed as infants, had less developed bone mineralization than those fed breast milk. "Bone mineral density decreases during lactation, but after weaning showed higher bone mineral density than those who did not breastfeed."

Kalwart HJ and Specker BL "Bone mineral loss during lactation and recovery after weaning." Obstet. Gynecol. 1995; 86:26-32

Blaauw, R. et al. "Risk factors for development of osteoporosis in a South African population." SAMJ 1994; 84:328-32

Melton LJ, Bryant SC, Wahner HW, et al. "Influence of breastfeeding and other reproductive factors on bone mass later in life." Osteoporos Int. 1993;22:684-691

Cumming RG, Klineberg RJ. "Breastfeeding and other reproductive factors and the risk of hip fractures in elderly woman." Int J Epidemiol 1993;22:684-691

Breast milk aids in proper intestinal development
The gastrointestinal system of a newborn baby is not yet mature. It is still permeable, allowing bacteria, viruses and toxins to pass through. This intestinal permeability decreases more slowly in formula-fed babies. According to Dr. Jack Newman "...certain hormones in milk (such as cortisol) and smaller proteins (including epidermal growth factor, nerve growth factor, insulin-like growth factor and somatomedin C) act to close up the leaky mucosal lining of the newborn, making it relatively impermeable to unwanted pathogens and other potentially harmful agents. Indeed, animal studies have demonstrated that postnatal development of the intestine occurs faster in animals fed their mother's milk. And animals that also receive colostrum, containing the highest concentrations of epidermal growth factor, mature even more rapidly."

Newman, J, MD, FRCPC "How Breast milk Protects Newborns" http://www.promom.org/bf_info/sci_am.htm

Shulman et al "Early feeding, feeding tolerance and lactase activity in preterm infants." J Pediatr 1998; 133:645-649

Catassi et al "Intestinal permeability changes coloring the first month; effect of natural versus artificial feeding." J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1995; 21: 383-386

Cow's milk is an intestinal irritant
According to Dr. William Sears, MD, cow's milk should not be given as a beverage to infants under one year of age. "Cow's milk can irritate the lining of your infant's intestines, causing tiny losses of iron. This can contribute to iron-deficiency anemia."

The Baby Book - Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby From Birth to Age Two c. 1992, 2003 William Sears, MD and Martha Sears, RN, Little, Brown & Co.

Formula-fed babies are more at risk for obesity in later life
A study of 32200 Scottish 3 year old children found that the incidence of obesity was significantly lower among those who had been breastfed, after adjusting for socioeconomic status, birthweight and gender. Another study, this one of Czech children, found that the even older children (6 -14) who had been breastfed were less at risk for overweight/obesity. Additionally, a German study found that 4.5% of formula fed children are obese, while only 0.8% of breastfed children have this condition

Armstrong, J et al, "Breastfeeding and lowering the risk of childhood obesity." Lancet 2002, 349: 2003-4

Toschke, A.M. et al, "Overweight and obesity in 6 to 14-year-old Czech children in 1991: protective effect of breast-feeding", J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2002 Dec; 141(6):764-9

von Kries, R et al, "Breastfeeding and obesity: cross sectional study." BMJ 1999; 319:147-150 (July 17)

Breastfed babies have less chance of cardiopulmonary distress while feeding
Bottle-fed babies are at increased risk of cardiopulmonary disturbances, including prolonged airway closure and obstructed respiratory breaths due to repeated swallowing. According to one study, infants can experience oxygen saturation below 90% when bottle feeding. Nine of 50 healthy term infants in one study experienced bradycardia during bottle feeding. Six of these episodes were preceded by apnea, three showed hypopnea (marked reduction in ventilation) and one had certral apnea (no respiratory efforts).

Koenig HS, Davies Am, Thach BT. "Coordination of breathing, sucking and swallowing during bottle feedings in human infants." J Appl Physiol 69: 1629: 1623-1629, 1990.

Matthew O, Clark ML, Ponske MH. Apnea, bradycardia, and cyanosis during oral feeding in term neonates." J Pediatr 106:857, 1985

Breastfed babies have less chance of developing ulcerative colitis
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease that causes ulceration and inflammation of the inner lining of the colon and rectum. A number of studies have shown that breastfed babies are less likely to develop this disease.

Rigas A, Rigas B, Blassman M, et al. "Breast-feeding and maternal smoking in the etiology of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in childhood." Ann Epidemiol. 1993;3387-392

Breast milk protects against hemophilus b. bacteria
Hemophilus influenzae type b is a bacteria which can grow in the respiratory tract with no symptoms, but may spread into the throat, ears or blood and cause grave illness. Breastfed babies are much less vulnerable to such an overgrowth. . Interestingly, a 1999 Swedish study found that even 5 - 10 years later, children who had been breastfed were much less likely to contract hemophilus b.

Silfverdal et al, "Protective effects of breastfeeding: an ecological study of haemophilus influenzae (HI) meningitis and breastfeeding in a Swedish population." Int J Epidem 1999; 28:152-6

Cochi SL, Fleming DW, Hightower AW, et al. "Primary invasive Haemophilus influenzae type b disease: a population-based assessment of risk factors." J Pediatr. 1986;108:997-896

Istre GR, Conner JS, Broome CV, et al. "Risk factors for primary invasive Haemophilus influenzae disease: increased risk from day care attendance and school-aged household members." J Pediatr. 1985;106:190-198

Breastfed babies require shorter pre- and post-surgical fasting
Breastfeeding may continue until three hours before arrival time at the hospital in healthy children having elective surgery.

Schreiner, M.S. "Preoperative and Postoperative fasting in children." Ped Clinics N Amer 41 (1); 111-20 (1994)

Breastfeeding results in less sick days for parents
Since breastfed babies are statistically healthier than their formula fed peers, the parents of breastfed babies spend less time out of work taking care of sick children.

(Kaiser Permanente: Internal research to determine benefits of sponsoring an official lactation program - 1995)

Breastfeeding enhances vaccine effectiveness
Breastfed infants showed better serum and secretory responses to oral and parenteral vaccines than those formula-fed.

Han-Zoric, M., "Antibody responses to parenteral and oral vaccines are impaired by conventional and low protein formulas as compared to breastfeeding." Acta Paediatr Scand 1990; 79:1137-42

Breastfed babies have less chance of developing necrotizing enterocolitis
This disease occurs most commonly in premature or sick newborns. In NEC the lining of the intestinal wall dies and sloughs off. Premature infants fed their own mother's milk or banked human milk are one sixth to one tenth as likely to develop NEC. One Australian study has estimated that 83% of NEC cases may be attributed to lack of breastfeeding.

Updegrove, K "Necrotizing Enteroclolitis: The evidence for use of human milk in prevention and treatment." J Hum Lact 2004; 20: 335-339

Drane, D. "Breastfeeding and formula feeding: a preliminary economic analysis" Breastfeed Rev 1997; 5:7-15

Convert RF, Barman N, Comanico RS, et al. "Prior enteral nutrition with human milk protects against intestinal perforation in infants who develop necrotizing enterocolitis." Pediatr Res. 1995; 37:305A. Abstract

Lucas A, Cole TJ. "Breast milk and neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis." Lancet. 1990; 336:519-1523

Breastfeeding contributes to optimal child spacing
First of all, please know that it is certainly possible to get pregnant while you are still breastfeeding. However, many breastfeeding women do not ovulate for the first 6 months or so following the birth of a new baby. This is true only for those who are exclusively breastfeeding (no supplements or solid food), and have not yet gotten their periods back following childbirth. Night nursing encourages longer amenorrhoea (periodlessness). If you really don't want to get pregnant again, use some back up birth control even if you haven't gotten your period again. Unless you are carefully following a natural family planning program, you will have no way of knowing when your first ovulation will occur, and by the time you figure it out you may be expecting! Still, generally speaking, breastfeeding contributes to optimum child spacing.

Kennedy KI, Visness CM. "Contraceptive efficacy of lactational amenorrhoea." Lancet. 1992; 339:227-230

Labbock MH, Colie C. "Puerperium and breast-feeding." Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 1992; 4:818-825

Breastfeeding is easier than using formula
After the initial start up period, breastfeeding is very easy. All you have to do is raise your shirt and let the little one latch on. No shopping for formula, bottles, and other supplies. No mixing, heating, refrigerating and cleaning up of formula. If you sleep with your baby, or sleep the baby next to your bed, you can forget about all the disturbing nighttime rituals associated with formula use. All you have to do is roll over, let the baby latch on, and go back to sleep!

Breast milk is free
Any way you look at it, you'll spend a lot more money if you choose to formula feed. The added calories a nursing mother must take in are a negligible expense, and nursing clothes are optional. If you need to pump, excellent pumps are available for between $50 and $225. A good pump can be used for more than one child, so they are really an investment. Do be sure to buy a pump manufactured by a company specializing in their manufacture. Beware of pumps made by formula companies. Many woman report these pumps to be inefficient at best, and painful at worst.

Formula is expensive
It presently costs upward of $1,200 dollars per year to formula feed an infant in the United States. If you factor in the added medical cost you are statistically likely to incur, that brings the cost up to around $2,500 per year. If your baby happens to require a hypo-allergenic formula, you will have to pay considerably more

Formula costs the government (and taxpayers) millions of dollars
The U.S. government spends more than $2,665,715 a year to provide formula for the children of non-breastfeeding mothers participating in the WIC supplemental food program. Of course, this doesn't take into consideration the additional costs of caring for those infants who are statistically much more likely to get sick. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, higher breastfeeding rates could reduce US health care costs by $3.6 billion per year.

Riordan, J "The cost of not breastfeeding: a commentary" J Hum Lact 1997; 13(2) 93-97

A.A.P. Breastfeeding Policy Statement: Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk (http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;%20115/2/496) Pediatrics Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005

(http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;115/2/496)

Breastfed babies require fewer doctor visits
Since breastfed babies are statistically healthier, they see the doctor less often.

(Kaiser Permanente: Internal research to determine benefits of sponsoring an official lactation program - 1995)

Breast milk always has the right proportions of fat, carbohydrates and protein
Formula companies are constantly adjusting these proportions looking for the best composition. The reality is that a mother's milk composition changes from feeding to feeding depending on the needs of her child. No formula can do that! According to the American Dietetic Association "human milk provides optimal nutrition to the infant with its dynamic composition and the appropriate balance of nutrients provided in easily digestible and bioavailable forms."

J Am Diet Assoc 2001; 101: 1213

Frans_Jozef
Sunday, July 17th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Breast milk acts like a natural tranquilizer for baby
Mother's milk contains chemicals that seem to work like "knock-out drops" for tired babies. Even if baby doesn't fall asleep, he/she will certainly calm down and become more agreeable. If you choose to breastfeed into toddlerhood, you may find that the "terrible twos" never materialize.

Breastfeeding acts like a natural tranquilizer for mom
Nursing mothers often joke about falling asleep on the job. The sleep inducing qualities of nursing a baby are remarkable. In fact, some new mothers have to be careful to hold a nursing baby in such a way that they will not drop the child when they inevitably nod off. Nursing in bed is a great solution. Even pumping at work can be a great way to calm down and get refocused during a stressful day. All this relaxation is caused by the hormone oxytocin, which is released each time a mother breastfeeds. It decreases blood pressure and calms the mother. Interestingly, one study found that there were far fewer incidences of domestic violence and sexual abuse in breastfeeding families

The Breastfeeding Book, Copyright 2000, M. Sears, R.N. and Wm. Sears, M.D.. Little Brown and Co.

Acheston, L, "Family violence and breastfeeding" Arch. Fam. Med. 1995, 4:650-652

Breast milk tastes better than formula
Human breast milk is sweet and light. Formula is pasty and bland. Which would you rather eat?

Breastfed babies are healthier over-all
Kaiser Permanente, one of the largest HMOs in the U.S. has conducted internal research to determine the value of the company lactation support program. This research found that breastfed babies had many health advantages over formula-fed babies, including better overall health.

Breastfed babies are less likely to die before their third birthday
Not only are breastfed babies less likely to contract life-threatening diseases, they are better able to combat any illnesses that may develop.
Van Den Bogaard, C. "Relationship Between Breast Feeding in Early Childhood and Morbidity in a general Population."Fan Med, 1991; 23:510-515

Breast milk is always the right temperature
Severe burns to babies' mouths have occurred due to improper heating of artificial milks. Even when it's done correctly, it's never fun to try to warm a bottle for a fussing baby

Breastfeeding mothers spend less time and money on doctor visits
In 1995 the Kaiser-Permanente Health Maintenance Organization in North Carolina found that formula-fed babies averaged over $1,400 more per year in additional health care costs than breastfed infants.

Fewer waste packaging products
No wrappers, canisters, disposable bottles etc...
"If every child in America were bottle-fed, almost 86,000 tons of tin would be needed to produce 550 million cans for one year's worth of formula. If every mother in Great Britain breastfed, 3000 tons of paper (used for formula labels) would be saved in a year. But formula is not the only problem. Bottles and nipples require plastic, glass, rubber, and silicon; production of these materials can be resource-intensive and often leads to end-products that are not-recyclable. All these products use natural resources, cause pollution in their manufacture and distribution and create trash in their packaging, promotion, and disposal."

"Mother Nature Loves Breastmilk" D. Michels, Pub. various periodicals, available on Internet at http://members.aol.com/diamichels/greenbm.htm

No bottles to tote
Unless you're pumping and transporting the milk for later. Even then there are fewer bottles to deal with.

Breastfeeding may lower the risk of developing high cholesterol
A recent British study found that breastfeeding seems to be associated with lower levels of damaging cholesterol in adulthood. The authors concluded that breastfeeding may have long-term benefits for cardiovascular health.

Owen CG et al (2002) "Infant Feeding and Blood Cholesterol: A Study in Adolescents and a Systemic Review" Pediatrics 110: 597-608

No need to refrigerate
Of course, breast milk stays fresh because it's made on demand. Even pumped breast milk keeps for a long time outside of the fridge.

Check out the guidelines for storing breast milk at http://www.medela.com (http://www.medela.com/breastfeeding/howto/storing.html)

Cow's milk is designed for baby cows, while human milk is designed for human babies
Human milk contains completely different proportions of protein, fat, carbohydrates. Cows milk is designed to help put on weight quickly, grow amazingly fast, and develop only as much brain power as a cow needs. After all, a calf is able to stand and walk on the day it is born. The natural hormones in cows milk are geared toward cows, not humans. The fact that human beings can even partially digest the milk of another species in sort of amazing when you stop to think about it. Human milk is designed for baby humans. It's designed to build brains, and to foster gradual physical growth

Breast milk aids in the proper development of a baby's gastrointestinal tract
"The cells of the mature intestinal lining are tightly packed together so that potential allergens cannot seep through into the bloodstream. But in the early months, the lining of a baby's immature intestines is more like a sieve, allowing potential allergens to get through, which sets the infant…up for allergies and infections. Breast milk contains a special protein called imunoglobulin A (IgA), which acts like a protective sealant in the digestive tract…Breast milk also contains a special substance called epidermal growth factor (EGF), which promotes the growth of the cells lining baby's intestines as well as other surface cells, such as the cells of the skin."

The Breastfeeding Book, Copyright 2000, M. Sears, R.N. and Wm. Sears, M.D.. Little Brown and Co.

Also see La Leche League's FAQ's (http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html)

Breast milk provides natural pain relief for baby
Breast milk actually contains chemicals that suppress pain (endorphins). Aside from this, the comfort a baby derives from being held close and suckling is remarkable. Many a bruise or scrape has been soothed away almost instantly by a few moments of nursing. If you choose to have your child vaccinated, it is a good idea to nurse immediately after he/she receives a vaccination. This soothes the hurt, as well as enhancing the vaccine's effectiveness.

Human milk is the perfect food for a sick infant
When a formula fed baby gets a gastrointestinal ailment they are usually put on an artificial electrolyte solution because formula is too hard for them to digest. Breast milk, however, is easily digested, and soothing to the intestines, so there is no need for artificial and expensive electrolyte solutions. If a baby gets a respiratory illness, formula may cause even more mucus. In contrast, breast milk contains antibodies to these ailments, as well as being highly digestible and not contributing to excess mucous formation.

A breastfeeding Mom gets more sleep
Especially if she sleeps with baby, but even if she doesn't. No bottles to prepare and warm. Less time comforting a crying baby suffering from gas and allergies.

Babies that nurse are happier at night
A baby that gets its night time needs met quickly is more likely to get right back to sleep than a baby who has to wait for a bottle while crying and swallowing air.

More sleep for dad
Again, even if he helps with baby burping, diapering, and baby toting, there are no bottles to deal with. Also, breastfed babies tend to need much less burping after the first few months.

Less equipment to maintain and store
Those bottles, measuring devices, sterilizing equipment and other gadgets take up shelf space and they all require cleaning.

Less equipment to buy
Unless you pump. Even if you do have to buy a pump and the basic bottle kit, the savings in cost of formula and additional medical attention make breastfeeding financially well worth trying.

Breastmilk has never been recalled due to manufacturing problems
Formula has been, sometimes after causing injury or death. There were 22 "significant" recalls of formula including 7 potentially life threatening situations.
Babbit, V, "FDA Recalls Baby Formula, 1998", Breastfeeding.com, Inc.

Fresh breast milk is never contaminated with bacteria
In fact, it has antibacterial properties.

No need to worry about which brand is better
Each artificial breast milk formula is different from all its competitors, but none of them come close to duplicating the real thing. It can be very stressful for formula feeding mothers to try to determine which brand is the best of the lot. No matter which formula is used "it is increasingly apparent that infant formula can never duplicate human milk. Human milk contains living cells, hormones, active enzymes, immunoglobulins and compounds with unique structures that cannot be replicated in infant formula."

(Quoted from FDA pediatric-nutrition researchers at Abbott Laboratories, writing in March, 1994 issue of Endocrine Regulations.)

No need to worry about adding contaminated water
Even in regions of the world where bacterial contamination is not an issue, water can contain dangerous elements like arsenic, lead and aluminum. These contaminants can become concentrated if water is boiled to sterilize it before being added to formula.

Breastfed babies get fewer stomach infections
According to a study of 17,046 mother and infant pairs in Belarus, breastfed infants had a significant reduction in risk of gastro-intestinal infection

Kramer et al "Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial" JAMA 2001; 285: 413-420

Facilitates proper dental and jaw development
Nursing is good for a baby's tooth and jaw development. Babies drinking from the human breast have to use as much as 60 times more energy to get food than do those drinking from a bottle. Obviously, a nursing baby's jaws are receiving much more exercise as she pulls her mother's milk into her mouth. Apparently, this constant gentle pulling assists the growth of well-formed jaws and straight, healthy teeth. Among breastfed infants, the longer the duration of nursing, the less chance of dental malocclusion.

The Complete Book Of Breastfeeding M.S. Eiger. MD, S. Wendkos Olds, Copyright 1972, 1987 Comstock, Inc., Workman Publishing Co., Inc., 708 Broadway, New York, NY 10003

Labbok, M.H. "Does Breastfeeding Protect against Malocclusion? An Analysis of the 1981 Child Health Supplement to the National Health Interview Survey" American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 1987

Breastfed babies have less tooth decay
Breast milk contains bacteria fighting cells that may help kill the bacteria that cause tooth decay. Furthermore, bottle-fed babies "are at increased risk for baby bottle caries, a destructive dental condition which occurs when a baby is put to bed with a bottle containing formula, milk, juice or other fluids high in carbohydrates. Extensive dental repair may be required at a cost of thousands of dollars." Furthermore, breast milk contains bacteria fighting cells that may help kill the bacteria that cause tooth decay.

Loesche WJ, "Nutrition and dental decay in infants." Am J Clin Nutr 41; 423-435, 1985

Less money spent on corrective orthodontia
The longer you breastfeed, the more likely the babies teeth will come in properly. If the teeth come in straight, there's no need to fix them.

Leite ICG, et al. Associação entre aleitamento materno e hábitos de sucção não-nutritivos. Revista da Associação Paulista dos Cirurgiões Dentistas 1999;53:151-5

Paunio P, Rautava P, Sillanpaa M. The Finnish Family Competence Study: the effects of living conditions on sucking habits in 3-year-old Finnish children and the association between these habits and dental occlusion. Acta Odontol Scand 1993;51:23-9.

Degano MP, Degano RA. Breastfeeding and oral health. A primer for the dental practitioner. NY State Dent J 1993;59:30-2.

Better speech development
Tongue thrust problems often develop among bottle-fed babies as they try to slow down the flow of milk coming from an artificial nipple. This can lead to speech problems later on. "Early weaning may lead to the interruption of proper oral motor development provoking alterations to the posture and strength of the speech organs and harming the functions of chewing, swallowing, breathing, and articulation of speech sounds. The lack of physiological sucking on the breast may interfere in the oral motor development, possibly causing malocclusion, oral respiration and oral motor disorders."

Neiva et al, J Pediatr (Rio J) 2003;79(1):07-12

Less chance of baby getting eczema
A number of studies have indicated that breastfed babies are less likely to develop eczema - an itchy skin rash

Kramer, M et al "Promotion of breastfeeding Intervention Trial" JAMA 2001; 285: 413-420

Saarinen UM, Kajosaari M "Breastfeeding as prophylaxis against atopic disease: prospective follow-up study until 17 years of age." Lancet. 1995; 346:1065-69.

Breastfed babies have great skin
You don't have to refer to the many studies showing that breastfed babies have less eczema and fewer rashes. Check out the skin of a breastfed baby and see what you think.

Less spit-up
Breastfed newborns demonstrate gastroesophageal reflux (spit-up) episodes of significantly shorter duration that formula fed newborns

Heacock, H.J. "Influence of Breast vs. Formula Milk in Physiologic Gastroesophageal Reflux in Healthy Newborn Infants" Jour. Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr, 1992 January; 14(1): 41-6

Breastfeeding is better for premature infants
A recent Israeli study confirmed that the more breast milk premature babies receive, the more responsive they are. Infants receiving substantial amounts of breast milk showed better neurobehavioral profiles - in particular motor maturity. "These infants were also more alert during social interactions, and their mothers provided more affectionate touch. In addition to its nutritional value, breast milk may be related to improved maternal mood and interactive behaviors, thereby indirectly contributing to development in premature infants."

Eidelman et al, Dev Psychobiol, 2003 Sept; 43(2): 109-19

Breast milk contains no genetically engineered materials
Most consumers are completely unaware of how much genetically engineered food they are consuming because the U.S. government does not require this food to be labeled as such. Genetic ID, a company in Fairfield, Iowa, tested four soy-based baby formulas for genetically engineered ingredients. All four, Carnation Alsoy, Similac Neocare, Isomil and Enfamil Prosobee, tested positive.

(See "Biotechnology's Bounty", M.Burros, N.Y. Times 05/21/97

Breast Milk contains no synthetic growth hormones
Since many cows in the U.S. are now routinely ingesting synthetic growth hormones to artificially increase their milk production, it stands to reason that these hormones are also getting into the U.S. formulas.

Lack of breastfeeding associated with multiple sclerosis in later life
Although thought to be multifactorial in origin, and without a clearly defined etiology, lack of breastfeeding does appear to be associated with an increased incidence of multiple sclerosis.

Pisacana A, et al "Breastfeedig and multiple sclerosis" BMJ 1994; 308: 1411-2 (28 May)

Less chance of inguinal hernia
The inguinal canal brings down the spermatic cord and certain vessels to the groin area. A hernia is a defect in the opening where these things pass through from the abdomen to the groin because the canal opening gets too big or tears off. The hernia allows abdominal contents to get down into the groin area.

Breastfeeding is protective against inguinal hernias. For unknown reasons breastfed babies experience significantly fewer of them. Human milk contains gonadotropin releasing hormone, which may affect the development of a baby boy's testicles.

Pisacane, A. "Breast-feeding and inguinal hernia" Journal of Pediatrics 1995: Vol 127, No. 1, pp 109-111

Better cognitive development for low birth weight babies
In 771 low birth weight infants, babies whose mothers chose to provide breast milk had an 8 point advantage in mean Bayley's mental developmental index over infants of mothers choosing not to do so.
Morley, R., "Mothers Choice to provide Breast Milk and Developmental Outcome". Arch Dis Child, 1988

Better social development
The psychomotor and social development of breastfed babies clearly differs from that of bottle fed ones and leads at the age of 12 months to significant advantages of the psychomotor and social capabilities.
Baumgartner, C.,"Psychomotor and Social Development of Breast Fed and Bottle Fed babies During their First year of Life". Acta Paediatrica Hungarica, 1984

Decreased risk of baby developing urinary tract infections
Breastfed babies have fewer urinary tract infections than their bottle fed peers. According to one study, infants who were exclusively bottle fed were more than five times as likely to develop urinary tract infections compared with those that were breastfed

Pisacane A, et al "Breastfeeding and Urinary Tract Infection" J Pediatr 1992 120: 87-89

Suckling optimizes hand-to-eye coordination
It isn't completely clear why, but breastfed infants are able to see and manipulate objects quicker than their formula fed counterparts. This is one of the many benefits of breastfeeding that are still being explored.

Baumgartner, C., "Psychomotor and Social Development of Breast Fed and Bottle Fed babies During their First year of Life". Acta Paediatrica Hungarica 1984; 25(4): 409-17

Breastfeeding protects mothers against anemia (iron deficiency)
Since many exclusively breastfeeding mothers do not begin to menstruate for a year or longer their iron stores are not depleted by monthly bleeding during this time.

Breastfeeding mothers spend less money on menstrual supplies
Many breastfeeding moms do not begin to menstruate again until 14 or more months after giving birth. That means for 14 months, many nursing moms don't have to buy tampons, sanitary napkins, and cramp relief medication! "Multiply this by the four million US births each year to see that over one billion sanitary products annually could be kept out of our nation's landfills and sewers. To compound the scenario, because breast milk is absorbed by babies more efficiently, breastfed babies excrete less and thus require fewer diaper changes than formula-fed babies."

"Mother Nature Loves Breastmilk" D. Michels, Pub. various periodicals, available on Internet at http://members.aol.com/diamichels/greenbm.htm

Breastfeeding is a self confidence booster for mom
There is nothing more amazing than looking at a plump six month old baby and knowing that the only nutrition this happy little creature has received has come from your own body.

Breast milk may help combat eye infections
Breast milk contains natural antibiotic qualities, and many mothers swear that a squirt in the irritated eye of their baby has cleared up the problem in short order.

Breastfeeding may lower blood pressure in Childhood
A 2004 study of 4763 British children showed that 7.5 years later, those who were breastfed as infants had lower blood pressure compared with those who were never breastfed. In another new study from the U.K., a small but important reduction in adult diastolic blood pressure is associated with having been breastfed as an infant.

Martin RM et al (2004). "Does Breast-Feeding in Infancy Lower Blood Pressure in Childhood?" The Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC). Circulation 109

Martin RM et al (2005). "Breastfeeding in Infancy and Blood Pressure in Later Life: Systematic Review and Meta Analysis." American Journal of Epidemiology 2005 161 (1): 15-26

No worry about latest ingredient discovered to be missing from formula
There is no formula that can duplicate human milk because, as the FDA recognized in a recent statement "...the exact chemical makeup of breast milk is still unknown." "Formula-fed infants depend on products which can be quite different from each other, but which are continually being found deficient in essential nutrients... These nutrients are then added, usually after damage has occurred in infants or overwhelming market pressure forces the issue."

M. Walker, R.N., International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, The Journal Of Human Lactation, Sept 1993

Much nicer diaper changes
The bowel movements of breastfed babies smell mild and inoffensive. The same can not be said about those of formula fed babies. Try changing a few formula fed babies if you are uncertain about wanting to try breastfeeding!

Breastfed babies smell fantastic
No scientific study needed here. There is something almost magical about the scent of your own breastfed baby, whether you're the mother or father involved. Try it, you'll like it!

It's what breasts were designed for!
Source (http://www.promom.org/101/index.html)

QuietWind
Sunday, July 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for such a great thread, Frans! As a mother who breastfed both of her children, and plan to with this next one, I can tell you that it is all true. After I had my firstborn, I was working full time at her day care, so I switched from teaching pre-schoolers to working in the older infant room, right beside the room my daughter was in. This made it easy for me to switch with a caregiver from my daughter's room everytime she got hungry.

When I went to school, I pumped my milk and left bottles for her. The Medela breast pump (there is a link to the Medela site in the information frans listed) is a wonderful breast pump. Pumping breast milk is so easy, and I have known mothers who worked away from their infants, that would pump at work. These days they make pumps that are hands-free, and you can continue working while the pump is on.

There are also so many products available for women who want to nurse preemies, women who have flattened nipples, women who don't produce enough milk, etc. I hear so many excuses on why women cannot breast feed, and most of the time, the excuse is simply an excuse why they DON'T WANT TO breast feed. These days, you can even breast feed adopted babies!

Back to my daughter.... She was in day care full time, and do you know how often daycare babies get sick? A whole lot! They pick up everything from everyone around them. One baby gets an ear infection and half the class has one. Even adults, who first go to work in day cares, often find themselves getting sick frequently because they have not been around or built up immunities to all those childhood illnesses. Not my daughter. She was NEVER sick. She was the only baby in the nursery NOT getting sick. To this day, both of my children are extremely healthy. I haven't taken either of them to the doctor in well over a year. I can't even remember the last time I took one of them to the doctor. It is true that breastfed babies are healthier.

In the information Frans posted, it talked about the digestability and stools of breastfed babies being better. This is also true. Having worked in day care, I can promise you that my breastfed babies had much better bowel movements than the formula fed babies. Formula fed babies sometimes get constipation and have to strain to push out a BM, and then when they do, it is horrible smelly, disgusting, and no one wants to change it! It is often thick, brown, and you spend ten times as many wipes trying to clean up the baby. With my breastfed babies, the BM's have virtually no smell at all, they are a thin, yellowish consistency, and I can clean it up with only 1 wipe! Plus, there is never the need for the baby to strain and push it out.

Another benefit of breastmilk, that I don't remember reading in the info. Frans posted is that it doesn't stain their clothes! Formula stains horribly! You get formula on your children's clothes and they are stained yellow and ruined. Not breast milk! There is no staining, so their clothes stay nice.

When my son was born, I didn't work, so I was able to stay home with him while breastfeeding. The same will be true with this upcoming baby.

What the information above says about sleeping benefits from breastfeeding is also very true. Both my children often fell right asleep after breastfeeding. (Neither of my children required pacifiers either.) Breastfeeding can be exhausting at first because the baby eats every 2 hours, but like the info above said, if you sleep with the baby next to you, you can just doze off. My daughter slept in bed with me, but then I had a problem where I coudn't ever get her out of my bed. :P She was 3 and still sleeping with me! With my son, I didn't want to start that, so I did two things: for his first several months of life, I had a cradle right next to my bed, and after he outgrew the cradle, I placed at nights a pillow and blanket on the floor of his room near his crib. With the cradle, I didn't have to walk so far to get him it when he wanted to feed. When he was in his crib, I walked all the way across the house to his room, but then I laid down on the pillow and blanket on the floor and would sleep while he nursed. At some point, I would usually wake up, realize he had finished and he was back asleep, and I would put him in his crib and wander back to bed.

Breastfeeding is definitely convenient! When my daughter got hungry in a store while my mom and I were out shopping, I simply went to a corner of the store behind a clothing rack, sat down, and proceeded to feed her. I have seen women feeding their babies in restaraunts, at my daughter's gymnastics, etc. The majority of the time, no one even knows. Andrew and I were at the gym one time watching my daughter's gymnastics, and this women came over to the couch we were on, sat down next to Andrew, and proceeded to nurse her child. Andrew had no idea! He would have never know if I had not told him. There are so many discrete ways a woman can breast feed in public. I use a blanket to cover me and the baby, and so do many other women. I don't think I have ever seen a woman sit down, whip out her breast in full view and go to it-- like you hear about in the news sometimes. And even if a woman was not so modest and did do that.....seriously, you men look at boobs in magazines and on-line all the time! I get upset to hear people say how disgusted they were when they saw something like that. Those people need to grow up and deal with their own personal issues.

One thing not mentioned in the info above, is that on average worldwide, women breastfeed for 3 years. In America, we recommend it at least until they are a year old. Each baby is different, but often babies by a year, are eating enough table food and are so active, that they really aren't that interested in breast feeding other than maybe a night time snack to go to sleep with.

ONe thing many mother's worry about is if their baby is getting enough breast milk. If you are worried, the majority of hospitals out there have lactation consultants that can check on that. They will weigh the baby empty, have you feed the baby, then they weigh it again after eating and see how much it ate. You have to remember that a baby's stomach is about the size of their fist. Breast fed babies often eat less than bottle fed babies-- this is also why they are healthier and have less risk of obesity etc. A lactation consultant can tell you if your baby is eating enough. Also, breasts work on supply and demand. The more your baby eats, the more milk you produce. You may find that your baby goes through periods where they are eating more often and more rigorously. Within a few days, your supply has increased and the baby is fine again. If you begin supplementing, then you are not allowing your breasts to gain the supply needed for the demand. Another way you can increase your milk supply is by pumping in between feedings. This will send a message to your breasts that an increase in supply is needed and they will produce more milk. Another thing you can do is alternate breasts. Babies need to get to the hind milk in the breast and not just the watery foremilk. Begin feeding on one side and don't just automatically switch sides when you think it is time. Let the baby stay on the one breast as long as it wants to. If it never gets to the other side, then next time begin with the other side first. If your breast gets too swelled and full, pump just a little off to relieve the pressure, and you'll be fine. You can also pump a little milk out just before the baby eats and this way the baby will be closer to getting the hind milk.

Anyhow, if anyone ever has questions, you can ask me. :lol

GreenHeart
Wednesday, September 28th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I have a 15 month old son who I am still breastfeeding. I have to agree that breastfeeding makes babies healthy since my son has never been sick. One time he had a runny nose but that was it. I havent been sick much either since I got pregnant with him. It seems like pregnancy and breastfeeding are good for your health.

He was also sleeping in bed with us but he was kicking us and started climbing down out of bed in the middle of the night, so we just recently moved him to a crib. We let him cry it out for the first few days, but then he got used to it and settled down. I felt bad about it at first but I finally realized that it will make him a stronger and better person if he has to go through trials. Plus he will learn how to get himself to sleep which is priceless. It's great because before I could only get him to sleep by feeding him to sleep but now when he's tired he will just lay down and go to sleep wherever he is. We were watching tv just now and he was tired I guess to he just layed down and went to sleep on the couch. It's so cute. :)

But back to the subject of breastfeeding, I think it should be required for all moms to breasfeed their babies for the public health's sake- and formula should only be available by perscription after a doctor determines that the woman really isnt able to breastfeed.

Prometheusfunke
Saturday, May 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM
hi there,

i'm mother of a now almost 5 year old boy, and i breastfeeded him for 5 months. i wish i could have done it longer....i drank too little and had loads of private stress, and so my milk faded :(

i totally agree that breastfeeding is the best choice for both mother and baby. luckily, the hospitals also get back to this opinion and support young mothers in their wish to breastfeed. (at least where i come from) :)

Georgia
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
As a mother who breast fed all three of my children, I have always been pro breast feeding. Not only is it nutritional for the baby, but also very convenient and it doesn't cost anything. I realize that sometimes it just isn't possible to breast feed the new born baby, but if at all possible it should be the first choice. Georgia:)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/health/13brea.html?8dpc

Breast-Feed or Else http://view.atdmt.com/ORG/view/nwyrkfxs0040000007org/direct;at.orgfxs00000890/01/ By RONI RABIN
Published: June 13, 2006
Warning: Public health officials have determined that not breast-feeding may be hazardous to your baby's health.
There is no black-box label like that affixed to cans of infant formula or tucked into the corner of magazine advertisements, at least not yet. But that is the unambiguous message of a controversial government public health campaign encouraging new mothers to breast-feed for six months to protect their babies from colds (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/colds/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier), flu (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/influenza/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier), ear infections, diarrhea and even obesity (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/obesity/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier). In April, the World Health Organization (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/w/world_health_organization/index.html?inline=nyt-org), setting new international bench marks for children's growth, for the first time referred to breast-feeding as the biological norm.
"Just like it's risky to smoke during pregnancy (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/pregnancy/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier), it's risky not to breast-feed after," said Suzanne Haynes, senior scientific adviser to the Office on Women's Health in the Department of Health and Human Services (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/h/health_and_human_services_department/index.html?inline=nyt-org). "The whole notion of talking about risk is new in this field, but it's the only field of public health, except perhaps physical activity, where there is never talk about the risk."
A two-year national breast-feeding awareness campaign that culminated this spring ran television announcements showing a pregnant woman clutching her belly as she was thrown off a mechanical bull during ladies' night at a bar — and compared the behavior to failing to breast-feed.
"You wouldn't take risks before your baby's born," the advertisement says. "Why start after?"
Senator Tom Harkin (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/tom_harkin/index.html?inline=nyt-per), Democrat of Iowa, has proposed requiring warning labels, on cans of infant formula and in advertisements, similar to the those on cigarettes. They would say that the Department of Health and Human services has determined that "breast-feeding is the ideal method of feeding and nurturing infants" or that "breast milk is more beneficial to infants than infant formula."
Child-rearing experts have long pointed to the benefits of breast-feeding. But critics say the new campaign has taken things too far and will make mothers who cannot breast-feed, or choose not to, feel guilty and inadequate.
"I desperately wanted to breast-feed," said Karen Petrone, an associate professor of history at University of Kentucky (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_kentucky/index.html?inline=nyt-org) in Lexington.
When her two babies failed to gain weight and her pediatrician insisted that she supplement her breast milk with formula, Ms. Petrone said, "I felt so guilty."
"I thought I was doing something wrong," she added. "Nobody ever told me that some women just can't produce enough milk."
Moreover, urging women to breast-feed exclusively is a tall order in a country where more than 60 percent of mothers of very young children work, federal law requires large companies to provide only 12 weeks' unpaid maternity leave and lactation leave is unheard of. Only a third of large companies provide a private, secure area where women can express breast milk during the workday, and only 7 percent offer on-site or near-site child care, according to a 2005 national study of employers by the nonprofit Families and Work Institute.
"I'm concerned about the guilt that mothers will feel," said Ellen Galinsky, president of the center. "It's hard enough going back to work."
Public health leaders say the weight of the scientific evidence for breast-feeding has grown so overwhelming that it is appropriate to recast their message to make clear that it is risky not to breast-feed.
Ample scientific evidence supports the contention that breast-fed babies are less vulnerable to acute infectious diseases, including respiratory and gastrointestinal infections, experts say. Some studies also suggest that breast-fed babies are at lower risk for sudden infant death syndrome (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/suddeninfantdeathsyndrome/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) and serious chronic diseases later in life, including asthma (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/asthma/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier), diabetes (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/diabetes/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier), leukemia (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/leukemia/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) and some forms of lymphoma, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/american_academy_of_pediatrics/index.html?inline=nyt-org).
Research on premature babies has even found that those given breast milk scored higher on I.Q. tests than those who were bottle-fed.
The goal of a government health initiative called Healthy People 2010 is to get half of all mothers to continue at least some breast-feeding until a baby is 6 months old. Though about 70 percent of new mothers start breast-feeding right after childbirth, just over a third are breast-feeding at 6 months and fewer than 20 percent are exclusively breast-feeding by that time, according to the 2004 National Immunization (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/vaccinationandimmunization/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) Survey. Breast-feeding increases with education, income and age; black women are less likely to breast-feed, while Hispanics have higher breast-feeding rates.
For women, breast-feeding can be an emotionally charged issue, and a very personal one. Even its most ardent supporters acknowledge that they have made sacrifices.
"It's a whole lifestyle," said Kymberlie Stefanski, a 34-year-old mother of three from Villa Park, Ill., who has not been apart from her children except for one night when she gave birth. "My life revolves around my kids, basically." Ms. Stefanski quit working when her first child was born almost six years ago, nursed that child until she was 4 years old, and is nursing an infant now.
She said she wanted to reduce the risk of breast cancer (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/breastcancer/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) for herself and for her three daughters, referring to research indicating that extended breast-feeding may reduce the risk for both mother and daughters.
Scientists who study breast milk almost all speak of it in superlatives. Even the International Formula Council, a trade association, acknowledges that breast-feeding "offers specific child and maternal health benefits" and is the "preferred" method of infant feeding. The American Academy of Pediatrics states in its breast-feeding policy that human breast milk is "uniquely superior for infant feeding."
Dr. Haynes, of the Health and Human Services Department, said, "Our message is that breast milk is the gold standard, and anything less than that is inferior."
Formula "is not equivalent," she went on, adding, "Formula is not the gold standard. It's so far from it, it's not even close."
Formula manufacturers say infant formula is modeled on breast milk and emphasize that it is the only safe alternative recommended by pediatricians for mothers who cannot, or choose not to, breast-feed.
But while formula tastes the same way at every feeding, advocates of breast-feeding say, the smells and flavors of human breast milk change from day to day, from morning to evening, influenced by the mother's diet (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/diet/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier). Many nutritionists believe that exposing an infant to this bouquet of flavors early on may make for less fussy eaters who are more flexible about trying new foods and more likely to eat a healthy, varied diet.
"I think of human milk not just as food, but as a sophisticated and intricate infant support system that has evolved over millions of years to provide the infant with nutrition, protection and components of information," said Dr. E. Stephen Buescher, a professor of pediatrics (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/pediatrics/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, who heads the inflammation section in the school's Center for Pediatric Research.
"It isn't just calories," Dr. Buescher said.
The protection that breast-feeding provides against acute infectious diseases — including meningitis, upper and lower respiratory infections, pneumonia, bowel infections, diarrhea and ear infections — has been among the most extensively studied of its benefits and is well documented, said Dr. Lawrence M. Gartner, chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics' breast-feeding section.
Breast-fed babies have 50 percent to 95 percent fewer infections than other babies, Dr. Gartner said, adding, "It's pretty dramatic."
One reason for the reduction in the incidence and the severity of infections is the antibodies contained in the mother's milk. "A lot of this has to do with the mother and baby interacting," he explained. "Whatever the baby is exposed to, the mother is exposed to, and the mother will make antibodies within three to four days." The baby absorbs them through breast milk.
Breast milk also protects the baby through other mechanisms. For example, it contains agents that prevent bacteria and viruses (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/viruses/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) from attaching to cells in the baby's body, so the foreign agents are expelled in the stool, Dr. Gartner said.
The protection is not ironclad, so breast-fed babies will often get a mild infection that does not make the baby sick but acts almost like a vaccine. "What we think is that human milk creates an environment where you get your immunity without the cost of an infection, the vomiting and the diarrhea," Dr. Buescher said. "That's a bargain."
Neonatologists are urging the mothers of their tiniest patients to express breast milk because premature and low-birth-weight babies are particularly vulnerable to infections. Studies have found that premature babies who get breast milk are discharged earlier from the hospital and are less likely to develop necrotizing enterocolitis, a potentially deadly disease.
Breast milk has also been shown to lift the cognitive development of premature babies, presumably because it contains certain fatty acids that aid brain development.
Experts say it is possible that human breast milk produces permanent changes in the immune system, in a sense "educating" the baby's immune system, Dr. Gartner suggested. That may explain why children who were breast-fed appear to be at lower risk for autoimmune diseases like Crohn's, asthma and juvenile diabetes. Several studies also indicate that breast-fed children are at reduced risk for the cancers lymphoma and leukemia.
Officials with the International Formula Council say there is not enough evidence to prove a relationship between early feeding and serious chronic diseases.
Dr. Myron Peterson, director of medical affairs for Cato Research, a private independent research organization which reviewed the literature on breast-feeding for the council, said that studies have found a link between nursing and health benefits but that they do not prove a causal relationship. "It's like the old statement about the rooster crowing making the sun come up," he said. "If you did an observational study on that, what would you say?"
An unpublished report the council commissioned from Cato says "it is not scientifically correct to conclude the lack of exclusive breast-feeding plays a causative role in the development of these diseases."
But scientists are so intrigued about the potential to protect children from juvenile diabetes that a large 10-year multinational study called Trigr (for Trial to Reduce Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in the Genetically at Risk) is under way to find out whether breast-feeding protects at-risk children from developing the disease.
And public health officials, excited about mounting evidence suggesting that children who were breast-fed are at lower risk of being obese, have been promoting breast-feeding as a strategy to combat alarming rates of childhood obesity.
The health benefits of breast-feeding may extend to mothers as well. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, extended breast-feeding reduces the risk of ovarian cancer (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/cancer/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) and breast cancer. New studies have also found that women who breast-feed face a lower risk of adult-onset or Type 2 diabetes, and they seem to be at lower risk for osteoporosis (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/osteoporosis/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) later in life.
Immediately after childbirth, nursing accelerates healing by reducing the amount of bleeding and causing the uterus to contract more rapidly back to its normal size. Making milk burns up to 500 extra calories a day, so nursing mothers get help shedding extra pounds from pregnancy, experts say, especially if they nurse for an extended period.
Experts say lactation also seems to have a calming effect on the mother, which may be an adaptive mechanism to ease the transition to life with a new baby. Every time a mother nurses, she gets a spike in oxytocin, which may have an antianxiety effect and help promote bonding with the new baby, said Kathryn G. Dewey, a professor of nutrition at the University of California (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_california/index.html?inline=nyt-org), Davis, and an expert on breast-feeding.
Nursing may even produce a euphoric feeling, she said.
Dr. Michael Kramer, a professor of pediatrics and of epidemiology and biostatistics at McGill University's medical school in Montreal who has been studying the health effects of breast-feeding among infants in Belarus, found a strong protective effect against gastrointestinal illnesses and a lesser protective effect against respiratory infections. Dr. Kramer is still analyzing data on obesity, I.Q., behavior and blood pressure (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/bloodpressure/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier).
"It can't do all of the things that are being claimed for it," Dr. Kramer said, injecting a note of caution into the debate. "But it probably does some of them."

Thalia
Thursday, August 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I've breastfeeded both of my children. Unfortunately when my daughter (6 months) was born my milk faded constantly. Reasons could be that I'm alone with two kids, I've moved and I've had a lot of trouble with my Ex which really made me sick. I started using a breast-pump which worked well for a while. But after 3 months there has been almost no more milk and my nervs were really all on edge, so I gave it up :( But I'm glad that I've tried so hard and that I could give her the milk for that time.
But the breastfeeding of my son worked great. I've got respect for all mothers who breastfeed her children for a long time.:thumbup

By the way, neither of them have had flatulence or something like that and both of them slept like a log all night long when they were a couple of weeks old. I'm sure that it adheres with the breastfeeding. It's the best that mothers can afford their children.

sorry for my English

Enibas
Thursday, September 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
I have breastfed all my 10 children. I like breastfeeding in bed at night, it is so easy and comfortable, I must not get up to prepare a bottle in the kitchen. Both of us have usually fallen asleep during breastfeeding at night.

When the babies were four months old, I have given them in addition baby cereal. After half a year I have stopped breastfeeding slowly.
I never had problems with breastfeeding, but with the twins (no. 8 and 9 -- boy and girl) it was not so easy. There are women who can breastfeed two children at the same time, but I need both hands to hold the baby. So the babies took it in turns. One Baby have to wait until the other was ready with drinking. My twins were hungry mostly at the same time. I could not have to breastfeed a baby and see the other one is crying. So the bigger daughters and my oldest son have given the other baby the bottle. Of course we have always done this alternately so that every twin was breastfeeded and get the bottle, too.

ladybright
Thursday, February 28th, 2008, 06:01 PM
What is your opinion on breastfeeding?

There are many benefits and few negatives in my opinion. Health for babies, pain relief for babies (http://www.tribune.com.ng/28022008/hlt1.html), health benefits for the mother (http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p124.html), bonding, less cost (http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/financial.html), easier night feedings etc.

It can even be done long distance (http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/jan/09/long-journey-for-mothers-milk/) if you can pay the postage.

I have breastfed my daughter and am breastfeeding my son. I am very happy with how it has worked out for us. It has helped me focus on my children and our heritage. I think it helps preservation in subtle ways as well.

Talan
Thursday, February 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Breastfeeding is a traditional invocation to still discontent, and we cannot afford to take orthopathy casually. There is a distinctive meaning of the word for knowledge in proto-Germanic language; a word that is used for both human intercourse and knowledge of creation. The original meaning of the verb “to recognize, to know,” in distinction from its modern forms, belongs not to the sphere of reflection but to that of personal contact.

ladybright
Friday, February 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
What is your opinion on breastfeeding?

There are many benefits and few negatives in my opinion. Health for babies, pain relief (http://www.tribune.com.ng/28022008/hlt1.html)for babies, health benefits for the mother (http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p124.html), bonding, less cost, easier night feedings etc.

It can even be done long distance if you can pay the postage.
(http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/jan/09/long-journey-for-mothers-milk/)
I have breastfed my daughter and am breastfeeding my son. I am very happy with how it has worked out for us. It has helped me focus on my children and our heritage. I think it helps preservation in subtle ways as well.

I will post more about milk banking (http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=home) and other milk related issues here.

Gagnraad
Friday, February 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
As a teenage lad, I honestly don't have much to say about this subject. But I would believe that breastfeeding them gives the best "result".

I don't know much of this subject, so this post get's short. :D

Papa Koos
Friday, February 29th, 2008, 04:40 AM
My dear mother breast fed all of us children. My kids were given only mother's milk. So, I can't fathom why anyone who is able to breast feed would not.

Praetorianer
Tuesday, May 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I find it very usefull.

Breastfeeding 'can reduce risk of cot deaths' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1915398/Breastfeeding-'can-reduce-risk-of-cot-deaths'.html)

Breastfeeding boosts intelligence (http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hMvhd5-CbtjDqqrX3zpTDsnGCCeg)

Huzzey
Tuesday, May 6th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Every woman should breast feed if possible for healthy nutritional benefits. It increases seven IQ points on average by studies. It stimulates brain development and growth. Human infants naturally digest human milk more efficiently than cow’s milk. Who knows what kind of antibiotics and synthetic steroids and other kinds hormones they use on cattle and livestock today that aren’t suitable for an infant’s immune system.

Mothers also lose weight through breastfeeding. It’s also less expensive.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/index.html (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kell ymom.com%2Fbf%2Findex.html)
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/895_brstfeed.html (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fda. gov%2Ffdac%2Ffeatures%2F895_brstfeed.htm l)

Jäger
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
The original meaning of the verb “to recognize, to know,” in distinction from its modern forms, belongs not to the sphere of reflection but to that of personal contact.
Because it is in the Bible :eek:
But maybe it was a question of prudes. ;)

Anyway, is this even a realistic question? Are there mother who don't breastfeed, and if so why? I don't know any.

ladybright
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Most young men I have met do not seem to know or care about breastfeeding. I am glad to see that some care.

I have a cousin who medically could not breastfeed.:( She was ready and willing but had to take medicine that would have harmed her daughter. I have another cousin(by marriage) who never even tried. I have held my tounge and not criticized her but have mentioned some of the benefits around her more than once.

Here in the USA many mothers do not breastfeed.:mad: The rates are higher for higher income and higher IQ mothers. (The kids who could most benefit from it don't get it.:rolleyes: ) I honestly do not understand how rational people can chose to not even try breastfeeding. I don't approve that the formula companies give out samples. They are better than cow milk but not true human milk equivalents. Not to say that they are not sometimes necessary. I was quite ill and had to be on serious antibiotics for a 12 days. I went through my frozen milk in four and had to give my little guy formula.:( I found it to be a much greater hassle than breastfeeding.

I am sending some of my milk to a bank (http://www.milkbanks.org/) for babies in need. They send me coolers and bottles as well as vials for blood tests. I just got another vial because they need HIV tests every 3 months.

Oswiu
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Because it is in the Bible :eek:
And that's the only connection of this word with sex. The cognates speak for themselves:
O.E. cnawan (class VII strong verb; past tense cneow, pp. cnawen), from P.Gmc. *knoeanan (cf. O.H.G. bi-chnaan, ir-chnaan "to know"), from PIE base *gno- "to know" (cf. O.Pers. xšnasatiy "he shall know;" O.C.S. znati, Rus. znat "to know;" L. gnoscere; Gk. *gno-, as in gignoskein; Skt. jna- "know"). Once widespread in Gmc., this form is now retained only in Eng., where however it has widespread application, covering meanings that require two or more verbs in other languages (e.g. Ger. wissen, kennen, erkennen and in part k&#246;nnen; Fr. conna&#238;tre, savoir; L. novisse, cognoscire, scire; O.C.S. znaja, vemi). The Anglo-Saxons used two distinct words for this, witan (see wit) and cnawan. Meaning "to have sexual intercourse with" is attested from c.1200, from the O.T.

Anyway, is this even a realistic question? Are there mother who don't breastfeed, and if so why? I don't know any.
My my my! What a wonderful charmed place and social milieu you live in!

I live among young women who are utterly pig-ignorant, and simply too lazy to breastfeed. It's horrendously common to use unnatural substitutes. And with no good reason. A large part of why the ignorant masses do something stems merely from the fact that they've seen something available in shops, and 'concluded' that it is the 'done thing'. There's no more cognitive process to it than that!

I, by the way, am almost as guilty of not thinking, but from a different perspective: it is natural to breastfeed! Case closed! THat's what breasts are for! Any replacement will be something dreamt up by science and business in the last 50 years or so, and thus will be at a disadvantage when faced with the 80,000,000 years or so that our ancestors have been breastfeeding us!

Deary
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
There are women who do not want to breastfeed because they are concerned about how it will affect the appearance of their breasts afterwards and want to remain attractive for their husbands. Most women who pay plastic surgeons for breast reconstructive surgery are mothers who have breastfed. I've looked at these images and it is not a pleasing view. I've always assumed this could be related to age of the mother, multiple pregnancies, how much weight was gained during pregnancy, or perhaps breastfeeding babies for longer than they should be, and other external factors like tanning, smoking, and poor diet, but not many women understand this and will act upon fear and simply not breastfeed their babies anyway. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Oswiu
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
There are women who do not want to breastfeed because they are concerned about how it will affect the appearance of their breasts afterwards and want to remain attractive for their husbands. Most women who pay plastic surgeons for breast reconstructive surgery are former mothers who have breastfed. I've looked at these images and it is not a pleasing view. I've always assumed this could be related to age of the mother, multiple pregnancies, how much weight was gained during pregnancy, or perhaps breastfeeding babies for longer than they should be, and other external factors like tanning, smoking, and poor diet, but not many women understand this and will act upon fear and simply not breastfeed their babies anyway. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Forgive the morbid curiosity, but how bad can things get? I've not much experience of looking for the signs of this! Vanitas vanitas, anyway...

Deary
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Often times the issue is with heavy sagging, complete flatness, nipples become deformed/stretched, and sometimes women are left with less than they had before breastfeeding (usually the case with smaller-breasted women). You can always Google "breast lift before after" or something along those lines. I agree that the baby's interest and well-being should come first.

Oswiu
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 04:41 PM
You can always Google "breast lift before after" or something along those lines.
I thought of doing the like, but was a bit scared of what would come up! We're hardly going to get an objective picture if we look at what cases the plastic surgeons choose to offer us, though. I think from first principles (my code word for 'ignorance' tempered with common sense) that what you suggested about external factors probably has more to do with any malformations.

I just found this:
http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2007/10/29/nursing-mothers-neednt-worry-about-sag/?mod=WSJBlog

October 29, 2007, 6:09 pm
Nursing Mothers Needn’t Worry About Sag
Posted by Jacob Goldstein
Breastfeeding doesn’t cause breasts to sag, according to study results that could ease the concerns of some women.

“A lot of times, if a woman comes in for a breast lift or a breast augmentation, she’ll say ‘I just want to fix what breastfeeding did to my breasts,’ ” University of Kentucky plastic surgeon Brian D. Rinker told the Health Blog. But there wasn’t much information in the scientific literature one way or the other about the effect of breastfeeding.

He decided to find out, and–to his surprise–found that breastfeeding doesn’t “adversely affect breast shape.” That’s how he put it in the abstract published in connection with this week’s American Society of Plastic Surgeons conference in Baltimore.

He and his colleagues reviewed the files of all the women who came to the University of Kentucky for a breast lift or augmentation between 1998 and 2006. They called them on the phone and asked a series of questions — including how many kids they’d had, whether and for how long they breast fed, and whether they had a history of smoking cigarettes. The doctors also reviewed photos taken before surgery and used a standard method (first described in this paper) of measuring sagging of the breast, which doctors call ptosis (TOE-sis).

Ultimately, they wound up with 93 women who had given birth before coming in for breast surgery. Of those, 54 had breastfed one or more children, while the rest had skipped breastfeeding. They found no difference in the “degree of breast ptosis” between the women who breastfed and the women who didn’t.
But several other variables did make a difference, including the number of pregnancies and a history of smoking. Rinker said the smoking connection hadn’t been demonstrated before, but it makes sense because smoking breaks down a protein in the skin called elastin, which gives youthful skin its elastic appearance and supports the breast.

The study isn’t definitive, he conceded. It’s small and was limited to women who chose to come for breast surgery. “It’s just one study, and it doesn’t close the door on this particular subject,” Rinker said. Still, he added, “it’s changed the conversation I have with my patients. If they bring up the topic of breastfeeding, I tell them we looked at that, and this is what we found.”

Photo by blmurch via flickr

Permalink | Trackback URL: http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2007/10/29/nursing-mothers-neednt-worry-about-sag/?mod=WSJBlog/trackback/

Some comments are appended, like this idiot:

Chances are though, that if you see a woman hit 40 with great breasts, she never breastfed, or she had some work done.
40... I mean, do these people expect to live forever and never age?!? Sick people. A woman at 40 shouldn't have 'great breasts' as her sole source of individual worth. :( And yet there are huge numbers of people out there who are even avoiding reproduction itself to save their pathetic transient figures!

Bärin
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 04:49 PM
My mother went through 7 pregnancies and breastfed all her children but one. When my sister was born my mother was sick so she couldn't breastfeed. Oddly enough this sister was weaker than the rest of children. She was fed formula milk. My mother doesn't even think of reconstructive surgeries and other craps. My father likes her just the way she is. You don't look like a supermodel after you give birth and nurse your babies but really what's more important, your breasts or your baby? The choice should be obvious. :rolleyes:

Oswiu
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
You don't look like a supermodel after you give birth and nurse your babies but really what's more important, your breasts or your baby? The choice should be obvious. :rolleyes:
Aye, what we're dealing with here is just another manifestation of the sick cult of Youth that has so penetrated our civilisations. People should look, dress, and act their age.

Ossi
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Breastfeeding is natural, all mothers who can, human or animal breastfed. Women who don't do it for selfish boob-love reasons are selfish, individualistic beings.

Besides, having nice boobs when you are over your 40s isn't really an asset considering the face is already getting wrinkled. Just look at our chancelloress (http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,30649,00.html), her cleavage doesn't make up for her face. :D

Deary
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
40... I mean, do these people expect to live forever and never age?!? Sick people. A woman at 40 shouldn't have 'great breasts' as her sole source of individual worth. :( And yet there are huge numbers of people out there who are even avoiding reproduction itself to save their pathetic transient figures!

After pregnancy, many women who suffer sagging or other defects feel insecure exposing themselves to their husbands which hinders their sexlives. Some fear for their marriages based on their lack of good figure or youthful breasts from pregnancy and feel as though they have to compete with younger women. "If I'm not attractive, what's to stop my husband from cheating on me?" I'm sure their breasts aren't their sole source of individual worth, but a womans' breasts play an important role in how she feels about her appearance.

Jäger
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Aye, what we're dealing with here is just another manifestation of the sick cult of Youth that has so penetrated our civilisations.
It's more the cult of switching partners I'd say, espeacilly women who loose their partner in a higher age have to compete with younger females for new ones.

Compare Arthur Schopenhauer: On Women

"In the girl nature has had in view what could in theatrical terms be called a stage-effect: it has provided her with superabundant beauty and charm for a few years at the expense of the whole remainder of her life, so that during these years she may so capture the imagination of a man that he is carried away into undertaking to support her honorably in some form or another for the rest of her life, a step he would seem hardly likely to take for purely rational considerations. Thus nature has equipped women, as it has all its creatures, with the tools and weapons she needs for securing her existence, and at just the time she needs them; in doing which nature has acted with its usual economy. For just as the female ant loses its wings after mating, since they are then superfluous, indeed harmful to the business of raising the family, so the woman usually loses her beauty after one or two childbeds, and probably for the same reason."
http://www.heretical.org/miscella/onwomen.html

...her cleavage doesn't make up for her face.
She is not 40 though, she is 54.

Schmetterling
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Of course, women should breastfeed. It's associated with intelligence and it's a great bond with the child. :)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2008/05/080505162902.jpg

Veratýr
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I think breastfeeding is a great and natural thing. Why else would humans have the ability to give milk if it wasn't meant to be used?

GroeneWolf
Thursday, May 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Based on prior-knowledge before reading this tread I would say that breastfeeding is better for the infant. First of all the milk is more adepted to need of an infant. Also since it a nature-product there are less side effects from potential chemical rubbish.

Every woman should breast feed if possible for healthy nutritional benefits. It increases seven IQ points on average by studies. It stimulates brain development and growth.

Got any links to relevant research about this?

ladybright
Thursday, May 8th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Based on prior-knowledge before reading this tread I would say that breastfeeding is better for the infant. First of all the milk is more adepted to need of an infant. Also since it a nature-product there are less side effects from potential chemical rubbish.

Got any links to relevant research about this?
Link (http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hMvhd5-CbtjDqqrX3zpTDsnGCCeg)wasposted by other people. It even seems to improve IQ by &#37;5 at age 6 when the mother's IQ is taken into account.:) There are several older studies that showed that breastfed babies grow to have higher IQs but much of the research was in question due to genetic factors. The new formulas with DHA etc may be better then what was used in this study. Scientists are still finding out more about breastmilk and I doubt that a true human milk equivalent will be made in my lifetime.

Brynhild
Friday, May 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I'm an advocate for breastfeeding, for all the above-mentioned reasons, but could only feed one out of my three.

I fed my oldest son for 10 months, and I fed him anywhere and any time we both chose. I don't mean to be crude but he was able to latch on much better than the others. I had mastitis but was still able to feed.

I attempted to feed my other two for about 2 weeks but soon realised that their mouths were too small for my flat nipples, it was extremely painful and stressful. I was very disappointed that I couldn't do so, despite my perservering, but they were losing weight rapidly and I took the only other alternative possible.

I didn't stop feeding for vanity's sake, and my boobs point south. The state of my body never bothered me in the slightest, I loved each moment that I bonded with my oldest son. Because I eventually bottlefed the others, I made sure that I held them close while doing so - I've seen mothers dump their babies on a lounge f.e. with a propped up bottle to their mouths, in horror!

As I said, I'm all for breastfeeding, but sometimes it's physically difficult and some babies and mothers need the right support - sorry to say they don't just latch, they have to be taught.

IvyLeaguer
Sunday, November 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm reading all of this dialogue, and, well, I'll be 40 in 8-9 months. I have a teenage son (he will be 14 years-old in January) who was breastfed for a short time after I gave birth. Mine are still good and they are not hanging. Thanks...:D

Cassaundra
Monday, April 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I'm nursing my fourth baby right now as I type this (one-handed). It's the most wonderful way you can bond with another human being. I do also consider myself to be a bit of a "lactivist". The scientific citations in earlier postings are excellent and quite comprehensive so I don't need to add anything further in that vein. I will simply say that nursing equals motherhood in my humble opinion and we need to do everything possible to support women in efforts to nurse. Those who don't nurse are giving natural selection another avenue to select in favour of someone else.

heloise
Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
I plan to breastfeed when I mary and have children. I feel that it is natural and a perfect food for a baby.
A mother's body is also designed to respond to breastfeeding by returning much quicker to it's pre-pregnancy weight.

Bothvild
Monday, February 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
I breastfed our son for the first 4 months or so, then stopped due to health problems (mine, not his) and not being able to produce enough milk for his growing needs. We weaned him off and he's the most robust child I've come across (2 and a half years old now).

What struck me was here (in Cardiff, Wales), there were very few public places where other people deemed it acceptable for me to breastfeed. Did anybody else find this? I mean, it's not like mothers are walking around topless, just providing sustenance for their offspring - usually pretty subtly. It upset me at the time that people seemed to think I was doing something wrong by breastfeeding.

Actually, now I come to think of it, in the maternity ward at the hospital, I was the only one of six women and babies in my part of the ward who was breastfeeding, everybody else chose to go straight to bottles and formula. Odd?

GreenSalute
Sunday, July 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I think it's pretty bad to go straight to formula like that, I saw it too. And unless there is really a proper reason, milk not coming in is so extremely rare it is pretty unheard of. Given all the benefits for baby and mother, I just don't see how anyone could not atleast try.

Adalheid
Friday, June 22nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
I had a girlfriend who breastfed one of her kids until he was 3 y.o. Gotta wonder if it was for her own enjoyment.

Dear Cosmocreator,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with breastfeeding a child until three years of age. Did you know that the world average for breastfeeding is until four years of age? Only in western countries has it been recently (as in within the last 100 years or so) been deemed strange to breastfeed past a year old...and even then people are judged.

Even if she may have gotten a little enjoyment out of snuggling her babe and providing nourishment, I don't suspect there's a single thing wrong with it.

Adalheid
Friday, June 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Ewergrin,

Thank you for your post on Breastfeeding. It's a wonderful, natural thing to do. It can and often does hurt at first. It can be downright annoying, frustrating, exhausting, and tiresome. I breastfed my daughter until shortly after her second birthday. After 13 months or so, she was only inclined to snuggle and nurse at bed time, and that was fine with me.

I don't know anything about independence, or IQ or any of that statistical jargon, but what I can say is that it's less expensive, safe, loving and full of wonderful antibodies that will keep a baby healthy.

Gustaaf
Friday, June 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Breastfeeding is a good thing, but not if it's in public. I consider breastfeeding in public to be degenerate exhibitionism, and pornography involving a child. It's usually non-whites with no moral standards that I see doing this, but I just really hope the trend doesn't catch on in white America and Europe.

Adalheid
Friday, June 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Breastfeeding is a good thing, but not if it's in public. I consider breastfeeding in public to be degenerate exhibitionism, and pornography involving a child. It's usually non-whites with no moral standards that I see doing this, but I just really hope the trend doesn't catch on in white America and Europe.

I'm sorry that you feel that way Gustaaf. It's an unfortunate perspective to have, although I respect it nonetheless.

Breastfeeding has nothing to do with sexuality. That being said, I wasn't comfortable myself breastfeeding in public, only because I knew that folks such as yourself would be so bothered by it. Personally? It's a breast. It's a baby. It's the baby's source of food. I'd rather a woman latch a baby right then and there than let the poor thing scream in hunger because she can't find a place to hide herself.

There are ways to be tasteful about it though. A good nursing cover goes a long way.

I had to do it in a few extenuating circumstances where my baby threw up on my nursing cover when I was out and had no choice but to make due. Please look upon this with a little more compassion, if you can find yourself willing to. Allowing women to breastfeed openly and comfortably (like not inside a washroom stall on a toilet) is important to our people because we want our children raised on the breast when possible. It's better for their health and for the mother's as well.

I don't think that a woman should casually show both breasts without any discretion. There are some reasonable limits to be regarded.

Jens
Friday, June 22nd, 2012, 08:57 PM

Going apeshit over a boob is degenerate. How sexually crazed do you have to be to think breastfeeding is exhibitionist?:thumbdown This "trend" was the norm in Europe since forever. Outside of Victorian Era England and the Puritan USA anyway. The idea that breastfeeding could be offensive is new to Europe. Even Christians were never this prude until the Reformation came along, and even after that, only radicals ever decried that.

I think fat Mcchicks with too small clothes and their fat rolls spilling over their pants are infinitely more degenerate, and disgusting to boot. Our energy would be far more sensibly invested ending that horrid travesty.

Fire Wolf
Friday, June 22nd, 2012, 10:23 PM
The true degeneracy is to turn the feeding of an infant into a sexual issue. Its evidence of a poisoning of the germanic mind to have it run along such perverse lines. Public breastfeeding should not be frownedupon so as to make mothers feel unwelcome in their own folk. This is a sad circumstance of modernity indeed.

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Again, freaking out over something innocuous and natural like breastfeeding is a totally American phenomenon. The one place where Christianity thrives most in the west is also the one where Germanic bodies are hated most. Any guy who makes a mother feel bad for breastfeeding her baby in public is an a-hole, and its the duty of other men around to make him quit it or leave.

hyidi
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Breastfeeding connects mother and child. I only support a bottled feed baby, If the mother can not produce enough milk. In nature and real life, this can happen and It does so often.

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Going apeshit over a boob is degenerate. How sexually crazed do you have to be to think breastfeeding is exhibitionist?:thumbdown This "trend" was the norm in Europe since forever. Outside of Victorian Era England and the Puritan USA anyway. The idea that breastfeeding could be offensive is new to Europe. Even Christians were never this prude until the Reformation came along, and even after that, only radicals ever decried that.

I can think of a good few reasons why it's wrong. I've heard men talk about how they can't help looking when they see a woman breastfeeding her baby. A child should never be brought into anyone's fantasization, ever. And a mother should be aware of the perverts that exist in the world. It doesn't matter if it's 100% or just 1% of the folk who see it, a mother, IMO, should know better.

There's no excuse for not doing it before and/or after you go out with your child. None. And if you're out for the whole day, then find a private place, a changing room, a bathroom etc. No one thinks using the toilet is an inherently bad thing, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't use discretion.

Other children may be around at the time. They shouldn't be exposed to these types of things. Let them enjoy their innocence and save the questions of sex and sexually related matters for their teen years.

I think fat Mcchicks with too small clothes and their fat rolls spilling over their pants are infinitely more degenerate, and disgusting to boot. Our energy would be far more sensibly invested ending that horrid travesty.

I see them both as part of the same problem.

Adalheid
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Gustaaf, you have a very unfortunate perspective of breastfeeding, although, you are entitled to it nonetheless.

I would just like to say that breastfeeding on the go is a reality for many women. When a child must feed every 2-3 hours, one may not always find a bathroom in which to feed their child. Condemning a woman who is doing a very challenging thing for the benefit of their child is not only wrong, but widely morally askew. Breastfeeding is absolutely not a sexual act, and it should be seen as a natural, loving thing done between a mother and a child that all children should understand and be comfortable with.

That is my opinion, and frankly, that of every person that I know. Perhaps it is not the women who are nourishing their child that should be scorned, but the men with perverted thoughts for it is only them that are uncomfortable with it.

In the end, if discrete breastfeeding is the only way for a mother to feed her child in any circumstance, then perhaps there should be more facilities available for women to privately do so. There is no excuse for sending a child to eat in a place where people defecate, simply because 1% of the population is so uncomfortable with their sexuality.

Perhaps you would enjoy dining in such a place?

Keep your eyes to yourself and most of all, relax. There are so many greater issues to be so poorly opinionated on.

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Gustaaf, you have a very unfortunate perspective of breastfeeding, although, you are entitled to it nonetheless.

I would just like to say that breastfeeding on the go is a reality for many women. When a child must feed every 2-3 hours, one may not always find a bathroom in which to feed their child. Condemning a woman who is doing a very challenging thing for the benefit of their child is not only wrong, but widely morally askew. Breastfeeding is absolutely not a sexual act, and it should be seen as a natural, loving thing done between a mother and a child that all children should understand and be comfortable with.

That is my opinion, and frankly, that of every person that I know. Perhaps it is not the women who are nourishing their child that should be scorned, but the men with perverted thoughts for it is only them that are uncomfortable with it.

In the end, if discrete breastfeeding is the only way for a mother to feed her child in any circumstance, then perhaps there should be more facilities available for women to privately do so. There is no excuse for sending a child to eat in a place where people defecate, simply because 1% of the population is so uncomfortable with their sexuality.

Perhaps you would enjoy dining in such a place?

Keep your eyes to yourself and most of all, relax. There are so many greater issues to be so poorly opinionated on.

It's just a matter of decency and discretion. I see guys urinating at the side of the road or in a park sometimes, but I usually realize that they at least tried to find a bush to do it behind and I just caught them from a bad angle. At least these guys try to be discreet. I've seen women full on spill their boob out of their dress while sitting on a bench that faces a very heavy flow of passers by. She could, one, only reveal as much of the breast as is needed, two, find a quieter spot, three, face away from people or cover what's happening with a newspaper. Most seem completely oblivious to what the people around them are thinking.

Jens
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Other children may be around at the time. They shouldn't be exposed to these types of things. Let them enjoy their innocence and save the questions of sex and sexually related matters for their teen years.

Breasts are not genitalia. They are not sexual organs and seeing them has nothing to do with sexual innocence. If someone is perverted enough to fantasize about breastfeeding and babies, then making women hide in a closet won't help. Perverts are perverted, other people who are not will not be perverted by a perfectly normal and innocent act.

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Breasts are not genitalia. They are not sexual organs and seeing them has nothing to do with sexual innocence. If someone is perverted enough to fantasize about breastfeeding and babies, then making women hide in a closet won't help. Perverts are perverted, other people who are not will not be perverted by a perfectly normal and innocent act.

They're sexual characteristics and both young girls and young boys don't have them. Should they be intrigued into asking questions about things that can only lead down one blvd.?

Children wearing revealing clothes is something else that only excites perverts, but most people still agree that it is wrong for them to be wearing those clothing items.

tigerlily
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Making breastfeeding into a sexual thing is just plain wrong. Yes, a breast may be exposed, but the context is totally non sexual and only a strange mind could see it as such. The problem therefore is with that mind and not the mother who is feeding her child.

Jens
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
They're sexual characteristics and both young girls and young boys don't have them. Should they be intrigued into asking questions about things that can only lead down one blvd.?

Children wearing revealing clothes is something else that only excites perverts, but most people still agree that it is wrong for them to be wearing those clothing items.

When I was little in Germany it was quite normal for young children to be naked at public swimming pools or really any informal occasion in the park or whatever. And I live in the conservative South of Germany. We never had issues with perverts, and we didn't become perverts. Pervy clothing on children is different because it is sexual in a way that the human body is naturally not. Breastfeeding, like a 3 year old running around naked, is not sexual. We shouldn't be censoring the world so that perverts won't be tempted, we should just throw the perverts off a cliff so everyone else doesn't have to be taught to treat the human body as some sort of vile toxic thing.

And it doesn't have to "lead" anywhere at all, because it isn't SUPPOSED to mean anything or lead anywhere.

Why should the entire society adopt a sick, stifling attitude regarding the human body because of a mentally screwed up minority?

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 04:34 PM
It's just a matter of decency and discretion. I see guys urinating at the side of the road or in a park sometimes, but I usually realize that they at least tried to find a bush to do it behind and I just caught them from a bad angle. At least these guys try to be discreet. I've seen women full on spill their boob out of their dress while sitting on a bench that faces a very heavy flow of passers by. She could, one, only reveal as much of the breast as is needed, two, find a quieter spot, three, face away from people or cover what's happening with a newspaper. Most seem completely oblivious to what the people around them are thinking.

Probably only you man.

Look, when i dont like the look of something, dont agree with it or whatever, i keep my nose out and move on. What you're doing is just empty whining. Fact is, there's nothing ANYONE can do to influence strangers to their desires (unless you start threatening people like a freak) , so you're just gonna have to drop the issue. Society--though maybe not american--becomes more open and accepting by the day, so youll just get left behind whining all the way if you keep this up. Dont like it, dont look.

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
When I was little in Germany it was quite normal for young children to be naked at public swimming pools or really any informal occasion in the park or whatever. And I live in the conservative South of Germany. We never had issues with perverts, and we didn't become perverts. Pervy clothing on children is different because it is sexual in a way that the human body is naturally not. Breastfeeding, like a 3 year old running around naked, is not sexual. We shouldn't be censoring the world so that perverts won't be tempted, we should just throw the perverts off a cliff so everyone else doesn't have to be taught to treat the human body as some sort of vile toxic thing.

And it doesn't have to "lead" anywhere at all, because it isn't SUPPOSED to mean anything or lead anywhere.

Why should the entire society adopt a sick, stifling attitude regarding the human body because of a mentally screwed up minority?

I see it a slightly different way. First of all, in the US, you don't see kids walking around naked in public. Maybe you'll see a kid getting changed at the beach [again, discretely], but in a park? No. But let's say kids do what you say they do at the swimming pool. Then let's say it's on the local news that there are perverts about in the area. Would mothers still let their kids run around naked?

Although I've always found exposure of the body distasteful, I didn't care as much about breastfeeding until I read a thread online where there was this guy talking about how it turns him on sexually, more than any other thing he's ever seen. That disgusted me. Ever since, my mind's been 100% made up on the issue.

Jens
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
I see it a slightly different way. First of all, in the US, you don't see kids walking around naked in public. Maybe you'll see a kid getting changed at the beach [again, discretely], but in a park? No. But let's say kids do what you say they do at the swimming pool. Then let's say it's on the local news that there are perverts about in the area. Would mothers still let their kids run around naked?

Yes they would, because our news media isn't obsessed with pushing mass hysteria and wouldn't report something as unremarkable as that. We like to put our energy into much more likely dangers like kids getting run over by cars. Also, most people here (in my state anyway) live in villages. People know each other and there is always some old person sitting by the windowsill, ready to call the police. As long as you keep em away from the catholic priests you're ok ;)

The fact is that the vast majority of sexual abuse is perpetrated by relatives or family friends, people who have access. It isn't the public that people need to worry about.

Although I've always found exposure of the body distasteful, I didn't care as much about breastfeeding until I read a thread online where there was this guy talking about how it turns him on sexually, more than any other thing he's ever seen. That disgusted me. Ever since, my mind's been 100% made up on the issue.

Ok, so instead of being disgusted by that guy and his weird ass pedophilic urges, you decided to turn on breastfeeding instead? :thumbdown

It's the pervert who is in the wrong, not the mother. No accommodations should be made for perverts, especially not at the expense of mothers and children.

tigerlily
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Ok, so instead of being disgusted by that guy and his weird ass pedophilic urges, you decided to turn on breastfeeding instead? :thumbdown

It's the pervert who is in the wrong, not the mother. No accommodations should be made for perverts, especially not at the expense of mothers and children.

Unfortunately people seem to be conditioned into blaming the victim nowadays - especially if that victim is female. We have gone from being an honorable people whose culture sought to protect women and show them respect, to a decadent one which automatically blames and vilifies them. :thumbsdwn

Jens
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately people seem to be conditioned into blaming the victim nowadays - especially if that victim is female. We have gone from being an honorable people whose culture sought to protect women and show them respect, to a decadent one which automatically blames and vilifies them. :thumbsdwn
Slow down there, note that Gustaaf is fairly alone on this thread, no need to be so negative. :happyum:

Þoreiðar
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
I think the practice of breastfeeding in public (when it's necessary, not for exhibitionism) and generally more casual nudity in the public sphere (like on beaches, or where ever else it is practical) would help change the current, sexual, perverted view on the naked human body. It's really no big wonder that most people have such a view, when nearly the only times it is presented to them, is in a sexual setting, and therefore automatically becomes associated with that, and treated as something abnormal. We would do well rather to embrace ourselves, and every aspect of our nature.

Frostbite
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Breastfeeding isn't dirty or wrong, breasts were made to feed babies.

If you wouldn't eat your lunch in a bathroom, why should a baby? Public restrooms are disgusting.

tigerlily
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Slow down there, note that Gustaaf is fairly alone on this thread, no need to be so negative. :happyum:

Oh, but I think these views are representative of the average American's, at least. On a forum like this the 'modern' regard for women may not be in evidence quite so much, but in the real world, where people are more diverse in their wordviews, it is pretty common. I am starting to think that revulsion to natural female things is merely a response to greater female freedom in society. I think it may be a way for some people to reassert male power which they feel is threatened. But this may be going off topic again. ;)

Jens
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Oh, but I think these views are representative of the average American's, at least. On a forum like this the 'modern' regard for women may not be in evidence quite so much, but in the real world, where people are more diverse in their wordviews, it is pretty common. I am starting to think that revulsion to natural female things is merely a response to greater female freedom in society. I think it may be a way for some people to reassert male power which they feel is threatened. But this may be going off topic again. ;)

Well that sounds depressing, glad I'm in Germany. I've lived in the US though, it's true, there is a lot of talk over who is the victim and who is being the douchebag all the time. There's less gender conflict here, despite the feminism. I think we generally love each other here :hug2:

I think off topic may be our mutual superpower.

Gustaaf
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 08:29 PM
I haven't been blaming the victim. I've been advising the potential victim on how not to become one and warning them of how their behavior might be perceived as exhibitionist. If we don't fuel perverts, they'll run out of gas.

Jens
Saturday, June 23rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
If Catholic Priests don't run out of gas in their environment, then other perverts won't either, no matter how much you restrict the basic freedoms of women and children.

Nordic Angel
Thursday, November 3rd, 2016, 03:50 PM
Breastfeeding is good and should be encouraged among young mothers. I don't see any good reason not to breastfeed your child except if you are ill or don't produce enough milk. Breast milk is the healthiest, it is for free and it's always available. Plus it is the normal and natural way to feed a small baby.

Breastfeeding is a good thing, but not if it's in public. I consider breastfeeding in public to be degenerate exhibitionism, and pornography involving a child.
What a sick attitude. Feeding a baby in the natural way has nothing to do with pornography or even sexuality at all. I don't hide when I eat something in public, so why should a mother and her baby?

Yeah, children may be around. So what? Does anyone think they get traumatized just because of seeing a baby eat? Nothing of this has to do with "sex or sexually related matters" at all.

Most seem completely oblivious to what the people around them are thinking.
My hungry baby matters more to me than some random people around. If you breastfeed discreetly they won't see anything, they will just see the baby's head. And that should be okay for them, otherwise they have a serious problem.

Georgia
Thursday, November 3rd, 2016, 05:00 PM
Mothers, if possible always breastfeed. I know here in the US with the terrible social structure and employees having very few benefits, less and less as times goes on, sometimes a mom cannot breastfeed. I remember the mother of my oldest grandson. Two weeks after a C-Section she had to return to work. I would keep the baby on the days would not work, and her mother would keep the baby on the days I worked. This continued for many years. She just wasn't physically able to breast feed not to mention the lack of time. Pumping and freezing would have not worked for there were not electric pumps available as they are today.

I was able to stay home with my first two children and I successfully breast fed. With my daughter, she is the youngest, because of physical reasons I only breastfed for 2 weeks giving her a good start.

In Deutschland, with still an excellent social structure which includes a lengthy maternity leave generously compensated compared to the standards here in the US as well as Kindergeld and health insurance, there isn't any reason why young couples cannot have a house full of children and every one of them breast fed by a stay home mom until the youngest gets school age and then, if it should become necessary for the household to continue once more as a two income one she then has plenty of time to re-enter the work force. While out taking care of children I am sure there are on-line studies available to keep up with the professional changes of ones Beruf/profession.

Studies without a doubt show the benefits of breast feeding and it is a lot cheaper than formula. Breastfeeding in public most certainly is not a shameful thing but is most natural. It can be done discretely no matter where the mom is with her baby. And those who are "offended" can just go where the sun don't shine, as far as I am concerned.

Georgia:)

renownedwolf
Thursday, November 3rd, 2016, 10:41 PM
My boy did not touch one drop of formula and is fitter, healthier, indeed smarter and with a closer bond with his mother than all his friends born at similar times.

Wulfaz
Friday, November 4th, 2016, 11:49 AM
It is interesting as in the modern Europe the breastfeeding is only one year, however among the Natural Tribes whos the Modern Civilization nor the Christianity do not destroy, there the women breastfeed the children till five years old. Well, there the women work too, however the scientist say that the men and women have so more freetime after the hunting and the housework (cook, leatherwork, etc.).

Ingvaeonic
Friday, November 4th, 2016, 12:56 PM
All infants ought to be breastfed for some length of time if at all possible. The benefits of breastfeeding for the child have been well known and attested to for a very long time.

GreenHeart
Thursday, March 16th, 2017, 02:10 AM
Breast is best... I breastfed both of my babies until 18 months, after that there was less interest from both sides... lol.

Another great thing to do is make your own fresh baby food using a small blender like a magic bullet, it's a healthier and better alternative to the preservative laden "baby food" with all the nutrients boiled out of it that they sell in stores. The third thing to do is bake fish, save three spoons of the oil, and mix it into the fish, or some potatoes and feed it to your baby. It really enhances their brain during the most critical development window.

It's also really nice to take hold of your baby's legs and exercise them, it will make them very strong and they'll get moving and walking a lot sooner. Two movements are good for that: the bicycle motion, and the motion of extending and contracting. Babies also really enjoy being exercised, they'll usually laugh and writhe around in joy. It's not so good to just leave them to lie around all day. My two cents...

Bayreuther
Monday, December 11th, 2017, 04:40 PM
I used to stand my babies up and walk them in between my legs with assistance so they can feel the movement of walking. I rarely used play-yards or cribs except for rest and let them roam in spirit in our rooms being baby-proof. Babies do like the movement games as they grow restless on their backs with age. Yes, I've chased many across the room, but I also stayed in shape. Older babies around 8 months can be taught "no" as long as you mean it consistently. What fun they can be! :D