PDA

View Full Version : So my brother wants me to join a class...

Phill
Monday, November 1st, 2004, 03:01 AM
I do not know the proper way to spell it, but it sounds like this: Kux Soogal Wan.

Korean Martial Arts.

I haven't joined the class, or even watched. However, for the past several saturdays my brother has personally tutored me, in a sense. So far it's interesting, but my heart is not really into it. It is most definitely an excellent way to get into shape though, that's for sure.

I'm not sure I would want to stay in it though, and the cost is a lot if I do join the actual class.

So... What do you all think of the subject of martial arts? And is it worth it, or what?

+Suomut+
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2004, 12:26 AM
So... What do you all think of the subject of martial arts? And is it worth it, or what?I think it's definitely worth your time, dude. :thumbup If you've ever had your LIFE on the line in a brawl (as I've had before), you'd know how VALUABLE such training can be. :| As for the 'oriental' aspects of such training, I would shun it as far as is possible for the sake of keeping one's self OCCIDENTAL! lol ;) :) That's what I HATE about those Noršvestrids who partake in such activity and then get 'swept away' by ALL! it (in a sense) and essentially turn themselves into 'mental asiatics.' :-\ ;( This includes wearing oriental apparel...'blackbelts' and all. :thumbdown . I say LEARN it STRICTLY for the martial/self-defense/military value of it all & NOTHING MORE!...unfortunately, NOT everyone can do that, esp. the LESS-subracially concious folks. :-( As for the subracially conscious Noršvestrid man or woman, I say "INDEED!" such training is without question VALUABLE! :thumbup :)

'Marital arts' means MORE than just the asiatic/oriental varieties; BTW, and pretty much means 'self-defense' or 'war' related activities in a universal sense, including the 'Western/Occidental' and Noršvestrid varieties/styles. ;)

Telperion
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2004, 03:51 AM
In at least some cities, you can undertake a course in systema, which is a set of self-defence techniques developed by the Russian special forces. Many people find it to be more useful than the oriental martial arts, since it is focused on strictly practical situations, such as how to disarm an opponent who is armed with a knife or gun, etc.

AngryPotato
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2004, 05:58 AM
I did Tang Soo Do in my youth and enjoyed the exercise. If I had the free time I'd do Krav Maga now. It drops the asiatic influence and is for combat. Created by the IDF and perfected on PLO. ;) A lot of US police forces teach it now.