PDA

View Full Version : The Name Roderic (Visigothic King?)

son of Roderic
Saturday, December 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM
How and why did Germanic ancestors pass the name Roderic or Rodrigo on to the people of Hispania? I am very instrested in this because the patrynomic version of the name is my surname and is the maiden name of my oma on moms' side.

son of Roderic
Sunday, December 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I have searched on the web and found no reasons why or how this happened. Any helpful ideas or suggestions of where to look is greatly appreciated. Thank You :)

son of Roderic
Sunday, December 19th, 2004, 03:18 PM
How or why did the Germanic ancestors pass the name of their last king on to the people of Hispania? Or did the people of Hispania take this name for their own version from Roderic to Rodrigo hence the several variations including my surname and the maiden name of my oma on moms side "Rodriguez" the patrynomic version. I have found that Roderic means power but no reason given for how the last Visigothic Kings' name was carried on. Any ideas or direction is appreciated. I posted this thread accidentily in the wrong forum earlier and apologize to those who read it and thought"wrong forum dumb-ass" Thank You.:)

Prussian
Sunday, December 19th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I posted this thread accidentily in the wrong forum earlier and apologize to those who read it and thought"wrong forum dumb-ass" Thank You.:).......not a problem my friend, I merged the two together into one thread, however I moved it here to History & Culture as it covers your linguistic questioning better then what Anthropolgy & Racial studies is designed to do.:)

son of Roderic
Monday, December 20th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Thank you my friend your help is appeciated. I agree that history and culture is a better place for this question. I did get nervous and bummbled around a bit posting my first thread. I'm clearly a rookie and offer my thanks.

Prussian
Monday, December 20th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Thank you my friend your help is appeciated. I agree that history and culture is a better place for this question. I did get nervous and bummbled around a bit posting my first thread. I'm clearly a rookie and offer my thanks.........you're most welcome, while I am at it I will offer a friendly welcome & nice to have you on skadi, also if you have any questions do not hestitate to ask, you can reach myself or any other of the moderators through the private message system on the forum.:)

son of Roderic
Tuesday, December 21st, 2004, 02:20 AM
Vielen Dank! I think this forum is a great place for me to learn about the German culture, history, and like minded people from Europe. I enjoy the topics and think it's great for people who have pride in their race and culture to care enough about it to preserve it. Bis spater :)