HORACE HINES, Observer staff reporter
Friday, August 27, 2004

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=20410&stc=1
Winston Campbell (right), father of Olympic
200-metre champion Veronica Campbell,
and his son Winston, look at pictures of
Veronica's triumph in the Observer newspaper
on Wednesday. (Photo: Vernon Webb)

As Jamaicans celebrate the feat of Olympic 200 metres gold medal winner Veronica Campbell, the young sprinter's father, 51 year-old Long Pond Sugar Estate worker Cecil Campbell, is no exception.

"Me know say she would medal so I was not surprised when she came out ahead of the field," he told the Observer.
"I kind of felt nervous before the race but when I realise she up there, me body temperature come down. I feel nice man and give God thanks ...blessed. Veronica is a nice child," he said.

The proud father revealed that he noticed his daughter's ability from an early age: "From she around 12 to 13 years-old me notice that she could run."

The elder Campbell, who resides in Hyde, Clark's Town in Trelawny, also says Veronica is a chip off the old block as he himself dabbled in athletics while a student in Westmoreland, where he is from.

His prowess on the track then earned him the nickname "Honda", for the fastest motor bikes in Jamaica at the time.
Winston Campbell, the 28 year-old brother of the Olympic gold champion, confirmed that running is in the Campbell genes, as he, too, did well at Cedric Titus High School in the 100 and 200 metres.

"Running in the family blood. When me was at Cedric, nobody never beat me in the 100 or 200 metres, but I lost interest in tracks as I did not get any help so when I left school that was it for tracks," he said.

His younger brother, Errol, concurred: "When he was going to 'Sec' he was (running very fast) without any coaching," he said.

Winston said he was a bit disappointed when his sister took the bronze in the 100 metres.

"I was a little disappointed as I was looking for her to beat the American, but I gave the Russian the edge... the start was not the best but I give thanks she got a medal," he said.

Campbell became the first English-speaking Caribbean woman to win an Olympic 200m gold when she captured the 200 metres at the Athens Olympics on Wednesday.

[Source (http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20040826T230000-0500_65272_OBS_RUNNING_S_IN_OUR_GENES__C AMPBELLS_SAY.asp)]

StrÝbog
Saturday, September 18th, 2004, 09:03 AM
This should be merged with the "white men can't jump" thread. ;)

Johnny Reb
Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Here's a good article for you, Stribog, regarding fast twitch musculature in blacks.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do;jsessionid=05E6570B3BF5EC E73D40FAD0027C3891.ba13-1?article=5speed

I still maintain that their skill and domination in b-ball is learned, and not inherited.

Johnny Reb
Monday, September 20th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I still maintain that their skill and domination in b-ball is learned, and not inherited.

I think I should clarify this statement. The elite white basketball player is every bit as "good" as the elite black player, only his style of playing is different. White players in the NBA seem to be less aggressive, less selfish with the ball, and better at 3 pointers. This could probably be that they are making up for their lack of jumping ability or body size. When I say black domination of the sport, I mean numbers-wise, and this I do think is cultural. I'd be willing to bet (though we'll never see it happen), that a team made up entirely of NBA whites would be the best in the league.

Johnny Reb
Monday, September 20th, 2004, 02:30 AM
http://sportsbybrooks.com/marquisweeks.jpg

The WASHINGTON POST gets this postgame comment from Virginia's Marquis Weeks, moments after his 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown last week against North Carolina. "That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops."

I think I've figured it out! Blacks are sexually selected for speed, in that the fast ones can stay out of jail to reproduce, while the slower ones are locked up for the duration of their reproductive years. :D

Nehaj
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2004, 05:27 AM
Kicking ass is in our genes (http://www.penismightier.com/eod/kickasskid.wmv)

Dr. Solar Wolff
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2004, 07:20 AM
Here's a good article for you, Stribog, regarding fast twitch musculature in blacks.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do;jsessionid=05E6570B3BF5EC E73D40FAD0027C3891.ba13-1?article=5speed

Well, Blacks have greater bone density than Whites. Blacks, while young and in good condition, have less body fat than Whites. But this article equates foot speed with fast twitch muscle fiber and this may not be true. O.J. said it best in his discussion of racial differences in athletic ability. The big difference between Blacks and Whites regarding sprints is in the lower leg. Blacks have rather round, smooth tibia bones. Whites have triangular tibias and they are anything but smooth. The triangular shape appears to be a result of larger calf muscles. These larger calf muscles are stronger but heavier. This means a White athlete must lift a heavier weight with each stride. The stronger calf muscles don't come into play because a sprint is run on level ground. White sprinters are at a serious disadvantage in this event.

This is not true of strength sports in general, however. Weightlifting is dominated by Whites. Mongoloids are strong contenders also, but mainly in the lighter weight divisions. There are many skeletal advantages in which top class weight lifters have over the rest of us. Body proportion is one. Coon makes much of the olecron fossa which is the hole in the humeus into which the olecron process (funny bone) fits. This is the attachement for the tricep muscle and the fossa provides a mechanical advantage for its owner. Europeans have this fossa in higher percentage than other races. The Neanderthal percentage was even higher.

But retuning to sprints, as I recall, a Russian woman beat every black woman in the field for the Gold Metal in the Athens games. Also, a Swede beat everyone in the high jump. As a matter of fact, Blacks did poorly in the Athens games.