PDA

View Full Version : Mind-Altering Cat Parasite Linked To Schizophrenia in Largest Study Yet

Hersir
Thursday, January 31st, 2019, 10:22 AM
Scientists claim they have found new evidence of a link between infection with the protozoan parasite, Toxoplasma gondii, and schizophrenia (https://www.sciencealert.com/mind-altering-cat-parasite-linked-to-schizophrenia-in-largest-study-yet), in what is described as the largest study of its kind. From a report:T. gondii, a brain-dwelling parasite estimated to be hosted by at least 2 billion people around the world, doesn't create symptoms in most people who become infected -- but acute cases of toxoplasmosis can be dangerous. Healthy adults are generally thought to not be at risk from T. gondii infections, but children or people with suppressed immune systems can develop severe flu-like symptoms, in addition to blurred vision and brain inflammation.

Pregnant women need to be careful too, as the parasite can cause foetal abnormalities or even miscarriage. Aside from the known physiological dangers, however, the stranger and more ambiguous risks associated with the parasite remain largely hypothetical -- although a huge body of research suggests something weird is going on. Causation remains very much disputable, but the brain-dwelling parasite -- commonly carried by cats and present in their faeces -- has been linked to a huge host of behaviour-altering effects.

Virtually all warm-blooded animals are capable of being infected, and when T. gondii gets inside them, unusual things happen. In rodents, animals seemingly lose their inhibitions, becoming more exploratory and losing their aversion to cat odours.

More at ScienceAlert (https://www.sciencealert.com/mind-altering-cat-parasite-linked-to-schizophrenia-in-largest-study-yet)

Gareth Lee Hunter
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019, 05:34 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/e2/5b/56/e25b5699d279cf4af9d3388e6b50b8ed.jpg

Hersir
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019, 08:17 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/e2/5b/56/e25b5699d279cf4af9d3388e6b50b8ed.jpg

How can you be so sure?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322594.php
http://www.petsandparasites.org/cat-owners/toxoplasmosis/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

Gareth Lee Hunter
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019, 08:55 PM
How can you be so sure?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322594.php
http://www.petsandparasites.org/cat-owners/toxoplasmosis/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

It isn't that I don't think there is a remote possibility that toxoplasmosis can be contracted by exposure to feline fecal matter while cleaning litter boxes, for example, if proper personal hygiene is not practiced. But this certainly isn't the only way this particular affliction can be transmitted to humans... And, intentional on your part or not, the singular vilification of our furry companions in a forum dedicated to their veneration is inappropriate as well, don't you agree?

There is a health forum for posting such information:

https://forums.skadi.net/forums/1249-Health-Fitness-amp-Nutrition

A Toxoplasma infection occurs by one of the following:

Eating undercooked, contaminated meat (especially pork, lamb, and venison) or shellfish (for example, oysters, clams or mussels).
Accidental ingestion of undercooked, contaminated meat or shellfish after handling them and not washing hands thoroughly (Toxoplasma cannot be absorbed through intact skin).
Eating food that was contaminated by knives, utensils, cutting boards and other foods that have had contact with raw, contaminated meat or shellfish.
Drinking water contaminated with Toxoplasma gondii.
Accidentally swallowing the parasite through contact with cat feces that contain Toxoplasma. This might happen by

"Cleaning a cat’s litter box when the cat has shed Toxoplasma in its feces; ​(Not all cat waste is infected.)
Touching or ingesting anything that has come into contact with cat feces that contain Toxoplasma; or
Accidentally ingesting contaminated soil (e.g., not washing hands after gardening or eating unwashed fruits or vegetables from a garden).

Mother-to-child (congenital) transmission.
Receiving an infected organ transplant or infected blood via transfusion, though this is rare.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/gen_info/faqs.html

Vķšįlfr
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019, 08:58 PM
I think we all can get various parasites from we wonder where... I've got another parasite many years ago, Balantidium coli, if I remember well, and that one can be very dangerous too... The doctor who discovered that was very surprised, as I don't eat meat (that one was a parasite from pork)... But it can be from water too...

The best way to avoid parasites, besides having a good hygiene, is having a good immunity. Many people have parasites, also from water (for example Giardia), many of them without even knowing it... Very often intestinal disorders are caused by parasites... also lack of minerals or vitamins can be caused by parasites... Just imagine when you eat, you also feed the beasts in your bowels...

And no matter what tests you do to find out if you have parasites or not, they are not 100% accurate... It also depends on the life cycles of these parasites...

But yuck, this is a disgusting topic... Personally I try to purify the water I drink as much as possible (you can also get parasites from water, especially from tap water) and also to take natural supplements that help me build a good immune system...

I got rid of that Balantidium Coli, or whatever it was, after long efforts... Sometimes it can be really difficult to get rid of parasites... they like it there, this is why they are parasites...

In my case I used strong essential oils for internal use... on the advice of doctors... Normally essential oils are used externally, for internal use you should always ask advice from a doctor specialized in natural medicine (or however it is called in your countries)... First I took thyme oil, but it almost triggered my gastritis into ulcerus... I did that without medical advice, because it is one of the strongest natural antibiotics and anti-parasites, if not the strongest one... After getting some terrible stomach aches, I asked for advice... So don't do the same mistake I did! I don't remember exactly what essential oils I took to solve the problem, but it was solved naturally...

But when parasites get into the brain it's not so easy to get rid of them... A doctor I know told me he had a patient, a child, who had a parasite somewhere in the brain (near an endocrine gland, if I remember well), and it calcified around the parasite, so it was almost impossible to get rid of it... I don't know what that child did in the end... It's not so nice to have brain surgery to remove parasites... but in a case like that how else to get rid of it? If it's calcified, it's not easy to get rid of it naturally or by medication only...

Lots of horror stories about parasites... and they are not so difficult to get... Meat can also contain parasites... and also drinking water...

schwab
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019, 09:40 PM
"I think we all can get various parasites from we wonder where..."

Many years ago I worked for a medical lab designing a scrubbing machine for surgeons.
We made tests on hands and fingernails before and after scrubbing.
We scrapped whatever was under finger nails and cultivated it in clean rooms. You would not believe what we found. This is the dirtiest part of your body.
Needless to say, I wash my hands several times a day and keep the tails trimmed. I try to eat food without touching it with my hands.

Vķšįlfr
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019, 10:00 PM
Yuck! Then it's good I also keep my nails short... :P

However, tap water contains a lot of nasty stuff in it too... and bottled water can contain various bacteria and parasites as well... And if we wash our fruits with tap water that is contaminated and then eat the fruits, it's almost the same as drinking that water...

Even if we use water filters... sometimes we'll have to drink water from other sources as well... So we can't have 100% protection all the time...

So...

It's very important to have a good immune system that gets rid of anything nasty easily!

schwab
Saturday, February 2nd, 2019, 11:23 PM
"I think we all can get various parasites from we wonder where..."
One other thing that is being overlooked most of the time is walking barefoot on lawns, roads and wherever. It has been determined that shoe brakes on cars were made for many years with asbestos. Asbestos dust is everywhere, bad to touch and breath. Asbestos causes cancer, we should wear shoes at all times wherever possible.
Little kids tend to walk barefoot on lawns that might be infested with fertilizers and weed killers.
May be I'm too passionate about stuff like that.
We only can minimize the dangers.............

Hersir
Sunday, February 3rd, 2019, 12:18 AM
And, intentional on your part or not, the singular vilification of our furry companions in a forum dedicated to their veneration is inappropriate as well, don't you agree?

Actually, I don't agree.

The description of this sub-forum is:

Forum for pet owners and animal enthusiasts. Dedicated to the discussion of pets, pet care, training, health and other pet-related topics.

I've had both cats and dogs for most of my life. I don't see how is this vilification of cats...

LillyCaterina
Sunday, February 3rd, 2019, 01:28 AM
Actually, I don't agree.

The description of this sub-forum is:

I've had both cats and dogs for most of my life. I don't see how is this vilification of cats...

Very well. We are sensitive about matters involving theories that could lead to more medieval prejudice against felines than they already needlessly endure.

Hersir
Sunday, February 3rd, 2019, 10:51 AM
Very well. We are sensitive about matters involving theories that could lead to more medieval prejudice against felines than they already needlessly endure.

Are cats treated so badly in the US?

LillyCaterina
Sunday, February 3rd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Are cats treated so badly in the US?

Yes. Sadly, both canines and felines, along with other vertebrate animals kept as 'pets' (I hate that word.) are often treated as nothing more than expendable objects, commerce, and 'toys for tots' that can be tossed out into the street when tired of. Those profit seekers who operate pet stores, puppy mills, research laboratories, lucrative sporting events, and even so-called 'canned hunts' treat these other domesticated living creatures of God in the most inhumane ways imaginable.

Gareth and I do what we can for stray and feral felines that inhabitant our area. And my cousin and her associates operate a rescue service for abused and abandoned canines. Our humane shelters are overflowing with sick, abused, and abandoned felines and canines.

Just recently a woman was arrested for operating a puppy mill under deplorable conditions. She was charged with cruelty and neglect as well. But many animals, including horses, found on her filthy property were suffering from horrible neglect. Many of these pitiful creatures were either found dead, died later, or had to be euthanized. And all so this greedy witch could make money selling those poor animals she could to idiots who contribute to this insensitive cruelty by patronizing these terrible places that remind me of hell on Earth for animals. :censored:flame

I would like to think that domestic animals and even wildlife are treated much better in European nations. But maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part... Do you think it is just wishful thinking, Hersir? :(

Hersir
Sunday, February 3rd, 2019, 04:39 PM
I would like to think that domestic animals and even wildlife are treated much better in European nations. But maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part... Do you think it is just wishful thinking, Hersir? :(

Mostly pets are taken well care of, but there is the odd horror story of course. Some people abandon their cats in summer time when going on holidays, but it's not that common, thankfully.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Monday, February 4th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Mostly pets are taken well care of, but there is the odd horror story of course. Some people abandon their cats in summer time when going on holidays, but it's not that common, thankfully.

Really... http://www.esdaw.eu/the-cruel-treatment.html

Norway considers spaying and neutering felines and canines to be a cruel practice, even though these relatively minor surgical procedures performed correctly under anesthesia by qualified personnel IS the most effective method of controlling unwanted breeding of strays and feral populations.

http://sciencenordic.com/should-dogs-be-neutered

I must reiterate that posting unfounded theories about assorted diseases and psychological afflictions that involves transmission from animals to humans can result in undesirable consequences on a forum open to perusal by guests.

If a guest who is on the verge of making the big decision to rescue and adopt an abandoned feline, for example, reads about the 'possibility' that the toxoplasmosis parasite can cause schizophrenia, they might just decide against adopting a feline that needs a good home.

The trouble with "scientific studies" provided by "experts" is their often inconclusive results. But the damage they cause can be worse than the threat to health they're prematurely warning people about.

An article that refutes the validity of this particular 'threat':

"Cat owners can breathe easy: there’s little danger that your beloved tabby will make it more likely for you to develop a mental illness. New research has cleared the name of cats, helping put to rest the debate over whether the creatures are dangerous because they host a common parasite that may play a role in disorders like schizophrenia."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/22/14696978/cat-mental-illness-health-toxoplasma-gondii-parasite-schizophrenia (https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/22/14696978/cat-mental-illness-health-toxoplasma-gondii-parasite-schizophrenia)

Žoreišar
Monday, February 4th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Norway considers spaying and neutering felines and canines to be a cruel practice, even though these relatively minor surgical procedures performed correctly under anesthesia by qualified personnel IS the most effective method of controlling unwanted breeding of strays and feral populations.Most people in Norway neuter their cats, and it's in no way considered a 'cruel' procedure.

I must reiterate that posting unfounded theories about assorted diseases and psychological afflictions that involves transmission from animals to humans can result in undesirable consequences on a forum open to perusal by guests.

If a guest who is on the verge of making the big decision to rescue and adopt an abandoned feline, for example, reads about the 'possibility' that the toxoplasmosis parasite can cause schizophrenia, they might just decide against adopting a feline that needs a good home.I'm sorry, but that's tough luck. This is a discussion forum, meant to share thoughts and information, not to serve fuzzy feelings to whomever might drop by. If someone planned on getting a cat, but was discouraged by a single article, then maybe they're not stabile enough to take care of another living creature.

If we were to implement such an attitude towards every subject which possibly might negatively affect someone, somewhere, we'd quickly run out of subjects.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Monday, February 4th, 2019, 10:35 PM
Most people in Norway neuter their cats, and it's in no way considered a 'cruel' procedure.

I'm sorry, but that's tough luck. This is a discussion forum, meant to share thoughts and information, not to serve fuzzy feelings to whomever might drop by. If someone planned on getting a cat, but was discouraged by a single article, then maybe they're not stabile enough to take care of another living creature.

I'm sorry you feel that way about how guests react to this particular topic.

Our only concern is animal welfare. Felines and canines obviously can't defend themselves, so we have to. And this we will continue to do.

Discussing this topic is exactly what we're doing. I'm just providing more positive information about this controversial issue as a form of damage control.

If we were to implement such an attitude towards every subject which possibly might negatively affect someone, somewhere, we'd quickly run out of subjects.

I never suggested we do that.

Žoreišar
Tuesday, February 5th, 2019, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way about how guests react to this particular topic.Frankly, I think what we say about parasites potentially spreading from cats is of the least concern to any random passerby reading this forum. :D

Our only concern is animal welfare. Felines and canines obviously can't defend themselves, so we have to. And this we will continue to do.Don't get me wrong, I love animals, and I hold my own cat in higher regard than a lot of people I know. I also know a lot of other people owning cats and having grown up around them. None displaying any signs of schizophrenia or other mental illnesses. I believe most people see this as well, and don't jump to extreme, paranoid conclusions, whatever the statistical blips the science might indicate.

Discussing this topic is exactly what we're doing. I'm just providing more positive information about this controversial issue as a form of damage control.That's great. I just got to impression you wanted the discussion to be swept under the rug altogether. Might have misinterpreted you there.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Tuesday, February 5th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Oh, no!.. This human study could end bad. I'm going to inform my buddy down at the research lab about it.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/e7/84/07/e784074189affb3cf74ffce35e4b9186.jpg

Yep!.. It would appear this matter should have been investigated more thoroughly... Felines definitely do transmit something to humans... It's called love. :)

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a5/41/b4/a541b4eb03be2e16b0c0360a09ef672e.jpg

Coillearnach
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019, 06:10 PM
If you're not pregnant/plan to become pregnant and don't have a personal/family history of either immune/mental disorders or chronic childhood sickness, have at it. Lots of things can cause brain inflammation and you can't avoid them all, all you can really do is eat a wholesome diet with lots of veggies, get plenty of exercise, and avoid chronic stress. The joy and relaxation that a cat will bring you probably overrides any possible associated risks for 99% of people anyway.