PDA

View Full Version : I need some help about clockwork orange

anti-climacus
Sunday, December 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM
What is the actual pyschological problem that alex has pre-treatment?

Blood_Axis
Sunday, December 5th, 2004, 10:11 PM
The treatment implemented upon Alex was a behavioraly-oriented intervention based upon the rules of Pavlovian conditioning (classical conditioning) and Skinnerian behaviorism.

Bahaviorism does not recognise a "psychological condition" or "problem", but focuses upon a specific unwanted behavior that needs to be alleviated and uses the principles of stimuli association to achieve that goal.
I.e. it targets the symptom (the manifestation of the problem) and does not search/care for the underlying cause of the symptom.

In his case, the unwanted behavior to be modified was his violent and aggressive behavior.

As you remember, they tied him down and made him watch a series of films that showed acts of physical violence taking place.

The stimulus of violence (film watching) was paired with an unpleasant stimulus inflicted upon Alex, such as pain and nausea.

In the end, Alex was shown to still exhibit some tendency to violence, but whenever he tried to engage into a violent act, he felt sick and nauseus and could not continue.

Therefore the pairing of the two stimuli was successful and the targetted behavior was in fact alleviated, regardless of whether his motivation or appetite for violence were not.

Imperator X
Monday, March 28th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I find that that film makes me nauseous. They made it so that he couldn't ever get sexually excited, touch a woman or have children without getting horribly sick. Disgusting. It did nothing for me.

Jack
Wednesday, June 1st, 2005, 04:58 AM
I was reading the book last year and I came across an interesting point in the introduction. The purpose of the book was to explore whether it was better to choose to do evil or be forced to do good.

To answer the question, Alex was a psychopath.

User
Friday, June 17th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Stanley Kubrick was Jewish. The film is about the level of individual independence in a society. The point is that as humans degenerate the level of it falls and Alex is a threat to lesser men and so the Big Sister government destroys what of him is a threat, reducing him to the level of the flock ironically through doing to him what was in him threatening. It is double-degradation.:thumbup

Appalachian
Friday, June 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Stanley Kubrick was Jewish.

But Anthony Burgess, the book's author, was not.

itsallaroundyou
Wednesday, August 10th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Don't forget that the Clockwork Orange most Americans are familiar with is missing the last chapter of the book. Anthony Burgess penned a 21st chapter which was removed by some editor (against the author's wishes) for American publication. The Kubrick movie is based on this American version.

In this 21st chapter, Alex emerges as a free individual, regaining his appreciation for music and no longer having violent impulses. In his own words,

"Tomorrow is all like sweet flowers and turning vonny earth and the stars and the old luna up there and your old droog Alex all on his oddy knocky seeking like a mate."

If you want to understand what Anthony Burgess was getting at with this book (a study of free will), reading this last chapter is essential.