PDA

View Full Version : Where do you trace your heritage from?

Azdaja
Friday, May 2nd, 2003, 07:19 PM
I think it would be wise to get an idea as to where in Europe our posters come/descend from.
This is a simplified version of those "what ethnicity are you" type polls.
North = from the southernmost portion of the UK up.
Central = from just below southern UK through to southern Austria.
South = from just below southern Austria down.
The West/East divide is the German/Poland border.

Allenson
Friday, May 2nd, 2003, 07:50 PM
Hi,

Yes, interesting question....

I'm lucky enough to have been able find the necessary records to trace about 90% of my ancestry in the New World to the immigrants who came here. The 'lion's share' of my ancestry is from the colonial Dutch who settled along the Hudson River in what is now New York State. Next in line, in terms of percentages, are the English who came to New England and Germans who also settled alongside the Dutch in New York. After that, I have smatterings of Scot & Irish and one Danish immigrant to round things off. I've got a few more lines to trace but based on the surnames, it should turn out to be more of the same.

Most of my ancestry dates back, here in America, to the 1600s and early 1700s. My most recent immigrant ancestors were Irish who came first to Prince Edward Island in Canada and then to Boston, MA in the 1830s and 1840s.

So....I voted NW Europe.

Ederico
Friday, May 2nd, 2003, 08:59 PM
I think I am mostly from South Western Europe, but I am blonde and my father is fair haired (he was, bald now) and dark blue eyed so I do not know what else is thrown in there.

Evolved
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 01:49 AM
Burgundy

Gent, Flanders, Belgium

Wroc³aw(Breslau), Dolny Œl¹sk (Nieder Schlesien) Poland

Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire County, England

Karlsbad, Bohemia

Lechtal Tirol, Austria

St Petersburg & Vologda, Western Russia

Matyóföld region, Northeast Hungary

Minyar, Bashkiria, Southern Ural Mountains

Sápmi

Bauske, Zemgale, Latvia

ROMA
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 02:34 AM
so what does that make you ladygoeth

Zimmer Mann
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by ROMA

Maybe she should have preceded her post with "Of" and ended it with "decent" to make it bit clearer for you.

Zimmer Mann
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 04:24 AM
My heritage is mainly British of the "invader" type on my Mom's side which includes Viking and Anglo-Saxon types. Everyone on that side of the family is blonde, red-haired,and teutonic looking. My father is mainly Keltic English with a mix of blonde and various shades of brown hair. He also has German heritage from the 19th century, but I think it has been more or less diluted. The germans, as opposed to Southern Europeans, Catholics, Jews, and various other people of European origin, more readily inter-married with the base American population and assimulated more quickly into society. This is why you see old Italian blood with the original culture , language, and blood still intact even though the original immigrants arrived over a hundred years ago. Many people in America today have German surnames but profess little german culture and many of the original surnames have been drastically altered or completely translated from the original. One thing I have noticed is that everyone of my blood relatives has blue eyes despite mixing with brown eyed outsiders.

Evolved
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by ROMA

Whiter and more pure than anything bathing in the Ganges. x_p

Oberst Jager
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 03:10 PM
The Prussian City of Danzig, on the Baltic. Now under the Polish name of Gdansk. But it's still Prussia to me...:viking

Jack
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 03:16 PM
Mostly Spain and Ireland, with a small dose of English blood. So West European.

Sigrun Christianson
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 03:50 PM
1. Bavarian & Franconian regions of Germany

2. Cork, Ireland

3. Oslo & Bergen, Norway

-Sigrun

Scáthach
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 06:01 PM
cork,ireland? my uncle,by marriage,is from cork :)

my heritage is all irish.
i havent been able to study it fully yet but for as far as i or my family have gone back it is pure irish kelt.

im from dublin,as are my parents and grandmothers,my paternal grandfather and his family are from newport,tipperary and my grandfather on my mothers side was born in 1901 in dublin,he went on to become an IRA soldier and died decades ago,so i never got to find out anything from him,his parents were definetly irish and his father was born in dublin,to the best of my knowledge his mother was from dublin but it could have been another county.both sets of great grandparents,great great grandparents and great great GREAT,lol,were irish and so far thats as far back as anyone in my family has gone.

its a pity so many of my older relatives have died without me getting to find out more

ROMA
Saturday, May 3rd, 2003, 11:39 PM
ladygoth ''Whiter and more pure than anything bathing in the Ganges. "

how would u know that..who says your whiter then me..

Tore
Sunday, May 4th, 2003, 12:06 AM
These are the only two specific places that I am aware of in which I trace my ancestry from. In brackets is what proportion of my ancestry is derived from the location.

1. Nord-Trønderlag, Norway. (1/4)

2. Sussex, England. (3/16)

These are the generalized areas in which I trace ancestry from.

1. Ukraine. (1/4)

2. France (of Quebecois derivation). (1/16)

3. Scotland (loyalist from New England region). 1/4

Conquistador
Sunday, May 4th, 2003, 03:40 AM
100% Spanish Colonial

Mother's side: Originated from Castile and The Basque Country/Euskadi (Northern Spain)
Father's side: Originated from Andalucía and Extremadura (Southern and Western Spain)

Azdaja
Sunday, May 4th, 2003, 12:50 PM
<< ladygoth ''Whiter and more pure than anything bathing in the Ganges. "

how would u know that..who says your whiter then me.. >>

So you admit that you bathe in the Ganges? lol.

Anyway, I may as well answer my own question:

1/4 French
1/4 German
1/4 Polish
1/4 Lithuanian

Borivoj
Sunday, May 4th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Almost all of my ancestors that I can trace back (about to 1750) were Czech, but there is a miniscule fraction of Austrian blood unfortunately...

NatRev
Sunday, May 4th, 2003, 06:42 PM
North West

A mixture of Anglo-Saxon and Celtic, fairly typical Brit, red, blonde and brown hair runs in my side of the family, blonde and brown on hers. Both blue and green eyes are prominenet in our familes except that mine seem to be a mixture of blue, green and grey.

Von Braun
Tuesday, May 6th, 2003, 06:27 AM
It is two or three for me, depending on which historical sources you believe. It is two if the sources that say that French Canadians came from the northern half of the country are accurate. If the posters here who say that the original French are from the southern half and that later waves came from all over the country are correct, then it is three.

West central includes Switzerland and my mother's half (Germany). North west may or may not be in my mother's half (extreme northern Germany perhaps?), and my father's half is certainly part English and Scottish.

I chose three to give the posters here the benefit of the doubt.

Viking Blood
Tuesday, May 6th, 2003, 04:09 PM
1/2 Icelandic
1/4 German
1/8 Polish
1/16 Irish
1/16 Scottish.

I've been told that my Icelandic roots can be traced back to Norway, before my ancestors settled down and became Christian farmers.
:rolleyes:

My dad's side of the family are all Icelanders, and I saw those family members more than the relatives on my mom's side, so I've always considered myself to be more Icelandic, as I was never exposed much to German and Polish culture when I was young. When I started taking more interest in German culture, my Mom was quite pleased, until she figured out that I was just turning into a Nazi.
:cool

Katinkatze
Tuesday, May 6th, 2003, 09:24 PM
My immediate influences are

Finnish, from Tampere/ Vesilahti
Malta, from euhm... the country is too small to specify

and i have traces of

Scottish, and Dutch blood... but i tend not to take notice of them, coz theyr just a trace.

goidelicwarrior
Wednesday, May 7th, 2003, 04:43 PM
This has nothing to do with the thread topic. Start a new thread if you like, but keep it civil. We have to start cracking down on this type of thing. Sorry for the inconvenience. ~ Azdaja

goidelicwarrior
Monday, May 19th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Azdaja
I think it would be wise to get an idea as to where in Europe our posters come/descend from.
This is a simplified version of those "what ethnicity are you" type polls.
North = from the southernmost portion of the UK up.
Central = from just below southern UK through to southern Austria.
South = from just below southern Austria down.
The West/East divide is the German/Poland border.
what about a complementary scanned photo so we all know eachother?? x_p

Conquistador
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by triskel

How about...NO.

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by triskel

I've shown my face!! Show yourself!!

Stríbog
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 05:43 AM
I've shown my face!! Show yourself!!

And what a gorgeous face it is:ultrawink

Azdaja
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Stop hitting on ns1488's woman. lol

goidelicwarrior
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Vanessa
I've shown my face!! Show yourself!! i will but the scaned pic is too large... the pic is 306.000 kb...max is 99 000 i think... would you care to assist?:crying meanwhile i think the link speaks foritself..

http://usuarios.lycos.es/Celtic_Galiza/

Loki
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Perhaps I missed the reason why this poll is closed now.

My ancestry comes almost exclusively from Northwestern Europe - as far as I know. Holland, Niedersachsen, Denmark and Schleswig Holstein are the regions most of my ancestors came from. Then I have found small traces of Scottish and French surnames, too.

LOKI :viking

Azdaja
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 03:52 PM
I closed it because I made a better version of it here:
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2868

Loki
Tuesday, May 20th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Azdaja
I closed it because I made a better version of it here:
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2868

Thank you.