PDA

View Full Version : Jewish Overrepresentation in Ivy League Schools

Siegmund
Friday, October 22nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
From a courageous editorial in the Duke University Chronicle (http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/10/18/4173b1de57041):

Among the top 10 universities, Jews enjoy shocking overrepresentation: Only the California Institute of Technology has an undergraduate Jewish population below 10 percent, and four schools have particularly stark Jewish advantages -- Harvard (30 percent), Yale (23 percent), UPenn (31 percent) and Columbia (25 percent). Keep in mind that, at best estimate, no more than 3 percent of all Americans are Jewish.

Telperion
Thursday, October 28th, 2004, 01:20 AM
That is true, although their statistical over-representation is largely a function of their standardized test scores and grades. They are also heavily represented on faculty.

I must say that, given the PC atmosphere that pervades the top US schools, I am very surprised that the editorial in question was published at all. The tenor of many of the posted replies suggests that the author may yet be "martyred" for expressing his opinions.

Scoob
Thursday, October 28th, 2004, 01:31 AM
That is true, although their statistical over-representation is largely a function of their standardized test scores and grades. They are also heavily represented on faculty.

I must say that, given the PC atmosphere that pervades the top US schools, I am very surprised that the editorial in question was published at all. The tenor of many of the posted replies suggests that the author may yet be "martyred" for expressing his opinions. Because it was published at Duke - i.e., North Carolina (Scots-Irish land).

Telperion
Thursday, October 28th, 2004, 01:35 AM
That must have a lot to do with it. I can't imagine an editorial like that being published in one of the Ivies' student papers.

StrÝbog
Thursday, October 28th, 2004, 03:19 AM
LOL have you guys ever actually been to Duke? It has a sizable Jewish student population and is QUITE PC - as multiculti and communist as any Ivy. It's not "Scots-Irish" at all; most of the students are out of state, anyway.

Basically any highly-ranked school is going to be significantly Jewish; that is one of the things that gets them the ranking in the first place. Show me a school with no Jewish influence and a good academic reputation - it doesn't matter if they are state or private schools, either.

I wouldn't take this report as some kind of miraculous Gentile retaliation against Jewish academic domination; it's just an observation. I wonder how they concluded the editorial to placate in advance those who might complain.

Telperion
Thursday, October 28th, 2004, 03:48 AM
LOL have you guys ever actually been to Duke?
I haven't, though I've heard it can be found somewhere in those mysterious, unexplored lands south of the Rappahannock...one is bound to give credence to all sorts of rumours concerning such an exotic locale. :P

It has a sizable Jewish student population and is QUITE PC - as multiculti and communist as any Ivy. It's not "Scots-Irish" at all; most of the students are out of state, anyway.
I'll leave you two to argue about that.

Basically any highly-ranked school is going to be significantly Jewish; that is one of the things that gets them the ranking in the first place. Show me a school with no Jewish influence and a good academic reputation - it doesn't matter if they are state or private schools, either.
I'm not sure there are any schools in the US at all that have no Jewish influence. But, with some exceptions, there is a strong correlation between school rankings and such influence.

I wouldn't take this report as some kind of miraculous Gentile retaliation against Jewish academic domination; it's just an observation. I wonder how they concluded the editorial to placate in advance those who might complain.
Based on some of the reader reactions posted on the paper's website, it doesn't appear they did anything (or at least not enough) to placate those who would be offended by such an editorial. The student who wrote it is likely in for a difficult time.

Siegmund
Thursday, October 28th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Here's the concluding paragraph from the editorial:

I do not ignore historic Jewish oppression or discredit the stark realities of the holocaust. Nor do I discount anti-Semitic sentiments that still persist in America. With the burden of Tikkun Olam, Jews were even some of the most vocal abolitionists and supporters of the civil rights movement. However, to preserve our democracy and honestly confront inequality where it persists, Jews must own up to their privilege in America, and use it more wisely.
The editorial provoked many negative letters despite this last-ditch attempt to appear PC. Here are just two for illustration:

People like you are lucky that people like me left the US for Israel. Had I been anywhere near Duke university when this article was published you would now be undergoing reconstructive surgery (most likely by a Jewish doctor) at the nearest medical facility.

Not all Jews are docile and one day you will meet a REAL Jew who will put you in your place. Then you will know what it means to "exploit suffering"

-- Chai

Dear President Brodhead: My daughter is one of us overprivileged Jews who are shockingly and undeservingly overrunning Duke University, America and then probably the world, as is intimated by Chronicle columnist Philip Kurian, recent winner of the Melcher Family Prize for Excellence in Journalism, who quotes with approval that notorious lying Holocaust denier Norman Finkelstein as a reliable "historian" of Jewish "aggrandizement." Unless you as President of the University speak out against this outrageous, disgusting slander and stereotyping I will not rest and I will do everything in my power to discourage other families from sending their children to Duke, and to encourage my own daughter to depart even though she will be a Senior next year.

I have sent a copy of Mr. Kurian's column to Mr. Rick Melcher and have since written him again to invite his comments. I will forward to you his response.

-- Duke Parent
For the whole story, see http://www.nationalvanguard.org/story.php?id=4058. The original editorial can be found at http://www.chronicle.duke.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/10/18/4173b1de57041.

anti-climacus
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2004, 04:37 AM
The best traditional institute of higher learning for Traditional Americans is Hampden-Sydney College. All male, Practically all of the student body are White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. Has a curriculum with heavy concentration on Western Culture. Founded by the Scots-Irish. I hope to transfer there next year after traveling for a while.