PDA

View Full Version : What is "map" on the toolbar?

Alkman
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 01:16 AM
I have just noticed "Map".What is it about?

Allenson
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM
What I see is a map of Germany, Switzerland and Austria with the locations of, so far, two members....

I've thought before that it would be a fascinating visual to plot the locations, world-wide, of Skadi members. That is, those who are willing to divulge the locations of their secret lairs. ;)

Milesian
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 01:34 PM
That is, those who are willing to divulge the locations of their secret lairs. ;)

Nein! :adolf :D

Thorburn
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I have just noticed "Map".What is it about? It's for members that reside in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. They can enter their ZIP code via the User CP and are then plotted on the map.

I've thought before that it would be a fascinating visual to plot the locations, world-wide, of Skadi members. There is no world map so far, as someone (you? :P) would have to enter all the ZIP codes of the world and link them to lattitude and longitude.

I think they are working on a EU map, currently, however. If it should ever become available, we will replace the current one.

Zyklop
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Why not just make a world map where everyone is only listed in his country.

Thorburn
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Why not just make a world map where everyone is only listed in his country.
Why not make a world map where people can enter the lattitude and longitude themselves? :P

Would be technically quite easy to implement without these megabytes of data tables. ;)

Milesian
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I think it's a really smart hack. I look forward to a European one in the future. :)

nemo
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 03:23 PM
It's for members that reside in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. They can enter their ZIP code via the User CP and are then plotted on the map.

Haha Njord! you have exposed your bias, in your heart your a nordicist, by the time you get done with the map their probably will be only Northern European countrys on it, and you will call it the new Europe, and you probably will push all the SE countrys into the mediterranean sea.

This means war Njord! you better get your buddy Loki, because your going to need all the help you can get. :(

Julius
Thursday, September 16th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Here's an example map from another (non-Nationalist) IRC channel.

They look up their lattitude and longitude with Free ZIP code Lookup (http://www.zipinfo.com/search/zipcode.htm) or something similar, and give them to someone who creates the map using programs like XEarth (http://www.cs.colorado.edu/%7Etuna/xearth/index.html) or XPlanet (http://xplanet.sourceforge.net).

The exact positions are not important in big maps, so I guess it would be enough if people could find the coordinates of their nearest city.

One map of the World and one of Europe. :)

Mac Seafraidh
Friday, September 17th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Skadi always has great new features! Better than the multiculti or mainstream forums.

Allenson
Friday, September 17th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Haha Njord! you have exposed your bias, in your heart your a nordicist, by the time you get done with the map their probably will be only Northern European countrys on it, and you will call it the new Europe, and you probably will push all the SE countrys into the mediterranean sea.

This means war Njord! you better get your buddy Loki, because your going to need all the help you can get. :(

Do you contemplate anything else? I am begining to think that you are obsessed! :|

Maybe you need a hobby--knitting? Quilting? Model airplanes...?

nemo
Friday, September 17th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Do you contemplate anything else? I am begining to think that you are obsessed! :|

Maybe you need a hobby--knitting? Quilting? Model airplanes...?

Maybe you should get a sense of humor :)

Marius
Friday, September 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Maybe you should get a sense of humor :)

I think the map limits itself to Germany, Austria and perhaps Switzerland (since I see no cantons on it), because the ones who implemented only had introduced the postal codes for these countries, or perhaps they already had a database on this. For the whole Europe is rather complicated, since you must perhaps contact each national postal service to get it and I am not sure whether all these services would be very opened to the idea.