PDA

View Full Version : Classify skull

Gareth
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 03:58 AM
http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=27346&stc=1

I can give an exact solution later. You will be surprised.

Allenson
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 03:59 PM
Hmmm, these are always tough.

Smooth and rounded vault, shallow mandible (height wise), reasonably high nasal bone, little in the way of brow-ridges and rather gracile in general.....

Your comment: "You will be surprised" makes me hesitant to guess. ;)

I wish I could see a frontal view.

Alpinized Med??

Zyklop
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 04:02 PM
I donīt know which subrace but I assume it is a female skull.

edit:
Seeing that this was posted in the Paleoanthropology and Genesis Forum it might be a bit ancient too. :D

Frans_Jozef
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Looks like some Middle to Late Neolithic finds in passage graves or tumuli of Denmark.

The occiput is way rounder than in these Danish skulls which tend to circumscribe a loaf-like contour, otherwise this female(?) might be the morphological sister or niece of Uggerslevgaard II.
Face height and shallow mandible obtain in both cases a Lapponoid character, but usually there's where it end because of the narrow bizygomatic breadth.
I might scan her picture one of these days to compare both ladies.

Gareth
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM
It was not a lady but a male from Germany, I'm going to reveal his name.

Alpinized Med, in other words Dinaricized would be a possibility (I'm not sure) and the place guessed by Frans isn't far off either.

I also remember that the brain weight or endocranial volume was estimated to had been about 1550 cc. He also was a modern person, he lived only few centuries ago.

Allenson
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 07:24 PM
Alpinized Med, in other words Dinaricized would be a possibility (I'm not sure)

I know what you mean--but that's not what I meant. ;) I see Alpine in the general roundness and smoothness of the vault and Med in its gracility (shallow jaw, lack of brow-ridges).

To me, the face is too short and the occiput too rounded for a Dinarid...

Awar
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Interesting. I've never seen a real live Dinaric ( here in the Balkans ) who has a total absence of at least some UP features.

Gareth
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 02:05 AM
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=27917

Thanks for classifying anyway.

Awar
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Goethe huh... The pictures resemble a Borreby/Dinaric mix, but the skull is way too smooth for that.

Ok, let me guess, he had a huge mellon, right?
Perhaps that's why its proportions look a bit 'female'?

Gareth
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Goethe huh... The pictures resemble a Borreby/Dinaric mix, but the skull is way too smooth for that.

Ok, let me guess, he had a huge mellon, right?
Perhaps that's why its proportions look a bit 'female'? Probably, yes.