PDA

View Full Version : Male facial attractiveness

Evolved
Sunday, May 25th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Women prefer more masculine faces during ovulation and more feminine faces at other points of the menstrual cycle.

Experimenters examining male facial attractiveness have concluded that the attractive male face is (1) an average male face, (2) a masculinized male face, or (3) a feminized male face. Others have proposed that symmetry, hormone markers, and the menstrual phase of the observer are important variables that influence male attractiveness.

This study was designed to resolve these issues by examining the facial preferences of 42 female volunteers at two different phases of their menstrual cycle. Preferences were measured using a 40-s QuickTime movie (1200 frames) that was designed to systematically modify a facial image from an extreme male to an extreme female configuration.

The results indicate that females exhibit (1) a preference for a male face on the masculine side of average, (2) a shift toward a more masculine male face preference during the high-risk phase of their menstrual cycle, and (3) no shift in other facial preferences. An examination of individual differences revealed that women who scored low on a "masculinity" test (1) showed a larger menstrual shift, (2) had lower self-esteem, and (3) differed in their choice of male faces for dominance and short-term mates.

The results are interpreted as support for a hormonal theory of facial attractiveness whereby perceived beauty depends on an interaction between displayed hormone markers and the hormonal state of the viewer.

http://evolution.anthro.univie.ac.at/institutes/urbanethology/student/html/bernhard/finkpro_male.html

http://whyfiles.org/shorties/faces.html

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~dmb/publications.html

StrÝbog
Sunday, May 25th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Another interesting hormonal observation is that women are attracted/repulsed by male scent to varying degrees depending on where they are in their cycle. :)

cosmocreator
Sunday, May 25th, 2003, 09:44 PM
<---- Is this a masculine or feminine face? Please say masculine.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Sunday, May 25th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Fionn mac Cumhaill
Another interesting hormonal observation is that women are attracted/repulsed by male scent to varying degrees depending on where they are in their cycle. :)

Not me, I always love man smell! LOL Well as long as it's not total BO!! :D

cosmocreator
Monday, May 26th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Vanessa
Not me, I always love man smell! LOL Well as long as it's not total BO!! :D

And I also like the way a woman smells. Unless she smokes in which cause she smells like a cigarette butt. All those yucky chemicals oozing out of her pores is a real turn off.

berserkergrrl
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 10:43 PM
My man doesn't DO "colognes" and I always like his scent and he mine.:D

stroker
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Women prefer more masculine faces during ovulation and more feminine faces at other points of the menstrual cycle.
I have read somewhere that this is the reason (read excuse) for adultery in some females.The long term partner may differ facially from the one she may want/choose during ovulation....hence the affair......it said that adultery was more likely to occur and often did show itself to occur more frequently during ovulation than any other time in the cycle.

I'd like to hear the opinion and personal experiences of the female members on this theory...if they would care to offer it.

Abby Normal
Wednesday, May 26th, 2004, 04:52 AM
This is total crap! I am attracted to feminine faces all the time (see my male attractiveness thread!) :P

Lucifer's Flowers
Tuesday, July 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Hot men are hot men. Period.

She-Wolf
Wednesday, August 11th, 2004, 05:23 PM
I like men with or without facial hair :)

Tyrsson
Wednesday, December 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Does taking the pill stop ovulation? If so, it may explain why women are more into feminine metro looking men these days as most are on the pill ?

Sifsvina
Thursday, December 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I think some people's ideas of what is considered masculine and feminine in men varies quite a bit -put long hair on a guy and some think he is fem unless he is scarred or bearded. I have not noticed a difference in what I like to look at depending on my cycle. The concept makes a little sense but don't know if I'd really give it general credence and I think it misses the mark somehow.
I like what I like and I like a strong jaw/cheekbones sculpted look:-) This often looks very masculine but sometimes very fem. I like refined strength and powerful grace.
:valkyrie