PDA

View Full Version : Beards-Where Do You Stand on the Issue?

Wuotans Krieger
Friday, November 30th, 2018, 05:46 PM
This poll is open to both men and women and I would genuinely like to hear your views on the issue of men and beards. When I first became active in Wodenism in the early 2000s the vast majority of men in the Wodenist Order to which I belong had shaven heads and chins, resembling skinheads rather than genuine heathens. By contrast I had long hair and a beard. I was placed under a certain amount of pressure to conform so that I would 'fit in'. I didn't. Instead I brought up the issue quite a few times on my main blog Aryan Myth and Metahistory and gradually the skinheads were flushed out and todays English Wodenist typically has a beard and/or long hair. They have effectively reclaimed their Germanic and masculine heathen identity. So now rather than me being the 'odd one out' they mainly resemble me!
I also notice that generally in society beards have become more common place and all types may be found.(I can't take credit for that!) Mine is gray/white, long and bushy. Sometimes I will tie a knot into it. Let me know if you have a beard or know people who have and what you think about the issue generally.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Friday, November 30th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Aside from a tour in the military, and working in the private security business, I wore a neatly trimmed full beard most of my life (see profile pic). Now, I have a modified Fu-Manchu kind of mustache. (avatar pic).

Žoreišar
Friday, November 30th, 2018, 07:28 PM
I couldn't grow a beard, even if my life depended on it. The ladies say I'm too pretty to cover my face up in hair, though, so I don't mind too much.

Facial and body hair are just remnants of our primate ancestors, anyway. In that respect, I consider myself the next step on the evolutionary ladder. ;)

Chlodovech
Friday, November 30th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Given how any run-of-the-mill hipster has one today, I don't want a beard out of fear for being mistaken for a hipster. And my father always scolded me for not shaving as a teen, probably still would if he saw me that way, so I've been drilled to shave. :king My go to argument was always "the Lord and St. Paul also had beards". When I don't have to go out or work or see people, I don't shave though - and then I have that rough "surrounded by the Cong for a week in Khe Sanh" look.

I shave with a blade and soap, I've never used an electric machine after my 18th birthday - fellow men, if you shaved yourself all your life with an electric machine, try razor blades. You'll never revert to an electric machine again. It's a blissful, fun and sensual experience. Personally, I always thought it was more efficient too, but that could be due to the fact that I'm more skilled with the blade. And if you shave daily, I think the blade is the fastest way to get rid of your 24 hour stubble as well.

Wuotans Krieger
Friday, November 30th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Aside from a tour in the military, and working in the private security business, I wore a neatly trimmed full beard most of my life (see profile pic). Now, I have a modified Fu-Manchu kind of mustache. (avatar pic).

Yes, it reminds me of Christopher Lee in his remarkable role as Fu Manchu, apart from the slitty eyes of course!

Given how any run-of-the-mill hipster has one today, I don't want a beard out of fear for being mistaken for a hipster. And my father always scolded me for not shaving as a teen, probably still would if he saw me that way, so I've been drilled to shave. :king
My go to argument was always "the Lord and St. Paul also had beards". When I don't have to go out or work or see people, I don't shave though - and then I have that rough "surrounded by the Cong for a week in Khe Sanh" look.

I shave with a blade and soap, I've never used an electric machine after my 18th birthday - fellow men, if you shaved yourself all your life with an electric machine, try razor blades. You'll never revert to an electric machine again. It's a blissful, fun and sensual experience. Personally, I always thought it was more efficient too, but that could be due to the fact that I'm more skilled with the blade. And if you shave daily, I think the blade is the fastest way to get rid of your 24 hour stubble as well.

I save an absolute fortune by not having to buy razor blades-makes my pension stretch further.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Friday, November 30th, 2018, 10:51 PM
I have a full beard .

Until the age of 25½ I had shaven .

Electric Shaver , likely because my father used a Phillips Shaver only .

Then I went travelling and shifted to blade shaving .

After some time , I quit shaving , for there absolutely is no reason for me to shave .

The beard grew . But it stops growing , I do not have to clip it much , because for growing too long .

When I wanted to shave again , I grew skin irritations , and that was it with shaving .

Otherwise I am neutral to beards .
I don't understand people making a "religion" out of shaving .
Without the permanent Muslim immigration , the beard likely would be of no interest at all .

When I think about it , I always had thought about girls would be more interested in shaved men ,
while shaving , for being "kissed" .

But experiences told me , that these girls did not fit to me .
A beard gives authority , a child has no beard .
Probably men shave to succumb .

The shaving of the head is mentioned in the Old Testament in the book of Job :

20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, ...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job+1&version=KJV

This indicates to me , that a shaven man is not happy , and for Surtur and Muspel's Sons are
consuming his wealth , he rips off his hair .

Jonathan Eells
Saturday, December 1st, 2018, 12:14 AM
What does it mean if I'm perpetually stuck in between a baby-smooth face and some serious Santa-Stubble? My beard is mostly pure white these days. My youngest daughter wants me to put on a few pounds and grow my beard out so that I may assume my true "Jolnir" identity (I deeply love that little girl SO VERY MUCH, please pass the potatoes). If my darling wife of 26 years changes her mind, I'd have a Santa Beard within the year, but she is the reason I wake up in the morning (and maybe someday the reason I DON'T), so I'll keep shaving for her sake, y'know?

schwab
Saturday, December 1st, 2018, 03:06 AM
Beards are welcome when you grow old, it covers all the wrinkles. I know, I'm 82.
Hello from Oregon, I used to live in the Santa Clarita area (Acton) less than a year ago.

Wuotans Krieger
Saturday, December 1st, 2018, 10:45 AM
A fascinating article on how Anglo-Saxons viewed their beards-a sign of masculinity and the sacred: http://marcus.group.shef.ac.uk/bigger-is-better-anglo-saxons-and-their-beards/

Herr Rentz
Saturday, December 1st, 2018, 11:01 AM
Although I sometimes go several days without shaving, I have no desire for a beard and have never had one.

Aptrgangr
Sunday, December 2nd, 2018, 05:16 PM
I have a beard (most of the time).

Leliana
Monday, December 3rd, 2018, 11:43 PM
I ususally like chin beards, goaties, but a bit longer. The problem about beards is that hipsters and islamists have cursed the 'beard' topic...I know a few men who would like to grow a beard but keep it clean to not be confused with either of the two. Three-day-beards are fine, most men are sexy with it. But there are some who look like hobos...:P

LillyCaterina
Tuesday, December 4th, 2018, 01:57 AM
My hubby looks great with or without a beard. So I really don't have any strong feelings about men with beards as long as they're kept neat and clean. :)

Wuotans Krieger
Tuesday, December 4th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I ususally like chin beards, goaties, but a bit longer. The problem about beards is that hipsters and islamists have cursed the 'beard' topic...I know a few men who would like to grow a beard but keep it clean to not be confused with either of the two. Three-day-beards are fine, most men are sexy with it. But there are some who look like hobos...:P

A "three-day-beard" is not a beard. It is mere stubble or as we say in England, 'bum fluff'. I care not how my beard may be perceived as I do not define myself by the preconceptions of others. Thus I rarely trim my beard. I will occasionally trim my moustache as it gets in the way of my food but if the 'Tommy Robinson' supporting knuckle draggers wish to confuse me with being a muslim that is their problem.

Wuotans Krieger
Tuesday, December 4th, 2018, 12:07 PM
An interesting pdf article on the relationship between beards and the Germanic Gods and followers of the Northern path. http://norskk.is/bytta/skegg/heathen_beard.pdf

Alice
Thursday, December 6th, 2018, 05:35 PM
So I really don't have any strong feelings about men with beards as long as they're kept neat and clean. :)

I echo this, but I don't like it when a man's beard scratches me, though.

Wuotans Krieger
Thursday, December 6th, 2018, 05:48 PM

Real beards do not scratch. That 'beard' sounds more like stubble to me. If you can't tie a knot in it then it isn't a beard but as we say in England, 'bum fluff'.

LillyCaterina
Thursday, December 6th, 2018, 06:18 PM

Gareth is considerate about letting his whiskers grow past the point where they're all scratchy. They do tickle at times though. :wsg