PDA

View Full Version : Which Old Indo-European Languages do you speak/can you understand?

Shapur
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Which old Indo-European languages do you speak/can you understand?

Evolved
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Is English "old?"

I can read a little German, Dutch, little bit of Russian and Romanian. I used to be able to speak French, but all I remember really are the numbers, days, months, random words and alphabet.. I'm currently studying a non-IndoEuropean language, Hungarian. :devil

Siegfried
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Dutch and English. German I can read, but I'm not so good at writing and speaking it. I have some rudimentary knowledge of Latin, French, and ancient Greek.
What exactly do you mean by 'old' though? I suppose at least Latin and ancient Greek qualify.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Hungarian is not a language, but a throat disease. Same with Finnish and Basque. ;)

Phlegethon
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:10 PM
I speak or at least halfway understand German, English, Dutch, Koine, Latin and Spanish.

Shapur
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I can Avestan, Persian*, English, German*, Italian, Kurdish*.
Beside these I learn Latin*, Russian, Arabic and French.
Later I will also do my Doctor in Iranian languages. ;)
*=These languages I love

Phlegethon
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:25 PM
How about Sanskrit, Farsi and Urdu?

Shapur
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:29 PM
How about Sanskrit, Farsi and Urdu?

Farsi is Persian. Modern Persian changed the general Persian P->F.
Parsi->Farsi
Urdu I understand a bit, because it has so many Iranian loanwords.
Sanskrit to Avestan is the same as Dutch to German.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Sanskrit to Avestan is the same as Dutch to German.
Sure about that?

Shapur
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Sure about that?

Yes, but what is Koine?

Siegfried
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Yes, but what is Koine?

A form of ancient Greek.

Phlegethon
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:40 PM
The language of Hellenism (ca. 300 BC to 400) and the language of the New Testament, basically.

Shapur
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Old Greek language is very nice. Today Greek language lost its original sound and voice more like a Spanish language as a old Greek language. :~(

Shapur
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 07:51 PM
German, English, Latin, French and I can speak and understand some Spanish but my writing sucks.

You should also understand some Italian. But you solidify my view of Germans. I think the most Germans know more then 3-4 languages. ;)

Phlegethon
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 08:11 PM
With a knowledge of Latin you can at least understand the headlines of Italian and Spanish newspapers.

Awar
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I speak fluently Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Montenegrin and English. :D
I can understand most other Slavic languages, especially Macedonian.

I understand Italian, but damn me if I can write or construct a meaningful sentence in it.

Hungarian is basically Serbian played backwards. Sorta like those satanic messages on 70's rock songs ;)

Taras Bulba
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 10:54 PM
English along with some Russian. Languages do not come easily for me.

Pekku
Thursday, December 16th, 2004, 07:39 PM
English, German and Swedish (and somehow Norwegian and Danish).

Milesian
Thursday, December 16th, 2004, 10:19 PM
English with a little Spanish, French and Irish

ginoJDA
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 01:12 AM
English and Southern colloquial English Ya'll:D I understand and speak a little Spanish also.

Odin Biggles
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Good English, Bad English, some French and some German.

I have the books to learn German, but im too lazy :D.

Aistulf
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Dutch - Fluent.

Frisian - Understand it very well, couldn't speak nor write in it.
Luxemburgian - Understand it very well, couldn't speak nor write in it.
English - Fluent.
German - Understand it very well and can speak and write it relatively well.
Italian - Understand it very well and can speak and write it a little bit.
French - Understand most things and can speak and write it a very little bit.
Russian - Understand several things and can speak and write it a little bit already; still in the process of learning.

MGS
Friday, December 17th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I speak Portuguese, Spanish, English and French.

I can understand Italian but I canít speak.

At this moment I am learning German. I can understand already but I am not able to speak yet.

rusalka
Monday, December 20th, 2004, 09:22 AM
English, fluent; German basic reading knowledge (sorry Phleg); can understand some French and spell it but I'd rather not try speaking it; can read and write in Russian fluently but understand little and speak even less; nursery words, basic sentences and food names in Adighabze (which is not IE), Serbo-Croat and Bulgarian; can pronounce Italian correctly and impress people with whom I'm dining with (:P); understand Spanish subway and road signs (hehe); and the best damn Turkish you can hear, being the evil Eurasian that I am.

Theudanaz
Monday, January 3rd, 2005, 12:12 AM
Since we're bragging.... well I'll keep it to the old Indo-European languages as it says in the subject :D I studied linguistics for several years. Besides helping to reconstruct Proto-Germanic right now (see theudiskon on yahoogroups.com) in which I am well versed I have reading knowledge of Old English, Old Saxon, Old High German, Old East & West Norse (and Old Icelandic); I can read, write and "speak" Gothic, I have excellent knowledg of classical latin and greek, which I have studied for about seven years, basic knowledge of old church slavonic, lithuanian, latvian (close as I come to old baltic); oh yes and i have mostly unread grammars on tocharian, hittite, avestan, old persian, old prussian and old irish.:)