PDA

View Full Version : Does the Saxon king on the banner look like a Slav street bum?

Thorburn
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 02:55 AM
The banner could at least have 2 attractive people, instead of a gorgeous young lady paired with a man who looks like the homeless bums who lay on the street coughing from tuberculosis and asking for money to buy liquor. This is not meant to be insulting, it is just an observation. The girl is very nice, why not pair her with a suitable male?
He does resemble this bum who often hangs out at the main square in one of the towns in Slovenia... :scratch
It's the Saxon king. The Saxons being, needless to say, the Germanic tribe with arguably the most impressive history and achievements, manifested both through Germany and England. It's probably not an entirely inaccurate cultural representation of Germanic culture in medieval times, and I actually like the image a lot. :scratch

Anyway, if you have better proposals, feel free to submit them. We could make a poll or have different banners, as before. http://forums.skadi.net/images/logos/images/Germanic.jpg

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=27165

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=27194&stc=1

Well, does he look like a street bum or not? :)

QuietWind
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 02:59 AM
I just wanted to add that the guy in the banner is perfectly okay. why is it that some people get silly about a banner with a pretty young female and an older male? My husband used to have the banner with the guy on it as the one displayed on his page. :thumbsup @Njord

Odin Biggles
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 03:08 AM
I just wanted to add that the guy in the banner is perfectly okay. why is it that some people get silly about a banner with a pretty young female and an older male? My husband used to have the banner with the guy on it as the one displayed on his page. :thumbsup @Njord No, it was just quite funny that he looks like a homeless bum who begs for money.

Also the lady is staring with glee at the mans err manhood :-O

QuietWind
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 03:44 AM
She is not starring at his......! Only you would think of that, Biggles. I have already decided that you are really a 14 year old disguised as an 18 year old in order to access the adult forum. :D So, if you don't like the girl, change her. Find one who is starring into his eyes adoringly. ;) He is not a street bum. I am sure they do not offer clothing like his at the local Salvation Army. None of our street bums here in America look anything like he does. Their skin is much darker, their eyes on the ground, and they hold signs that say "Will work for food. God bless you."

Triglav
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 04:08 AM
How would you people know? Even I have seen only one (Slavic) homeless person who looks like him (nose, beard, but not the braids ;)) - which is not my fault, I'm sorry ;). A derelict resembles a celebrity - big deal...

I've never even said that this characterises the "Saxon King" in any way. I liked some of the characters in the movie (including this Saxon, but not particularly his son).

“Arthurrr... wherever I go on this wretched island, I hear your name. Half whispered... as if you were a - god...”

Odin Biggles
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 05:02 AM
She is not starring at his......! Only you would think of that, Biggles. I have already decided that you are really a 14 year old disguised as an 18 year old in order to access the adult forum. :D So, if you don't like the girl, change her. Find one who is starring into his eyes adoringly. ;) He is not a street bum. I am sure they do not offer clothing like his at the local Salvation Army. None of our street bums here in America look anything like he does. Their skin is much darker, their eyes on the ground, and they hold signs that say "Will work for food. God bless you."
I have posted my pictures up on this forum many times and if you check my profile i dont go into the Adult forum :D.

At least i put my pictures up, i doubt many others would.

Abby Normal
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 06:36 AM
I am none too sure about the "Slav Street Bum" part, but he is unattractive, espacially juxtaposed with what is to be found on his left.

Despite what I said earlier about posting only in the Free Speech/ Opposition sections, I am willing to assist the forum in this situation by finding a better example of a Germanic male (the guy on a commercial for Pringles, I think it was, perhaps?)

The other appropriate option would be to ditch the supermodel and include a "Primordial Germanic" female along with the "Primordial Germanic" male. All in all, tribesmen of antiquity do not mix well with their modern, makeup-heavy counterparts. ;)

Marius
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 12:53 PM
He is ok. I voted for the third option, like a joke.

Why is this so important, anyway? People come on Skadi for the banners?

Zyklop
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 01:05 PM
How about this guy?

Bronze Age Warrior by Wilhelm Petersen 1935

Marius
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
How about this guy?

Bronze Age Warrior by Wilhelm Petersen 1935

It's very artistical and of course better, but would it be in the same tone with a photo of a girl? I don't know, it is just not the same type of art, photo and drawing.

And he has a hooked nose... Oh, that's baaaad... :D

Zrinski
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 04:31 PM
On the first picture(which is on the banner) he really looks like some bum, but on the second picture he looks quite okay.

Btw. is there a difference bertween a Slavic street bum and a Germanic street bum? :lol

Triglav
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 04:37 PM
On the first picture(which is on the banner) he really looks like some bum, but on the second picture he looks quite okay.
I agree. It's a lousy pic.

Btw. is there a difference bertween a Slavic street bum and a Germanic street bum? :lol True, yeah. ;)

Verslingen
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM
What movie or tv show is he from?

verslingen

Triglav
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 05:14 PM
What movie or tv show is he from?

verslingen
King Arthur:

http://kingarthur.movies.go.com/main.html

Nordgau
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Maybe he only needs a shower and a good hot cup of coffee, furthermore a haircut, a shave, and a new pair of glasses. :giggle

http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~gg1/grafik/beratung/thierse.jpg

Abby Normal
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Why does the guy need to be attractive anyway? He doesn't look bad in my opinion anyway, well maybe a bit old... :P but still, come on, it's an image of the fighter with the long hair and beard, a Germanic spirit... I'd like a poster like that on the walls of my room. I'd surely prefer it to some of today's models or commercial stars. I also like the contrast between 'now and then' on the banner.You don't think it silly and inonsistent that women 'need' to look polished and attractive while men do not?

You know as well as I that all the men of Skadi would be up in arms if the woman in the banner was as crusty-looking as that fellow. :P

Julius
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Stellan Skarsgård is a good guy. :~(

Odin Biggles
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Why not just have a picture of scenery from a Germanic country, wont get any more debate about how old a man is and imo it would look better.

Gil
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Well, stating that the dude represents the germanic spirit is a personnal opinion. If we are talking about phenotype, sure, if we are talking about iconicism (being him an icon which represents virtues of something) yeah sure.
I the same way I think Clive Owen would be perfect representing the Roman ideal of man, phenotypically and iconically.

http://www.moviecitynews.com/arrays/images/2003/king_arthur/arthur_2.jpg

And about the slav thingie.... I can't stop thinking "viking" when I look at the face of the dude who portraied Gawain:

http://www.fan-sites.org/kingarthur/gallery/albums/KnightsWoads/Gawain/04.jpg

perhaps it's because I tend to associate the vikings with a more "tall but lean" type than the germanic tribesman.

Cheers

QuietWind
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I have posted my pictures up on this forum many times and if you check my profile i dont go into the Adult forum :D.

At least i put my pictures up, i doubt many others would.
Haha, no I have never bothered looking at your profile. :P I have only seen your overeager talk about women.

Anyhow, I have seen your photo and that does not mean that you are the age you claim to be. Many people look older or younger in photos than they are in reality. I happen to have posted my pic also and have it on my profile.

Back to what this thread ia about. I still like the guy that is on the banner.:)

Aistulf
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Well, stating that the dude represents the germanic spirit is a personnal opinion. If we are talking about phenotype, sure, if we are talking about iconicism (being him an icon which represents virtues of something) yeah sure.
I the same way I think Clive Owen would be perfect representing the Roman ideal of man, phenotypically and iconically.

I'd pick Octavian Augustus over him.

http://www.stormfront.org/whitehistory/hwr12a_files/oct2.JPG

perhaps it's because I tend to associate the vikings with a more "tall but lean" type than the germanic tribesman.
The Vikings are a Germanic tribe.

Jack
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Anyway, if you have better proposals, feel free to submit them. We could make a poll or have different banners, as before.Haha, alright then, Charlemagne/Karl Der Grosse and Catherine the Great (both Germans). Damn I'm good :D

Night Ocean
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 08:22 AM
No, it was just quite funny that he looks like a homeless bum who begs for money.

Well, how else would look a man of the "dark ages"?

Stríbog
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Haha, alright then, Charlemagne/Karl Der Grosse and Catherine the Great (both Germans). Damn I'm good :D

Charlemagne may have been Germanic, but I wouldn't call him German. He was in fact a sworn enemy of the Germans of that time for their "paganism." He put thousands upon thousands of innocent Saxons to the sword in the name of a Jew on a stick.

Evolved
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Bavarian guy in a cool traditional hat. Good contrast with the blonde Norwegian showing the diversity of Germanic people. ;)

Jack
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM
True. Still, it's the best banner I've made so far... the others were crap.

Gil
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Just what you might call a dumb question: is Skadi turning into a complete "Germanic Preservation" site or is it going to keep it's pan-european ethics?

Thorburn
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Bavarian guy in a cool traditional hat. Good contrast with the blonde Norwegian showing the diversity of Germanic people. ;)
If one searches for "Nordic Bavarian" on Google, one finds this picture. ;)

http://www.factory.dk/content_images/bavarian.jpg

Hagalaz
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Slav street bum? Hmm, I don't get it. Anyways, no he doesn't look like a bum of any type. He looks like a northern european.

Odin Biggles
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Well, how else would look a man of the "dark ages"?
Perhaps a bit more noble looking, the woman is glossy and shiny so why not the hobo :P.

Seriously he looks Germanic, but he also in this modern day looks like a homeless man, thats just how he appears :shrug.

Glenlivet
Tuesday, November 30th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Indeed, one can find whatever. The thing on Bavarians is grossly exaggerated.

Btw, there are dark-haired (and even dark-eyed) Norwegians too, yet their morphology is often the same as their Norwegian countrymen and other Germanics.

The same phenotypes are found from Britain down to Austria and up to Sweden.

If one searches for "Nordic Bavarian" on Google, one finds this picture. ;)

Nordgau
Tuesday, November 30th, 2004, 02:10 PM
:D This Burschi is also well-shaved:

http://img.radio.cz/pictures/deutsch/bamberger_reiter1x.jpg

http://www.uni-bamberg.de/~ba2kp3/text/kommentar06/Bamberger_Reiter_02.JPG

http://www.uni-bamberg.de/~ba5km1/lehrstuhl/textzubild/bild/standortbilder/bambergerreiter.gif

http://haderkahn.de/Main/img2.jpg

She-Wolf
Tuesday, November 30th, 2004, 09:37 PM
This whole thing is silly :P the man and woman on the banner aren't being paired up. So what if the man on the banner looks like a "scruffy street bum" with long hair and scraggly beard. Women's husbands looked like him back in the olden days anyway. I think the banner up there is cool.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004, 02:06 AM
Saxon Banner

Odin Biggles
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004, 12:25 PM
Haha, no I have never bothered looking at your profile. :P I have only seen your overeager talk about women.

Anyhow, I have seen your photo and that does not mean that you are the age you claim to be. Many people look older or younger in photos than they are in reality. I happen to have posted my pic also and have it on my profile.

Back to what this thread ia about. I still like the guy that is on the banner.:)
Im male, if theres something inherently wrong in discussing a ladies looks please share it with us, i posted pictures of women in the "Neverending Thread ON BABES" also, does that mean im a sex mad teenager ! :-O.

If you dont think im 18 then thats your porogotive, "frankly my dear i just dont give a damn" :D.

Jack
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004, 01:58 PM
:thumbup Stand up against those who wish to oppress teenage hormones, Odin! ;)

Odin Biggles
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004, 02:24 PM
Nope just telling it how it is.

The Neverending Thread had Babes in the title so i put babes in it and people complain, boring sods.

Allenson
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004, 05:55 PM
I like him--strong, rugged, scruffy, free....what else would a man want? ;)

Triglav
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004, 07:18 PM
I like him--strong, rugged, scruffy, free....
And slumped shoulders. ;)

Odin Biggles
Wednesday, December 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
I like him--strong, rugged, scruffy, free....what else would a man want? ;)
THe person to be female and have large breasts i presume.

Allenson
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 01:24 AM
THe person to be female and have large breasts i presume.

LOL.

I meant from himself. ;)

Glenlivet
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 01:31 AM
There's a disharmony with the young woman.

You should have a more mature Germanic lady.

Odin Biggles
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 09:13 AM
There's a disharmony with the young woman.

You should have a more mature Germanic lady.
Could make a banner with my sister on ? ;).

Allenson
Thursday, December 2nd, 2004, 02:54 PM
And slumped shoulders. ;)

Swinging those heavy broad swords around for hours on end, eventually tires one out. ;)

Triglav
Friday, December 3rd, 2004, 06:46 AM
More anti-Germanic statements: :D
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=27740

Louky
Friday, December 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
I just thought of something. With the change in orientation, TNP is now more inclusive than Skadi!

Mistress Klaus
Friday, December 3rd, 2004, 07:25 PM
Well, does he look like a street bum or not? :)

:D Hardly!..though it just appears that way with the wild beard & hair.
Well I must have a soft spot for heathen men..I have had him on my personal banner (English 4) for some months now. :P ......Actually the female needs to be changed. A more natural counterpart...the current is just a little too airbrushed & dolly-like...the reason why the poor Saxon warrior is being attacked.! :|..... Though I can also see reason & meaning with the current Skadi Forum banner.....hmmm...perhaps the banner should be changed periodically? :)
Can't please everyone...so might as well please yourself. ;)

Odin Biggles
Friday, December 3rd, 2004, 07:30 PM
I dont think anyone should go out pleasing everyone.....:-O.

PLeasing yourself on the other "hand"....:twitch.

blut-ehre
Friday, December 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
I don't think the two go together on the banner

Northern Paladin
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 01:59 AM
He doesn't look all that Saxon to me. His features don't seem to be sharp and clear cut.

Triglav
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Swinging those heavy broad swords around for hours on end, eventually tires one out. ;)
:D

I remember that Skarsgaard was giving an interviw once where he talked about the rehearsals and workout prior to the filming and mentioned something along the lines of: "I thought to myself: I'm an old man, I shouldn't be doing this."

You gotta give him credit. ;)

AngryPotato
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 03:24 AM
I like the mans looks and I'm modeling my own hair and beard styles after him. Too bad I'm still in the starter kit mode. :D

I think the man represents everything that a warrior is. If you shave his beard, trim his hair, and wear different rags than you'd have to sit him down in a Starbucks with a good book and a pumpkin spice latte. Men aren't meant to drink pumpkin spice lattes. It's a sign of our unisex times, I swear. I would make a 2nd banner with the fine woman and a more business like man and give this glorious warrior a dame that can axe firewood and bare hearty children.

(I'm surprised that such an image exists on film since King Arthur was directed by a negrid)

Saxon
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Saxons didn't use broadsword, they used scramaseaxes and spears in King Arthur's time. Stabbing past your fellow Saxons in the shield wall would tire him out all the same.

I like the Saxon King, his beard is longer than mine and his hair is definately longer than mine, but he looks to be a hardened battle leader, an inspiring figure if ever there was one. I think the banner balances out between the historic genuine figures of the Germanic race (Saxon King) and the beauty of our people (Young women on the right). :thumbup