PDA

View Full Version : Which Runes Symbolize You?

:hveðrungur:
Monday, December 6th, 2004, 03:08 PM
All of the runes have different meanings and many people relate to different runes. Which runes represent yourself?

Othila for soil, healing, keep a familly strong and together through times of trouble.

Algiz for healing and life, protection (I have a big algiz I made out of a tree that I now have hanging over my bed) along with emotional stability we each need sometimes in life when going through troublesome times.

Tiwaz Tyr, the son of odin who by most people new to odinism look past when thinking of powerfull gods, everyone thinks thor but tyr IMO was more powerfull than thor. Try was the god of war, verry powerfull, noble and brave (qualities I like to think I have living strong inside me).

Thurisaz Aid for meditation and study, along with self discipline (something most people these days just dont have sadly) and helping you gather the knowledge to get out of a bad situation, a really powerfull and helpfull rune.

:)

Monday, December 6th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Come on fellow heathens, I know your out there, grow a pair and post a reply damnit :P

Willowsprout
Monday, December 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
That would be my choice

Othila for soil, healing, keep a familly strong and together through times of trouble.

Monday, December 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Actually those were my choices, you can choose any of the runes you want as your own. Sorry I should have been a little more clear on the thread.

Willowsprout
Monday, December 6th, 2004, 07:00 PM
I still want to choose that one

Monday, December 6th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Thats fine :)

Here is a whole list of the runes and some extra stuff on each one. http://www.nastrond.net/runes.html

Note: "Wyrd" is not a real rune, never was and never will be part of the elder futhark. Its as much a true rune as the Wolfsangel is (which anyone who knows anything about runes knows it isnt a rune either :))

Thorburn
Monday, December 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM
http://www.runen.paacollection.de/assets/images/Rune-17-sm.jpg

The rune's name: Tiwaz
The Meaning: Warrior, The god Tyr
The sound: T
The Germanic name: Tys (Tiwaz)
The Norse name: Týr
The Anglo Saxon name: Tir, Tiw
The Icelandic name: Týr
The Norwegian name: Ty

Tiwaz embodies the strength of the “inner warrior” to carry us through hardship and opposition. Being a warrior in this fuller sense relates to discipline, courage, tenacity, and principled action. Live your own truth rather than submitting to domination from outside. Draw upon your strength for the benefit of others, defending your friends, family, and community and standing up for those who are too weak to protect themselves. On a planetary level, it is also imperative that we begin turning our warrior energy in defense of our fragile world rather than ceaselessly warring with nature and one another.

Tiwaz

Seit der ältesten Zeit begegnen die himmlischen Wesen in der Dreiheit. Die 3 x 3, die Vorstellung von insgesamt neun Aspekten der Gottheit, tauchte erst später in der religiösen Geschichte auf.

Plinius und Tacitus nennen die drei westgermanischen Mannus-Stämme: Istaevonen, Herminonen und Ingaevonen, die auf die drei Beinamen des Himmelsgottes Istwio, Irmino und Ingwio zurückgehen.

Uralte Lieder, die schon zur Zeit des Tacitus aus ferner Vorzeit stammen, singen von den drei göttlichen Ahnen. In der urgermanischen Form lauten sie Istwaz, Ermnaz und Ingwaz. Sind es Brüder, verschiedene Götter oder uralte Erscheinungsformen einer einzigen Gottheit? Letzteres ist wahrscheinlich.

Die Istaevonen nannten ihren strahlenden Gott Tiwaz Istwaz, den "Flammenden" (Wurzel idg.= brennen, flammen oder isi= glänzen, leuchten). Tiwaz war das Attribut, das alle drei Stämme dem Ahnennamen voransetzten, der allgemeine Name des Sonnen- und Himmelsgottes, des Beschützers in Krieg und Frieden.

Das zentrale Stammesheiligtum der Istaevonen war der Istenberg bei Olsberg-Bruchhausen in Süd-Westfalen, Hochsauerlandkreis.

http://www.philognosie.net/article/112/2.jpg

Der Istenberg mit seinen herausragenden vier Felsen, den heutigen "Bruchhauser Steinen", gehört zu der mittlerweile weltweit entdeckten Kultur der Groß-Skulpturen, die noch früher als die eigentliche Megalithkultur anzusetzen ist. Während die Menschen, die die megalithischen Bauwerke schufen, etwa von 4000 bis 1500 v. Chr. lebten, muß die Kultur der Groß-Skulpturen mindestens in der ausgehenden Alt-Steinzeit, zwischen 8500 und 6700 v. Chr. entstanden sein, wenn nicht schon im Aurignacien, um 32.000 v. Chr.

Meterhohe figürliche Plastiken und Gesichter zieren die Steine. Fotografien der Felsformationen sind sehr überraschend. Dennoch ist die Theorie umstritten, da nirgendwo eindeutige Bearbeitungsspuren sichtbar sind.

thunarsson
Wednesday, April 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I would say Hagalaz because it shows the constraint that is needed at the moment but Uruz is there ready to explode when called upon!:D I feel a strong parallel with that Rune.

Stroem
Tuesday, June 27th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I would choose Sowulo, because I would describe me and my life as a traveller on a long journey and at the end of this journey I will have success and glory and I will have progressed a lot. I think also that the sun is a very important symbol for spiritual power.

Hrafn
Saturday, August 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Naudhiz: It is a gentle, nudging reminder that all is not as it should be. Life appears to be out of synch, and nothing seems to be going right. No matter how much you have, it is never enough, and there is an ever present desire for something more, something better. On the positive side, this dissatisfaction with the status quo can serve to draw one away from the relative safety of wunjo and motivate towards change. Nauiz represents an imbalance between one's desires and one's assets. How you resolve this situation will influence the rest of the journey, but the awareness of the imbalance itself can also be illuminating. It causes you to closely examine and perhaps reassess your values and priorities, and forces you back onto the path of your own happiness. Perhaps mythologist Joseph Campbell said it best when he enjoined us to 'follow our bliss'; in other words, that we will know that we are on the right track spiritually when we are doing those things which make us the most happy and fulfilled. Nauiz helps us to take the first step on that path by letting us know when we have strayed from it.

Thurisaz: Thurisaz is the first of the 'obstacle' runes. These obstacles are not necessarily destructive things, but are placed in our path to strengthen and teach us. The lesson of this rune is 'to learn you must suffer', meaning not only literal suffering, but also in the biblical sense of 'allowing' - allowing one's destiny to unfold as it should, and allowing one's self to experience all that life offers us. What may at first appear to be a negative, destructive event, may well turn out to contain an important lesson. The Giants may seem to be evil and destructive to the Aesir, but they bring about change, and eventually clear the way for a new age.

nastrond.net (http://www.nastrond.net/)

Saturday, August 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM
http://www.nastrond.net/runes.html

Hahaha... I can not believe I linked to that crappy website :D

Hrafn
Saturday, August 12th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Hahaha... I can not believe I linked to that crappy website :D

I think the "Analysis" are OK, but then again, I'm no rune expert.

Wolfssangel
Monday, August 28th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I choose for Othila. I love the symbol for Odal rune.

http://arthistoryclub.com/art_history/upload/thumb/4/42/50px-Odalrune.png

Waldeule
Monday, August 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'm not wholly sure but due to my reading of runes and making oracles with them I think I'm mostly bond to Kenaz/Kauno. It is the rune standing for an inner fire and for creativity and inspiration. But I feel also a link to Odal/Othila because of the bondage to the soil. Though Ansuz/Aar has its attraction to me because of the spirituality it implies.
It is not easy for me to determine it wholly.

Pythia
Friday, October 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Ansuz- Wish for communication of wisdom and knowledge, divine and mundane. The vibration of creation. Communication across all the spheres.

Bindrune of Kenaz and Lagu- Intellectual and intuitive recognition of connective relationships and synchronicities.

Elhaz- Invocation of personal power. Connection with archetypical forces.

These represent personal aspirations, NOT actualities..yet. :-)

Deutschkanadier
Friday, December 18th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I was just wondering how many of you have a specific rune you self identify with. I have always had a strong connection with the Uruz rune. I have never really known what it symbolizes but I have always been drawn to it.

Hersir
Friday, December 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM
The Odal rune, for heritage

arvak
Saturday, December 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
It is a group of them
Gar is the breath odinn
quernvarz is the blood loddur
stanvarz is the spirit of honir
thurisaz is the physical body thor
algiz other wise known as eloyx is the embodyment of the all unifying of the mind,body,spirit.:thumbup

Hrodnand
Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Thurisaz or Thurs

http://www.weidenfloete.de/bilder/21thurisaz.jpg

The energy of Thurisaz can be used for good or for chaos. It represents the forces of the human psyche, including anger and lust, the thorn is a symbolic weapon, it can pierce, stab or tear but it can also be protective, like a thorny hedge.

Thurisaz is the sacrifice that one must make in order to make progress in life. It is the very essence of discipline. This rune references the pain that must be endured for the reward that lies at its end.

Fyrgenholt
Friday, September 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Isa (or Thurisaz), Jera. The wheel keeps on turning and the balance is maintained; just as spring follows winter and the coming warmth melts the frost, all truly great things are earned through hardship. A harsh winter gives for a strong harvest. A boy becomes a man. Transition, growth.

Incidentally, I'm an absolute novice with the runes, and I'm looking for a little advice (and in order to avoid sounding too sloppy, I'm going to avoid the details ;)): which rune would be best to carve (ie, Tiwaz into an oak stave) to invoke protection, strength and the overcoming of hardship? If I were to take the material from a living tree, what precautions should be taken? Does anyone know how to make a natural, herbal, ink? If so, what colour should be used with the suggested rune and should a drop of blood be added to the mixture (I've heard such a thing be said before, however I'm unsure of whether or not it is actually the correct thing to do)? Lastly, would anything else that I have not mentioned need to be added to the process of carving the rune? If this is a little too off-topic, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me towards an existing thread (I can't find one that goes in to the necessary detail), and if not I could always start a thread of my own.

Thornheim
Monday, October 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM
hagalaz is me. the rune of hail,and the rune of breaking. its a warriors rune,as well as a rune of protection.

Ocko
Monday, October 25th, 2010, 04:20 PM
The most power has ANSUZ, followed by UR and THURISAZ.

I use them the most.

Thorwolf
Monday, October 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I am most in tune with Tiwaz/Tyr, For many reasons.The Tyr rune speaks of being a warrior, and also of self sacrifice.

I list on my profile under religion[odinist] but really I like to think of Odin, Thor, and Tyr as a sort of northern holy trinity!

Valkar
Thursday, May 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I see myself with the Tìwaz Rune, because it refers to the god Tyr/Tiwaz, the god of my Ancestors, the Tubanti. I get connected to them with this rune

Its also refers to victory, that makes me strong when i see the people of earth getting worser and worser. It makes me strong and says keep going.

The Rune also stands for Wisdom and Justice, that connects me with my name, Ewàld, that means, battler of Justice/Wisdom.
I am connected with the Tìwaz rune.