PDA

View Full Version : Are Germans Generally Rude and Uncommunicative Compared to Other Nations?

American_in_GER
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 06:38 AM
I'm an American who recently had to relocate to Germany due to my job and I was quite shocked at the level of cultural difference. Now this isn't my first trip to a European country, I've also heard about the rude Dutch stereotype, but I must say I haven't experienced the same level of rudeness in the Netherlands. Am I simply misunderstanding the German people, are there different standards in Germany as to what is considered friendly and polite?

P.S. I don't mean to insult the Germans, this is just my first impression as a foreigner. I'd like to understand them better, since I am going to be living amongst them for a while.

SpearBrave
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Americans are generally more outgoing and more revealing in their lives. It has been my experience that Germans are very friendly, but they don't come off as overly cheerful and fake as Americans do. While Americans seem friendly and outgoing it is often not genuine and Americans are more worried about offending and are indirect.
Germans do tend to be somewhat blunt, but not all of them. There are some cultural rules that apply such as you don't generally open a conversation on the train with a stranger. I also noticed a habit of mine that was considered odd...I hold doors open for women and I got some very strange looks for in Germany.

SaxonPagan
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Are Germans Generally Rude and Uncommunicative Compared to Other Nations?

:D ... treading on eggshells, but here goes ...

I wouldn't call it 'rudeness' but my impression has always been that it's more difficult to get to know them. Once you've done so they make loyal friends but you do sometimes have to be patient until they accept you ;)

Astragoth
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 12:36 PM
:D ... treading on eggshells, but here goes ...

I wouldn't call it 'rudeness' but my impression has always been that it's more difficult to get to know them. Once you've done so they make loyal friends but you do sometimes have to be patient until they accept you ;)

One thing i heard says it best. The difference between friends and acquaintances is about twenty years. I've noticed I tend to be blunt and direct myself.

Herr Rentz
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 12:40 PM
They are not as forward or fake as Americans are. Whether or not most Americans realize how their trite their greeting sounds, I don't know. I know they really don't give a crap how you are when they ask. It's almost automatic as it spills out of their mouths.

I much prefer the German way.

Siebenbürgerin
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 04:13 PM
In my view, it's usually a combination between cultural clashes (American vs. European/German) and different definitions of what is understood by rude. For example, not engaging in small talk with strangers or not smiling at strangers might be considered rude from an American perspective. But in Europe, these things aren't a "must" of the social etiquette. Another point is honesty/frankness. "False niceties" are also not always part of the social etiquette, so if for example you ask someone if a type of clothing flatters you, you'll get a honest opinion. But that's not because of rudeness, most people who are honest say the opinion politely and constructively.

As an American in Germany, some educative sources could be the experiences of other expats in the country. For example, the blog German Way, was written by such an expat. They've also an article on this topic of "rudeness". I post the more important parts which point on cultural differences, for the full text follow this link: How to tell when Germans are really being rude versus just being German (https://www.german-way.com/how-to-tell-when-germans-are-really-being-rude-versus-just-being-german/)

Show Some Respect!

One rule of life is that we usually get treated the way we treat others. English-speakers are often guilty of assuming that everyone speaks English (or should), even in Germany, France or any foreign location. Most expats know they should learn the local language, but even when you’re just a tourist, it is common courtesy (not rude!) to learn at least some key phrases in the language of the country you’re visiting. Germans or French people understandably get irritated when they encounter a loutish Brit or American who makes no attempt whatsoever to learn to say please, thank you, or anything else in the native tongue. No one expects you to expound at great length in the national language, but you can at least show some respect by learning some key phrases that allow you to be more polite – and less irritating. You may not realize it when you have become the “ugly American” or “ugly Briton” – but you increase your “ugly” chances by not making any effort to learn the local lingo. If you are experiencing rude behavior in a foreign culture, ask yourself if it might be the other way around. Does your behavior seem rude to the natives?

Unnecessary Smiling

Europeans, especially northern Europeans (not just Germans), only smile when they want to. Smiling at some stranger you have never met before is considered foolish. Americans who smile at everyone on the street can seem, well, a bit weak in the head. (Recall the scene in Crocodile Dundee where the title figure is walking down the streets of Manhattan, tipping his hat and saying “G’day” to everyone he passes.) The problem for Americans is that they often mistake a European non-smile for rudeness, when it’s just a neutral facial expression, indicating neither joy nor sorrow, neither anger nor approval. Just normal.

German Frankness

If you really want to hear the truth, ask a German. If you ask an American, “Does this shirt/dress look good on me?” you’ll usually get a polite reply, even if the person thinks it’s the ugliest thing he/she has ever seen. Ask a German the same question and you’ll get an honest, blunt opinion – positive or negative. Germans tend to be direct and to the point. They consider small talk and over-politeness a waste of time. Americans often mistake German frankness for rudeness. Some people use the-coconut-versus-the-peach metaphor to describe this difference (and not just for Germans and Americans). A coconut is tough on the outside, but soft with sweet milk inside. A peach is just the opposite: soft on the outside, with a tough pit in the center. Germans are coconuts, with a hard exterior that’s tough to crack. Americans are peaches, easy to get to know, but with a hard interior. As one consultant puts it: “When peaches and coconuts meet, misunderstanding is common. Peaches can see coconuts as cold and difficult to get to know, because they don’t engage much in social conversation. On the other hand, coconuts can see peaches as too friendly, superficial and even impolite because they ask too many personal questions.”

Finnish Swede
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 05:38 PM
I much prefer the German way.

+1

As I have lived among of Finns...here "this rudeness" have risen totally new level (no stupid/useless/meanless small talks at all & mind your own business!). And I like that millions times more than super talkative southern Europeans (or Americans?). Those people feels like fakes, not serious & sometimes even clowns!

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I was originally going to steer clear of replying to the thread, until I saw the haughtiness on display in the quote by Sieben, but not what she herself wrote.

In my view, it's usually a combination between cultural clashes (American vs. European/German) and different definitions of what is understood by rude. For example, not engaging in small talk with strangers or not smiling at strangers might be considered rude from an American perspective. But in Europe, these things aren't a "must" of the social etiquette. Another point is honesty/frankness. "False niceties" are also not always part of the social etiquette, so if for example you ask someone if a type of clothing flatters you, you'll get a honest opinion. But that's not because of rudeness, most people who are honest say the opinion politely and constructively.

As an American in Germany, some educative sources could be the experiences of other expats in the country. For example, the blog German Way, was written by such an expat. They've also an article on this topic of "rudeness". I post the more important parts which point on cultural differences, for the full text follow this link: How to tell when Germans are really being rude versus just being German (https://www.german-way.com/how-to-tell-when-germans-are-really-being-rude-versus-just-being-german/)

I don't care how Eurosnobs with a long history of ruling over the English Folk in Britain and America feel about how they are affronted by casual and open communication. How dare Saxon peasantry address our liege lords with such liberty? Don't we know our place? Why should they respond favourably to our upright and rebellious nature? The truth is, Britons and Americans are considered bottom of the totem pole among French and Germans, who all look at themselves as aristocrats compared to us "simpletons". The overly sophisticated fops have as little interest in Anglophones as they value our money for their overpriced goods and services. That's what Brexit and Remain are about!

For myself, I am taciturn in professional situations and prefer attention to detail, over chattiness. I've been criticised for not being more gregarious, but I pick and choose who I deem worthy of my time. I'd rather be quiet and in my own thoughts, than constantly talking. I was tired of school-aged dramas and social goose-stepping. That's one reason why I switched jobs from inside my facility, to become a full time driver and do night drops, removing unnecessary speech from the equation.

+1

As I have lived among of Finns...here "this rudeness" have risen totally new level (no stupid/useless/meanless small talks at all & mind your own business!). And I like that millions times more than super talkative southern Europeans (or Americans?). Those people feels like fakes, not serious & sometimes even clowns!

How many Americans do you know? You must be turned off by Italians, who, unfortunately, have taken over NYC from my Dutch relatives. Mafia types aren't thought highly of by Germanic folks like Eliot Ness, one of my heroes.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 07:19 PM
It depends on where you are .

Northern Germans are more reserved and emotionally cooler ,
than Southern Germans or people in the Rhineland ( Cologne ) .

The overall stress to survive our darwinistic times and the need
to feel the correct wave in economy while huge parts of
manufacturing were either sold out to East Asia , shut down completely
or replaced by automatizartion and now the refugee flood after the floodings
by Russian Germans and Eastern Europeans may make people behave more straight
and not-nice .

You cannot be sure if you meat a German or Russian German .
Donald Trump is being mobbed by the German press .
The Left has around 45% of votes still added all three main Left parties .
In the East of Germany the amount of radical Right and Left views is much
larger , than in the West of Germany .

In my opinion , it depends on how you as an US-American act .

Donald Trump for example is probably a Red Flag , and in our current
masochistic guilt-culture it may be advisable to lie :

Excuse me , I am an US-American , could you show me the way ?
Excuse me , I am American , and I hate Trump . Could you please show me the way ?

Aelfgar
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 07:44 PM
The Dutch can definitely be rude, almost aggressively, but I don't mean to stereotype them. From my experience with Germans, it is just that they are quite concerned with doing things by the rules and customs, and they are less tolerant of small infringements than Englishmen would be.

Coillearnach
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 08:36 PM
I don't know if I'd call it rude but simply less open, quiet, and maybe less responsive from my perspective. I haven't been to Germany or Austria in quite a while but I was definitely in the "Americans behaving badly" camp in several situations and it was a very large culture shock. I had more productive exchanges with visiting Latin Americans and Italians, though you have to factor in my (and probably their) knowledge of German verging on pathetic at the time :P

I don't know how much of the gap has to do with innate characteristics vs different historical dynamics. Maybe colonials have to take more care with openness and the possibility of offense because of very heterogeneous contexts, we can't rely on shared cultural (racial/ethnic/class) thinking and response? There is a certain fakeness though seeping into the character of large American cities that even I notice, e.g. salespeople asking you how you are and then walking away before you even answer. That's not a normal state of affairs, people generally give a **** about your answer.

Finnish Swede
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 08:45 PM
How many Americans do you know? You must be turned off by Italians, who, unfortunately, have taken over NYC from my Dutch relatives. Mafia types aren't thought highly of by Germanic folks like Eliot Ness, one of my heroes.

I admit....not many, but if average Americans keeps Germans someway "rude"...then that info is enough for me.

Italians? Spaniards & Greeks mainly (based by holidays), but Italians? Sure.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 09:57 PM
I admit....not many, but if average Americans keeps Germans someway "rude"...then that info is enough for me.

Italians? Spaniards & Greeks mainly (based by holidays), but Italians? Sure.

If you think that way about Germans aping the French, then you have no grounds for resentment over their presumptuous attitude you've complained about before. Americans are really just a red herring excuse for a superiority complex going back long before 1776. You know how little esteem Finns are held, yet you want to join with them? Misguided.

Finnish Swede
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 10:28 PM
If you think that way about Germans aping the French, then you have no grounds for resentment over their presumptuous attitude you've complained about before. Americans are really just a red herring excuse for a superiority complex going back long before 1776. You know how little esteem Finns are held, yet you want to join with them? Misguided.

Complained before? Whom?

I meant .... that knowledge (about Americans) ....among several others ... is someway enough for me to value Americans here (what comes to this particular issue/thread/topic). But of course that is just my opinion.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Complained before? Whom?

I meant .... that knowledge (about Americans) is someway enough for me to value them.

You've expressed reservations about Central European exclusivist attitudes in which Finns were not highly thought of. How soon you forget your own bias. Of course, whilst engaging in the anti-American bandwagon, you've forgotten about my fights for Finnish inclusion in the Germanic cultural sphere. I fought to keep you as a member here and who am I, but just some asshole Yank? Ungrateful.

Finnish Swede
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 10:40 PM
You've expressed reservations about Central European exclusivist attitudes in which Finns were not highly thought of. How soon you forget your own bias. Of course, whilst engaging in the anti-American bandwagon, you've forgotten about my fights for Finnish inclusion in the Germanic cultural sphere. I fought to keep you as a member here and who am I, but just some asshole Yank? Ungrateful.

LOL. Very sensitive are we?

Ok. Ask yourself do you keep Germans cold & rude people? If you do ... then maybe so. If you don't ... then maybe not!

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 10:52 PM
LOL. Very sensitive are we?

Ok. Ask yourself do you keep Germans cold & rude people? If you do ... then maybe so. If you don't ... then maybe not!

I've only found Germans to be arrogant hypocrites having too much in common with the aforementioned Southern Europeans you mentioned, which is why they will never renounce the EU. They prefer the company of Mediterraneans and look down on free Germanic folks in Britain and America, holding Nazi views more in common with Fascists and Communists, like the French and Soviets, or perhaps the vaunted Mohammaden Aryans, than any Nordic lands they're ostensibly supposed to be ethnically related to--but don't mind invading, occupying and subjugating "for their own good".

I'm cold and rude, or bloody-minded, according to my Yorkshire heritage, but some prefer my honesty:

https://forums.skadi.net/threads/170642-Northerners-Are-Friendlier-than-Southerners

Finnish Swede
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 11:11 PM
I've only found Germans to be arrogant hypocrites having too much in common with the aforementioned Southern Europeans you mentioned, which is why they will never renounce the EU. They prefer the company of Mediterraneans and look down on free Germanic folks in Britain and America, holding Nazi views more in common with Fascists and Communists, like the French and Soviets, or perhaps the vaunted Mohammaden Aryans, than any Nordic lands they're ostensibly supposed to be ethnically related to--but don't mind invading, occupying and subjugating "for their own good".

I'm cold and rude, or bloody-minded, according to my Yorkshire heritage, but some prefer my honesty:

https://forums.skadi.net/threads/170642-Northerners-Are-Friendlier-than-Southerners

For sure Germans are bit different than Scandinavians .... one part of that probable comes from fact that German's society is still more hierarchic (as are their companies, working cultures etc. vs Scandinavians). Still for me Germans are far from those Southern Europeans gigolos or machos ... from men who whistles etc.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 11:27 PM
For sure Germans are bit different than Scandinavians .... one part of that probable comes from fact that German's society is still more hierarchic (as are their companies, working cultures etc. vs Scandinavians). Still for me Germans are far from those Southern Europeans gigolos or machos ... from men who whistles etc.

What of Catholic Bavarians, Austrians and Swiss who stress relationships and cultural background with Italy and France whilst looking down on us as Protestant barbarian peasants or "shopkeepers" (Hanseatic League was nothing but shopkeepers!), yet it's people from those countries who come on places like Skadi and claim that they're the most loyal to Germanic Nordic heritage? These are the people who live neck and neck with Yiddish Ashkenazi Jews in the Alps, but whine about them escaping the ghetto for London or elsewhere and claim a Zionist conspiracy in which Britain and America are Occupied Government? Big Untermensch like Spengler, Lang, Freud, Marx, Einstein, Rothschild, Wittgenstein were all German or Austrians. Disraeli was Italian. You know...Rome-Berlin Axis? They exported their Jewish undesirables to Anglosphere society and then blamed us for it. Do the Germans want to have the Jews back in Germany, or expelled to Palestine? Impossible to please!

Finnish Swede
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 11:34 PM
What of Catholic Bavarians, Austrians and Swiss who stress relationships and cultural background with Italy and France whilst looking down on us as Protestant barbarian peasants or "shopkeepers" (Hanseatic League was nothing but shopkeepers!), yet it's people from those countries who come on places like Skadi and claim that they're the most loyal to Germanic Nordic heritage? These are the people who live neck and neck with Yiddish Ashkenazi Jews in the Alps, but whine about them escaping the ghetto for London or elsewhere and claim a Zionist conspiracy in which Britain and America are Occupied Government? Big Untermensch like Spengler, Lang, Freud, Marx, Einstein, Rothschild, Wittgenstein were all German or Austrians. Disraeli was Italian. You know...Rome-Berlin Axis? They exported their Jewish undesirables to Anglosphere society and then blamed us for it. Do the Germans want to have the Jews back in Germany, or expelled to Palestine? Impossible to please!

If any (incl. Germanic or German) Catholic will looks me down (as a Lutheran) ... I will not care about his/hers opinions. Honestly .... I don't value Catholics very high.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Saturday, July 7th, 2018, 11:58 PM
If any (incl. Germanic or German) Catholic will looks me down (as a Lutheran) ... I will not care about his/hers opinions. Honestly .... I don't value Catholics very high.

If I were you, though, I wouldn't look too harshly upon men who whistle or flirt with you. Your feminazi attitude is crippling Sweden and Finland, as testosterone is banned and men vilified. Enjoy your rapefugees and delude yourself about your martial arts training, when you've done nothing but neuter the men of your own kind who've only wanted to care for you. Unless you start sentencing rapefugee penises to the guillotine for every offence, you're not going to have any gender equality. Feel free to rage against your own grandfathers, fathers, uncles, brothers, cousins, boyfriends, husbands, sons and nephews, instead of taking a stand against the true enemies. You don't want to face criticisms of the Norden welfare state? Fix the problems. Oh, that's what men do. Women just want to talk about it, not get anything accomplished. You can only cry for help and not appreciate the advice for so long, before you are left to your own devices and must face facts all on your own. You don't want men around? You can be a mean old childless hag until you wither and die, without a future for your society. Keep blaming men for the sad state of emergency that you face. You will never know love and will just have male slaves without any self-respect, which means you don't believe in gender equality after all. Nobody wants a spoilt princess like Taylor Swift. Think more sweetly, yet realistically, like Carrie Underwood.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 12:36 AM
If I were you, though, I wouldn't look too harshly upon men who whistle or flirt with you. Your feminazi attitude is crippling Sweden and Finland, as testosterone is banned and men vilified. Enjoy your rapefugees and delude yourself about your martial arts training, when you've done nothing but neuter the men of your own kind who've only wanted to care for you. Unless you start sentencing rapefugee penises to the guillotine for every offence, you're not going to have any gender equality. Feel free to rage against your own grandfathers, fathers, uncles, brothers, cousins, boyfriends, husbands, sons and nephews, instead of taking a stand against the true enemies. You don't want to face criticisms of the Norden welfare state? Fix the problems. Oh, that's what men do. Women just want to talk about it, not get anything accomplished. You can only cry for help and not appreciate the advice for so long, before you are left to your own devices and must face facts all on your own. You don't want men around? You can be a mean old childless hag until you wither and die, without a future for your society. Keep blaming men for the sad state of emergency that you face. You will never know love and will just have male slaves without any self-respect, which means you don't believe in gender equality after all. Nobody wants a spoilt princess like Taylor Swift. Think more sweetly, yet realistically, like Carrie Underwood.

I wonder what you have drunk mister?

Nope. I'll accept the criticism but only if the talker is willing to look on the mirror (= his own country & his people problems). As just saying some nasty things about another country and your own sucks even more .... sounds both hypocritical & idiotic.

What comes to rest ... you don't know me ... and good to be so. But I see .... I have done a lot (= being responsible) for 20 years old person .... based on your post.

And men are simply great and they'll fix all the things? ''Sure''. Bloody history of humans (= mens world) is one of the greatest example of that skill.

Herr Rentz
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 12:38 AM
Why would a Catholic look down on you just because you're Lutheran?

Finnish Swede
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 12:42 AM
Why would a Catholic look down on you just because you're Lutheran?

Ask that from Rodskarl Dubhgall ...

SpearBrave
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 02:40 AM
Are we discussing The Thirty Years War because some unknown American does not understand German culture and mannerisms?

By the Gods some people will argue over anything.:oanieyes

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 03:16 AM
Why would a Catholic look down on you just because you're Lutheran?I have personally dealt with Catholic Fascists who want a Jesuit victory over Protestants, even if it means burning at the stake and crusades to make it happen. My land should not be contested by Catholics and Atheists, much less Jews and Muslims--it belongs to Protestants.

Ask that from Rodskarl Dubhgall ...
I should have never encouraged you. You belong at The Apricity where you came from. You're Antifa about White Swedish men. You make me sick. Odin of Asgard wants to have sex with you, but I'd say you're not worth groveling for.

I wonder what you have drunk mister?

Nope. I'll accept the criticism but only if the talker is willing to look on the mirror (= his own country & his people problems). As just saying some nasty things about another country and your own sucks even more .... sounds both hypocritical & idiotic.

What comes to rest ... you don't know me ... and good to be so. But I see .... I have done a lot (= being responsible) for 20 years old person .... based on your post.

And men are simply great and they'll fix all the things? ''Sure''. Bloody history of humans (= mens world) is one of the greatest example of that skill.
Have fun being queen of an ash heap while you think it makes you feel better to point fingers elsewhere. For instance, you compare Americans with Mediterraneans, despite our nation being founded in repudiation of the Mediterranean establishment to which Germany was enslaved and had enslaved others by. You still prefer to be naive and ignorant.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Rodskarl Dubhgall: WAU ... you feel you are both judge and jury what comes to me? Sorry to say mister, you are neither of those! Far from that....

Apricity? Hardly, even if I'm exactly the one of us who could still sign in there...opposite to you.

Antifa of Swedish men? I don't even know what that means...but I'm sure I know Swedish much better than you do (my another home country).

I did't mean that Americans are the same (mentally) as Southern Europeans. There was and still is a question mark in my post. But again....I don't keep Germans rude and cold (which is one of the cliches of southern Europeans). And honestly I don't care SHIT about what you Americans are or are not. Especially as you are most likely "everything", incl. huge variations.

PS: I don't go as low as you to start to write some personal insults.

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Forum member ' Rodskal Dubghal' is derailing this thread .

That forum member has changed his username two times the last couple of month ,
changed his age from 50+ now to 35 and changed a lot his heritages in the 'About Me' section.

He claims to be a lorry driver , but my guess is that he is out of work since he spends a lot of
time here posting lengthy snake-like sentences without content ( babble ) .
He claims to be married but my guess is that he is divorced and is playing a facade on skadi.net ,
to stalk female members .

Blood_Axis
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 09:27 AM
I'm an American who recently had to relocate to Germany due to my job and I was quite shocked at the level of cultural difference. Now this isn't my first trip to a European country, I've also heard about the rude Dutch stereotype, but I must say I haven't experienced the same level of rudeness in the Netherlands. Am I simply misunderstanding the German people, are there different standards in Germany as to what is considered friendly and polite?

P.S. I don't mean to insult the Germans, this is just my first impression as a foreigner. I'd like to understand them better, since I am going to be living amongst them for a while.

If you think that Germans are cold and rude, just wait till you take a trip to the Czech Republic :D :D

Wychaert
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 09:44 AM
'...some of the above threads.."

:oanieyes

Back on topic:

Germans are not rude and they don't come over as such on me, in my eyes that is. It's actually quite the opposite. I rather go to concerts in Germany because the folks are really friendly and well mannered. And there's always good atmosphere.
While I have the feeling that in the Netherlands you constantly watching your back and not try to insult someone or get insulted.
Also I find the Germans have patience, while we have none..

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Rodskarl Dubhgall: WAU ... you feel you are both judge and jury what comes to me? Sorry to say mister, you are neither of those! Far from that....

Apricity? Hardly, even if I'm exactly the one of us who could still sign in there...opposite to you.

Antifa of Swedish men? I don't even know what that means...but I'm sure I know Swedish much better than you do (my another home country).

I did't mean that Americans are the same (mentally) as Southern Europeans. There was and still is a question mark in my post. But again....I don't keep Germans rude and cold (which is one of the cliches of southern Europeans). And honestly I don't care SHIT about what you Americans are or are not. Especially as you are most likely "everything", incl. huge variations.

PS: I don't go as low as you to start to write some personal insults. Your misandry is no big secret. I merely regret being friendly, welcoming and putting up with you for so long. You've bitten the hand that fed you. If you want to lump Americans in with Hispanics, maybe you are just some Russian and even Siberian at heart. Nice meeting some Eurasian Eskimo.

Forum member ' Rodskal Dubghal' is derailing this thread .

That forum member has changed his username two times the last couple of month ,
changed his age from 50+ now to 35 and changed a lot his heritages in the 'About Me' section.

He claims to be a lorry driver , but my guess is that he is out of work since he spends a lot of
time here posting lengthy snake-like sentences without content ( babble ) .
He claims to be married but my guess is that he is divorced and is playing a facade on skadi.net ,
to stalk female members .Liar. I didn't have my age public for the duration of your deranged and drunken esoteric rants that you've pulled out of your arse. I almost alone of anyone on here have entertained your presence, because most of your posts don't make sense. I wanted to believe in you because of your claim to be from Schleswig-Holstein and Jutland, hoping your quality of posting would improve. Like with the Eskimo, I've been burned by you after so many instances of positive interaction. I give up on both of you and wash my hands of wasteful, wistful interest in increasing Nordic membership at Skadi. By the way, I am a lorry driver and my journey each day this past week typically ran from 1100-1730 for five drops, before I went out again 1830-2100 for two drops, all M-F. I even drove 0700-1000 Sat, so am glad to have this Sunday off.

:oanieyes

Back on topic:

Germans are not rude and they don't come over as such on me, in my eyes that is. It's actually quite the opposite. I rather go to concerts in Germany because the folks are really friendly and well mannered. And there's always good atmosphere.
While I have the feeling that in the Netherlands you constantly watching your back and not try to insult someone or get insulted.
Also I find the Germans have patience, while we have none..

It is true that Dutch are politically correct and overly sensitive individualists, compared to Germans. Amsterdam has a hustle and bustle absent from most of Germany, but Germans are far more efficient with their time.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Your misandry is no big secret. I merely regret being friendly, welcoming and putting up with you for so long. You've bitten the hand that fed you. If you want to lump Americans in with Hispanics, maybe you are just some Russian and even Siberian at heart. Nice meeting some Eurasian Eskimo.

WAU 2:
Thank you for showing your real colour. Calling me now "Russian", oh....you could't insult me any more! Yes, I agree you are one very rude person ... "yankee"!

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 12:29 PM
WAU 2:
Thank you for showing your real colour. Calling me "Russian", oh....you could't insult me any more. Yes, I agree you are one very rude person! You dirty mongrel "yankee"! See...I can be rude too (as you asked that twice).

The thing is, that you drew first blood by insulting me, when all I ever did was help you integrate here at Skadi. I have an understandable dislike for your attitude problem and will not put up with it. I have enough retorts for your stereotypes based on your own ignorance and arrogance about welfare state exceptionalism and refusal to face the music whilst Norden burns. Are you playing the fiddle, Nero? How long before you use your new guitar to make man-hating songs like Taylor Swift and how will this save your country from the rapefugee crisis? You're barking up the wrong tree. You have no reason to be offended, seeing as how you started this fight.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 12:54 PM
The thing is, that you drew first blood by insulting me, when all I ever did was help you integrate here at Skadi. I have an understandable dislike for your attitude problem and will not put up with it. I have enough retorts for your stereotypes based on your own ignorance and arrogance about welfare state exceptionalism and refusal to face the music whilst Norden burns. Are you playing the fiddle, Nero? How long before you use your new guitar to make man-hating songs like Taylor Swift and how will this save your country from the rapefugee crisis? You're barking up the wrong tree. You have no reason to be offended, seeing as how you started this fight.

Please copy my post where I started this fight ... "yankee". I would like to see it...which one gave you rights to start to insult me (like you have done).

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Please copy my post where I started this fight.. "yankee". I would like to see it...which one gave you rights to start to insult me (like you have done).

You were comparing Americans to Southern Europeans, but then offered no proof when asked as to why. I even tried to meet you halfway by suggesting possible reasons, but you sidestepped the issue of evidence and still insisted on digging in your heels. Nevertheless, you wanted to defend the Central Europeans who actually have an infrastructural relationship with Southern Europeans to the point of going to several wars against Northern Europeans on their behalf, even as my country was founded to reject Southern Europeans who had treated poorly so many of our ancestors to the point of them leaving Europe for America to begin with. You want to lump us all in with our illegal aliens from the old Mexican Empire, but then get offended by being called Russian in reply. Your double standards don't bring resolution to conflicts, only further them.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 01:07 PM
You were comparing Americans to Southern Europeans, but then offered no proof when asked as to why. I even tried to meet you halfway by suggesting possible reasons, but you sidestepped the issue of evidence and still insisted on digging in your heels. Nevertheless, you wanted to defend the Central Europeans who actually have an infrastructural relationship with Southern Europeans to the point of going to several wars against Northern Europeans on their behalf, even as my country was founded to reject Southern Europeans who had treated poorly so many of our ancestors to the point of them leaving Europe for America to begin with. You want to lump us all in with our illegal aliens from the old Mexican Empire, but then get offended by being called Russian in reply. Your double standards don't bring resolution to conflicts, only further them.

So you can not copy anything, can you " yankee"? You just make your own thoughts and analyzes based on my posts (and I'm one who don't even use hers native language here). Tells more about you than me "yankee".

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 01:20 PM
So you can not copy anything, can you " yankee"? You just make your own thoughts and analyzes based on my posts (and I'm one who don't even use hers native language here). Tells more about you than me "yankee".

No, what's happening here is par for the course with your refusal to be held accountable for a poor attitude. You have the luxury of scanning our posts above and feigning ignorance because you don't care about the truth, being more interested in your own rudeness and trying to bluff your way through every dispute with others, as in evidence at The Apricity--anyone may review your arguments there. Therefore, no wonder you identify with the subjects of the thread topic. Birds of a feather and all...

I'm as Yankee as apple pie. Doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm proud of being related to John Adams and Abraham Lincoln.

Schmetterling
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Yes, it is a matter of cultural misunderstandings. What Siebenbürgerin posted was pretty spot on. Germans aren't "rude" or "cold", they just don't share the same kind of values Americans do. Another article which explains the differences: 17 cultural clashes this European had in America (https://www.fluentin3months.com/usa-clashes/)

I've lived both in USA and in Germany, and culturally they are worlds apart. Americans like to talk a lot, make small talk with strangers and tend to be oversensitive towards opinions and criticism, while Germans talk less, only when they feel they have something to say. Another thing is that not all of them speak English, so they might be feeling shy or unconfident to engage in random conversation with a stranger. However, most of them will help with basic things like directions, etc.

Finnish Swede
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 01:34 PM
No, what's happening here is par for the course with your refusal to be held accountable for a poor attitude. You have the luxury of scanning our posts above and feigning ignorance because you don't care about the truth, being more interested in your own rudeness and trying to bluff your way through every dispute with others, as in evidence at The Apricity--anyone may review your arguments there. Therefore, no wonder you identify with the subjects of the thread topic. Birds of a feather and all...

My poor attitude? Very funny! How about your own attitude? Look on the mirror "yankee".

I'm as Yankee as apple pie. Doesn't hurt my feelings. I'm proud of being related to John Adams and Abraham Lincoln. I see ... how about "jenkki" then?

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Your misandry is no big secret. I merely regret being friendly, welcoming and putting up with you for so long. You've bitten the hand that fed you. If you want to lump Americans in with Hispanics, maybe you are just some Russian and even Siberian at heart. Nice meeting some Eurasian Eskimo.

Liar. I didn't have my age public for the duration of your deranged and drunken esoteric rants that you've pulled out of your arse. I almost alone of anyone on here have entertained your presence, because most of your posts don't make sense. I wanted to believe in you because of your claim to be from Schleswig-Holstein and Jutland, hoping your quality of posting would improve. Like with the Eskimo, I've been burned by you after so many instances of positive interaction. I give up on both of you and wash my hands of wasteful, wistful interest in increasing Nordic membership at Skadi. By the way, I am a lorry driver and my journey each day this past week typically ran from 1100-1730 for five drops, before I went out again 1830-2100 for two drops, all M-F. I even drove 0700-1000 Sat, so am glad to have this Sunday off.

It is true that Dutch are politically correct and overly sensitive individualists, compared to Germans. Amsterdam has a hustle and bustle absent from most of Germany, but Germans are far more efficient with their time.

Go away ! Typical Nigroe Behaviour !

You have not entertained anyone here , go play feetsball , if you feel to entertain .

I don't know if I should shed some tears or laugh about your existence !

Resist
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Folks, let's get back to the original topic, and leave the personal and ideological differences for private messages or the correct, corresponding topics. Any more off-topic posts will be removed. Thank you.

Winkelried
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I don't care how Eurosnobs with a long history of ruling over the English Folk in Britain and America feel about how they are affronted by casual and open communication. How dare Saxon peasantry address our liege lords with such liberty? Don't we know our place? Why should they respond favourably to our upright and rebellious nature? The truth is, Britons and Americans are considered bottom of the totem pole among French and Germans, who all look at themselves as aristocrats compared to us "simpletons". The overly sophisticated fops have as little interest in Anglophones as they value our money for their overpriced goods and services. That's what Brexit and Remain are about!
Not sure how you reached that conclusion, that paragraph simply advocated "treat others how you'd like to be treated", i.e. with respect. The person who wrote that blog has a point, actually sometimes tourists (not only Americans, but tourists in general) have this attitude of entitlement, as if natives exist to serve them. The fact that they aren't received with a red carpet doesn't mean that natives perceive themselves to be above them. In many cases it's just a question of lack of time (the person stopped by the tourist might have to hurry for work), they are not native or acquainted with that particular area and they don't want to give the wrong directions, or, as Schmetterling mentioned, they aren't fluent in the language of the tourist.

Gefjon
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Germans are just more blunt and don't beat around the bush. I'm American, but I much prefer the German way in this respect. Less sugarcoating. If someone looks fat in a dress and they ask me if that dress makes 'em look fat, I'm gonna tell 'em the truth. No point in false niceties and political correctness. But let's get somethin' straight, bluntness ain't rude or impolite. It's just calling a spade a spade. ;)

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Yes, it is a matter of cultural misunderstandings. What Siebenbürgerin posted was pretty spot on. Germans aren't "rude" or "cold", they just don't share the same kind of values Americans do. Another article which explains the differences: 17 cultural clashes this European had in America (https://www.fluentin3months.com/usa-clashes/)

I've lived both in USA and in Germany, and culturally they are worlds apart. Americans like to talk a lot, make small talk with strangers and tend to be oversensitive towards opinions and criticism, while Germans talk less, only when they feel they have something to say. Another thing is that not all of them speak English, so they might be feeling shy or unconfident to engage in random conversation with a stranger. However, most of them will help with basic things like directions, etc.Sieben's blogger illustrated correlations between Britons and Americans on one hand, Germans and French on the other. These alignments have several eras behind them, going back to the time before Charlemagne, even to Augustus in Germania, as opposed to Jutland and Britain. It's all about proximity to Rome.

My poor attitude? Very funny! How about your own attitude? Look on the mirror "yankee".

I see ... how about "jenkki" then?He said/she said, rarely end well. This is where rudeness flourishes.

Go away ! Typical Nigroe Behaviour !

You have not entertained anyone here , go play feetsball , if you feel to entertain .

I don't know if I should shed some tears or laugh about your existence !FooSSball happened to be my favourite game, along with Galaga, when I used to compete on the YMCA swim team after school.

Folks, let's get back to the original topic, and leave the personal and ideological differences for private messages or the correct, corresponding topics. Any more off-topic posts will be removed. Thank you. Funny how a debate started by an American about German social attitudes quickly turned into American-bashing by those who have only ever been supported by me on Skadi until this thread. I'd say that Germans are far more polite than the reception I received by them, so don't I feel foolish for having bothered caring for those with disadvantaged positions relative the dominant position of German great power influence upon their regional identities?

Not sure how you reached that conclusion, that paragraph simply advocated "treat others how you'd like to be treated", i.e. with respect. The person who wrote that blog has a point, actually sometimes tourists (not only Americans, but tourists in general) have this attitude of entitlement, as if natives exist to serve them. The fact that they aren't received with a red carpet doesn't mean that natives perceive themselves to be above them. In many cases it's just a question of lack of time (the person stopped by the tourist might have to hurry for work), they are not native or acquainted with that particular area and they don't want to give the wrong directions, or, as Schmetterling mentioned, they aren't fluent in the language of the tourist. I'm as willing to get down to the national psyche, based on historical precedent, as much as the blogger and the OP in this thread and the anti-American members have seized upon stereotypes. I have very little use for anti-German and anti-American stereotypes, unlike everyone else here not dispelling the falsehoods or exaggerating them.

Germans are just more blunt and don't beat around the bush. I'm American, but I much prefer the German way in this respect. Less sugarcoating. If someone looks fat in a dress and they ask me if that dress makes 'em look fat, I'm gonna tell 'em the truth. No point in false niceties and political correctness. But let's get somethin' straight, bluntness ain't rude or impolite. It's just calling a spade a spade. ;) I have nothing against, but everything for, this as my own communication approach. I've never criticized Germans for being just like me. ;)

The Endgame
Sunday, July 8th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Americans like to talk a lot, make small talk with strangers . . ..

That is what is rude. It's rude for a perfect stranger to interrupt someone who is shopping, etc., to talk about nothing of any importance. Put another way: Minding one's own business is more polite than bothering strangers.

Americans also tend to place less value on personal space than northern Europeans do, which is probably related to the gregarious American personality.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 01:23 AM
That is what is rude. It's rude for a perfect stranger to interrupt someone who is shopping, etc., to talk about nothing of any importance. Put another way: Minding one's own business is more polite than bothering strangers.

Americans also tend to place less value on personal space than northern Europeans do, which is probably related to the gregarious American personality.

I'm not like this and have only ever lived in America. I never cared for small talk. That's why I don't like chatrooms and social media sites. I was raised in an Ivy League social environment and my predilection is for academic discussions. I read textbooks, not gossip columns about the Kardashians.

Furthermore, Americans are no less Nordic than Germans. Cut the crap already! What's so gregarious about me? What about the friendly, innocent and naive Nordic stereotype, contrasted with the cold calculation of cynical Machiavellian dictatorships and juntas in Latin Europe/America, or the Soviets?

The Endgame
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 02:40 AM
I'm not like this and have only ever lived in America. I never cared for small talk.

I did not say that all Americans are gregarious busybodies, howver, there are enough Americans who fit those traits that people are able to generalise.

Furthermore, Americans are no less Nordic than Germans.

The Mediterranean portion of America's white population is considerable. This is obvious to anyone who has ever been to New Jersey, New York, or southern New England.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 06:55 AM
I did not say that all Americans are gregarious busybodies, howver, there are enough Americans who fit those traits that people are able to generalise.

There Mediterranean portion of America's white population is considerable. This is obvious to anyone who has ever been to New Jersey, New York, or southern New England.
Jersey Shore Guineas or Dago Wogs and Wops are not Americans but European foreigners on our soil. Maybe, since you claim "Britannic" ancestry, you wish to push a Roman agenda, with us as all merely backward provincial barbarians. You can claim Roman Britannia as the source of your own ethnogenesis, but leave the rest of us out of your identity crisis. Therefore, according to what Finnish Swede and others have stated, you fit the bill like some Mediterranean American, the Ugly American stereotype not belonging to the rest of us. You can't have it both ways. Have your cake and eat it too? Shall we too eat cake, Marie-Antoinette? Dig your own grave! Are you a Channel Islander or something? Maybe a Cornubian or Welchman. Who knows, but certainly non-Saxon.

Wychaert
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 11:21 AM
"...It is true that Dutch are and overly sensitive individualists, compared to Germans. Amsterdam has a hustle and bustle absent from most of Germany, but Germans are far more efficient with their time...."

Politically correct and overly sensitive individuals!?
Are you taking the piss?
Amsterdam is not The Netherlands...
I wonder if you even know what you're talking about..

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Politically correct and overly sensitive individuals!?
Are you taking the piss?
Amsterdam is not The Netherlands...
I wonder if you even know what you're talking about..

Whilst Holland is a pioneer in freedom of speech, the Dutch also have a persecution complex and use this sensitivity to extend validation and acknowledgement of the absolutely ridiculous. Hence, concocting Pim Fortuyn as a martyr. This is the source of Milo as a spokesman for the Alt-Right, having homophiles as a politically correct mouthpiece, a human shield to make politically incorrect statements accepted. Everything perverted and disturbing about Amsterdam is only allowed because to do otherwise, was seen as infringement upon the individuality of persons. Hence, sex and drugs along with a massive foreign enclave resident there. It matters not that you want to disown the chief example of your own policies and society.

If Americans want to be embarrassed over New York City, there's a common thread with Amsterdam of hedonism and outlanders in place of normal folks. Who can be blamed for this but the Dutch in both countries? Most other folks would not tolerate the Sodom and Gomorrah that characterizes old and New Amsterdams, but it had become the new standard for politically correct acceptance and the only thing making a wedge issue among Left-wing activists: hedonism or Sharia? They want both to get universal appreciation, but are being presented with the prospect of making a choice between them and they would rather not, thinking instead all or nothing. Perhaps Jews are involved, that too because of Dutch insistence on including all manner of abnormal society be welcomed in the cause of unfettered individualism that is a free-for-all.

Theunissen
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Americans are generally more outgoing and more revealing in their lives. It has been my experience that Germans are very friendly, but they don't come off as overly cheerful and fake as Americans do. While Americans seem friendly and outgoing it is often not genuine and Americans are more worried about offending and are indirect.
Germans do tend to be somewhat blunt, but not all of them. There are some cultural rules that apply such as you don't generally open a conversation on the train with a stranger. I also noticed a habit of mine that was considered odd...I hold doors open for women and I got some very strange looks for in Germany.

I recall a friend of mine that visited a trade-show in Germany having a similar experience. He stood up for women in the train so they could have the seat. They found that kind of odd to do. I should add that he's kind of a macho guy himself (he worked as a bouncer), and has German ancestry, too. It seems that convention of treating women politely is something that went out the door in Germany (and for that matter other Western countries). Guess one has to applaud feminism for this.

Astragoth
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Jersey Shore Guineas or Dago Wogs and Wops are not Americans but European foreigners on our soil. Maybe, since you claim "Britannic" ancestry, you wish to push a Roman agenda, with us as all merely backward provincial barbarians. You can claim Roman Britannia as the source of your own ethnogenesis, but leave the rest of us out of your identity crisis. Therefore, according to what Finnish Swede and others have stated, you fit the bill like some Mediterranean American, the Ugly American stereotype not belonging to the rest of us. You can't have it both ways. Have your cake and eat it too? Shall we too eat cake, Marie-Antoinette? Dig your own grave! Are you a Channel Islander or something? Maybe a Cornubian or Welchman. Who knows, but certainly non-Saxon.

Oh great its the who's white or not game. Its a common tactic with most forum trolls.

Chlodovech
Monday, July 9th, 2018, 04:01 PM
No, what's happening here is....

...F.S. saying that Southern Europeans and perhaps Americans as well think that Germans are "rude" because of the person who created this thread - that's it - it was never about how Germanic Euro-America is - you misunderstood F.S. because of the chip on your shoulder, then derailed the thread by ranting and insulting F.S. and calling her a feminazi. That's what happened. You simply misunderstood F.S. due to your sensitivities and you smuggled all your pet peeves into one more thread, all of them, all off-topic. What followed was an unsavoury drama in which a grown man behaves inappropriately, emotionally manipulative and downright creepy towards a twenty year old girl. There's no place for that on Skadi.

This thread is closed, for now.

EDIT: Thread has been re-opened.

Volk und Rasse
Wednesday, January 9th, 2019, 09:23 PM
It's definitely true that southern Europeans and Americans are excessively talkative, and that look fake.
But I like the over-polite culture of british people (and in this case some americans). It may look odd, but it have a charm for me.

A middle way is the best way.

Gareth Lee Hunter
Thursday, January 10th, 2019, 12:06 AM
It's definitely true that southern Europeans and Americans are excessively talkative, and that look fake.
But I like the over-polite culture of british people (and in this case some americans). It may look odd, but it have a charm for me.

A middle way is the best way.

Well, that's mighty white of you. :P

Rodulf
Friday, January 11th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Back in my Army days I was stationed in Berlin, 2/6 Infantry. The Germans seemed to be in a state of Stockholm Syndrome. The girls did not appeal to me. They seemed wrung out and emotionally wasted, incredibly naive and anxious to prove they were not racist. I frankly blame all this on the US/UK. We destroyed the highest expression of the Aryan Folk in Europe and forced race-mixing on the population to further wreck them.
Sorry for the rant, but this is a pet abomination of mine...

Rodulf
Friday, January 11th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

SaxonPagan
Friday, January 11th, 2019, 01:28 PM
The girls did not appeal to me. They seemed wrung out and emotionally wasted, incredibly naive and anxious to prove they were not racist

Sadly, I'd have to go along with this.

I just couldn't communicate with German women, they seemed very remote :(

I did, however, manage to find a German GF during my 14-month stay (..who said exactly the same thing!) :D

schwab
Friday, January 11th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Sadly, I'd have to go along with this.

I just couldn't communicate with German women, they seemed very remote :(

I did, however, manage to find a German GF during my 14-month stay (..who said exactly the same thing!) :D

Interesting!
I could not care much for any French girl.
I hopped over the Rhine river and got me a German girl.