PDA

View Full Version : What Is the Best Pistol Cartridge?

SouthernBoy
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 03:42 AM
I want to get everyones' opinions on pistol cartridges. I have yet to shoot anything other than a Smith and Wesson .38 Special. As soon as I am 18 I am going to be able to begin my firearms collection. I've been looking at Glocks, H&K, and Taurus semiautomatic pistols.

Tommy Vercetti
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
I want to get everyones' opinions on pistol cartridges. I have yet to shoot anything other than a Smith and Wesson .38 Special. As soon as I am 18 I am going to be able to begin my firearms collection. I've been looking at Glocks, H&K, and Taurus semiautomatic pistols.

Do you mean caliber or brand like S&B etc..?

Anyway 9mm and .22lr are cheap thus good choise, but if you are going to begin a firearms collection you'll probably get all the calibers available ;)

Buying guns is probably the best investment for your money, especially in these days...

Good luck

SouthernBoy
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 11:28 PM
How is the kick on a 9mm? I have shot 22LR, and I like it especially in the Ruger 10/22.

Tommy Vercetti
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 11:51 PM
How is the kick on a 9mm?

It's like firing a cap pistol IMO.

Tricknologist
Friday, November 5th, 2004, 02:45 AM
The kick of a 9mm isn't bad at all. However, I've found that most semi-auto pistols have a wide shot pattern. All of my shots hit the target, but they're spread out like a shotgun blast.

My favorite pistol is my Ruger .357. The recoil is rather stiff, but it is extremely accurate. It is also much more powerful than a 9mm.

Where I live, car-jacking is a very real possibility, I trust my .357 more than my 9mm to deal with that.

AngryPotato
Friday, November 5th, 2004, 06:59 AM
I'm also a real big fan of the .357

Recently I was comparing my shot spreads and I was extremely accurate with the .357, including bullseyes where as my 9mm will still all kill shots they had more of a spread to them. Perhaps I just need to practice with the pistol a little more.

Tommy Vercetti
Friday, November 5th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I think shot pattern is affected by barrel length more than anything else

jab
Friday, November 5th, 2004, 11:13 PM
.45 acp is low velocity hits make a big hole blood pours out you die
.3.57 magnum in a heavy revolver any higher magnum round and its side efect you will not physically stand the strain. onless it a gas operated auto .50 Desert eagle :D NO BLOW BACK. Dirty harry used .44 special low nitrate charge to control his shots. THE BEST AMMO RELOAD YOUR OWN .HELL AND SAVE MONEY SURELY SOMEONE AT YOUR GUNCLUB CAN SHOW YOU HOW
HEIL THE NEW DAWN 18 :guinness

Tricknologist
Saturday, November 6th, 2004, 02:44 AM
I think shot pattern is affected by barrel length more than anything else
Both of my pistols have 4" barrels. I've noticed that all of the revolvers I've owned were consistently more accurate then the semi-auto's I've owned.

Tricknologist
Saturday, November 6th, 2004, 02:52 AM
.45 acp is low velocity hits make a big hole blood pours out you die
.3.57 magnum in a heavy revolver any higher magnum round and its side efect you will not physically stand the strain. onless it a gas operated auto .50 Desert eagle :D NO BLOW BACK. Dirty harry used .44 special low nitrate charge to control his shots. THE BEST AMMO RELOAD YOUR OWN .HELL AND SAVE MONEY SURELY SOMEONE AT YOUR GUNCLUB CAN SHOW YOU HOW
HEIL THE NEW DAWN 18 :guinness.357; 14.6 grains Alliant 2400 with 158 grain hard cast SWC

9mm; 4.3 grains Winchester 231 with 125 grain FMJ

:prost

Aristotle
Sunday, November 7th, 2004, 07:15 PM
EYTYXEITE!
Dear SouthernBoy, before to start "collecting" guns, try to establish TARGETS!
There are so many around us and guns without targets are music without sound.
Kindest Regards!

PS: According my own experience 9mm is the best as more practical! Bigger power of fire ( more ammo ), less stopping power ( in comparisson to .45 ), better aiming, less silencer level ( because of its higher than sound's speed ), better piercing ( especially during times in which bullet-proof jackets are wide-used ), easier to obtain in market ammo, less expensive. GECO/HINDEMITH, traditionally! And ...kill'em all,baby!;)

Nightmare_Gbg
Sunday, November 14th, 2004, 02:48 AM
I personally like the 9 mm best,especally when i got a clip of m/39b in it.

Nordraserei
Friday, December 10th, 2004, 06:11 PM
I prefer 45's over 9mm. Also, shouldn't you think about some rifles first? If you want to start your collection at 18, you'll have to start with rifles because pistols are illegal until you're 21. I know nothing about rifles though.

Appalachian
Saturday, December 11th, 2004, 01:03 AM
If you want to start your collection at 18, you'll have to start with rifles because pistols are illegal until you're 21.
Not in this state.

Tommy Vercetti
Saturday, December 11th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Not in this state.

Texas, right?

Can you obtain automatic weapons there legally?

Appalachian
Saturday, December 11th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Texas, right?

Not me, but I think the thread-starter is.

Can you obtain automatic weapons there legally?

In my state you must have a class III license for that.

Nordraserei
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Not in this state.
So you're saying it's legal to buy a pistol at 18 in Texas? Damn, I'm starting to like Texas now. :)

Appalachian
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 05:49 PM
So you're saying it's legal to buy a pistol at 18 in Texas? Damn, I'm starting to like Texas now. :)

I wasn't talking about Texas. I'm not sure what the gun laws are like there.

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, December 14th, 2004, 11:00 PM
You need the Class III, and the ATF stamps for a fully-automatic here. I am saving up for a Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine right now. I have heard good things about Heckler and Koch pistols. I personally want to get a KG-9 (open-bolt Intratec Model 9 "Tek-9") or an open-bolt Mac 10. The few grandfathered open-bolt pistols sell for a premium, but all you have to do to convert it to fully-automatic is take out the disconnecter. :) I plan to get a concealed carry license, and a Class III Lincense once I am 21.

Nordraserei
Wednesday, December 15th, 2004, 04:55 AM
So you're gonna save up for 7 years to buy a badass gun once you hit 21? LoL, all of us underage people talking about what guns we want when we're old enough to buy them. :P

WiltFaber
Saturday, March 5th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Seems to me it depends on what the intended purpose is.

For exposed carry and military activities, a more powerful gun (.45 auto, .357 mag, etc.) is the only thing that makes sense, IMO. I like .45 auto; have an M1911A1 and a Glock 36

For concealed carry (where lawful), choice will depend on how well you can conceal it. If you live in a cold climate where people wear lots of clothing, you can conceal just about anything, so go ahead and carry a hand cannon if you don't mind the weight. In a warm climate (like Arizona, where I live) where people wear light clothing, you may have to compromise on caliber if you want to carry concealed at all. I have a Kahr PM9 (9mm parabellum) for concealed carry. It weighs 15 ounces empty and is a very reliable piece. Also have a Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 weighs in at a ridiculous 7 ounces empty and can be carried in your pocket without even noticing it. Kel-Tecs are cheap guns and they can be made reliable, but I wouldn't buy one if you are not willing to screw around tuning it.

And as several people mentioned, a handgun is no substitute for a rifle -- the general rule that range is more important than killing power has not been repealed.

Nordraserei
Tuesday, March 8th, 2005, 05:52 PM
You need the Class III, and the ATF stamps for a fully-automatic here. I am saving up for a Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine right now. I have heard good things about Heckler and Koch pistols. I personally want to get a KG-9 (open-bolt Intratec Model 9 "Tek-9") or an open-bolt Mac 10. The few grandfathered open-bolt pistols sell for a premium, but all you have to do to convert it to fully-automatic is take out the disconnecter. :) I plan to get a concealed carry license, and a Class III Lincense once I am 21. I'm buying an S&W 10mm or a Glock .45 shortly. I can't figure out which one to get. :(

Southern Jarl
Saturday, March 12th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Personally, I've just fired 9mm (with a Browning HP) and .45 ACP (with an Argentine version of Colt 1911) and .22 obviously. I'll stay with 9mm, as its a faster, with a greater penetration power cartridge, it is also fairly accurate regardless the gun you are using (of course it's not the same tu use a H&K than a Taurus). Plus, you can carry alot per clip (in modern pistols), and it's a really cheap ammunition.
Another cartridge which I find interesting is the 40 S&W (and also the 10mm, which is similar), and FN Herstal's odd 5,7 x 28 mm.

Aleksander D. G
Saturday, August 13th, 2005, 07:00 AM
for Hand guns I favour .38 Special

For rifles I am torn between 8 mm Mauser and 7.62x 54R

to the fella that said that autos have wide shot patterns Have you tried aiming your fire arm correctly ?

Teufelhunden
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM
My opinion... 10 MM or a 40 cal. double tap your way to diplomacy :D