PDA

View Full Version : Cradle Of Filth

Ederico
Tuesday, March 25th, 2003, 04:34 PM
I love Cradle Of Filth, I bet most of you don't even know who they are. Well if you know them, what are your opinions?

Scáthach
Tuesday, March 25th, 2003, 06:54 PM
erm,i guess you already know my opinions on them :)

are they well known in america and the rest of europe?

Hellstar
Tuesday, March 25th, 2003, 09:54 PM
This is so typical of you to make these kinds of threads Edric,

well I listen to some of their albums but all in all they are bunch of weak Englishmen I would like to dual, Black metal belongs over here not to some fucking Englishmen who just had tea. this is seriousness and melancholy of North not something people from there can even understand, yes im a total racist towards music also. Bal Sagoth must be the best Black ever coming from over there, much better than Cradle. Its like they are the second best to me. but the best will always be true Black metal from Scandinavian from the periodical atmosphere of the black circle.
why you think people attacked Dimmu borgir and Cradle? because they are to commercial, its not the true meaning behind they stand for. music has no boundaries and even bands like Mystifier is extremely obscure and praised by me but its just on another level. You dont know what I talk about and you will never know, cause your from Malta. This is Northern arrogance and I love it. Fuck everyone else. this is ours not anyone else's.

Ederico
Wednesday, March 26th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Hahahahahahahah. For once I had predicted your answer. Sure Cradle Of Filth are commercial to a level and so are Dimmu Borgir. I much prefer Emperor to tell you the truth but I am no Black Metal expert. Dark Funeral and Immortal are also too my liking.

Moody
Wednesday, March 26th, 2003, 05:44 PM
The English INVENTED the Metal genre!

Tea-drinking was brought to England by those warriors of the British Empire - an Empire which had the widest reach of any in history.

Metal expresses ENGLISH angst and ENGLISH Will to Power - let the rest of the world copy us as usual!

Hellstar
Wednesday, March 26th, 2003, 06:18 PM
If you think about Venom (they have no talent) then forget it, there were old bands from Sweden, Germany, Denmark as long back. Try read some History, no one is really copying Bathory and Venom, they are not true black metal to me, I can both hear Bands like Absu from Texas or Bal sagoth from North england. but it does not change the motherfucking Fact Moody that Its not Aryan Black metal from North. the style here is so much different. you gotta be Skandinavien to understand such! we are not fucking Englishmen and never will be. This is not a thread about if Metal started in USA, ENGLAND or Germany Or SCANDINAVIEN, thats not how Music works. it all gets so melted that you cant originate it, im not dissing England, they have many bands I total thrill about but dont make some weird monopoly statement about thin lizzy, the coven and black sabbbath as total pioneers for all Metal, might be for you but not me. but I get seriously pissed when English men try to play Aryan Black metal like Dark throne, yes then i get pissed. its far out of proportion. and yes Edric, Emperor are truely immortal remnants never dying.

Hellstar
Wednesday, March 26th, 2003, 06:19 PM
BTW Moody, you like Metal?

Moody
Wednesday, March 26th, 2003, 07:57 PM
I do like Metal, of course.

I am not going to be silent when the English are disrespected within the context of Metal, whether this is a thread about origins or not.

And I may bore everyone by saying;

'no Sabbath, no Metal'.

No one before Tony Iommi down-tuned the guitar to get such crunching, depth-charge frequencies.
No one before him played without 'blues-feel' in that completely mechanical and repetitive fashion.
The man INVENTED Metal, and seeded the future of music by his UNIQUE genius.
Sabbath's combination of a very flexible rhythm section and totally Metallic guitar was fortuitous.
As was the English Midlands vocal tones of John Ozzy Osbourne.

Notice how Ozzy didn't 'sing American'; he rather sang English, with that accent which is the CLOSEST to Germanic Anglo-Saxon in England.
Listen to 'War Pigs' - that is the sound of Beowulf English; that is the sound of the tribe of Anglii as Tacitus called them, the sons of Ing.

Sabbath brought Germanic sensibility into rock music and thereby made the whole genre of Metal POSSIBLE.

Metal is the brainchild of Anglo-Saxons!

I am not saying that they are the best, I am merely saying that their crown of originality cannot be taken away.

Hellstar
Wednesday, March 26th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Im glad you like Metal:)

Well This was not a thread rather about English people can play metal or not, no doubt about it, but They cant play Aryan black metal in raw fashion that was my whole point. that is truly Scandinavian, well I listen to alot of English bands like, Bolt thrower, Carcass, Cathedral, Confessor, Bal Sagoth,
the Almighty, Benediction, Korpse, Paradise lost, Black Sabbath, Sabbat, skyclad, . ohh well the list is long but this is what I remember just now, I must say the band Sabbat is way better to me than Black Sabbath, Sabbat Are really kings of Thrash just as much as Kreator was. So I listen to alot of English Music but I still think Black metal shall come from A cold Skandinavian Mind. I use to listen to Black sabbath alot also but im so furious lately, its way to slow for me, im really hearing stuff like Entombed (left hand path) Madball (demonstrating my style) Incantation (onward to golgotha) Immortal (battles in the North) lately that really rips my mind. I need music to be fast and brutal now. war war!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ominous Lord Spoonblade
Saturday, March 29th, 2003, 11:47 PM
I thought it was understood by all that the Scandinavians are the sole kings of black metal? :viking And this is coming from an unbiased gal :D

I think Graveland is the best out of the black metal bands outside of Scandinavia personally. And it's not just because they're Polish x_p

Viking Blood
Tuesday, April 8th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Graveland ARE pretty great. I've been listening to a lot of Enslaved, Bathory, Twin Obscenity, Immortal, Darkthrone etc... lately. Something about winter just gets me in the mood for Black Metal. Of course, now the snow is almost all melted, we'll see if the mood lasts.:) I've even been listening to Cradle of Filth's Lovecraft album. I like it, but it could never take the place of the Scandiavian stuff. Different subject matter, and it doesn't have that same cold, savage feel of the Scandinavian stuff.:viking

NIGGER SKINNER
Tuesday, April 15th, 2003, 11:24 PM
THEY SUCK.CRADLE OF FILTH ARE FUNNY BLACK METAL IS PRETTY STUPID AND FUNNY IN "THE LEATHER"...

Prince Eugen
Wednesday, April 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM
I like Black metal. Crandle of Filth is a good band but nothing special . My favourite mainstream black metal band is Ancient Rites.Recently i heard some rumours that Danny from Crandle of Filth is Jew. Is anybody kmow if that is true?

Viking Blood
Thursday, April 24th, 2003, 10:26 AM
I never heard anything about there being a jew in COF, but I agree that Ancient Rites are terrific. I have their cd Fatherland, I listen to it quite a bit.

Ederico
Thursday, April 24th, 2003, 12:14 PM
This is the first time someone mentions that Dani Filth might be Jewish I never personally heared that, and I doubt it is true.

NatRev
Thursday, May 8th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Dani Filth is not jewish, they all come form a town near a friend of mine in rural suffolk which has a very low jewish population. Now if they'd come from London or Liverpool I'd have to think about it.

Black metal isn't my bag really, but I have a few CoF cd's and mp3 downloads, it's Ok but as you have said before, quite commercial but then again what's the big idea with all the Alice Cooper make up?

No, I'm not here to 'dis' other peoples musical tastes, just curious about its significance.

Anyone ever heard of ENDURA?

Not black metal but very dark ambient stuff, very influenced by H P Lovecraft.... (Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fthagn!) which is cool by me.:)

There was one group that were banned I think in Germany, what were they called, Von Thiersen or something??? They look like Laibach but I've never heard anything by them.

Right Wing Eagle
Sunday, May 11th, 2003, 01:18 AM
"Dani Filth is not jewish, they all come form a town near a friend of mine in rural suffolk which has a very low jewish population. "
LOL I BET HE IS NOT.NOTE: Dani from Cradle Of Filth (Mother is Ethiopian,Father is Jewish) HE SURLY IS "WHITE"!BUT A NIGGER AND KIKE IN ONE SOMEHOW!HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!(RESON D TO MY TOPIC)INFORMATION FROM JEW WATCH.

NatRev
Sunday, May 11th, 2003, 06:20 PM
are you on drugs?

Stríbog
Sunday, May 11th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Probably, but regardless, he's banned now. Azdaja beat me to it. :)

NatRev
Monday, May 12th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Miskatonic

I take it then you're afan of Mr Lovecraft then?

wpvengeance1488
Monday, May 26th, 2003, 01:36 AM
i'm gonna have to say that cradle of filth sucks! there are so many other GOOD black metal bands out there that i would rather listen to that have a lot more talent than these guys. like graveland, obtest, selbstmord, buchenwald oven, and sturmfurher to name a few.

NatRev
Monday, May 26th, 2003, 02:03 PM
black metal isn't my thing really but I think CoF are way too commercial.

If you like dark, ambient stuff, with mythological and Lovecraftian inclinations, check out ENDURA.

They're abritish based duo using both traditional instruments and electronic stuff, very dark atmospheric, they use stuff from the Necronomicon in one of their 'songs'....

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!

Imperator X
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 08:02 PM
I can't believe I haven't posted on this thread yet. I used to really like Cradle of Filth back when they sang about ancient moon goddesses and other pagan themes. It seems as if every album they release they get farther and farther away from pagan subject matter and tend to devolve into commercialized pop horror bullsh*t. For example their first album to make it, Principle of Evil Made Flesh contains lyrics about reigning over the Earth with Moon goddesses and has hymns to Astarte, Diana etc. but in their newest album Midian the music seems very commercial and actually mentions Jeffrey Dahmer. I think they completely sold out to big money plastic corporate bureaucrats. Shame on CoF, who should be known forevermore as Dreidle of Filth.

Phill
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 10:07 PM
Cradle of Filth isn't too bad... But I've heard better stuff.

Tyr_
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 12:23 AM
Cradle of Filth is a fucking commercial band for gay Gothics!
They destroy the real Black Metal! Because of those idiots BM is "trendy" and everybody runs around with a CoF shirt and feels like a true Black Metal warrior.

Hail to the true Norwegian and German Black Metal!

green nationalist
Tuesday, September 21st, 2004, 01:26 AM
If you think about Venom (they have no talent) then forget it, there were old bands from Sweden, Germany, Denmark as long back. Try read some History, no one is really copying Bathory and Venom,
have to disagree, everyone copies Bathory my friend!

im not dissing England, they have many bands I total thrill about but dont make some weird monopoly statement about thin lizzy,
Thin Lizzy were irish and their singer was black so I tend to leave them out of the heavy metal equation.

As for Cradle of filth, i cant stand their music, there is not much feeling or passion involved, his voice goes through my head and gives me a headache, i hate thier image, that Goth look really gets on my wick.

the only black metal I ever listen too is Burzum and darkthrone and maybe a bit of satyricon, as for english metal I liked Solstice, iron maiden, Black Sabbath and Sabbat too. Black metal from england doesent appeal to me much at all except maybe the band "Thus Defiled" in small doses.

Torn_Humana
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2005, 01:06 AM
in their newest album Midian the music seems very commercial
Aye Aye Aye
If one doesn't like the band, it is one thing. But to go as far as to bash said band is a little overbearing.

If someone you had never met said something about a band you thought of as 'awesome' or 'great' what would you do, Imperator X?

Personally, I enjoy Cradle Of Filth. Dani's wailing melodic vocals are the perfect lullabye for my weary ears after listening to narcissistic teachers and students all day. Besides Cradle, however, I also enjoy other Black Metal and most metal bands (Lamb Of God, Slipknot, and Korn excluded). The one major thing that irks me is the one phrase you used.

I think they completely sold out to big money plastic corporate bureaucrats.
I challenge you to define sellout, moreover, I challenge you to do the opposite, if you ever come to be in Cradle's position. Since you were so quick to judge Cradle, I have been quick to judge you as a superficial uneducated twit. I guarantee that in the same situation, your greed would take over and you would also, 'sellout'.

Blutwölfin
Thursday, March 31st, 2005, 09:56 PM
Great Britain invented Metal?
Unfortunately Metal comes from Rock. Rock comes from Blues and so it's kind of Nigga Music. Just kidding...

Anyway: Of course there is Venom, which is great, and some other late 70s, early 80s British musicians, but I guess the true roots of Black Metal are not to be found in Great Britain, but in Scandinavia. Bands which made up an extreme form of metal were Venom and also Celtic Frost from Switzerland. Both bands were covered a lot from "young" nordic bands like Mayhem, Immortal, Darkthrone and so on. But what these young bands made out of the music of their idols was a new kind of music, a new style - called Black Metal. What Venom and Celtic Frost played were extreme metal, too, but just not Black Metal (and I say that although I know the track "Black Metal" by Venom).

Cradle of Filth is like Dimmu Borgir. I don't like both bands very much - and on this statement you can see that I don't hate them because they're British: Dimmu Borgir comes from Norway and are kind of stupid musicians, too.

Both bands were OK in their beginning - and Dimmu Borgir were even great (remember "För All Tid"!), but they lost it after "Stormblast". So did Cradle Of Filth. They become more and more commercial, lost their self-reliance, lost everything that stands for BM and became kind of "boy bands" for screaming teenage girls, who are too "bad" to listen to Backstreet Boys or stuff like that.

Both bands earn lots of money with what they do, but they're no Black Metal anymore. Their clips are even played on MTV - so what!?

But on the other hand, both bands also lead people to "real" Black Metal. First, you listen to some "softer" kind of music like CoF or Dimmu, then you get to the heavier stuff from bands like Taake, Nachtmahr or older stuff from Mithotyn, Ildjarn, Darkthrone, Burzum, Vintersorg and so on.

They kind of "prepare" people for the right kind of sound. ;)

Years ago when I was a sixteen year old girl, I liked CoF, too, but nowadays I prefer an other sound. More Pagan and Viking inspired metal and of course old school Black Metal. Among my favourite bands are Bathory, Nokturnal Mortum, Ildjarn, Storm, Isengard, Darkthrone, Immortal, Falkenbach, Kampfar, Nortt, Thyrfing, Ensiferum, Summoning, XIV Dark Centuries, Bilskirnir, Manegarm, Mithotyn and - of course - Burzum.

Krabat
Thursday, June 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM
I love norwegian Black metal but i also like Cradle of filth some woulf clasefie Cradle of filth as simphonic black metal and somewhat it sounds like simphonic Black metal.
I know that cradle of filth is not True or scandinafian and Dany filth knows that. Dany filth in an interview said in hes own words that he would Clasefie Cradle of filth in to the horror metal Genre. Mabie Black metall but a different sub genre of black metal. I mean lets take Danzig for instanze He plais aSatanic dark tipe of metal which is not Blackmetal and Not Scandinafian but if we wanted tu we could create the same cind of confusion here. I see cradle of filth as a indifidual Band yust like Danzig which is not Scandinafian but has a couple of similarities

invictus
Monday, June 6th, 2005, 04:52 AM
The one praise-worthy thing about Cradle of Filth are the absolutely fabulous, poetic, moving, imagery-rich lyrics. That's more than one can say about most of the "true and grim Scandinavian black metal warriors," who have become ten times the clowns CoF might be accused of being.

As far as black metal—or any other subgenre—belonging to geographical region X or Y or Z or LMNOP, well... if you could just hear me laughing, you'd know what I think of that kind of teenie pseudo-elitism.

Krabat
Monday, June 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Cradle of Filth is a fucking commercial band for gay Gothics!
They destroy the real Black Metal! Because of those idiots BM is "trendy" and everybody runs around with a CoF shirt and feels like a true Black Metal warrior.

Hail to the true Norwegian and German Black Metal!
you do have a point there. I dont like it either when every dikhead from the pepsy generation finds Black metal trendy. Even dough I like Cradle of filths music I would much prefere it if they where not a sellout. But good on germany and scandinafia for keeping a strong True muvement with limited numbers of album releaces. And Those who don't understand the Etnical Massage behind black Metall should be scared of it and not find it Trendy and that is the way it should be.

Imperator X
Saturday, July 9th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Torn, shut the hell up. Dani's vocals were crisp back when Principle of evil was released and their lyrical themes have shifted from Paganism to pop horror crap. They have sold out and the fact that every anti-intellectual high-school asshole listens to them alongside other shitty commercial bands (such as Korn and klitsnot) is a testament to this fact. Dani Filth now sounds like a eunuch who takes estrogen pills.

Requiem
Wednesday, July 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Cradle of Filth is utter crap, Danny screams like a girl. After changing my ways, and listening to some real music, I cannot stand CoF.

Torn, music is more than just subjective.

Blutwölfin, metal was about breaking free of the constraints placed on it by the blues, it was evolution. Just like we broke out of Africa to become smarter, metal broke out of blues to become better music. Read infoterror's post on Aryan roots of Metal.

itsallaroundyou
Friday, August 26th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Tony Iommi is a great guitar player (a legend, really), but his playing is very bluesy. Just listen to the song 'Rat Salad' from the same album to see what I mean. Nearly all the solos on the CD are pentatonic. Before Sabbath was Sabbath they were an English blues band called 'Earth'.

Cradle of Filth is really terrible. If you want some real fucking death metal some bands that havent been mentioned yet are: At the Gates, Morbid Angel, Vader, and Slayer (of course).

Northern Paladin
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
This is one of my favorite metal bands. I think they are just epic. I like their old materlai exclusively, and absolutely abhor their new stuff. What do you think of them?

Atali
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 01:07 AM
New Cradle is definitely not old Cradle. More a fan of old, before they went mainstream. I feel like Dimmu Borgir is headed down the same path as Cradle. I feel like they're changing their sound to stay in the limelight.

Wulfram
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
Nothing personal Forrest, but...

NEyBtb65Hg8

Here is what I feel to be a true black metal band(Too many others to name):

k8F7pxjP34M

Northern Paladin
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 01:28 AM
They used to be a good band, in fact they were quite epic... but now they just suck epic balls!

"Cruelty and the Beast" was by far their best album. That album was true art if you ask me. After that they went down hill. Their last good album was "thornography" form which only a few songs caught my ear, namely "Lovesick For Mina", "under huntress moon", and the that one instrumental song.

Ediruc
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
I recall a few years back I listened to a remake of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night intro song done by Cradle of Filth. I think I lost it when my old computer got a virus on it. It was the only thing I liked from them. Perhaps if I find it I'll put it on youtube for you guys.

Hersir
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
Like with many others listening to extreme metal, cradle of filth was one of the first bands I listened to. But I quickly moved on.

Nowadays I find it's mostly girls who like Cradle of Filth and for example Opeth.

moonwolf
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 02:28 AM
Cradle of Filth are one of the prime examples as to why I am sometimes embarrassed to call myself a metal head. They are incredibly overrated, gimmicky and cliche, and most of their fans seem to be insecure, effeminate, gothic wimps who can most easily be found consuming garbage inside shopping malls when not at the concerts.

Wychaert
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 04:38 AM
Hmm. Me and Velvet were talking about them in the shoutbox the other day..
I still like to listen to them once in a while.
The first Album is the one I realy like, Let Me put it this way, the first four Albums where realy nice..But after that...Money and comercial'ism Ruined it..:thumbdown

Eppillus
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Anything after Lovecraft and witchhearts is crap (I'm being generous not cutting it at Damnation and a day) but until that point they were pretty good.

I suggest checking out Emperor or Enslaved.

Elessar
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
I like a few of their songs, they remind me of my youth.
Overall, I place them in the same group I do Slipknot and bands of that sort, their good songs are few and far between and their image & fanbase rather in poor taste. I love Gothic and all, but some people do it so wrong.

If you're into that kind of music, might I recommend the Norwegian band Kovenant.

Ælfrun
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Dani FIlth is a wanker. They are the boy band of metal! Talk about lack of talent! I actually do not label them metal at all. They are more like a dark pop band.I think that they suck! I listened to albums such as Dusk V Empire and Midian in highschool but moved from that phase quickly. I saw them in concert and it was the worst concert i have ever seen. A friend gave me a framed poster of them because they thought I liked them. I covered it up with a different better poster :p I own Dusk and Her Embrace which is their best album. I might have some shirts somewhere from years ago also.

Ælfrun
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 07:16 AM
Like with many others listening to extreme metal, cradle of filth was one of the first bands I listened to. But I quickly moved on.

Nowadays I find it's mostly girls who like Cradle of Filth and for example Opeth.

HERSIR!!! How could you even put cradle in the same sentence. Opeth is freaking amazing and has some of the best talent I have ever heard in a band. They are very well rounded and their songs are epic and dynamic. Mikael makes the guitar sing and his voice melts my soul. Cradle of filth is exactly a pile of filth. Especially compared to Opeth! <3

Sigurd
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Some of the old stuff is highly listenable every now and again; they've never been one of my favourite bands but I was quite partial to some of the material up to Midian; though I'll make the concession and mention that Damnation and a Day still had a few alright songs. :shrug

These days I don't actively listen to them much, and tend to only put them on/ask for them to be put on if there's nothing more appropriate in the vicinity. ;)

Sigurd
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
HERSIR!!! How could you even put cradle in the same sentence.

Could be worse. He could have put Emperor and Peccatum in the same sentence. :P

AuroraNordalis
Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
COF is absolute overhyped media loving garbage. Sorry to the fans of it.

Maybe the first COF release was good but they sold out and commercialized Black Metal. Now we have to see Black Metal infested with hot topic goths and
a plethora of bands that exploit the genre.

COF does not even have a message unlike Rob Darken's Graveland and Eiserne Garde. Real true White peoples Black Metal. COF is too glamorous and likes homosexuals.

If you never heard of Eiserne Garde, here is a song along with a Graveland piece.

Some Eiserne Garde songs are more Black metal than others.

Graveland