PDA

View Full Version : How Much Per Anum to be Upper-Middle Class?

Ted
Thursday, December 9th, 2004, 12:53 AM
I realise there are geographical differences, but on average; how much money per year would one have to earn to be considered comfortably upper-middle class in America? Any other countries besides the USA are welcome to participate as well, but I'm mostly interested in the America.:-O

QuietWind
Thursday, December 9th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Here you go, but it does not show a dollar amount. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_structure_of_the_United_States

If I were to take a wild guess, I would say between 70,000-150,000. Anyone is more than welcome to correct me since I am only pulling numbers out of the air. :)

Nordic Dream Maiden
Friday, December 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM
I would like to calculate it as how many people or what base living expenditures you have; for example if your single and make 120 grand a year I would consider that on the upper middle class; if you and your wife w/three kids made 120 grand your middle class if your living in a big city/burbs; if that same family lived in a rural area where land/taxes/labor were cheap; you might be upper middle class. And yet if that same family made 35 grand in the big city; I don't know if I would classify them as lower middle class or upper poor class. Other than that it's hard to call, if you make alot of money and yet you have alot of big bills you can claim a certain class on what you make but live it different than the rest of that same class.

Ted
Monday, December 13th, 2004, 02:43 AM
"I realise there are geographical differences, but on average"

Thank-you Nordic Dream Maiden for your reply, but may I re-direct you to the opening statement I made in my original message, which I have rewritten for your convenience above.

Again, I know there are numerous geographical and demographic variables involved with a broad question such as the one I posed; however, I would appreciate a solid answer to this question and not a statement reiterating the dilemas I brought up in the first place. I'm not asking for an exact figure here. A range in U.S. dollars will do.;(

JoeDas
Monday, December 13th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Jennifer's estimate is very good, imo.

$60,000 - $140,000/year is what I would consider upper-middle class

Ted
Monday, December 13th, 2004, 03:53 AM
I'm probably wrong about this, but don't most American's of the Professional Class (eg. Surgeons, Lawyers, Business Executives, University Professors, High Level Civil Servants and Politicians, etc., etc.) earn over 100,000 dollars per year? I seem to remember reading that typical solid middle class--NOT Upper-Middle Class--occupations in America such as Policeman, Secondery School Teachers, Nurses, Chartered Accountants, Technicians, Shopkeepers and so forth, earn usually between 50,000 and 80,000 dollars a year in "middle" America. Therefore, wouldn't your low end figures be al ittle too low? I'll take a guess and say that for an American to be considered upper-middle class he would either have to own a large thriving business, or be a member of one of the professions that require a degree higher than a Bachelors Degree (eg. MD, MBA, JD, PhD.) On top of that he would have to earn between 100,000 and 250,000 dollars a year. I used 250,000 dollars for the high limit because I believe any income higher than that is charged at the highest tax rate by the American Inland Revenue Service.(:o

Wuotans Krieger
Friday, November 23rd, 2018, 06:08 PM
This is a typical American perception of a 'class' system-money, materialism. This is not the case in England. One's income does not determine one's class but one's parentage, breeding. The modern and debased class system is a shallow echo of the ancient Indo-European and Germanic caste systems-particularly so in the United States.