PDA

View Full Version : Oblique Eyes in some Europeans

Evolved
Saturday, August 28th, 2004, 01:01 PM
A trait I notice among some Northern, Eastern, and Northeastern Europeans is oblique eyes. This needs to be distinguished from the epicanthic fold (a Mongoloid and Arctic trait), which gives the appearance of slanting eyes. Oblique eyes actually are slanted. I've always wondered the source of this trait. Does anyone know more about it, besides the basic geography?

It would be interesting to see how many times oblique eyes and eyefolds have been confused for one another. It is possible for someone to exhibit both traits (such as Björk).

So, I'm attaching images from Finnish and Russian model sites of oblique-eyed people, together with 2 Swedish famous examples: Rebecca Liljeberg and Peter Forsberg, and 1 Polish famous example: Tomasz Kuszczak.

Evolved
Saturday, August 28th, 2004, 01:01 PM
famous examples

Evolved
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Young Saamis :)

So is it a Uralic or 'Lapponoid' trait?

rusalka
Wednesday, September 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM
Cool photos.

I remember one Pontid guy's photo from one of the plates, the one with dark hair and light eyes -the example used for Northern Pontid on this and other boards- who had such oblique eyes and amongst the Pontid types I know I must say that it's not an uncommon trait as far as I can observe. Most Northwestern Caucasians are considered to be of the Pontid phenotype and it's a very common trait in them too. I don't know where the influence in such Pontid types would be from but if it is from some sort of connection it would more likely be Uralic than Lapponoid, I guess.

Vojvoda
Thursday, September 2nd, 2004, 03:43 AM
I think it's an eastern European UP trait as opposed to southernly protruding frog-eyes :D