PDA

View Full Version : What Makes an Individual Admirable?

Jack
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Here I mean: what are the qualities that make a person, without respect of race or cultural identity of that person, admirable to you? What qualities do you find virtuous in the ethos of a human agent's behaviour? This has nothing to do with the friend-enemy distinction of politics. One is well-capable of admiring one's enemies and despising one's friends.

Zyklop
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 04:10 PM
The ability to stick by his word. Everything else results from that.

Wuotans Krieger
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Honour and loyalty.

Marius
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 10:26 PM
His/her attitude towards himself/herself and towards others.

Awar
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Resemblence to me ;)

Seriously: I find anyone who at least tries to be fair and honourable to
be worthy of my admiration. It's a rare trait these days.

When it comes to politics, a person who sees through the lies and constructs
which are presented to the public.

Triglav
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Seriously: I find anyone who at least tries to be fair and honourable to
be worthy of my admiration. It's a rare trait these days.

Moreover, anyone who tries.

Awar
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Moreover, anyone who tries.

Yes, that's what I said, tries. Got a problem wit' dat esse? ;)

TisaAnne
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Pride, dignity and self-righteousness...even blatant arrogance.

bocian
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Anyone who makes a conscious effort to be good and fair. This might seem a bit simplistic, and one could go on about just what exactly is 'good and fair' and in relation to what and so on, but I won't. :)

Awar
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
btw. what I've noticed from the general populous is that MONEY makes people admirable.
Seriously, if you're arrogant and poor, people will call you 'bitter','annoying','irksome'
if you're completely insane and rich, people will see you as 'eccentric' etc. etc.

nordic_canadian_male
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Someone who doesn't compromise, never moves an inch and stays the course.

TisaAnne
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:46 PM
btw. what I've noticed from the general populous is that MONEY makes people admirable.
Seriously, if you're arrogant and poor, people will call you 'bitter','annoying','irksome'
if you're completely insane and rich, people will see you as 'eccentric' etc. etc.The opinions of people who are seduced and blinded by money are useless. If you can pay someone to think highly of you, to hang on your every whim, then what of significant value is that person's affection anyway?

Awar
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:47 PM
An uncompromising soul is easy to admire, hard to be, and impossible to survive.
-Me

Triglav
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:50 PM
An uncompromising soul is easy to admire, hard to be, and impossible to survive.
-Me
Another of those lines anyone could think of. :D

Awar
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:51 PM
The opinions of people who are seduced and blinded by money are useless. If you can pay someone to think highly of you, to hang on your every whim, then what of significant value is that person's affection anyway?

Yeah, that's what I say.
But, 99% or more people are .... like that.... it's useless to fight against it.
It's best to surround yourself with people who aren't like that.

TisaAnne
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:57 PM
It's best to surround yourself with people who aren't like that.Well, if you aren't rich...than it should not be a problem. ;)

nordic_canadian_male
Saturday, October 30th, 2004, 11:58 PM
-Me

but worthwhile when it occurs, even if short lived, it serves as an example to the rest. If there is one thing missing in the world today it is men of this sort, long dead is the day of poet-warriors, now the earth belongs to greedy men without honour.

Awar
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 12:02 AM
but worthwhile when it occurs, even if short lived, it serves as an example to the rest. If there is one thing missing in the world today it is men of this sort, long dead is the day of poet-warriors, now the earth belongs to greedy men without honour.

Perhaps one of the reasons the world belongs to greedy men without honour is
because the honourable poet-warriors didn't compromise.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 04:57 AM
Yes, that's what I said, tries. Got a problem wit' dat esse? ;)

Where has this boy been spending his time?

For me the measue of a man (men and women are different) are the old measures I first heard in German: heart, mind, and guts (Herz, Gehirne, Haerte--ist das richtig?) A man has to have some sort of heart and this comes out in various ways in various situations. He must be true to his word as Zyklop says, he must not let you down and you must be able to depend upon him when times get tough. A man should have intelligence over a broad spectrum. A man should have the personal courage to facilitate the other two happening and he should be able to withstand physical adversity.

Jack
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 05:05 AM
Honour and loyalty.
- Aryan KreigerOk, everyone has a good idea of what loyalty is, but what does Honour mean to you?

His/her attitude towards himself/herself and towards others.
Attitudes are variable. What sort of attitude would an individual have to himself and towards others if he was to be admirable according to you?

My own answer: integrity, honesty, confidence, power, skill, persistence, knowledge, strength of will, justice.

Siegfried
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 06:59 AM
My own answer: integrity, honesty, confidence, power, skill, persistence, knowledge, strength of will, justice.

Define "justice" ;)

King Yngvar
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 07:13 AM

I don't think he made it up himself... "Uncompromising men are easy to admire."

Jack
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 07:42 AM
Define "justice" ;)
Ass :P Justice: A fancy word that means whatever the speaker implies it does. :D

Vlad Cletus
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 07:47 AM
One who is completely honest and fair in all or most instances, and never bothers to sacrifice his/her qualities for greed, or any kind of advantage. One who is always opened to new phenomena or ideals, or just broad-minded and is willing to go ahead despite any kind of challenges awaiting.

Corageous, Broad-Minded, Fair, and Honest.

De Ogle
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 03:40 PM
What wisdom can you find that is greater then kindness?

- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Dasbuck
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 03:41 PM
I admire honesty above all traits. Certainly all these other qualities are part of the strong character of a great man, but I feel that honesty is the cornerstone. If one cannot be honest with oneself primarily then the whole of his character and personality is false. If one cannot be honest with others, then he cannot be trusted and is worthless as a leader. If he cannot be honest with his enemies, then he should expect no quarter in the event of his being bested, which runs more along the lines of honor but is (I feel) related directly to one's honesty.

Awar
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 04:14 PM
I don't think he made it up himself... "Uncompromising men are easy to admire."

:eyes

No Code
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 05:09 PM
Has to like Pearl Jam. :D

Evolved
Sunday, October 31st, 2004, 09:18 PM
Anyone who doesn't care whether people admire them or not.

Prussian
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Ultimately a strong sense of dedication & loyalty to what one ultimately believes in whilst pursuing a progressive means to securing it's future.

Of course different beliefs bring fourth a different result but the principle of the above is an admirable trait within an individual even if what they pursue conflicts with your own belief system. In this sense respect your opponents but never give in to them.

Huzar
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM
COHERENCE, and TRUTH.

(from "Excalibur",1981) -[ King Arthur :" What virtue makes great a knight ? Courage ? Intelligence ? or strenght?" Merlin,(form the the darkest angle of the big hall. "No. Nothing of all this. It's much more simple. The TRUTH. Everytime a people lies, he kills a piece of world around him. And a piece of himself too." Merlin exits from the hall, looking at ,for a brief moment, Lancelot and the Queen. ]

nicholas
Sunday, February 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM
cars. The newer it is the more enlightened and superior you obviously are, oh and how much organic food you can suck down between yoga classes.

gawd I hate this hippy land i'm living in!!

Seriously though, for me its integrity, consistency, and willingness to be responsible for ones own actions. Hence why I respect far more men than women.

Draco
Monday, February 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM
The more similar they are to me, the higher the rate of chance for myself liking or disliking them. 50/50 really. ;)

Jehan
Saturday, March 12th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Ernest Hemingway's "code of Hero" can be an interesting point of view:

Hemingway defined the Code Hero as "a man who lives correctly, following the ideals of honor, courage and endurance in a world that is sometimes chaotic, often stressful, and always painful."

The Code Hero measures himself by how well they handle the difficult situations that life throws at him. In the end the Code Hero will lose because we are all mortal, but the true measure is how a person faces death.

The Code believes in "Nada," a Spanish word meaning nothing. Along with this, there is no after life.

The Code Hero is typically an individualist and free-willed. Although he believes in the ideals of courage and honor he has his own set of morals and principles based on his beliefs in honor, courage and endurance. A code hero never shows emotions; showing emotions and having a commitment to women shows weakness. Qualities such as bravery, adventuresome and travel also define the Code Hero.

Personally, I do not agree with the "no after-life" thing. Being an atheist isn't an exploit. Most of the times, it's either out of laziness, or too much metal. (Note that the belief in God is also most of the time due to laziness. In fact, most opinions people hold are due to laziness) Also, Hemingway didn't like women, so it tainted a bit his definition. I do think that commitment to ONE woman is something deeply admirable, for it shows honesty, loyalty, and most of all, PATIENCE:D .

So yeah, in short, take the Hero Code, then remove the things listed above, and you have the typical answer that everyone gave. But it does look more detailed and smart.

Dr. Solar Wolff
Saturday, March 12th, 2005, 07:16 AM
It sounds to me like we are discussing moral values as well as individual values so I will answer in both ways.

The overriding moral values are: Honor, Duty and Loyality. These three always intertwine and so each individual act has to be judged in light of a person's Honor, Duty and Loyality in that situation. This dynamic relationship is one thing that seperates Europeans from non-Europeans, especially Jews. Jews have statue law. The Ten Commandments is the best example. They are cut in stone. So "thou shall not kill" for a Jew is a sin. Yet it can be a crime or not based on H,D, and L. relationships. In some situations it would be the best, most moral and only course of action.

On an individual level, I judge men and women a little different. For men it is strength (all kinds), heart, intelligence and guts. These qualities are not independent of H, D, and L as explained above, they are just in addition to it.

For women intelligence is important but simply being a good person is the most important. I can't really define what "being a good person" is but I know it when I see it. Men can have this quality also but it is usually less obvious and falls under the "heart" category. This may seem like a less well defined quality but women usually deal with people in more humanistic terms than do men so consistancy is important.

Rhydderch
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 03:22 AM
One is well-capable of admiring one's enemies and despising one's friends.
Despising one's friends is dishonourable. If you despise someone then you should'nt pretend he is your friend.

SouthernBoy
Monday, May 30th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Honor and consistency... those are the only two I admire. ;)

Nordraserei
Tuesday, May 31st, 2005, 12:12 AM
Justin was a cool guy. Too bad he didn't have any honor or consistency though. :P

Honor and consistency... those are the only two I admire. ;)

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, May 31st, 2005, 02:31 AM
Tu no hablas su llama, por favor.

Nordraserei
Tuesday, May 31st, 2005, 02:32 AM
I see your native tongue is coming out. :P :D

Tu no hablas su llama, por favor.

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, May 31st, 2005, 02:38 AM
I see your native tongue is coming out. :P :D¿Que puedo hablar? :P

EDIT: "¿Qué puedo decir a ése?"

Alice
Tuesday, September 17th, 2019, 02:59 PM
I admire someone who is virtuous, someone whose life is guided by temperance, justice, fortitude and prudence (the mother of all virtues). By deliberately choosing what is good, it is possible to strengthen and acquire virtue.