PDA

View Full Version : Spanish becoming official?

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM
What do you think about Spanish as another official language of America due to the Mexican Empire's posession of land in the old Wild West? Would you rather have it French as a large part of America was once French? Or would you have it be Dutch, as one tract of land was part of Holland?

My opinion is that it should remain English, much as England founded America by settlement, payment and conquest. Many of the Mediaeval Plantagenet and Norman monarchs of England spoke French as their first language, so we could allow French. Welsh was the tongue of the Bloody Mary and Virgin Queen's forebears, so Welsh could be spoken here too. I wouldn't mind Scottish because each King Charles was a Scotsman. Each King James too and Queen Mary although King William was Dutch and as such we could allow that tongue. I wouldn't mind German either because Georgia was founded by Germans. We could also allow Danish because some early kings were Danish. Looks like Ireland is left out, but they refused so many times to be a party to the Union and as such none was ever in the monarchy of England. There was the Belgian Queen Phillipa of Hainult, Catherine of Aragon and King Philip of Spain and maybe more I have forgotten that might mean we should allow the languages. I am leaning on settlement during colonial days by the Crown, though.

Sorry, America was named after Richard Amerike, a Welshman, not Amerigo Vespucci. One doesn't name a hemisphere of land after somebody's first name. The reality is, if any referral to operations of a corporate nature in connection to exploration and charter of expeditions to the New World had a name, it would surely be a surname. One doesn't do business by first name and rarely do businessmen discuss such things by first name either, especially in signing your name on a map. One might use a personal name for love letters, but be serious here. Sorry Spaniards and Italians...you didn't discover what became America, unless your name is John Cabot aka Giovanni Caboti in service to King Henry VII of England. Henry Tudor and Richard Amerike were both Welsh by descent. Amerike comes from Ap Meryk. Christopher Columbus discovered the Caribbean and Mesoamerica which later became New Spain. We shouldn't be having Columbus day as one for celebration in America. Leave that matter for Mexico. Danish was official in the Virgin Islands and Swedish official in Delaware, but England and America-England's colony-amassed both.

Looks like just about everybody else(besides Germans by the Hanover-Brunswickers) are immigrants and barely belong much as former slave descendents as well. Might as well send you on back to where you came. Then we can work on the technicalities of the second languages for legitimate people in America, such as who I spoke of. Are you aware that there have been several attempts to finalise the matter of speech? Ranging from Ebonics to British English to Spanglish. The matter must be resolved, as even States these days have their own mascots. They have their own tartans, trees, flags, constitutions, arms, animals. One must surely see this as an improvement upon the English Shire, as that institution has been long vacant.

It does look from here as if we can't easily break it down:

"Philip and Mary, by the Grace of God King and Queen of England, Spain, France, Jerusalem, both the Sicilies and Ireland, Defenders of the Faith, Archdukes of Austria, Dukes of Burgundy, Milan and Brabant, Counts of Hapsburg, Flanders and Tyrol."

Vestmannr
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Not in my country.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Dude, why are you so defensive and bitter without a decent discussion on common affairs? If the Belgians can discuss this, so can we.

Vestmannr
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Dude, why are you so defensive and bitter without a decent discussion on common affairs? If the Belgians can discuss this, so can we.

What's defensive about it? No bitterness either. The issue was just debated in public this past month in my own state: the government spent money for Spanish language driver's license tests. The public reacted rather negatively. So: not in my country, and most of my countrymen down here agree. Not in my country: let them speak Spanish in countries of Spanish civilization and origin.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Ok, I was just wondering what people think of the validity of Spanish vs French etc.

Vestmannr
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Ok, I was just wondering what people think of the validity of Spanish vs French etc.

1 million Cajuns speak Acadian French in southern Louisiana. I'm fine with that. Just let them speak English if they come here, and don't make us spend tax dollars making 'Acadian/Cajun' forms, manuals, etc.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Thursday, September 9th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Alright, I believe that each ethnic community deserves to speak their own if they can finance it. From what other reason should they claim ethnic status?

QuietWind
Tuesday, September 28th, 2004, 04:54 PM
What? You mean Spanish isn't already the offical language of the US? Someone forgot to tell Texas that.

Vestmannr
Tuesday, September 28th, 2004, 05:41 PM
I'm guessing you mean because of the government translations of forms and documents in Spanish? ;) Yeah, its because of the Republican sponsored creation of Azatlan. I'm really pissed - the latest action of the Bush cabinet, a visit by Ridge to the border with Mexico - to expand the entrance into Texas from Mexico by two more lanes. (How about putting a couple of Army divisions down there on the border instead?)