PDA

View Full Version : www.skadi.net & Hosted Sites

Thorburn
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2004, 11:02 PM
One of our servers is currently down. This will affect www.skadi.net (http://www.skadi.net), hosting.skadi.net (http://hosting.skadi.net), as well as some dozens of domains that are hosted on the aforementioned server. We are investigating the issue and will keep you updated.

Traffic has been forwarded to Skadi Forum in the meantime. We had to switch off some software addenda on the Forum Home, as, with the additional traffic, all the bad-written code and additional database queries kept on killing the server.

Skadi Forum Administration

Agrippa
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 12:53 AM
A friend of mine got this side/message when he wanted to go online at Skadi as usual, can this be somehow related to a server problem or did he made a mistake by himself?

He said he just tried to get normal access as a normal member and came to this:

Bitte wählen Sie die Sprache aus: English (US)Deutsch (DE)

Site Administrator Anmelden
Zur Anmeldung am Site Administrator klicken Sie auf den Link Site Administrator, woraufhin sich ein Anmeldefenster öffnen wird. Sie können sich mit dem Site Benutzernamen anmelden, Ihre Domain ist der Domainname der Site, z.B. meinedomain.de. Sobald Sie am Site Administrator angemeldet sind, können Sie das Passwort ändern.
Benutzeradministrator Anmelden
Zur Anmeldung am Benutzeradministrator klicken Sie auf den Link Benutzeradministrator, woraufhin sich ein Anmeldefenster öffnen wird. Sie können sich mit Ihrem Benutzernamen anmelden, Ihre Domain ist der Domainname der Site, z.B. meinefirma.de. Sobald Sie am Benutzeradministrator angemeldet sind, können Sie das Passwort ändern.
Anleitung

Online-Hilfe für den Site Administrator

Online Hilfe für den User Administrator

Thorburn
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 01:02 AM
A friend of mine got this side/message when he wanted to go online at Skadi as usual, can this be somehow related to a server problem or did he made a mistake by himself?

He said he just tried to get normal access as a normal member and came to this: When did this happen? Must have been some hours ago?

He shall refresh and should be forwarded. Alternatively, he shall go to http://forums.skadi.net/ instead of http://www.forums.skadi.net/.

Agrippa
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 01:32 AM
When did this happen? Must have been some hours ago?

Yes, about 5 to 6 p.m.

Thorburn
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 02:51 AM
I stopped forwarding the traffic. A vB 3 board on a dual Xeon can't handle more than 300-400 concurrent users ... and definitely not a hacked one. It kept on killing the machine.

It gave me a good impression of what will happen in about 3-6 months, however, if this forum keeps growing at this rate ... we'd need at least two SCSI dual CPU machines with 2 GB RAM each then, one for mySQL (the database), one for the rest (primarily Apache, the webserver). Goes for a shabby US$8,000 per year...

Seems to be out-of-range. I'll think about solutions. Suggestions welcome.

Zyklop
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 07:04 AM
Seems to be out-of-range. I'll think about solutions. Suggestions welcome.Disable avatar, signature and image viewing for guests.

Yesterday I was browsing Skadi with 56K and it is completely non-functional. Some pages took 5 minutes to load completely. After disabling avatars and signatures it worked fine so I guess it might decrease the traffic a lot.

Evolved
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
Guests can't view attachments. Some of the avatars and signatures are quite large, and some people are breaking the rule in regard to only one image per signature. I agree turning them off for guests would be a good idea.

Johannes de León
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Guests can't view attachments. Some of the avatars and signatures are quite large, and some people are breaking the rule in regard to only one image per signature. I agree turning them off for guests would be a good idea. But, if images are hosted here -- Skadi -- guests shouldn't be allowed to see them. :scratch

Thorburn
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 08:54 PM
Disable avatar, signature and image viewing for guests.Technically not possible.

232 Guests within 15 minutes (!) -- this killed the machine. And it's not spiders. I have no clue where they come from, because I stopped forwarding already yesterday from www.skadi.net (http://www.skadi.net) and the Topsites.

I now switched off Guest access temporarily to keep the Forum and the other sites going.

Zyklop
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Technically not possible.

232 Guests within 15 minutes (!) -- this killed the machine. And it's not spiders. I have no clue where they come from, because I stopped forwarding already yesterday from www.skadi.net (http://www.skadi.net/) and the Topsites.

I now switched off Guest access temporarily to keep the Forum and the other sites going.
http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24854&stc=1

Could this be some kind of DOS Attack?

Thorburn
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 09:24 PM
No, they all come from different IPs worldwide.

Zyklop
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
No, they all come from different IPs worldwide.I was just wondering because now that guest browsing is disabled the counter explodes.
730 guests at the moment... :suspect

Thorburn
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Not too shabby.

Skadi:
Most users (members and guests) ever online at the same time was 835, 21 Minutes Ago at 22:35.

Stormfront:
Most users ever online was 985, Yesterday at 09:12 PM.

Thorburn
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 10:45 PM
The forum main page without all the crap [ Announcements, Quotes (doesn't even keep the template cached), "Who was online today", and Weather ], is 10 queries instead of 17. It would be 9 queries (that's the vb3 standard for an unmodified index.php) without the Top Thread of the Day.

I don't think we need any of them on the Forum Home -- apart from the quotes maybe.

We had to remove the "Top X Stats" previously already which was alone 3 queries (including a full table scan through the post table); not a big problem on small forums, but the larger the database gets, the more unbearable bad code becomes.

Forumhome (index.php), Thread Display (showthread.php), Forum Display (forumdisplay.php), Search & New Posts (search.php) and Attachments (attachment.php) are the crucial files on the forum, as they get accessed all the time.

Bill Noble
Thursday, November 4th, 2004, 07:59 AM
No, they all come from different IPs worldwide.A coordinated attack, perhaps. Stormfront once experienced a massive surge of visitors from worldwide IPs, and it turned out most of them were coming from registered members of the somethingawful.com forums. Now, the somethingawful.com members are basically a bunch of braindead Liberals, so it could be possible that we will see similar occurences originating from anti-White sites in the future.

Newgrange
Thursday, November 4th, 2004, 02:06 PM
A coordinated attack, perhaps Yes,I would think so.
I looked at 'who's online' function when all those guests were online yesterday, I would say ( 95%-99%) were just 'viewing index' and not actually viewing threads. Maybe because liberals lost the US elections? they felt the need to be disruptive.

Bill Noble
Friday, November 5th, 2004, 07:58 AM
May I request E-mail notification once the servers are up and running? I'm itching to do some work on my website.

Evolved
Friday, November 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I'm sure all of us "right wing" :eyes "Nazis" :hrm voted for Bush.

Bill Noble
Friday, November 5th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Maybe because liberals lost the US elections? they felt the need to be disruptive.Not the kind of Liberal I was referring to.

Isolfur
Sunday, November 7th, 2004, 02:34 PM
news considering the hosted sides?

Bill Noble
Wednesday, November 10th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Has any progress been made? I haven't been able to work on my website for a week now. :(

Isolfur
Wednesday, November 10th, 2004, 05:01 PM
yes, it really sucks, because theres stuff on the webspace which ive scripted and now i have to re-do it ... and our band isnt availible at the web yet... :(
please mate do something

DeepzOne
Tuesday, November 16th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Is there something in progress? A date if server comes back?

xakep
Wednesday, November 17th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Ability to delete attached files by yourself.

Furius
Friday, November 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Maybe I've missed something, however I am not clear on the current status of the web sites on the www.Skadi.net (http://www.Skadi.net) server.

Are the sites temporarily down or permanently down?
If temporarily, is there an expected due date for skadi.net to be back up?
If permanently, can other suggestions be offered as to where to host racial preservation sites?

Either way, could I respectfully suggest that there be a prominent notice re the current situation be prominently be placed on the skadi.net homepage and/or at the top of the forums.skadi.net (http://forums.skadi.net) homepage.
That would be great, if it is achievable, and would be much appreciated by everyone who are wondering what's happened to skadi.

(I know it's a pain, that these things get dumped on the shoulders of the Skadi administrators, but we really do appreciate your efforts, even though you are often "unsung heroes" for all the work you do)

Regards,

Furius