PDA

View Full Version : My Friendly Boss, by Adolf Hitler's Telephonist

Evolved
Thursday, August 26th, 2004, 01:35 AM
My friendly boss, by Adolf Hitler's telephonist
ALLAN HALL IN BERLIN

FIFTY-NINE years ago he worked a switchboard for a powerful man whose personal number was Berlin 120050. But Rochus Misch was no ordinary telephonist and ‘the boss’ not a run-of-the-mill employer.

Mr Misch served Adolf Hitler for nearly five years of the war and is now the last surviving member of ‘the bunker’ entourage - the clique of Nazis which included the propaganda minister, Josef Goebbels, and the party secretary, Martin Bormann, who were in the Führer’s subterranean bolthole when he committed suicide with his mistress Eva Braun.

Misch, 87, has emerged with his reminiscences of the time and place of cataclysmic events as a younger generation of Germans gets ready to confront Hitler on the big screen with the release of a new film.

The Downfall is the story of the madness in the bunker in those last days of April, 1945 - and has caused controversy because it is said to "humanise" a man who ordered the slaughter of six million Jews.

Misch, who spent nine years as a prisoner of the Russians after the fall of Berlin, does not deny the Holocaust happened. But he has fond memories of the man the inner circle always called "boss".

"He was a boss who joked with his staff; who loved Charlie Chaplin and watched Gone With The Wind three times," said Misch, a member of the elite SS unit responsible for Hitler’s security from 1940 until the Red Army stormed the bunker.

"How could we fail to find this out about the Jews - my God, we knew nearly everything that was going on, us in the inner circle, we were always there, day and night.

"Yes, it happened, but I cannot imagine it. I cannot imagine Hitler as a murderer. It is simply impossible. He was so friendly, nice.

"If I met him today, I would say: ‘Mein Führer, I did not really get to know you that well. For five years we could look each other straight in the eye and smile and ... all these things that have been written, where did that all come from? I never knew you to be like that’.

"I was never a Nazi or a Hitler Youth. I was a soldier drafted to do his duty for his country," he told the BZ newspaper in an interview in Berlin yesterday.

"I was a soldier. I didn’t think about anything other than doing my job. I was 23 when I came to work for him after I was badly wounded in the Polish campaign in 1940.

"I remember 30 April, 1945 very well. It was in the afternoon that Hitler said his goodbyes to everyone. He looked stonily at us, went into his room and we waited for the shot."

He doesn’t know if he will join the queues to see The Downfall. "Why should I?" he said. "I have seen it all before - and it was no movie."

Scotsman.com (http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=998572004)

ogenoct
Thursday, August 26th, 2004, 01:45 AM
He doesn’t know if he will join the queues to see The Downfall. "Why should I?" he said. "I have seen it all before - and it was no movie."
As opposed to all the poor German school children who will - no doubt about it! - be herded into the theatres in droves to watch the latest piece of propaganda, Hitler's telephonist at least has a valid excuse not to watch this latest anti-German opus.

Constantin

Agrippa
Thursday, August 26th, 2004, 01:52 AM
I'm not sure about that, probably this film will be considered as being to dangerous for the youth, or at least not as "instructive" as "Holocaust" or "Schindlers list"...
Because the school children could sympathize with the "Nazis" if they are shown as "too human".