PDA

View Full Version : Skadi is Slow

Thorburn
Thursday, December 18th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Skadi Forum is slow as hell for me the whole day already, and that with only 20-30 users online.

How is it on your side?

I really can't stand this anymore. I reckon I have to move it. Expect some downtime while the site and domain is moved. -

Kind regards,

- Thorburn

Milesian
Thursday, December 18th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Yeah, lots of problems with it as well not posting my replies and not showing new posts on the NEW POSTS screen and the Main Forum Page.
It's a pain in the a*se alright.

Nordgau
Thursday, December 18th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Not really blitzing fast, but now in the moment it's quite okay for me. Was much worse sometimes in the last days...

Haldís
Friday, December 19th, 2003, 09:51 PM
it is so sloooooooooooooooow that i cant post.....

-Reginleif

Johannes de León
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Please, Njörd, can you give me an idea?

Because here it take ages to load each page.

Thorburn
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 02:32 PM
This is not a server issue or network issue within the server's network infrastructure.

The response time from South and North America (and also for me) is very fast, as you can see here:

http://www.hostpulse.com/app/networktools/ping.asp

You should run a trace route from your local machine, and see if there are any packet losses or slow response times. There might be a network problem anywhere on the route from from your ISP to Skadi. Alternatively, there could be a bottleneck somewhere on the route.

You could change your access route by trying out proxies and see if that improves the situation.

Johannes de León
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 02:41 PM
This is not a server issue or network issue within the server's network infrastructure.

The response time from South and North America (and also for me) is very fast, as you can see here:

http://www.hostpulse.com/app/networktools/ping.asp

You should run a trace route from your local machine, and see if there are any packet losses or slow response times. There might be a network problem anywhere on the route from from your ISP to Skadi. Alternatively, there could be a bottleneck somewhere on the route.

You could change your access route by trying out proxies and see if that improves the situation. Thanks for the response, but it seems that is only the forum, because when i try to access just www.skadi.net, it works great.

Perhaps it's a temporary problem, let's wait and see. :)

Johannes de León
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Problem Solved!

Thorburn
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Problem Solved!What did you do?

Johannes de León
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM
What did you do? I removed the 3cm tall dust from my PC's inside. :D and i also installed the new version of the browser.
That's it.
Perhaps the problem was solved by my ISP while i was cleaning my PC.

Wuotans Krieger
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2004, 09:18 PM
This is a constructive observation not a criticism.I have noticed that the board has been very slow and at times not accessable in the last 3 days.Is this due to all these new features being added to it?

Odin Biggles
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
Slow for me too, its not just us seems to be a server issue.

By making this post i have made it slower even more.

Bugger.

Siegfried
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Skadi is incredibly slow on occassion. Sometimes it takes me several minutes to open a thread (while posting a reply takes even longer) and there are even times when I cannot open a thread at all, instead receiving the message that my connection to forums.skadi.net was refused. I was hoping the new orientation would speed things up, but it didn't really help. Is it a problem at my end, or are more people experiencing this?

Aeternitas
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Mine is slow when I post a reply and extremely slow when I start a thread. Sometimes when I open a thread I get the "cannot find server" message but if I refresh it works.

Thorburn
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Skadi is incredibly slow on occassion. Sometimes it takes me several minutes to open a thread (while posting a reply takes even longer) and there are even times when I cannot open a thread at all, This has been caused by an indexing script that ran for several hours indexing the whole of VHO. It eventually absorbed half of the physical memory causing the machine to swap out repeatedly. It terminated its task, thus the forum is fast again. Nothing that can avoid this but another Gig or two of physical memory.

I was hoping the new orientation would speed things up, but it didn't really help. Is it a problem at my end, or are more people experiencing this? It decreased the load by at least 30-40% already. *NIX load now hardly ever exceeds 2.50, even during peak time. On the long run, we might have to to close the forum for guests during peak time and we should probably also get rid of people that contribute little of value.

instead receiving the message that my connection to forums.skadi.net was refused.
Mine is slow when I post a reply and extremely slow when I start a thread. Sometimes when I open a thread I get the "cannot find server" message but if I refresh it works. A script I wrote reads the *NIX load every five minutes and if it exceeds 10.0 -- meaning basically if the machine started swapping and if there are too many new forum database requests that make it impossible for the machine to find time to swap back -- it will terminate the web server, giving the machine a minute without new requests, so that it can free memory again.

While the machine swaps, the forum won't react or only very slowly. While the web server is terminated you will receive "Connection refused."

Thereafter, the script will start the webserver again.

The complete procedure avoids that the server becomes unreactive for hours until someone reboots it. Again, nothing that could avoid swapping but a memory upgrade. So unless someone donates an additional $600/year, I guess, you'll have to learn to live with it. ;)

Actually, I should enable the vBulletin *NIX load limit -- which might improve the situation.

Zyklop
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Why not completely close the lowbrow sections for guests and members with less than, for example, 50 posts?
Low-quality posters wouldn´t visit anymore while contributors still would have a place for lowbrow discussion.

Loki
Sunday, December 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
I know you may have difficulty in accessing the forum lately, or making posts. Database errors show up frequently. I have purchased a server upgrade a few days ago, and should kick in pretty soon - for an excellent posting experience! :icon_bigg The new server is apparently up to 10 times faster than the current one...

cosmocreator
Sunday, December 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I noticed it was slow this morning. Excellent news on the upgrade though. :icon_ques

Ulf
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Maybe it's just me but recently BuB seems to load really slow. Anyone else experiencing slower load times for BuB? Other forums I go to load just fine, but BuB takes maybe 3x as long to load.

Blood_Axis
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
No, it's not just you. There must be a problem with the server today. :(

Papa Koos
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
For me BuB has been loading slowly for the past few days. I thought it was my contraption.

Ewergrin
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
BuB will be this slow indefinitely. We've switched to a new server, meaning we are no longer on a dedicated one. This means much slower load times. We shall just have to endure it.

Gagnraad
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Endure it untill we hopefully get our own server, one day. That is one of my dreams, our own BuB-Server... Doesn't it sound wonderful? :D
Although, expensive...

Edenkoben
Monday, October 1st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Quality always takes time.:bub

Ulf
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks. Just wanted to check and make sure my machine wasn't being funky.

I guess I'll have to learn some patience! :bub

ladybright
Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 04:07 AM
We will all deal with it but I will not be able to stop by for five or ten minutes as often. BuB is definately worth the wait. Until my DSL kicked in today it seemed like it was taking forever.

Athalwulf
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 03:35 PM
For the past few days the website has been extremely slow for me. When I try to go to the forums it takes about 5 minutes to load and does the same thing when I try to go to any section of the website.

It took me 10 minutes to get to this page to type this.

QuietWind
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Not slow here. Maybe it is your internet connection. Sometimes after a good rain mine gets sluggish.

BeornWulfWer
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
It is slow for me too.

It isn't my connection speed, though. It is perfectly fine on every other part of the internet, bar this forum.

:shrugs

Aeternitas
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
It's not your connection. I noticed this too, along with Forseti. He rebooted the server, but we didn't gain much. As there was enough free memory and plenty of idle CPUs, there had to be another problem. Our router is down. Even the upstream router is down. That means the traffic goes there, but doesn't go through; after there is a timeout, it gets rerouted over another router. And it's the wait for the timeout, until the system notices the traffic can't flow and it has to send it over a different path which causes the delays. So we dropped a ticket to the host and now we are waiting to see how it goes.

QuietWind
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Am I the only person that it isn't slow for? :scratch

Annikaspapa
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM

...slow for me! you must be "special".

Gorm the Old
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Yes, me. This isn't just access to the site. Within the site, nothing works correctly. If I finally manage to read a post, I can't get back to Skadi Forum when I'm done. Usually, after a long wait, I sign off having managed to read one post.

I'm amazed that I was actually able to reply to this thread, this time. Yesterday, I tried to reply to a thread and , after a very long wait, I finally gave up, never having got the "Reply to Thread" window.

I hope that this problem can be corrected soon. It is very discouraging.

Sigurd
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM

It isn't slow for me either, but consider I use university computer - if it takes 50% longer to load, it's still less than two seconds. :P

Mrs. Lyfing
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 05:36 PM
It isn't slow here either. :)

Thusnelda
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I experience no slow board-performance here. At least it hasn´t changed significantly in the last weeks.

Ulf
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Can barely load the site. Yesterday couldn't even get to the site.

I'm glad I at least got here today, I was having withdrawals yesterday.

EDIT: well of course after I post this Skadi loads normally!

Athalwulf
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
As others have said, this is the only site that is slow for me, although now the problem seems to have been fixed.

BeornWulfWer
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Working a lot better now. It is a vast improvement from yesterday and earlier today.

:thumbup

Pino
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
seems ok today, the other day it was slow beyond belief.

Forseti
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
The datacenter sent me an email yesterday that the customer access router to our server is damaged and that it will be replaced within 48 hours.

I feel they have done this already.

SwordOfTheVistula
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
No problems here, I use FireFox

Athalwulf
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
No problems here, I use FireFox

So do I, and I had speed problems only on this website, no others.

Loddfafner
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
One suggestion that might make Skadi more readily loadable is to collapse the sections on the front page and pare it down, as that is probably the most frequently loaded page. For example, combine the different Germanic Communities fora into one button that would open onto a menu of its subcategories.

Carl
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
It seems to be running fast enough here - so maybe its a matter of local connections. Always tricky to know.... but then, time of day is also a factor. Amendments of the system I imagine to be potentially a fairly complex and technical matter (??)

Nachtengel
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yesterday it was a little slower than usual but today it's back to normal. :thumbup