PDA

View Full Version : Peek-a-boo Bang - The tribute site to Veronica Lake

Frans_Jozef
Thursday, September 23rd, 2004, 01:26 AM
What is a Peek-a-boo Bang Anyway?
Veronica Lake

http://peek-a-boo-bang.wyrdweb.com/

So some of you may well be wondering what exactly a Peek-a-boo Bang is! So lets start with the basics.

Bang: "n. A fringe of hair cut short and straight across the forehead. Often used in the plural"
Peek-a-boo: "n. : a game played with young children; you hide your face and suddenly reveal it"

So a Peek-a-boo Bang was the term coined for the hair style of having one eye obscured by the hanging of a long 'bang' of hair drifting down one side of the face.

In the case of Connie Keane this was a natural feature of when she grew her hair long.. a look that the hair and makeup artists of the 40's extenuated into her look.

She says herself in her autobiography that during an early audition her hair kept flopping over her eye as she attempted to act (never having acted before in her life) and became frustrated to tears as she flicked it back again and again. SOmething the director picked up on and was to become her trade mark and a feature thats copied in film and advertising even today.

the danger of factory working with a bangVeronica Lake makes the headlines.Such was the power of the look.. women want to look like the movie stars of the day and during the second world war, women working in the munitions factories were discouraged from obscuring their vision by government sponsored ads commissioned with the help of Ms Lake herself.

Some of these continuing influences can be seen in the inspiration section of this site.. Peek-a-boo Bang.

Frans_Jozef
Thursday, September 23rd, 2004, 01:34 AM
VERONICA LAKE

An American Blond Beauty

Veronica Lake was born in Brooklyn, New York on November 14, 1919 (some sources say 1922) with the birth name of Constance Frances Marie Ockleman. Her father worked for an oil company as a ship employee. While still a child, Veronica's parents moved to Florida when she wasn't quite a year old.

By the time she was five, the family had returned to Brooklyn. She was expose to acting early when she starred in a primary school play. It was to be her only stage outing, at least for a while.

When Veronica was 12, her father died in an explosion on the oil ship. One year later her mother wed Anthony Keane and Veronica took his last name as her own. From that point on the family moved around a lot, living in Canada, New York State, and Miami, Florida.

By the time Veronica had graduated from high school in Miami, she was already known as one of the local Miami beauties. She felt that she was ready for films. Her mother and step-father moved to a small home in Beverly Hills, California in 1938 where Mrs. Keane enrolled her lovely daughter in the well known Bliss Hayden School of Acting in Hollywood. She didn't have to wait long for a part to come her way.

Her first movie was as one of the many coeds in the RKO film, SORORITY HOUSE in 1939. It was a minor part, to be sure, but it was a start. Veronica quickly followed up that project with two other films. ALL WOMEN HAVE SECRETS and DANCING CO-ED, both in 1939, were again bit roles for the pretty young woman from the East Coast, but she didn't complain. After all, other would-be starlets took a while before they ever received a bit part.

Veronica continued her schooling, in 1940, while taking a bit roles in two more films, YOUNG AS YOU FEEL and FORTY LITTLE MOTHERS. Prior to this time, she was still under her natural name of Constance Keane.

Now, with a better role in 1941's I WANTED WINGS, she was asked to change her name and Veronica Lake was born. Now, instead of playing coeds, she had a decent, speaking part. Veronica felt like an actress. The film was a success and the public loved this bright newcomer.

Paramount, the studio she was under contract with, then assigned her to two more films that year, HOLD BACK THE DAWN and SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS. The latter received good reviews from the always tough film critics.

As Ellen Graham, in THIS GUN FOR HIRE the following year, Veronica now had top billing. She had paid her dues and was on a roll. The public was enamored with her.

In 1943, Veronica starred in only one film. She portrayed Lieutenant Olivia D'Arcy in SO PROUDLY WE HAIL! with Claudette Colbert. The film was a box-office smash. It seemed that any film Veronica starred in would be an unquestionable hit.

However, her only outing for 1944, in THE HOUR BEFORE DAWN would not be well-received by either the public or the critics. As Nazi sympathizer, Dora Bruckmann, Veronica's role was dismal at best. Critics immensely disliked her accent because it wasn't true to life. Her acting itself suffered because of the accent.

Mediocre films trailed her for all of 1945. It seemed that Veronica was dumped in just about any film to see if it could be salvaged. HOLD THAT BLONDE, OUT OF THIS WORLD, and MISS SUSIE SLAGLE'S was just a waste of talent for the beautiful blonde. The latter film was a shade better than the previous two.

In 1946, Veronica bounced back in THE BLUE DAHLIA with Howard Da Silva. The film was a hit, but it would be the last decent film for Veronica. Paramount continued to put her in pathetic movies.

After 1948, Paramount discharged the once, prized star and she was on her own.

In 1949, she starred in the Twentieth Century film SLATTERY'S HURRICANE. Unfortunately, another weak film. She was not to be on the big screen again until 1952 when she appeared in STRONGHOLD. By Veronica's own admission, the film "was a dog."

From 1952 to 1966, Veronica made television appearances and even tried her hand at the stage. Not a lot of success for her at all. By now, alcohol was the order of the day. She was down on her luck and drank heavily.

In 1962, Veronica was found living in an old hotel and working as a bartender. She, finally, returned to the big screen in 1966 in FOOTSTEPS IN THE SNOW. Another drought ensued and she appeared on the silver screen for the last time in 1970's FLESH FEAST a very low budget film.

On July 7, 1973, Veronica died of hepatitis in Burlington, Vermont. The beautiful actress with the long blonde hair was dead at the age of 53.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/2440/index-9.html

Renwein
Thursday, September 23rd, 2004, 02:50 PM
I saw this site a few years ago, it looks like they've made it better since then. I was going through a bunch of old movies at the time and of the actresses Veronica Lake struck me as being the most.. umm... striking. I did like the story about people copying the haircut and getting it stuck in machines being a problem with the war effort, haha. I even tried to do that hair myself briefly... it didn't work... :hrm

Siegmund
Monday, October 4th, 2004, 11:25 AM
What a beauty! Here are three more links you may have seen already:

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/veronicalake.html
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Palace/5218/lake/index.html
http://www.classicsavers.com/wallpaper/Lake.html

I have attached some of my favorite pics as well.

Frans_Jozef
Wednesday, October 13th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Veronica Lake's Reputed Remains Resurface

Tue Oct 12, 2:12 PM ET

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=5&u=/ap/20041012/ap_en_mo/film_veronica_s_ashes

By LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - With her peek-a-boo blond hairdo and sultry looks, Veronica Lake was the "it-girl" of the 1940s silver screen. When she died penniless three decades later, her ashes sat anonymously in a funeral home for nearly three years before they were scattered off the Florida coast. Or were they?

Far from the Hollywood hills and many miles north of Miami, Lake's reputed remains have resurfaced in a Catskills antique store. The quirky little shop plans a homage to the late star on Saturday, with a look-alike contest, "Peek-A-Boo" cookies and a spoonful of the actress' purported ashes taking center stage.

While questions about the ashes' authenticity hang over the event like Lake's signature hairstyle, the boutique's owner is convinced they are the real thing.

"It's a strange little footnote to a fascinating legacy," said Laura Levine, owner of Homer and Langley's Mystery Spot in Phoenicia, N.Y. "I'm a huge fan of Veronica Lake. I just think she's brilliant, gorgeous, incredibly talented and underappreciated."

Lake was once one of Hollywood's brightest lights, a contemporary of Oscar winners Ingrid Bergman and Joan Crawford, a co-star with Alan Ladd in the film noirs "This Gun for Hire" and "The Glass Key," and with Joel McCrea in Preston Sturges' "Sullivan's Travels."

Her hairstyle, with long locks cascading over her right eye, was so popular that U.S. officials asked her to change it during World War II, fearing the 'do might cause workplace accidents among women on assembly lines.

Kim Basinger's Oscar-winning call girl character in 1998's "L.A. Confidential" was based on Lake.

But when the actress died in her early 50s on July 7, 1973, she was an entertainment footnote. She was working as a New York cocktail waitress, drinking heavily and married to her fourth husband, a commercial fisherman known as "Captain Bob."

Her sparsely attended Manhattan memorial service was paid for by a friend, veteran ghostwriter Donald Bain, who penned Lake's autobiography. Not even her ashes made the event; they were stored at a Burlington, Vt., funeral home in a squabble over money, as best Bain can remember.

The remains remained there until March 1976, when two friends volunteered to bring Lake's ashes to Florida. Bain sent the funeral home $200 to cover the back storage fees, and the ashes were shipped to the Park Avenue residence of Lake confidante William Roos.

Roos and pal Dick Toman took the ashes south for their ceremonial deposit in the water off Miami, just as Lake had once requested.

Mission accomplished. Or so Bain thought.

The years passed, Toman died, Roos fell out of touch with Bain and then, 28 years later, Lake's ashes reappeared, along with an odd story of ownership.

According to Lake's current keeper, Larry Brill, off-Broadway producer Ben Bagley saw the urn with Lake's ashes while visiting Roos and became enamored of the attractive container. Roos, for reasons unexplained, later sent along the ashes to Bagley without the urn, said Brill.

A disappointed Bagley promptly poured the remains into a manila envelope and mailed them to Brill in about 1979. The amount was so small that it was clearly not all of her remains, suggesting that Roos might have saved some of the ashes as a keepsake.

"I have no reason not to believe the ashes are Veronica Lake," said Brill, 65, a graphic designer and Lake fan. "Benny's not going to dump some stranger's ashes in an envelope."

Bagley died in 1998, and neither Brill nor Bain knows what became of Roos. That leaves Bain as the last skeptical voice.

"How do you know these aren't the ashes of a dog from the vet?" wondered the author of more than 80 books, including the "Murder She Wrote" mystery series under the Jessica Fletcher pseudonym and the amorous adventures of two swinging stewardesses in "Coffee, Tea or Me?"

Brill, who spends his weekends in the Catskills, brought the ashes to Levine's store this summer. They quickly found a place among the shop's garden gnomes, vintage clothing and paint-by-number art, and inspired the October tribute.

Brill plans to take the ashes back to Manhattan afterward, and said he was considering offers for the ashes from potential buyers.

"What am I going to do, leave it to my 13-year-old kid?" Brill said. "My kid could care less. He doesn't know who she is."

(Though humanism reigns supreme in the tabloids of our self-deluting indoctrination, never before we owned less our life and was respect of our remains so ignored as in our best of times -- a moody personal remark)