PDA

View Full Version : Familiar Faces Seem More Friendly

Vetinari
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM
Far from opposites attracting, people tend to choose friends who look like them, research suggests.

However, psychologist Dr Lisa DeBruine found a facial resemblance is not a turn-on when we are looking for a partner.

She believes we may have evolved to prefer the company of people who remind us of family - but have a biological block to prevent incest.

The study is published in the Journal of the Royal Society.

The researchers showed volunteers male and female faces that had been computer-manipulated to produce a 'family resemblance'.

Men liked other men's faces that resembled their own and women liked other women's faces that resembled their own.

However, a facial resemblance did not influence attraction to opposite-sex faces.

Dr DeBruine, of McMaster University, Canada, said previous research had shown that people were more likely to trust others who looked like them.

In one of her previous studies she found people playing a two-person monetary investment game over the internet while viewing a picture of the "second player" were more likely to trust this player if the picture was digitally morphed to resemble them.

She believes it may be possible that we are evolved to place greater trust, and to have greater affection for, people who look as though they may be related to us because the chances are higher that they share the same genes as us.

By forging a bond in this way, it could help these people to thrive, and thus, in evolutionary terms, to pass their genes down to the next generation.

Professor David Perrett, of the Perception Lab at St Andrew's University, told BBC News Online: "It is likely that people who look similar to ourselves share our genes, and it makes sense to help the cause of these individuals because, in effect, we are helping our own genes."

However, he said it was important that individuals are not instinctively attracted sexually to people who look like them as inbreeding can increase the risk of disease and genetic disorder significantly.

"We should trust people who share our genes, build friendships with them, but not go to bed with them," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3613570.stm

Evolved
Saturday, September 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM
How does this play out in racially homogenous areas like East Asia and West Africa? As the great Tupac Shakur once said in the film Poetic Justice, "We' black, we' all family."

Julius
Saturday, September 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM
I saw a British documentary with John Cleese called The Human Face (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0280262/) about how we often chose a mate whose face resembles our own. I believe so too.

By the way, I also wonder if incest is all bad genetic-wise. I know a Pit Bull breeder who gets his best dog fighters through mating the champions in the same family. :P They can get skin diseases and such, but they inherit the superior genes for pit fighting and show the exact same behaviour (I don't like what they do with these poor dogs).

Of course, humans are more advanced beings and incest should not be tolerated. But future Eugenic breeding-factories might carry out some interesting research on how to come up with the best genes. ;)

Vetinari
Tuesday, September 7th, 2004, 05:38 PM
How does this play out in racially homogenous areas like East Asia and West Africa? As the great Tupac Shakur once said in the film Poetic Justice, "We' black, we' all family."

Are you sure that you are in the right forum?

Evolved
Tuesday, September 7th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

Vetinari
Wednesday, September 8th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

Sorry. People usually use some sort of icon or other way of indicating sarcasm. ;)

Northern Paladin
Wednesday, September 8th, 2004, 07:42 PM
So is this supposed to be a justification for Racism?

Rhydderch
Monday, July 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Far from opposites attracting, people tend to choose friends who look like them, research suggests.Interesting. This is certainly very much what I have always noticed.

However, psychologist Dr Lisa DeBruine found a facial resemblance is not a turn-on when we are looking for a partner.Nonsense, it definitely is. However, it would be a mistake to think that this might tend toward incest; that's not how it works.

There are other reasons why it does not result in one being attracted to somebody he knows to be a close relative. People are not instinctively attracted to close relatives as such, they are attracted to people who resemble close relatives.

In other words it's the close relation (rather than the similarity accompanying it) that is in itself a "turn-off" when it comes to the opposite sex.