PDA

View Full Version : Should/Will Greenland Secede From Denmark?

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Friday, May 21st, 2004, 12:28 AM
I believe that the Danes should consult with the Norse to find some way for Groenland to be Island's. I also believe that the Foroyar should also be appended to Island.

Evolved
Friday, May 21st, 2004, 12:33 AM
The people of Greenland are predominantly Danish on the paternal side today anyway.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Friday, May 21st, 2004, 12:39 AM
Uh huh, but the Danes don't have any real business so far north, which is why they are "returning" Greenland to the Inuit. Perhaps they should swallow their pride and accept resignment to the Norse who deserve Greenland more. It is really too bad the Danes abused the Norse so much, taking three colonies away. If Foroyar and Iceland had remained Norse controlled, then also would have Greenland. There is no such thing as New Norway as a colony larger than a town. Of course there has been New Sweden. Hah, I just remembered Denmark had the Virgin Isles before pawning them off to America. Perhaps Denmark should consider a union with Sweden, to avoid being sucked into Europe!

Theudanaz
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 06:57 AM
The Danes are already considered European by the rest of Scandinavia. Their incompetence at war, pacifist, humanitarian and anticolonial agenda have lost them a great deal of land already. Fortunately that has been mostly to other European nations such as Norway, Iceland, England, Sweden & Germany. Danes often joke about their country being the largest in Scandinavia (if you take Grønland into account, which few do).

-Thiudans

Dr. Solar Wolff
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 07:52 AM
Denmark should re-patriate the Eskimos to Alaska. Greenland, in a world of global warming, might be paradise. Maybe it could be a Nordid homeland.

Es gibt ein Koenig im Thule,
War treu bis zu dem Grab,
German Poem
"Thule" is Greenland and it has always been a part of us.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Monday, May 31st, 2004, 08:36 AM
Hey! Nobody but the Norse belong there! The Inuits invaded Groenland! The Danes stole it! Don't get any funny ideas now...

Verslingen
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 06:01 AM
Bah just get the damn Danes outta our waters so we can make a decent living again!

v.

AryanGirlDK
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 06:08 AM
DAMN DANES??? *hmpf*!!! We own Greenland /Grønland! And we will allways do.

Verslingen
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 06:18 AM
No offense but my family fishes the waters you giant shrimp ships cull destorying our livelihood.

V

Evolved
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 08:15 AM
Photos of Greenland (http://www.jensjk.dk/indexe.htm)

Narsaq (http://www.greenland-guide.gl/narsaq-tourist/photos.htm)

Narsaq Foto (http://www.greenland-guide.gl/narsaq-foto/default.htm)

Looks beautiful. Any kind of mass settlement and industrialization would destroy it though.

Rodskarl Dubhgall
Friday, September 3rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Greenland to Nunavut to Labrador to Newfoundland should be a place of holy pilgrimage for those of us with viking descent.

Verðandi
Sunday, December 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
The commission created to grant Greenland greater autonomy has entered a state of limbo, Berlingske Tidende newspaper reports.

More... (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.denm ark.dk%2Fen%2Fservicemenu%2FNews%2FDomes ticPoliticalNews%2FGreenlandNegotiations PutOnIce.htm)

Janus
Sunday, December 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I might add that the headline is (un)intentionally fitting and funny in this case.

Dagna
Thursday, February 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Greenlanders ready to break free?

Greenland has been ruled by Denmark for more than two centuries but now the people there want to be their own masters.

Following a nationwide referendum, the overwhelming consensus was for Greenland to go it alone…but is Greenland truly ready for independence?

Greenland is the largest island on earth, but not enough to be a continent in its own right, nor even a nation.

Its icy lands are almost half the size of the entire European Union but just 56,000 people live there. It remains a protectorate of Denmark, its former colonial master.

Hans Enoksen, Prime Minister of Greenland dreams his country will become independent one day.

“It’s always been my dream to see us take control of our own destiny, to be our own masters, during my lifetime,” he said.

The first step was taken on November 25 when the largely Inuit population of the island went to the polls over a plan for greater self-determination. A resounding 75% voted “Yes!”

It means the government in the capital Nuuk can now take on some 32 new areas of responsibility including: its police force, the law courts, and the coast guard, but not its own foreign and defence policies. They will still be managed over 3,500 km away from Copenhagen.

Greenland can still rely on the annual subsidiary it receives from Denmark. At $US 588 million it accounts for some two-thirds of the island’s economy. It’s something they’d lose if all ties with Denmark were severed.

“Independence is Independence,” said Mikaela Engell, the Senior Counselor for Greenland in the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. “Independence is setting up a country of your own, with an economy of your own. Greenland is sort of in a middle stage right now - but full statehood means full independence, which means no grants.”

Could Greenland, however, cope without that support?

Extended self-rule also means a revision of rules under which oil revenues are split with Denmark in Greenland’s favour.

“It’s not a question anymore, even if they are going to find oil in Greenlandic area, and they will, it’s only a question of time now,” said Per Berthelsen, the Greenlandic Minister for Finance and Foreign Affairs.

Up to 100 billion barrels are thought to lurk beneath the icy waters, which is almost half the size of Saudi Arabia’s entire reserves. So is oil what the referendum was really all about?

"I think they were voting for the hope they were going to earn a lot of money on their oil,” said Mr Soren Espersen, MP from the Danish People’s Party. “But I don’t believe that such a small country, and so badly educated as Greenland, compared to the rest of the Nordic countries, will be able to maintain like a foreign service. So I think it will be such an easy grab for the Americans.”

There’s no denying the scale of social problems that plague Greenland’s tiny population: alcohol abuse, domestic violence and a staggeringly high suicide rate. Even the centre for sexually abused children in the capital Nuuk says it can’t cope with demand for spaces.

So will greater autonomy be a hindrance or a help? This question, however, is not something that dominates neighbourly conversation. People here say they’re more concerned about Greenland’s increasingly warm waters and thinning ice.

Greenlander Niels Davidsen comes from a long line of hunters.

“We can’t just become totally independent from Denmark, and we don’t want that anyway. We just want more self-control,” he said.

http://www.russiatoday.com/features/news/35984

forkbeard
Friday, February 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Obviously its America wanting to steal Denmarks oil.
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp234/wilhelmII/ambom2.jpg
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp234/wilhelmII/amb4.jpg
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp234/wilhelmII/amb5.jpg

Siebenbürgerin
Thursday, June 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I've read a news article about Greenland and its independence:

Greenland abandoned to the Inuit Asiatics by Denmark

The Arctic island of Greenland is assuming self-rule, in the latest step towards independence from Denmark.

The move follows a referendum on greater autonomy in November. It will see Greenland take a greater share of revenues from its natural resources.

The local government is taking control of the police and the courts. Greenlandic - or Kalaallisut - becomes the official language.

Denmark has the final say in defence and foreign-policy matters.

Copenhagen has ruled Greenland for three centuries. It granted the territory limited sovereignty in 1979.

But the new self-rule system takes the Arctic island and its 57,000 inhabitants closer to independence.

http://assets.adevarul.ro/assets/articles/2009/06/230415/highres_00000401768445.jpg

One more formerly European territory was lost to Asians.

Here the source:
http://news.ronatvan.com/2009/06/24/greenland-abandoned-to-the-inuit-asiatics-by-denmark/

So what is your view on this country? Should it become completely independent or should it remain under Denmark's control? Does Greenland's independence mean losing it to Asians as the article says it is?
I don't know so much about Greenland so maybe someone could clarify the importance of this theme to Germanics.

Ossi
Thursday, June 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
If it's full of Inuits, then it's better separated from Denmark and the EU than giving them a free run to immigrate wherever they want as "Danish" citizens. How many Danes are there left over there?

Willow
Thursday, June 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I don't know anything about Greenland, but i do know that the asian-Greenlanders have a real alcohol problem. You usually see then around Copenhagen train station drinking beer. I just thought they were Chinese. I thought it weird that Chinese people would be hanging around drunk/drinking beer, i mean, it's not really part of their culture. But then someone said they were from Greenland. There's an asian guy on danish tv too, who i also thought was Chinese, until someone told me he was from Greenland...I was surprised. I never realized that there were asians there and i don't know anything about the history. I mean who was there first and how did asians get there...??

velvet
Friday, June 26th, 2009, 12:24 AM
They are not really asian, or better, they have been asien about 2500 years ago, before they went over the Bering street to Canada. They came to Grönland around the same time like Leif Erikson (around 1000), due to his trade relations to Canadian region Vinland. The nordish christians and the Canadian Thule people are the basic make up of the, indeed quite asian looking, Grönland people. There is also a German admixture present from the 12th century, when Grönland was part of the Bremer diocese. They went off quite soon again, but left a lot of German family names.
The original Inuit are almost completely gone. The Danish people still present there make up for about 12%, but ever more and more go back to Denmark.

The alcohol problem is a legacy of their asian descent. Like the most Asian people (also Australian Aborignies and Amerindian people) they are missing the enzymes (alcohol oxidase) to phase out the alcohol and become almost immediately addicted.

I'm not that fond of the idea that Grönland becomes fully independent from Denmark, specially in hindsight of the planned mineral mining by America. After all, it was for a very long time european/danish and we built the infrastructure. And now when global warming enables (what a madness, actually) to mine them, we expose that island to the American greedy mining industries and let it have destroyed within the next few years? Nono, I think it should stay Danish, even when I think the people should stay there.

Hipriformkatus
Friday, June 26th, 2009, 05:13 AM
the missing enzyme is alcohol dehydrogenase. apparently europeans brewed beer while asians brewed tea:D

all in service to getting something to drink that wasn't contaminated during more primitive times/in cities that did not or could not depend on fresh water supplies (springs etc).

early versions of 'water treatment'

Gardisten
Monday, June 29th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Hmmm... just a few years ago Denmark got into a little bit of a spat with Canada over tiny Hans Island and now they happily relinquish Greenland.

In Canada there has been a gradual fragmentation of the North: the creation of Nunavut, concessions to the Inuit of Labrador... Natives are always looking for more self-governance and so who knows what's in store for the future. Unfortunately, others are also eyeing Canada's North (ie. Russia), and these petty self-governance issues may balloon into serious geo-political issues.

Blod og Jord
Wednesday, May 16th, 2018, 08:55 PM
Greenland’s election in late April was largely a vote on independence — a crucial and unifying issue. Whatever the ultimate composition of the ruling coalition, the secession from Denmark seems to be a foregone conclusion. Six out of seven political parties support the idea and they won. A referendum will also offer a thumbs-up. The Greenlandic people have been inspired by Iceland’s example and want to make their home, the largest island in the world, a member of the family of independent nations. Some suggest that independence could be declared by 2021.

Greenland left the EU in 1984 while not leaving the Kingdom of Denmark — an EU member state. This was an unprecedented situation. There was no mechanism in place in those days for pulling out of the bloc but this island did it. This proves that Scotland and Northern Ireland could find a way to remain simultaneously parts of the UK and the EU if they wanted to. There’s no need for hard choices; they could have both.

Greenland was granted home rule in 1979 and self-rule in 2009. Denmark’s constitution recognizes its right to become a sovereign nation but it would then lose the subsidies it receives from Copenhagen, which make up about 60% of the island’s annual budget.

Greenland isn’t green. Roughly 80% of its land is covered by ice, but that percentage is diminishing each year, paving the way for crops and scenery that brings in tourists. Iceland has recently made big strides toward becoming a tourist destination. Greenland could take a page out of its book.

Tourist infrastructure and mining can help bring Greenlanders closer to their goal of becoming a self-sufficient country. Rare-earth elements could turn it into a diplomatic flash point. China’s influence is strong and will probably grow, as Greenland badly needs foreign investment.

But in that case it would have to leave NATO, casting doubt over the fate of the US Air Force base in Thule, which is a component of NORAD and the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System. Last year the US completed a significant upgrade of that site. The island is going to leave Denmark and NATO at just about the same time that the US Navy is accelerating its plan to beef up its Arctic capability.

The melting ice offers more than just new economic opportunities. It is also revealing the danger to the environment posed by a US top-secret Cold War military base where toxic agents were stored. The site was abandoned in 1967 under the assumption that it would remain eternally frozen. Now it is rising to the surface as its ice covering melts. This problem is not making the local population more warmly disposed to the US. The idea of the two countries working together militarily is not popular. Former Greenlandic Foreign Minister Vittus Qujaukitsoq believes that “The American presence has been nothing but trouble, nothing but environmental pollution, and it has created a crisis of trust between Greenland and Denmark.”

Once it loses Greenland, Denmark will no longer be an Arctic state, but China could have a proxy vote in Arctic matters, as Paula Briscoe, an analyst at the Council on Foreign Relations, put it. As an independent state and a new member of the Arctic Council, Greenland will have to cooperate with Russia, the world leader in icebreaker construction. Moscow can share its wealth of experience finding profit in the region — something Greenland will badly need. The Russian-Chinese relationship is warming up in the Arctic, and Greenland could benefit from that. Once it is independent, it will not have to abide by the sanctions against Russia, thus paving the way for a thriving economic relationship with that country, spurred by the lucrative opportunities that are emerging as the snow continues to melt.

Greenland’s independence will no doubt inspire secessionist movements in Denmark (such as the Faroese independence movement) and across Europe, where aspirations for independence are on the rise. Scotland, Catalonia, Basque, Flanders, Veneto — the list can go on. With the opportunities for economic prosperity about to open up and the relations between the Arctic Five regulated by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, Greenland will not have to choose between the West or the East. It could freely define its own national interests and do the right thing as interpreted in Nuuk, not in the capitals of the NATO member states. Equipped with a reliable base of resources, it could take the best from its Arctic partners, Russia, China, Australia, or anyone with a lucrative deal to offer. Greenland will be able to make its own decisions as to whether it needs other nation’s military bases on its territory that only make it a target in the event of an armed conflict that doesn’t concern Nuuk.https://www.lewrockwell.com/2018/05/no_author/will-greenland-join-the-family-of-independent-nations/

Uwe Jens Lornsen
Thursday, May 17th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Likely Greenland will secede.

All the small steps towards independence done so far will have a final result.

Mööv
Thursday, May 17th, 2018, 03:33 PM
If they secede and the ice comes back, they'll be crying for mommy. :D