PDA

View Full Version : Blondes 'no joke' protest

Triglav
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM
BAD-TASTE blonde jokes are to be outlawed in Hungary after women staged an angry protest outside the Parliament in Budapest.

Spokeswoman Zsuzsa Kovacs said: “Blondes face discrimination in the workplace and even on the streets.

“People are banned from discriminating against Jews or blacks — so why not grant blondes the same protection.”

The protesters handed in a petition just short of the 100,000 needed to force a parliamentary debate — but government officials promised they would take action.

http://www.siol.net/novice/XP_Images/1604112700440544-0.jpg

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004543010,00.html

Constantinus
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Aww come on, those jokes are funny (most of them at least).

Siegfried
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM
I do hate the 'dumb blonde' jokes (especially when they're made by immigrants or their spawn) but all this anti-discrimination legislation is getting out of hand.

Loki
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Aww come on, those jokes are funny (most of them at least).
I don't find them funny at all.

Constantinus
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I don't find them funny at all.

I do, they're harmless. I'm blond myself, but I'll leave whining over some jokes to jews and the likes. What's next? No jokes about fat, short or bald people anymore either?

Triglav
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 06:05 PM
I do hate the 'dumb blonde' jokes (especially when they're made by immigrants or their spawn) but all this anti-discrimination legislation is getting out of hand. Not at all. This isn't the root of the problem. The problem is that economic rifts are being created in order to attract foreigners to immigrate to wealthier (economic) countries, where pro-miscegenation party lines are being parroted, instead of leaving non-Europeans alone, allow them to mind their own business, and let them further their own culture and evolution - in other words: promote real diversity on our planet.

Rachel
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 07:11 PM
There is no need to perpetuate such a stereotype.

Loki
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 07:23 PM
I do, they're harmless. I'm blond myself, but I'll leave whining over some jokes to jews and the likes. What's next? No jokes about fat, short or bald people anymore either?
That is not the point. I have found that the people who normally tell blond jokes, are doing it with the intention of emotionally harming Nordic people - most probably because of jealousy. The Nordic innocence is exploited when Nordics are expected to accept, and just laugh along as if nothing happened. Many people have been conditioned to accept it as inevitable. Blond jokes are racist in character, and normally attempt to offend or denigrate. The most important thing to mention, is that the "blond" stereotype is completely untrue.

I personally never laugh at blond jokes, because there is little humour in it. What is funny about them, anyway? :scratch:

BodewinTheSilent
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 07:42 PM
I am wondering what percentage of the protesting women are actaully naturally blonde.

Evolved
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Blonds get harassed, picked on and abused by darker people, especially blond males, because they stand out as the "whitest." Szacsi can tell you some stories about gypsies bothering him and his brother. I've seen it myself in school, too.

Katyusha
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 07:53 PM
blonde jokes can be funny in the same way general jokes about particular groups of people can be funny (like the "how do you confuse a "*insert name of nation/ethnic group/whatever"? style jokes) but I do find them annoying as they are so prevelant that it goes beyond a joke, on t-shirts everywhere, even many blondes ALWAYS saying stuff like "oh never mind, i'm blonde" "excuse my blondness" and some remarking "don't worry, you're just blonde!" etc, (even dyed blondes...) so it does get 'offensive', whilst jokes about any other minority group would be seriously frowned on...

So, if they are going to have ridiculously over the top laws to prevent Dwight Yorke (pathetic whiner who said he would quit his club over 'lack of support' because one man made monkey chants at him ?! and who got a stiff fine & ban that exceedes what many dangerous drivers would be given...) being abused, why not blondes too. ;) I think it would be best though if there was no such law, but also no law "protecting" Mr Yorke and his like either ;)

Loki
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 07:58 PM
even many blondes ALWAYS saying stuff like "oh never mind, i'm blonde" "excuse my blondness"
My blond female colleague at work always says that, and it annoys the hell out of me. :mad:

cosmocreator
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Blond jokes aren't funny. :suomut:

Bodewin
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 08:31 PM
I've probably said this before: How many of the protesting blondes are truly, natural blondes?

Constantinus
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I am pretty sure everyone here hates those 'antidiscrimination' freespeachnuking laws. How the hell can you consistantly oppose those if you're throwing such a fit over blond jokes? Noone worth a penny will really assume blondes are dumb. I'm blond, and I don't feel offended over some joke. What are we here? Jews???

Loki
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I am pretty sure everyone here hates those 'antidiscrimination' freespeachnuking laws. How the hell can you consistantly oppose those if you're throwing such a fit over blond jokes? Noone worth a penny will really assume blondes are dumb. I'm blond, and I don't feel offended over some joke. What are we here? Jews???
Well, you are a male of obviously strong character. What about females (who are easier targets) that are harrassed and humiliated in the workplace, just because they are blond? I have seen it myself.

Constantinus
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Loki, by that analogy it would be wrong to tell dirty or 'sexist' jokes as well. I think you should give them more credit.

Loki
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Loki, by that analogy it would be wrong to tell dirty or 'sexist' jokes as well. I think you should give them more credit.
It is almost illegal in the British workplace to tell sexist or dirty jokes, for fear of claims of harrassment. But there are no rules against blond jokes, even though they may be equally (if not more) offensive in nature.

The thing here that I don't like, is the double standards. If we were allowed to tell negro jokes, brunet jokes, etc, alongside with blond jokes, there would be no problem.

jcs
Saturday, November 27th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Though not offended by such jokes, I find neither blonde nor dirty/sexist jokes humourous, as both tend to speak of a weakness of the character of the individual telling the jokes. A person telling blonde jokes generally wants to feel superior to blondes, or they are a self-hating blonde. A person telling a sexist joke is often an ignorant and debauched fool (the last time I laughed at a dirty joke, much less told one, was when I was 15--an ignorant and debauched fool).

Certainly, this does not apply in all cases, but it is counter-productive to Nordish folk to permit blonde jokes. While I don't like whining and protesting, this ban was a step in the right direction.