PDA

View Full Version : What Would Have Been Hitler's Fate Had He Been Captured Alive?

a history buff
Thursday, August 30th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Would he have suffered the same fate as Mussolini? Would he have been tried at Nuremberg with everyone else, or would the Russians have dealt with him by themselves? What do you think?

Aelfgar
Thursday, August 30th, 2018, 10:38 PM
He would have been taken to England and given a job as an announcer on a railway station.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Thursday, August 30th, 2018, 11:48 PM
The Sovjets would have delivered him to Nuremberg .
Probably they would have kept him for a while in Russia before the trials began .

If the western allies would have conquered Berlin , for example the Ardennes Offensive
would have happened at the Eastern Front , and the western allies would have stopped
supplying Sovjet-Russia from the end of year 1944 ,
that would be also an unnecessary waste of thoughts .

It happened .
All are dead .
The many questions never asked and therefore everyhing is speculation.

Speculation is an attribute commonly assigned by the press and media to
Financial Markets attendants.

Terminus
Friday, August 31st, 2018, 06:20 AM
As he himself suspected, he would have in all likelihood been strung up and paraded around to satiate emotion laden haters.

Honestly, he would never be given the chance to defend himself in public since he would've wielded considerable influence over peoples with his oratory. They'd essentially be giving him a platform to turn things in his favor.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if he was merely imprisoned for life like with Rudolf Hess. He'd be too high profile for an execution. They might want to keep him alive as a bogeyman.

jagdmesser
Friday, August 31st, 2018, 09:54 AM
Caged for public exhibition next to Lenin’sMausoleum in Red Square.

SaxonPagan
Friday, August 31st, 2018, 04:02 PM
Hitler did the right thing.

Žoreišar
Friday, August 31st, 2018, 06:18 PM
A death by combat, alongside the kids that were sent out as a last stand defense of Berlin, would have been more fitting.

SS-Wolf
Sunday, September 2nd, 2018, 09:36 PM
Der Fuhrer would have been hung, drawn and quartered.

Herr Rentz
Sunday, September 2nd, 2018, 10:06 PM
Pretty certain they stopped drawing and quartering by the 18th century.

J.Yaxley
Monday, September 3rd, 2018, 12:44 AM
Would he have suffered the same fate as Mussolini? Would he have been tried at Nuremberg with everyone else, or would the Russians have dealt with him by themselves? What do you think?

If the Russians captured him they would have likely tortured him and attempted to extract strategically useful information out of him. Then they would have sent him to the Nuremberg show trial. The Brits had previously attempted to convince the Russians to liquidate several high ranking members of the NSDAP but Stalin had refused to agree to that protocol. The Soviets & the Americans wanted a show trial while the Brits wanted most of the high ranking members of the party to 'commit suicide.'

More info on this here: http://www.fpp.co.uk/Himmler/death/PRO_doc1.html

A death by combat, alongside the kids that were sent out as a last stand defense of Berlin, would have been more fitting.

Considering the personality cult that surrounded him, and his questionable physical / mental state, it might have been worse if he had tried to fight to the death. His men, bound by their oaths, would have tried to keep him alive and he wouldn't have been much use with his hand spasms. Imo, he would have been more of a hindrance than an asset on the battlefield.

Sigurd
Monday, September 3rd, 2018, 09:41 AM
Many of the people sentenced in the Nuremberg trials were sentenced to death. This likely would have happened to Hitler, too: especially would it have been carried out fairly soon to break the others' morale. So, he would have probably never lived to see the day where most who hadn't yet been executed had their sentences reduced to life-or-less imprisonment.

Also, considering the reveration some feel for Hess chiefly for his incarceration over 46 years (and life for Hitler wouldn't have meant any less than life) would have been too dangerous to risk. That being said, he was an ill man towards the end of the war, so regardless of the outcome of the war and/or the outcome of a trial, chances are he'd have never lived for another ten years, if at all.

Drusilla
Wednesday, September 5th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I think the Soviets would have killed him on the spot had he been captured alive. That or a public execution. Either way, since the Soviets got to his bunker before the Americans did, they would have killed him. If it was the Americans, I think he would have been kept alive and stood trial like the Nuremberg trials.

I don’t think he would have liked to be dragged and humiliated and killed like Il Duce.

Unregistered Sozi
Thursday, October 18th, 2018, 03:23 AM
Your assuming he did not survive...

Ravenrune
Thursday, October 18th, 2018, 03:15 PM
The British and Americans would not have wanted Hitler alive at the Nuremberg trials as they would not have wanted to allow him to talk. It was bad enough (for them) that they misjudged Goering (sorry unable to type the German spelling) who did say intelligent arguments (and also the uncomfortably funny fact that the British royalty is German ... House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha which was conveniently changed to Windsor during World War I for obvious reasons LOL - Goering pointing this out always cracks me up!).

I kind of ponder whether Goering was killed off and actually didn't take a cyanide pill he somehow had hidden or someone snuck in. I wonder if they'd want him silenced so he couldn't say anything before he was hanged (but I suppose that's speculation anyway)

I also feel it is most likely that Himmler was killed by the British who he surrendered to (ie, he didn't take a hidden cyanide capsule while in custody) for this same reason. They wouldn't have wanted to allow Himmler to talk at these show trials because he would have said things they didn't want on record.

As for what the Soviet Union might have done (since they were there first), I don't know. I guess it's all just speculation.

Wuotans Krieger
Sunday, November 25th, 2018, 07:00 PM

There would have been an ugly show trial. Hitler did the right thing-he got away whilst he could.