PDA

View Full Version : What's left of the Anglo-Saxon royal line?

Vanir
Monday, December 13th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Hail!
Just wondering, does anyone know who would be the heir to the throne of the Anglo-Saxon royal line today had they not lost at Hastings?? Are there even any traceable descendants left? In the recesses of my memory I dimly recall something about some fellow in South Australia being the descendant of Harold Godwinsson, but not sure.

Just thought it'd be interesting to know!

Regards,
Anders

Rhydderch
Thursday, January 6th, 2005, 06:04 AM
I think it would probably be impossible to know who is the actual heir to the throne because there is usually a fair bit of fighting between rival claimants to the throne anyway, so it can be a matter of opinion who is the heir.

I'm not sure if there are traceable descendants on the male line, but as far as I know the present Royal Family has ancestry on various sides which can be traced back to the pre-Norman monarchs of England, although they probably have ancestry from almost every European Royal Family; but even so the link with pre-Norman England is there.

Ahren_
Sunday, April 9th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Not only European royal families. Queen Elizabeth II is descended from Arab Moors of Spain, supposedly the direct descendants of Mohammed.

Æmeric
Sunday, April 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM
The last aetheling of saxon England was Edgar. He apparently did'nt have any legitimate children. Edgar's sister Margaret married the king of Scotland. Her daughter Edith married King Henry I & their daughter Matilda/Maud married Geoffrey of Anjou & became the ancestress of the Plantagenet dynasty. The kings of Scotland were descendent from Margaret's son King David I of Scotland. That line would descent through the Stuarts to the current jacobite pretender to the throne, Franz of Bavaria.

Flag-Soil
Sunday, April 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Harry Pothead and Willy look anglo saxon enough for me.

Weg
Sunday, April 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Not only European royal families. Queen Elizabeth II is descended from Arab Moors of Spain,

Jews too, so it is said. But I wonder how much all of this is actually accurate, though. Some Kings have been given such fantasist origins. For instance, I read Charlemagne would have been, by the Armenian and Persian Kings (do not wonder why), a descendant of Ramsès II, King David, Abraham, Noe, ... Adam... :|

supposedly the direct descendants of Mohammed.

A point in common with Saddam Hussein. :D

European royal families are all mixed. By dint of marry each others, they are all cousins to diverse degrees. Aristocrats' blood is a real mixture. Hard to make it out in such conditions. I'd bet your Anglo-Saxon royal line has been poured in the shaker.

Prince Eugen
Sunday, April 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM
About modern royalty and nobility wrote that they must get the swords than tennis rackets and coctails!
All a branch of spiritualy and biological degenerated b....rds who interesting more to the modern Life Style than to Reign!

karolvs
Sunday, February 18th, 2007, 03:45 AM
I don't know, but I can trace my ancestors back to him, but lke they said before me, all royalty married royalty but it seems like if you go back far enough all the royalty comes from Scandanavia, Vikings who after they conquered a place, would install a king, and they, did this all throughout Europe, even eastern europe.

Rhydderch
Monday, February 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM
The last aetheling of saxon England was Edgar. He apparently did'nt have any legitimate children. Edgar's sister Margaret married the king of Scotland. Her daughter Edith married King Henry I & their daughter Matilda/Maud married Geoffrey of Anjou & became the ancestress of the Plantagenet dynasty. The kings of Scotland were descendent from Margaret's son King David I of Scotland. That line would descent through the Stuarts to the current jacobite pretender to the throne, Franz of Bavaria.The daughter of James VI (I) was grandmother of George I, the first Hanoverian. The last Hanoverian was Queen Victoria, whose husband was the first Windsor (as they are now known), in which case the modern royal family would also descend from the Anglo-Saxon monarchs.

But the royals probably have many other lines of descent also traceable to the kings of Anglo-Saxon times.