PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Radiation Harms DNA, New Study Finds

Evolved
Monday, December 20th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Mobile Phone Radiation Harms DNA, New Study Finds

Radio waves from mobile phones harm body cells and damage DNA in laboratory conditions, according to a new study majority-funded by the European Union, researchers said on Monday.

The so-called Reflex study, conducted by 12 research groups in seven European countries, did not prove that mobile phones are a risk to health but concluded that more research is needed to see if effects can also be found outside a lab.

The $100 billion a year mobile phone industry asserts that there is no conclusive evidence of harmful effects as a result of electromagnetic radiation.

About 650 million mobile phones are expected to be sold to consumers this year, and over 1.5 billion people around the world use one.

The research project, which took four years and which was coordinated by the German research group Verum, studied the effect of radiation on human and animal cells in a laboratory.

After being exposed to electromagnetic fields that are typical for mobile phones, the cells showed a significant increase in single and double-strand DNA breaks. The damage could not always be repaired by the cell. DNA carries the genetic material of an organism and its different cells.

"There was remaining damage for future generation of cells," said project leader Franz Adlkofer.

This means the change had procreated. Mutated cells are seen as a possible cause of cancer.

The radiation used in the study was at levels between a Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) of between 0.3 and 2 watts per kilogram. Most phones emit radio signals at SAR levels of between 0.5 and 1 W/kg.

SAR is a measure of the rate of radio energy absorption in body tissue, and the SAR limit recommended by the International Commission of Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection is 2 W/kg.

The study also measured other harmful effects on cells.

Because of the lab set-up, the researchers said the study did not prove any health risks. But they added that "the genotoxic and phenotypic effects clearly require further studies ... on animals and human volunteers."

Adlkofer advised against the use of a mobile phone when an alternative fixed line phone was available, and recommended the use of a headset connected to a cellphone whenever possible.

"We don't want to create a panic, but it is good to take precautions," he said, adding that additional research could take another four or five years.

Previous independent studies into the health effects of mobile phone radiation have found it may have some effect on the human body, such as heating up body tissue and causing headaches and nausea, but no study that could be independently repeated has proved that radiation had permanent harmful effects.

None of the world's top six mobile phone vendors could immediately respond to the results of the study.

In a separate announcement in Hong Kong, where consumers tend to spend more time talking on a mobile phone than in Europe, a German company called G-Hanz introduced a new type of mobile phone which it claimed had no harmful radiation, as a result of shorter bursts of the radio signal.

Yahoo! News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&e=8&u=/nm/tech_mobilephone_health_dc)

LupaFreo
Monday, December 20th, 2004, 10:20 PM
When I play music on the hi-fi the mobile phoned causes the machine to hum a few times, until I switch it off. I avoid sleeping when my mobile phone is on because I wake up feeling very stuffy, as I used to do when falling asleep with the TV left on. I put my ear to the back of my mobile phone and I could hear faint constant electric noises like those near a pylon or an electric cable hut. Apparantly its' still not safe to have a phone switched off either.

Evolved
Monday, December 20th, 2004, 11:20 PM
The cell phone is my least favorite modern invention.

I don't own a cell phone and I never want to. It causes brain tumors for god's sake. I don't understand these people who want to be bothered all the time, I don't want to be reachable. I want to be difficult to track down. And these dumbasses who use their cell phones to give a running commentary on every damn thing they do. Like you go in the grocery store and there's a woman waiting in line on a cell phone talking to her husband: "Oh, I'm at the store now. I'm in line at the checkout, buying some orange juice and tampons." WTF?

LupaFreo
Tuesday, December 21st, 2004, 11:48 PM
Yes, people use mobile phones excessively all the time for just about anything and its ridiculous. It's like they're keeping checks on eachother!?

I was given a mobile phone as a present because I didn't have one. I only use it for texting and emergencies. Its funny how mobile phone companies refuse to talk about the health risks.

Renwein
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2004, 12:10 AM
Talking on my mobile always makes me feel 'light headed' and fuzzy on that side for a few moments after I use it (and i've never used it for very long, for that reason). That puts me off for sure, I don't use it that often anyway, mostly for texting, the other thing is the ridiculous charges the companies extort out you for calls etc. compared with land phones. I wonder how younger kids can afford to use their phones, I don't recall having so much cash to spare as those things suck up ;). I never noticed anything wierd from just leaving it on in my room though. (but i'm turning it off now, hehe)

Another thing is the mobile phone masts that the companies manage to get put up everywhere, in peoples backyards and so on... Living near to power lines has been shown to increase the risk of cancer, and with the mobile masts expanding everywhere i kind of feel is if we're being bombarded with radiation all the time everywhere we go... :uhoh

Awar
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2004, 12:20 AM
Eh, I had to translate a bunch of scientific studies and texts about phone radiation from English for my current girlfriend, so I read a lot about it.

The conclusion in ALL the studies is that the scientists don't have a clue if it really causes harm. It's not a type of radiation which has long-term hazards, it's either not-obviously-dangerous, or it obviously wrecks tissue, DNA etc.

The levels of radiation emitted by mobile phones and base-stations are thousands of times smaller than the level of obvious danger.

My advice for everyone is to avoid using phones outside urbanized areas, or, in places where signal is low.

The high distance from base-stations makes the phone emit much more radiation than in urban areas. Still lower than known dangerous outputs... but, who knows....

Awar
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2004, 02:39 AM
They'll soon grow tired of it as a status symbol.
I hope the next fad won't be radioactive. :D